Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I had a thought; what if we're switching between being a zombie and being normal? The scenes with the Doctor and Leslie are in the "real" world while the other places are what our mind is seeing while we are a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Damegane posted:

Meatshields that you can heal up by just holding a button with no resources consumed are the best meatshields.
I ended up loving up so hard with this part because I was so used to helping AI being absolute poo poo, that I expected that ol' Joe would just get one shot by everything. So cut to me getting bopped in the face by the ensuing mob that you're supposed to take as a team and watching Joe gleefully insta-gib everything. It was then that I knew I was playing a fool's game and that I shouldn't take my able bodied assistance for granted.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'd think with the highly limited ammo you'd want to be increasing damage on the weapons often to get more out of each bullet.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The only "forgotten something" I can think of is that Joseph doesn't go through the magic mirror with you.

Which has implications I guess, mostly that he's Not Real either. I also wonder why he didn't respond when Joseph asked "You... brought me here?"

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

I'm rather interested in the way he said that line, too - I thought I heard "You brought me here?" Like he recognized the location.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love your reaction to Joseph starting to turn into one of the enemies, it's gotta be how they intended for that to play out in your mind. As soon as the game shows you he's a super duper useful co op buddy, they're like Hey by the way this dude is totally not alright lol sorry brother :allears:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Since I've played this game extensively, the only thing I can say is my overall thoughts about it in this thread.

It's a very good action game. Even more so for those that grew up playing Resident Evil 4. Unlike most shooters, there are loads of interesting ways to combat enemies and taking advantage of your environment is very important. The game suffers from few technical hiccups and the controls haven't evolved much since RE4. In my opinion this is not entirely a bad thing since RE4 is still extremely solid shooter even today.

It's more RE4 than any other RE game before it and that is good.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Joseph's a real bro. I hope he ends up being OK :(

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
I swear I've seen that logo in another game just can't quiet put my finger on which one. Joseph indeed looks like a really cool guy. Even if he tried to choke you he still seems better/less annoying then doctor Marcelo Jimenez.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So yeah. I had some issues recording the last part of this chapter, more technical difficulties cropped up. It feels a little sloppy to me overall so I apologize in advance. Welcome back to the 10: As Blind As Possible/Polsy run! From here on I think the sound quality and technical difficulties should be eliminated but I've only recorded through the next chapter so far.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is it possible to kill the spider-woman without the incinerators?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

I...think so. There's a tooltip in loading screens that says it's possible to kill the long haired woman with weaponry but it is not recommended.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It requires a huge amount of ammo and is really only possible in New Game+.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

When you were wading through the water, I found it kinda amusing that your lamp didn't go out despite being submerged underwater.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
As someone mentioned earlier :effort: this feels like a fever dream. Segments end abruptly and there's a slight taste of menace in every corridor. The games aesthetics look wonderful and I'm digging the ambiance, but I feel like the pasing of the game suffers because of it and it feels a lot more like a movie that is played between gameplay segments.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samovar posted:

You can, but there's really no point. You can also shoot her enough to make her gently caress off in the earlier encounters and get a pretty hefty amount of teenage mutant ninja turtle ooze for your troubles but then you will have like no ammo for the upcoming segments, one of which you might remember is a massive gunfight.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Meadowhill posted:

As someone mentioned earlier :effort: this feels like a fever dream. Segments end abruptly and there's a slight taste of menace in every corridor. The games aesthetics look wonderful and I'm digging the ambiance, but I feel like the pasing of the game suffers because of it and it feels a lot more like a movie that is played between gameplay segments.

It also doesn't help that the fever dream aspect starts to make the locales feel random. Especially early in this game, it feels like the developers didn't have a good way of getting the player from set piece #1 to #2 so they have Sebastian fall through the floor or have the hallway magically change. I really enjoy the different ways the dream-like nature messes with the environment, but after a while some of the great scenery loses its impact because the player arrived by forced randomness.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Welcome back! I managed to record chapter 6 with no problems and sober! I haven't touched chapter 7 yet! Are you ready for ACTION?

