Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

Alright. This is getting weird. I just re-recorded and the video's screwed up at the same spot. The first 30 minutes look like they work but as soon as I enter the same area as the last video it gets choppy and I lose coherence. I need to figure this out.

If at any point you see a lady start crawling out of a well you need to turn that poo poo right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Third time is the charm I guess. Finally got a good copy of chapter 3. Working on processing the videos now.

VolticSurge posted:

Still a better game than Arkham Origins. And no,I'm never taking that back. :colbert:

Well let's be fair. The issues with the recording were on my software side, not with the game. I think! I still like it. The game has this sense of panic and danger. Though it might be because I tend to play it slowly and carefully until poo poo gets real. Then once poo poo gets real it's time to be terrible at combat! I'm a big fan of GO TIME I'm just not very good at it :v: Sorta like Niggurath pointed out earlier.

Niggurath posted:

I do really love though that you tried to fight that huge mob; I remember when I was playing and I just saw them all start coming for me, my first impetus was just to get the gently caress out of dodge.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
4: Technical Difficulties/Polsy

Right. Video may still be processing for 60FPS but otherwise here's the first part of chapter 3. I didn't have any issues recording this time around but that may be because I took another route.

If you're interested in seeing the two previous runs I had, blind andwarts and all, the first run is here and the second run is here. I really couldn't figure any way to fix it aside from taking a different path and apparently it worked!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Looks like bomb disarming works the same way lockpicking did in The Warriors, and I secretly hope it gets as difficult as it did there.

Also, all the talk of green jelly and serial killers only made me think of one thing... One horrible thing...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Fiendly posted:

Looks like bomb disarming works the same way lockpicking did in The Warriors, and I secretly hope it gets as difficult as it did there.

Also, all the talk of green jelly and serial killers only made me think of one thing... One horrible thing...
The best thing about the bomb disarming is that the game never tells you that you have only a single go around to disarm. So in my naivety, the first time I tried to disarm one of those I thought I'd have a second go at waiting for the marker to go back around....this was sadly not to be. What's even better is that out of all the traps in the game, those proximity bombs are the only trap that can't be directly set off by the enemies.

Also I think there's a loading screen tip for it, but the bottles do have an additional function if you manage to bean a zombie in the head with it.

And finally, near the end of this latest video would have been a primo spot to use a dead body as a flaming trap. If you just keep knocking a guy back to where he's standing on a corpse and then light that corpse on fire, the guy standing on it will also go up. This also works I think if the guy is just stunned on the ground. Fire cleanses all!

VVVV
Sure, but it doesn't say that the bomb will explode now does it. Also I was illiterate and scared when I first played this game.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 8, 2015

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Niggurath posted:

The best thing about the bomb disarming is that the game never tells you that you have only a single go around to disarm.

It was on the tooltip when disarming the first one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So! I'm going to have to change this to a "blind as possible" run since I'm still having some technical difficulties. I'll do my best to make it seamless and work and probably most of my reactions will still be genuine! I just can't be sure where the recording problems are going to crop up until after I've finished a chapter. :(

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's fine. I'm assuming they wanted you to go blind for moments when the game goes batshit, like the building being cleaved in half during that ambulance escape scene. As long as the technical problems don't hit those set-pieces, you could always splice in your reaction, or just recreate it on the fly while playing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Could it be because of lengthy recordings? Maybe if you keep it to less than 30 minutes per installment.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

Could it be because of lengthy recordings? Maybe if you keep it to less than 30 minutes per installment.

This is what I'm thinking may be the problem now. I've been recording for an hour at a time but I might start making half hour cuts. I haven't worked with this software before so I'm used to being able to record what I want through DXtory. Console gamers have it hard. But I'm not even sure this is it since sometimes the audio is off on a brand new recording.

The other problem is I can't even reliably replicate the problems!

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Gameplay-wise, what happened to your axe? Would it have broken or something if you whalloped an undead dude with it X amount of times, or was that another glitch that deprived you of it?

