Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

what is a good shmup on PSX or PS2, now that I own a old ps2

there's a good one on ps2 where you're like a flying samurai i forget what it's called tho. taito's cave ports (ibara and daioujou) on ps2 are both garbage and cost 250 dollars or more haha. psx had really bad arcade ports because sony is stupid, the ddp port has insane input lag and hosed up sound. psx couldn't handle 2d games at all, silhouette mirage, all of capcom's games from the psx era, etc, had a bunch of missing frames of animation and characters and poo poo, compared to saturn versions. gradius gaiden on psx is good and gradius v is alright idr if it's ps2 or psx i think it's ps2 ?

most of the good shmup ports on home systems are for dreamcast and 360,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

This was like a weird isometric perspective game or some poo poo. I think? Maybe it was a top down hori or something weird like that. Anyway Thats cool.

it's kind of funny in p-47 aces, there's parts where you can get stuck in the levels geometry, so you want to get stuck for as long as possible and bounce around to milk the level's geometry for score, while making it safe for u to not get hit by bullats, and to get away from the sccrolling

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im going to get a dremcast for Shenmue eventually so I'll save my shmup purchases for then

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the latest version of demul has support for sh-3 games, idk if the emulate better than in the mame version of sh3. but now you can play bugslut 1 and 2, espgaluda 2, deathsmiles, blah blah blah on it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

im going to get a dremcast for Shenmue eventually so I'll save my shmup purchases for then

it's got a good port of gunbird 2. good luck playing any sort of arcade game on dreamcast pad tho or finding a hori dc stick for less than like 500 dollars :cawg:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

it's got a good port of gunbird 2. good luck playing any sort of arcade game on dreamcast pad tho or finding a hori dc stick for less than like 500 dollars :cawg:

:whitewater:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

why is all this old plastic poo poo that you can illegally pirate in less than 5 minutes with zero effort so freaking expensive.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

there's a good one on ps2 where you're like a flying samurai i forget what it's called tho. taito's cave ports (ibara and daioujou) on ps2 are both garbage and cost 250 dollars or more haha. psx had really bad arcade ports because sony is stupid, the ddp port has insane input lag and hosed up sound. psx couldn't handle 2d games at all, silhouette mirage, all of capcom's games from the psx era, etc, had a bunch of missing frames of animation and characters and poo poo, compared to saturn versions. gradius gaiden on psx is good and gradius v is alright idr if it's ps2 or psx i think it's ps2 ?

mushihime-sama is on ps2 too, im not sure if its region free though

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

SM64Guy posted:

It's not region free and it's a poo poo port

Judge Ito Boxing fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 9, 2015

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

In Training posted:

what is a good shmup on PSX or PS2, now that I own a old ps2

Omega Boost
Then hop to the universe where Polyphony Digital only made sequels to Omega Boost

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

SM64Guy posted:

oh right i forgot about. it's got that same taito port problem doj and ibara have where the graphics filter looks like poo poo and it has no slowdown either.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

its insane how many are out on the 360 especially since no one in jap bought one

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

if you want ps2 shmup probably just go for the ones that were made only for ps2 like
rtype final and uhhhhh probably other stuff i dont care about so i cant remember. i dont remember if the dragon blaze port was good but if it was it is worth getting

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 9, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've got like 200 hours of dragon quest to play first, but I will write down these names and bookmark this thread for future reference. Thank you

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

its insane how many are out on the 360 especially since no one in jap bought one

ms had some weird arcade exclusive ports for awhile in jp, esp the IDOLM@STER. most modern arcade machines are glorified windows machines anyway.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
raptor call of the shadows is deece and on steam jluk

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

raptor is garbaeg

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

the latest version of demul has support for sh-3 games, idk if the emulate better than in the mame version of sh3. but now you can play bugslut 1 and 2, espgaluda 2, deathsmiles, blah blah blah on it.