11: Third Time's The Charm/Polsy

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Mr. Highway posted:

It also doesn't help that the fever dream aspect starts to make the locales feel random. Especially early in this game, it feels like the developers didn't have a good way of getting the player from set piece #1 to #2 so they have Sebastian fall through the floor or have the hallway magically change. I really enjoy the different ways the dream-like nature messes with the environment, but after a while some of the great scenery loses its impact because the player arrived by forced randomness.

I feel like it would've been more effective to shuffle the player through what is recognizably a defined environment, but still making use of impossible transitions. That way the building (or village or whatever) itself can act as a character and storytelling medium. As is we just get a bunch of vaguely turn-of-the-century industrial rooms with no sense of purpose. It perhaps would've been a bit cliche to have the game crawl through a crumbling mental hospital, but it didn't become a cliche because it was ineffective.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Oh, man, I'm really looking forward to how you'll handle the next part. Also, it seems like the fire barrels in that particular section have a pretty wide range? I've never set myself on fire aside from that area.

I'm pretty far into the game now and yeah, the constant teleport here then here then here oh look you're here has justification story-wise, but still feels really disconnected. Probably one of my biggest issues with the game. Other than that, I'm really enjoying it.

Also, you thought Chapter 6 was bad? It has nothing on Chapter 10. Game just brutalizes you there.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
My first thought when you exited into that sunny area was "Lordran?"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I do think they were trying to go for the way that a dream can have you jump from place to place very... unintuitively, but I agree that right now it just sseems as if it wqas poorly planned out. Though I don't know how I'd better transition it, really. Maybe by not having the save-points as a book-end? Or having more of that 'pit-turning-into-a-hallway' shtick?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I don't mind the insane transitions -- so long as there's a more entertaining / batshit crazy explanation to it all than "It was all a dream / medical coma / SH2 daydream".

I'm really tired nowadays of writers who just cheat up an ending because they can't be arsed to work out something that fits with what they've written. It's right up there with "rocks fall, everybody dies".

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Ghostwoods posted:

I don't mind the insane transitions -- so long as there's a more entertaining / batshit crazy explanation to it all than "It was all a dream / medical coma / SH2 daydream".

I'm really tired nowadays of writers who just cheat up an ending because they can't be arsed to work out something that fits with what they've written. It's right up there with "rocks fall, everybody dies".

I still don't know where the plot will go exactly, but I think it might be one of those situations where it's hard to deal with all the transitions/railroading as you play it, but when a proper explanation is given or hinted at, it becomes better in hindsight?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I kinda like how the game makes you feel unsafe even in the area that is safe.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The biggest thing I'm getting from all the scene changes is that the game is keeping me off balance. Which isn't a bad thing, even if it does feel narratively hamfisted. Not knowing where I'm going to show up next or if it's going to be as safe as it used to be gives a constant sense of heightened tension.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, if there's one point you can put in favor of the rapidly changing scenery, it's that they really know how to surprise you. When I was playing and I came above ground to see daylight it was a real "WHOOOooooaaaa :stare:" moment. Like, solid, actual daylight was the last thing I expected to see after the scare in the safe room just beforehand.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Part of the transition problem is a lack of climax. Shuffling to a new area via dream logic is fine provided the old one is allowed to finish. If each segment had a distinct progression, building toward a centerpiece that gave way to the next section, it would feel far more natural.

As it is the jumps come out of nowhere, as if the level designers got bored of rendering that particular motif and hurl you unceremoniously to the next.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

I actually don't mind the out of nowhere transitions, considering the explanation they give for it later, my only problem is the opposite: they went too tame with it. There are a few interesting bits further on, but for me the pitfall that turns into the hallway is one of the highest points

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm thinking we're shoved in Leslie's mind as a shared consciousness kind of thing. We have to kill THE EVIL WITHIN and stop him from unleashing it on the world

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm thinking we're shoved in Leslie's mind as a shared consciousness kind of thing. We have to kill THE EVIL WITHIN and stop him from unleashing it on the world