Personally, I'm digging the gameplay of this game but... I'unno, maybe things will make sense retroactively, but the backdrop of the past two chapters have been bothering me. The game starts off in modern times (albeit in a dilapidated and frankly outdated mental institution,) and yet you're now in an RE4-like village that probably still thinks Horseless carriages are all witchcraft. Is the setting supposed in Europe somewhere?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fiendly posted:

This verges on a gameplay spoiler I guess but bomb disarming is basically never worth it. Its crazy difficult and doesn't get you much while taking off a ton of health if you fail (you will fail all the time). Meanwhile, bombs can be pretty easily snuck past.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Trip report: defusing bombs gets harder. They hurt. The game has a difficulty spike in the next chapter.

TKMobile posted:

Gameplay-wise, what happened to your axe? Would it have broken or something if you whalloped an undead dude with it X amount of times, or was that another glitch that deprived you of it?

I believe axes disappear/break after one use. I think the one I lost was because of a glitch or something where I went into what I'm calling the mirror world.

1stGear posted:

This verges on a gameplay spoiler I guess but bomb disarming is basically never worth it. Its crazy difficult and doesn't get you much while taking off a ton of health if you fail (you will fail all the time). Meanwhile, bombs can be pretty easily snuck past.

I will fail to learn this lesson, I guarantee it. My greed knows no bounds.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dscruffy1 posted:

I will fail to learn this lesson, I guarantee it. My greed knows no bounds.

I am very eager to see this happen.

This game seems designed specifically to gently caress with you if you play it like RE4.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It punishes you if you go in expecting to play it like RE4 (or really any of the modern RE games where melee is actually an effective tool) i've also heard it compared to The Last of Us which i think is a better comparison. That game's combat is usually in short,intense little set pieces that you are (usually) allowed to sneak around in until you inevitably gently caress up/run into an invisible trigger that causes everybody to be alert to you anyway.

The difference being that the combat in this game is way more unforgiving than TLoU, the general toughness of each individual enemy combined with the absurd amount of damage they can put out (the grab attacks are seriously bullshit) makes for more stressful combat encounters. The game is also trying to be a survival horror game at the same time so it really starves you for ammo to up tension and it gives you just enough static ammo spawns so that every bullet is super precious (unless you get lucky with drops which doesn't happen to often in my experience).

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
:colbert: No letterbox?

I've started playing this myself on stream, so I can finally check out the LP for the parts I've already finished. One thing that worried me at the start (like in most 3D stealth games) were the vision cones, but they seem to be really, really lovely. The key you pick up at the very start of the game from the big dude? I picked it up while he was still there at the table and he didn't see me.

Also, I had no idea you needed to break the statues for keys. Sheesh, I missed like 5 of them so far :( I actually missed a ton of stuff, like map fragments and the missing persons files. I guess I was expecting old RE-styled files which are almost always in your face.

It's funny how differently you play this game to me. I usually try to be super careful and sneaky and you're just "gently caress it, come at me" with the most useless melee attack I've seen in a Mikami game. Looking forward to checking out the rest of your playthrough as I go through the game myself.

As for recording issues, are you using Elgato Game Capture or OBS? I have issues with Elgato recording my console footage if it's a much longer session, but it doesn't happen on OBS.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

RealSovietBear posted:

It's funny how differently you play this game to me. I usually try to be super careful and sneaky and you're just "gently caress it, come at me" with the most useless melee attack I've seen in a Mikami game. Looking forward to checking out the rest of your playthrough as I go through the game myself.

As for recording issues, are you using Elgato Game Capture or OBS? I have issues with Elgato recording my console footage if it's a much longer session, but it doesn't happen on OBS.

It's probably because I played a good bit of the Last Of Us too. I tend to stealth as far as possible and then once poo poo gets real then poo poo GETS REAL. I will probably regret this action over time I'm sure. I'm sure it probably stems from a deep seated need to subjugate the game to my will and not be seen as a bitch. :v:

For capturing I've been using Elgato Game Capture so I might need to look into OBS. At the moment I'm planning on cutting the recording into maybe half hour chunks mid-chapter so I can minimize any loss. Anyway! New video! Finishing up chapter 3!

