Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Even though the fence held, let's all hope that if one does ever break through and head into the bleachers that it's at a truck race. Literally no one will be in danger outside of the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

in re: to the country discussion

Daddy's Cup by DBT is the greatest country racing song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McW2NwWtR9E. It's an ode to saturday night short track racing.

Also, anyone who says country is dead hasn't listened to Sturgill Simpson. All of his poo poo is good but here he is on Letterman doing the greatest trucking song since Jerry Reed did East Bound and Down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPMuG6a31o (cover of an old Buford Abner tune).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Pretty cool to see the MB Motorsports #63 kicking some rear end in practice! The owner/crew chief Mike Mittler was a real hardass to work for, but drat if that guy doesn't bust his rear end to continue to race on a small budget. Here's to hoping they can make a good showing tonight.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Some of my old friends are going nuts right now I reckon.

I worked for mb motorsports' parent company, Mittler Bros. I ran the website and was in marketing. The race shop is right down the street and during the season people ferry back and forth between "real job" and there. I did the graphics for the truck, ran their website, press releases, and all sorts of other odd jobs as needed.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 23, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

That's awesome, they deserve the success for everything they've put into the series.

There is kind of a joke around here (in St. Louis, Mo) that if you are into racing you've either worked for, sponsored, or at the very least met Mike Mittler. Dude is always hustlin'

I worked there in 2010 right after the economy tanked so it was pretty ugly. Glad they are doing better now.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I hope pierce can get him on the restart here.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I am so loving nervous here

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Well gently caress, still so happy for the 63 team. That was insane

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The 63 at post race inspection, lol - https://instagram.com/p/5etCtMFCAd/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Outside of the killer racing I think my favorite part of last night was Smoke working the bottom on that tractor.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Bristol night race is coming up on Saturday August 22nd which is my favorite race of the year. Yeah, it doesn't have the death defying type of poo poo that you'll see at the big super speedways like Talladega or Daytona, but it's still very cool to see short track racing at night, under the lights, in that badass stadium.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yep, short track racing used to be the best thing. It was a royal rumble where everyone wanted to kill each other by the end of the night. Nowadays it's more tame but its still fun.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

anotherblownsave posted:

loving laughed way too hard at that story. RIP Buddy

I'm crying laughing so hard. That was great.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That is a perfect tribute. Very well done.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

When did the Darlington throwback thing become a thing? I do not seem to remember this.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

I am hoping to hell this becomes a yearly thing at Darlington

These teams are going to sell so much loving merchandise that it surely will be a thing.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Gordon blew his load early with the Rainbow Warrior theme this weekend, I guess.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Clint Bowyer wins the Darlington throwback paint scheme award - http://nascartalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/24/clint-bowyer-reveals-buddy-baker-tribute-paint-scheme-for-southern-500/

The real paint is a great touch.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Considering how this whole throwback thing has seemingly come out of nowhere this year, now that it's a thing I bet all the teams will be running a throwback/retro job next year. I can't handle all these cool paintjobs. The Skoal Bandit is the icing on the cake.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's a "Dale Earnhardt's silver paint scheme from the 1995 Winston" moment for a new generation. We're going to have special schemes at Darlington out the wazoo and it'll be fun to see what people continue to come up with. Some of them (Ricky Craven 32) could be run over and over and probably not get boring.

...until people get bored with it or NASCAR finds a way to gently caress it up somehow.

Also, Jesus Christ:

Said it before, will say it again. The driver who won't be in the field next year is one of the few not running a retro scheme. :allears:

I would never doubt NASCAR's ability to run something into the ground, but many of these schemes really are timeless so even if they just run a lot of them over and over each year it would still be cool. It's also pretty outrageous Gordon is not running something. I get that they already did the rainbow warrior and that they have contracts with their sponsors for specific races....but at some point couldn't he pull a "I'm motherfucking Jeff Gordon, this is my last year, and I want to run a throwback scheme. Let's figure something out guys."?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Some of the crews are using throwback unis :swoon:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

John Force is running a Jeff Gordon tribute funny car this weekend in North Carolina. Pretty sweet. http://www.nhra.com/story/2015/9/15/force-gordon-charlotte/

Also, I got hired back into the NASCAR world. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Where ya workin, John?

Back to the 63 and 36 truck team. Eldora should be fun next year :)

• Locked thread