I was going to mention that everything seems to be an internal construct of the world you're in. I noticed when the high pitched sound came back both your buds splattered into red goop that spawned monsters that chased you, again implying that they are just part of the world. I also thought it was interesting that Joey-Joe-Joe was conscious that he turned on you at some point, meaning that he had some kind of awareness while being a rabies foam monster.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
e: Nevermind, I'm bad at remembering things.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Something I find kooky is that at the beginning of the video the doctor looking at us shifts between doctor and Kidman for quick flashes. The background changes too. Also when we got dragged down to fight longhair hellbeast in chapter 5, everyone heard the noise and cringed in pain. Kidman did not. She's involved somehow.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Maybe WE are the one in the mind meld and these are just projections of people we know while we deal with the loss of that one woman who keeps getting mentioned in those safe room journals :tinfoil:

Would explain spider lady and ~evil doctor~ and all, this is just us recovering from being a nutcase locked in a cult who escaped and is now being tormented by the illuminati cult members present at our psych ward :tinfoil:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As I said, I'm not playing very far ahead of the LP in my copy (which I bought thanks to this thread! :toot:), so this is all speculation on my part based on the recordings scruffy has found:

I think that maybe Seb and the other important side characters are part of an experiment by Ruvik, the weirdo teleporting dude, where he's trying to meld their brains into one super-brain as in his previous experiments. Except, something is different now that makes it work, which I'm assuming is the inclusion of Leslie in the mix for some reason we don't know yet.

Some of them have more brain-testinal fortitude (I know that's not a thing but bear with me) than the others, and so they're handling the brain meld better. Kidman seems to be hardly affected at all so either she's not part of the experiment or she's got the most mental stability. Joseph is doing the worst, obviously. Seb I think is somewhere in the middle, which is why the scenery keeps going bananas, it's all in his head but he's just barely in control of it to keep things relatively sane looking inbetween. Leslie's presumably already nuts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 23, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Today we continue the cleansing of this village.

12: Frenzy and Calm/Polsy

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are you sure you couldn't go back to turn on the generator again to open the second door?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
It's been cool seeing the speculation in the thread about what's going on. My brother got it through GameFly, and the blurb on the disc sleeve actually spoiled where the "world of horror and tension" the game advertised came from. :argh:

Still catching up with the LP, Scruffy, but so far so good, and you're way better at this than we were, heh. When you finally beat the game and it creates the NG+ save, it'll show how many deaths you had, and I had around 40 and Ben about twice that (though in his defense he liked to "live dangerously" and coast on the minimum amount Seb auto-heals, and a lot of enemies on Survivor can one-shot you then).

Anyway, I'm a few videos past it now, but I had to post and :golfclap: how you handled the Sadist (chainsaw guy from chapter 3). He's not too hard, and you can actually use the spike traps you poo-pooed (he'll die in two doses of that), but the burning hay bale was inspired. I'd say to keep the power of burning physics objects in mind for a "later setpiece" but since you recorded chapter 6 already, welp.

Samovar posted:

Just to confirm, you can just gun her down, but it's a really bad idea since there are enough sources of fire in the arena to do the job and it's faster (and safer, can't imagine the tedium of dodging enough one-hit kills with barely-upgraded weapons to pull it off). In fact, at least on Survivor; there's enough fire (torches, barrels, and corpse piles you can match) you can still burn her to death without the incinerators. I assume that's for people who somehow missed the glowing switches on the wall the first time fighting her while running away from her in a panic. ... :sweatdrop:

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are you sure you couldn't go back to turn on the generator again to open the second door?

Just checked the video to make sure we're talking about the same thing: the problem isn't the generator, it's that you can only throw the switch that raises the elevator once. If you get the clown car instead of the treasure, sucks to be you. :( ... :sweatdrop:

Edit: Oh, Scruffy guessed right. There are a bunch of enemies in the other one, and as far as we can tell it's the same every time (left is goodies, right is a trap).

Wayne fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 23, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

Based on what I've seen from a different playthrough, one of the rooms contains goodies and the other one contains baddies. I got the good room! I don't know for sure if you can only open one but that's what I'd fully expect is only being able to open one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I had no idea our shambling horrors were French...

• Locked thread