Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It couldn't have been planned to be Hornswoggle. They don't think that far ahead. They had dropped it for a long time before the throwaway reveal. The worst thing to come out of that was heel Michael Cole, not the reveal. Cole literally made me stop watching sometimes. I don't care how effective that is for heel work, if viewers are turning away it's too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Then a while after Cole stopped being such a heel, Cena beat him up and poured BBQ sauce on him.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Animal-Mother posted:

The dumbest thing I've seen in wrestling was when Vince wanted to do an incest angle with his daughter and almost went through with it.

I thought he merely suggested it and had it shot down? I mean, still creepy as gently caress and dumb, but not quite 'almost went through with it.' Like, I was under the impression Lucas and Spielberg gave more time and thought to making Indiana Jones a pedophile than Vince did towards making himself having kayfabe hosed his daughter.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I agree that heel Michael Cole was more detrimental to my personal enjoyment of the product than just about anything else

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought he merely suggested it and had it shot down? I mean, still creepy as gently caress and dumb, but not quite 'almost went through with it.' Like, I was under the impression Lucas and Spielberg gave more time and thought to making Indiana Jones a pedophile than Vince did towards making himself having kayfabe hosed his daughter.

Then there was Paul Burchill and his "sister". Goddammit, one day Vince will see his dream of an incest angle play through!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Then there was Paul Burchill and his "sister". Goddammit, one day Vince will see his dream of an incest angle play through!

So there's been, what, four attempts?

- Beaver Cleavage and his "mother"
- Ken Shamrock and Ryan Shamrock
- Vince and Stephanie
- Paul Burchill and Katie Lea

Any I'm missing?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Nah, it's more than that. Vince had a promo during that time about passing a teenage Stephanie around among his business associates, and literally said "It's almost as if I personally deflowered her."

I have to believe that was his compromise for not allowing him to go full Lannister.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Gavok posted:

- Ken Shamrock and Ryan Shamrock
- Vince and Stephanie
- Paul Burchill and Katie Lea

Any I'm missing?

honestly i'm surprised they haven't already done a lesbian pollen angle with Nikki and Brie

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dr. rear end posted:

honestly i'm surprised they haven't already done a lesbian pollen angle with Nikki and Brie

Well they can look, but they can't touch.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
PMS and Meat kinda comes to mind.

Then there was a super long match with Giant Gonzales and The Undertaker at a Wrestlemania, where it took forever for Taker to get Chloroformed.

Harvey Whippleman winning the Women's title, and competes in strip matches, with other Divas. Or was it a Gravy match? It might have been both at one time or the other, I think that story went on for a few months.

The fact that those strip matches were even a thing, too. Evening Gown Matches?

There are small times when I miss the 24/7 Hardcore Title stuff with Crash Holly.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
For me it's the spot the Wolves do where they push an opponent's head at his partner so he ends up in the DDT setup, then dropkick the partner, causing them to fall back and hit the other guy with a DDT. If you've not seen it you can't really understand how terrible it is. But it is one of their regular spots.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Paul Bearer being pushed down a manhole.

I have to ask: did he fit?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Someone reminded me of the existence of this one in another thread.

So back in the day, before he became a suicidal shell of a man, Zack Ryder had his Z Long Island Story YouTube series. Despite being cut off at the knees by that terrible Cena/Kane/Eve story far later, the series was really great. He was a jobber heel with nothing left to lose who got over by being charming, self-deprecating, having a decent cast of supporting characters (fellow wrestlers, his father and his bodybuilder friend) and breaking kayfabe just enough. Plus he got the fans involved on a week-to-week basis. It really got people behind him and made him a legit underdog you could cheer for.

Tyler Reks saw this and didn't seem to understand WHY it worked. And thus, we got the Midcard Mafia.

The Midcard Mafia was about the animated adventures of Reks, Curt Hawkins, Drew McIntyre and Tyson Kidd. With the exception of maybe McIntyre, calling them "midcard" was extremely generous since they were just guys who lost dark matches all the time and got a paycheck. Also, it probably wasn't the best idea to name themselves after a TNA stable.

The sub-sub-South Park animation was extremely bad and the audio wasn't much better. The series lasted for three episodes and despite the fact that it was supposed to be comedic, there's not a single laugh to be had throughout. It was painful in every way.