Did that guy stop being a tease about sh3 emulation and fix the slowdown. Or did anyone else do it. Bye.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

Did that guy stop being a tease about sh3 emulation and fix the slowdown. Or did anyone else do it. Bye.

the guy who was being a tease and saying it would be easy to fix was (is?) a mame dev. idk about demul i have the emu but haven't bothered to try it yet.

ibara has no slowdown on ps2 and mame (or maybe inaccurate slowdown with the blitter setting thingy....it keeps changing w/ each version...) but the scores for the ps2 and mame version are close to the real pcb on shmup forum leaderboards. hosed up man

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

its so goddamn blurry on ps2 though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

well someone on shmups forum is playing it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i played bugslut 2 1.5 original on demul for 30 seconds just now and there was slowdown where there's slowdown in the 360 version (mid boss explosion on stage 1 and the chunks of flying island flying at u and exploding at the end of stage 1). alRIght.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
for psx you can get r-type delta and for ps2 you can get r-type final which has a shitload of ships (a whole museum of them with flavor text even)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i liked unlocking ships in final

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know how shmup snobs view CAVE's ipad ports, but Mushi, Mush 2 and DDP III are pretty decent. They do bullshit like charging extra for difficulty revisions, though.

Stravinsky posted:

Desperation leads to relatively low dev costs. ESCHATOS is a pretty good region free 360mup from M-KAI and includes an emulation of one of their older games, a Wonderswan game called Judgment Silversword.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

I don't know how shmup snobs view CAVE's ipad ports, but Mushi, Mush 2 and DDP III are pretty decent. They do bullshit like charging extra for difficulty revisions, though.

Desperation leads to relatively low dev costs. ESCHATOS is a pretty good region free 360mup from M-KAI and includes an emulation of one of their older games, a Wonderswan game called Judgment Silversword.

i only had ddp on there but it was fun, not a good substitute for the real thing for obvious reasons but i t was good to gently caress aorund with when i had a few minutes to kill

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

or finding a hori dc stick for less than like 500 dollars :cawg:

it's real easy to make your own arcade stick or convert an arcade stick from a different system into a dc stick.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sizone posted:

it's real easy to make your own arcade stick or convert an arcade stick from a different system into a dc stick.

i kno, but it's better 2 troll than 2b helpful

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

i only had ddp on there but it was fun, not a good substitute for the real thing for obvious reasons but i t was good to gently caress aorund with when i had a few minutes to kill

:agreed:

Controlling your ship via touch is a novelty, too. But then I'm sure there's some LUA scripting bs in MAME that can simulate that with your mouse or trackpad.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

:agreed:

Controlling your ship via touch is a novelty, too. But then I'm sure there's some LUA scripting bs in MAME that can simulate that with your mouse or trackpad.

the first princess buggin' out on ios is one of the best shmup times i've ever had. there's something really cool about looking at the screen, seeing the path you have to take to avoid enemy projectiles and making your ship move on that path by tracing it on the screen. it's totally 1/1 and direct, no layer of abstraction of needing to convert the path into dpad inputs.
the first one had a blank spot on the bottom of the screen from your finger to draw on, all the subsequent cave ios games have you dragging the ship with your finger over it, which blocks the screen and is dumb and way less cool.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah! I forgot about the virtual trackpad. I'm pretty sure Mushi 2 and maybe one of the DDP games had it, too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sizone posted:

I have a PS3 hori stick. Does this help

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

A hardcore vertical scrolling anti-shmup set in a universe suffocated by cosmic mysteries, inspired by the Souls franchise.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

A hardcore vertical scrolling anti-shmup set in a universe suffocated by cosmic mysteries, inspired by the Souls franchise.

good news gamer. there are already hundreds of terrible story heavy western shmups on steam as well as radiant silvergun and ikaruga for ou to enjoy

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

update: i can now reliably beat the helicopter

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

update: i can now reliably beat the helicopter

wot game

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
DO NOT PLAY DEATHSMILES 2 it is so bad

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
oh craps just remembered i gotta get shooting love 200x before it falls off the xbox live market

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

cram me sideways posted:

DO NOT PLAY DEATHSMILES 2 it is so bad

no need 2 tell me that buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i have the japanese mushi fatari black label dlc on my hd but its a us region xbox cuz my j region xbox xploded tied to a japanese account and i have 2 reinstall and download it everytime,, fun atmosphere.

• Locked thread