5: A Man, A Plan, Chainsaw/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Recording in split up segments is not the answer. This is infuriating. How does one record an external device through OBS because this poo poo seriously can't go on.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Recording in split up segments is not the answer. This is infuriating. How does one record an external device through OBS because this poo poo seriously can't go on.
Does your capture device's recording software not work for you? Cause that's normally the route I went with my Elgato.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game feels like Italian Horror Forbidden Siren.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

RealSovietBear posted:

:colbert: No letterbox?

I've started playing this myself on stream, so I can finally check out the LP for the parts I've already finished. One thing that worried me at the start (like in most 3D stealth games) were the vision cones, but they seem to be really, really lovely. The key you pick up at the very start of the game from the big dude? I picked it up while he was still there at the table and he didn't see me.

Also, I had no idea you needed to break the statues for keys. Sheesh, I missed like 5 of them so far :( I actually missed a ton of stuff, like map fragments and the missing persons files. I guess I was expecting old RE-styled files which are almost always in your face.

They actually recently patched the console versions allowing you to turn off the black bars which is fantastic.

I know this isn't related to the LP. But is there a difference between recording with OBS and Elgato. I find Elgato to do some weird thing where I stop recording but the file keeps on processing or something before I can do anything with it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Niggurath posted:

Does your capture device's recording software not work for you? Cause that's normally the route I went with my Elgato.

I'm using the Elgato's Game Capture HD software. I'm not sure if the problem is with the software, my computer, or the connection to the console. At certain points in the recording the game's audio will completely cut out and the video will get choppy. I've already turned off flashback play and I've got nothing taking up significant amounts of memory in the background. But the problem doesn't seem to be making smaller/different video files, even stopping one that corrupted at the end of it and starting a new one resulted in zero audio for the new file. I'm confused by this.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Night10194 posted:

This game feels like Italian Horror Forbidden Siren.

You know something, I was thinking that a while ago. The Siren part, anyway, but this does feel like a Schlock movie set turned legit creepy now that you mention that, too.

I'm still not 100% sold on the setting though. Unless this IS in Europe, it feels incongruous that after driving to desperately escape Hell's Asylum and Overwrought Earthquake in a big modern city you crash landed in Not-Spain or Not-Italy's archaic countryside... Unless this is some sort of illusion or time travel kinda deal, which I'm not discounting after all the poo poo we've been putting into our head, with extreme literalness.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm using the Elgato's Game Capture HD software. I'm not sure if the problem is with the software, my computer, or the connection to the console. At certain points in the recording the game's audio will completely cut out and the video will get choppy. I've already turned off flashback play and I've got nothing taking up significant amounts of memory in the background. But the problem doesn't seem to be making smaller/different video files, even stopping one that corrupted at the end of it and starting a new one resulted in zero audio for the new file. I'm confused by this.
Hmmm, that is really odd; though in the end I was recording off of a 360 rather than a PS4 (especially after hearing about the HDMI protection nonsense that I'd have to work around on the Playstation). I do hope that you can get it sorted out because I am enjoying your LP.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

dscruffy1 posted:

It's probably because I played a good bit of the Last Of Us too. I tend to stealth as far as possible and then once poo poo gets real then poo poo GETS REAL. I will probably regret this action over time I'm sure. I'm sure it probably stems from a deep seated need to subjugate the game to my will and not be seen as a bitch. :v:

That's how I play Souls games, so I get what you mean.

Ep5: does the crossbow spawn in different areas? Because for me it spawned in the other house?

Also, gently caress were you lucky with that fire I can't believe how many bullets I wasted compared to you against the big guy haha

EDIT: Regarding recording issues again, are you recording your microphone with the Game Capture HD software, or with something separate like Audacity? I've had audio desyncs and issues when I used Game Capture HD for my mic, but if I just recorded the game without the microphone (and used Audacity for voice), it didn't mess up my recordings.

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 9, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RealSovietBear posted:

Ep5: does the crossbow spawn in different areas? Because for me it spawned in the other house?