Despite all of the aforementioned problems, the biggest thing working against it was the tone. When Ryder joked about how he was trying to get over and WWE was dropping the ball on him, he did it with a smile. He was being silly and poked fun at himself. Reks and the rest were straight up bitter and mean-spirited. The first episode was about them constantly making GBS threads on Titus O'Neil and not in a way that seemed especially playful or even brought his wrestling into question. Just that they simply didn't like him. The second episode was about five minutes of whining about how Michael Cole had stolen their spot. How for some reason Cole doing heel commentary was a role that could have been used for them to get over. I don't know either.

The third episode had to do with a heatwave and they went to go visit Arn Anderson to ask how to get rid of their heat. That is... actually not the worst joke. Too bad they decided to put a photo of Chris Benoit in the background of the Arn scene.

By that point, WWE finally told them to cut it out and Reks tried to start up a hashtag of #BringBacktheMCM. It didn't take. The first three episodes have since been taken down and there's a trailer and preview for a second season that never got made.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Squalitude posted:

He did, but it was CLOSE.

He also took it like a champ and went down head-first.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"Rosie O'Donnell" vs. "Donald Trump" from several years ago on Raw.

To this day I don't know what the gently caress that was all about.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Retail Slave posted:

Vince's usual attempts at being topical.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Gavok posted:

Any I'm missing?

Didn't Beaver walk off on his very first live interview on Raw? They had all those vingettes but when they got him out in front of a live crowd he was like "I can't do this anymore" and walked off.

I was pissed that I missed it, too, because I had flipped over to Nitro at the time. I remember JR sternly admonishing him coming back from commercial.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Genetic Toaster posted:

Chavo Guerrero renouncing his hispanic heritage and renaming himself "Kerwin White".

The best/worst part of the gimmick was that the Eddie Guerrero Memorial Raw credits Chavo as something like "WWE's Kerwin White."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Retail Slave posted:

Didn't Beaver walk off on his very first live interview on Raw? They had all those vingettes but when they got him out in front of a live crowd he was like "I can't do this anymore" and walked off.

I was pissed that I missed it, too, because I had flipped over to Nitro at the time. I remember JR sternly admonishing him coming back from commercial.

They later claimed that was a work to reset his gimmick. I've always had a little doubt in the back of my mind about that, since JR seemed legitimately flustered at the time and it was real awkward.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Retail Slave posted:

Vince thought it would be hilarious because Vince's sense of humour finds clowns too high brow. Then he pretended it was meant to be terrible.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mob posted:

I agree that heel Michael Cole was more detrimental to my personal enjoyment of the product than just about anything else

2010-2012 wwe is unwatchable thanks to the commentary

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

Midcard Mafia

For a time, MCM (as just Reks & Hawkins) were a really bright spot on NXT: Redemption. Hawkins was getting good on the mic, had a fun character, and the two were a decent tag team. Not much came out of it, and that cartoon sounds god awful, but for at least the year or so before NXT became FCW With More Budget, Reks and Hawkins were pretty entertaining on TV. Though I sometimes think I'm the only person who liked NXT: Redemption.

StarkRavingMad posted:

They later claimed that was a work to reset his gimmick. I've always had a little doubt in the back of my mind about that, since JR seemed legitimately flustered at the time and it was real awkward.

JR often made it a point to not learn the backstage plans or writing so his reactions were genuine. So when something was obvious poo poo, he really couldn't hide his disdain.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squalitude posted:

For me it's the spot the Wolves do where they push an opponent's head at his partner so he ends up in the DDT setup, then dropkick the partner, causing them to fall back and hit the other guy with a DDT. If you've not seen it you can't really understand how terrible it is. But it is one of their regular spots.

Any of those "attack your partner to hurt your opponent" moves are beyond terrible. It operates on some weird video-game logic of friendly fire being off or something that makes even less sense than most wrestling moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I remember in Kinnikuman there's a double-team move that Robin Mask and Ramenman did where Robin Mask pointlessly puts Ramenman in the Tower Bridge (torture rack) before throwing him at a guy.

I mean I love the Prime Time Players spots where Titus uses Darren as a weapon, but those make sense because those are all basically aided splashes -- Titus gives Darren an inverted suplex slam onto a guy, Titus irish-whips Darren into a stinger splash on a dude in the corner. Those spots make sense.

EDIT: On the subkect of Beaver Cleavage, to be fair that was a pet gimmick of Russo's that the other Vince gave the Okay on, and when it didn't get over Russo pulled out Russo Plan B: Work a Shoot.

• Locked thread