I believe it depends on where you go first.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Ugh! The Evil Within... It's so random in its good things... Like the opening was sooo freaking amazing and really didn't prepare you for what the actual game is going to be. The Village is more like RE4 which is fine.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

RealSovietBear posted:

Also, gently caress were you lucky with that fire I can't believe how many bullets I wasted compared to you against the big guy haha

EDIT: Regarding recording issues again, are you recording your microphone with the Game Capture HD software, or with something separate like Audacity? I've had audio desyncs and issues when I used Game Capture HD for my mic, but if I just recorded the game without the microphone (and used Audacity for voice), it didn't mess up my recordings.

Yep, crossbow spawns depending on which house you go in first!

I will second getting lucky with the fire. The first time I took the guy out involve a lot of shotguns and using the spike trap in the right house. The second time involved a lot of shotgun blasts and grenades. This time got the fire and it was pretty good!

I'm going to try a couple different things as far as recording goes, just suffice to say that chapter 5 also will not be blind. Which is a shame, drat that was a good one to go into blind. Not sure how it'll stack up to chapter 6 though, I've been hearing stories about chapter 6.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm going to try a couple different things as far as recording goes, just suffice to say that chapter 5 also will not be blind. Which is a shame, drat that was a good one to go into blind. Not sure how it'll stack up to chapter 6 though, I've been hearing stories about chapter 6.

To be honest, I enjoyed your non-blind portions more than your blind portions. You explained the area in Episodes 4 and 5 really well (informative and entertaining). That's not to say that the blind sections aren't fun as well, of course.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
You playing blind makes the discovery of setting hay bales on fire to kill enemies that much more awesome. I hope there's more stuff like that in the future.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

RealSovietBear posted:

To be honest, I enjoyed your non-blind portions more than your blind portions. You explained the area in Episodes 4 and 5 really well (informative and entertaining). That's not to say that the blind sections aren't fun as well, of course.

I am actually enjoying this hybrid blind/experienced runs.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:yayclod: Taking victory from defeat! I'm still pretty frustrated about the lack of reliable recording and it's something I need to figure out, but for the time being I'll be cutting together blind and non-blind runs as possible. So I'll definitely call this the blind-as-possible playthrough. I've got some stuff to re-record for chapter five but otherwise chapter 4 is good to go starting tomorrow.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Using a chainsaw as a key instead of a weapon is simultaneously the coolest and lamest thing I've ever seen a game do.

I feel for you with the technical issues, my first LP was live commentary with lots of technical problems and it was a nightmare to work on and didn't turn out nearly as good as this LP has so far. They should make a horror game about LPs with corrupted files and lost audio and poo poo, that's way more horrifying than ghosts and zombies and berserk animatronics.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't that a creepypasta?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
In this exciting chapter, the game amps up the spooky factor.

6: Lost My Keys/Polsy

I can definitely see all the comparisons to RE4 and the Last Of Us. The game is from the same jerks that did RE4 and there's the same sort of old village scenery, but the combat and pacing reminds me more of the Last Of Us. You'll have these long moments of quiet quiet quiet quiet and then THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT. The combat is definitely a lot more spread apart than RE4 and that's not a bad thing, gives you more time to absorb the ambiance rather than RIP AND TEAR. Fact is I'm never sure what's going to happen when I turn the corner, and that's great.

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.
Just got through your Arkham lp's Scruff, and wanted to say how great those lp's were. I'm looking forward to following your Evil Within one live!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

drat, though, that looping dialogue was annoying. Teddy Roosevelt with his "the good doctor" schtick and Multiple Miggs back there in the cellblock were bad enough, but Doctor rear end in a top hat was the cherry on top with his "we must find my patient Leslie" and "we must be going."

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Regarding upgrades: I don't know if it was a good decision or not, but I don't think I ever upgraded the amount of syringes you can carry and I never had a problem with running out of health. The only time I used a syringes was when I was at max and found one I couldn't pick up. It's easy to avoid damage or, at least, avoid death by damage. Most of the time, the minimum, recharged health is enough of a safety net. Plus, later on, you'll run into enemies with instant death attacks, which invalidates full health.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
You seem to be doing well in this game. Also, that nurse and the mirror world is one of the creepiest parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The game seems to operate on dream logic in the setting changes and sudden terrible things happening. Like an attempt at making a playable nightmare.

• Locked thread