Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

anilEhilated posted:

Tag for later, I was looking forward to this since it showed up in the sandcastle. From what I heard this game is supposed to be completely terrible.
You heard massively incorrectly. This game is amazing, the set pieces are wonderful, and people just expected some really odd things from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I think it's that a lot of people were expecting the Shinji Mikami who redefined the action genre, and they got the Shinji Mikami who reinvented survival horror.
Personally I think the game had an identity crisis with it's marketing because it seemed to push this idea of a very stealth heavy horror game when in actuality (like Mr. Highway mentioned) it has a massive range of game play types. So if people were going in expecting a singular theme or feel, then they were going to be fine for a while but swiftly flung in a different direction. Personally I appreciated the flow changes (though there are some definite weak areas) but I can see how it's jarring for some.

Also I highly recommend investing fully into matches. They are the most useful things ever in this game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I've got a deep-seated problem with constantly using "master of stealth" as an episode title in every LP I do lately.

3: Master Of Stealth/Polsy
The torch is a super useful tool for a singular purpose and that's that it can one hit kill most of those scrub zombies. The problem is that it has a one time use, so you kinda have to choose wisely when and if you want to use it. Also there's sometimes very easy to spot signs of which bodies you might want to use a match on and which you don't, and that's usually if you see a weapon near them (like the guy that gets up when you're exploring that one house had a mighty death grip upon that scythe).

I do really love though that you tried to fight that huge mob; I remember when I was playing and I just saw them all start coming for me, my first impetus was just to get the gently caress out of dodge. Hopefully though you'll start to get a bit creative and try to see if the monsters can interact with the traps at all.

VVVVVV
That really sucks. I will say that the checkpoint system in this game is super bizarre and never fully explained. Sometimes it'll be for story reasons....and then sometimes it'll just randomly occur.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 5, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

You know I'd prefer not to have this spoiled for me just yet. It adds to the fun! As far as I can tell stabbing a dude in the head kills him for good and they're not getting back up. If I was to guess this will not always be the case. But for the moment, matches are mostly good for the guys that are playing dead.
Well it's ain't really a spoiler, but you can save the bodies that can be burned and use them as traps for other active enemies. Just wait for them to run on a non-burned body, light the body, and they too will go up in flames. Which in turn ends up being an amazingly easy one hit kill and why matches can be so stupidly powerful, though it does take some practice to get down.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I think I've been pretty good about scouring the area so far but if I've missed anything feel free to point out my foolishness!
Well it can be super easy to miss, but when you head into the upgrade mirror place there is usually a 'Missing Persons' poster and a newspaper in the main lobby for you to pick up. I think you missed those when you went there in your second video.

I'm trying to remember though if certain ones can only be gotten at certain times in those mirror places, but there is definitely going to be new ones to find in there and you should keep an eye out for them as they do give a lil bit more backstory.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Fiendly posted:

Looks like bomb disarming works the same way lockpicking did in The Warriors, and I secretly hope it gets as difficult as it did there.

Also, all the talk of green jelly and serial killers only made me think of one thing... One horrible thing...
The best thing about the bomb disarming is that the game never tells you that you have only a single go around to disarm. So in my naivety, the first time I tried to disarm one of those I thought I'd have a second go at waiting for the marker to go back around....this was sadly not to be. What's even better is that out of all the traps in the game, those proximity bombs are the only trap that can't be directly set off by the enemies.

Also I think there's a loading screen tip for it, but the bottles do have an additional function if you manage to bean a zombie in the head with it.

And finally, near the end of this latest video would have been a primo spot to use a dead body as a flaming trap. If you just keep knocking a guy back to where he's standing on a corpse and then light that corpse on fire, the guy standing on it will also go up. This also works I think if the guy is just stunned on the ground. Fire cleanses all!

VVVV
Sure, but it doesn't say that the bomb will explode now does it. Also I was illiterate and scared when I first played this game.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 8, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Recording in split up segments is not the answer. This is infuriating. How does one record an external device through OBS because this poo poo seriously can't go on.
Does your capture device's recording software not work for you? Cause that's normally the route I went with my Elgato.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm using the Elgato's Game Capture HD software. I'm not sure if the problem is with the software, my computer, or the connection to the console. At certain points in the recording the game's audio will completely cut out and the video will get choppy. I've already turned off flashback play and I've got nothing taking up significant amounts of memory in the background. But the problem doesn't seem to be making smaller/different video files, even stopping one that corrupted at the end of it and starting a new one resulted in zero audio for the new file. I'm confused by this.
Hmmm, that is really odd; though in the end I was recording off of a 360 rather than a PS4 (especially after hearing about the HDMI protection nonsense that I'd have to work around on the Playstation). I do hope that you can get it sorted out because I am enjoying your LP.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

You are very correct in your assumption about the DLC bolts; they'll never just be lying around and can only be crafted. But I do love that you accidentally used the Incendiary Bolt because that thing is beyond amazing; pretty much when it hits something it'll pour a three way jet of flame that lasts for a particularly long time and enemies will have no qualms running into it and dying instantly.

Also it was super easy to miss, but near the start of the video when you were wondering what the game was trying to have you focus on was a short scene in the courtyard with the bonfire. If you happened to be heading that direction you'd be given a short, grisly scene.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 12, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Man, I loved the idea of the invisible enemies so much but really disliked how they were introduced. That tiny rear end room isn't great for fighting them and the first time I played the game I was still wielding a hatchet like you, so I freaked out and insta-gibbed his face. Poor guy never stood a chance.

Also yeah, that room is a huge difficulty spike but it's great if you happen to look around and use everything around you to your advantage. There's trip wires, proximity bombs, bottle necks to funnel enemies; I think if a person just rushes to the center or gets cornered then it can seem imposing, but looking around shows a person just how many ways that they can get through the situation.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

And if anyone is curious and wants to get the game on PC for cheap, it's currently on sale today for a whooping $15 at GMG: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/evil-within/#item-s6

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Damegane posted:

Meatshields that you can heal up by just holding a button with no resources consumed are the best meatshields.
I ended up loving up so hard with this part because I was so used to helping AI being absolute poo poo, that I expected that ol' Joe would just get one shot by everything. So cut to me getting bopped in the face by the ensuing mob that you're supposed to take as a team and watching Joe gleefully insta-gib everything. It was then that I knew I was playing a fool's game and that I shouldn't take my able bodied assistance for granted.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I'm not sure if you've noticed but the final level of an upgrade is usually a massive jump or something super useful (like how you're saving up to get the fire enhancement to the harpoon bolt), so I'd say try to max out the cheaper and super useful stuff like your item storage upgrades or your stamina because it's the cheapest and most beneficial (and there will be plenty of times when you'll probably be getting better with shots and having to leave behind ammo cause you didn't upgrade your handgun or shotgun bullet capacity).

Also it's good to know I wasn't the only one that tried to fight those giants in the tiniest hallway possible; I was kicking myself so hard that I didn't even fight them in the large, open arena they give you and instead just ripped into them with a billion bullets. And you totally wrecked that dog's face; I had such a hard time with that dog because I was trying to conserve my bolts....and well it's a lot quicker and sneakier than you might have realized. I'd say if you ever get the chance, you should go back and let it live for a while to see what it does.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Speedball posted:

I think it's technically possible to get through the game without any locker keys but they sure do make things a lot easier.
Yeah, I think the most painful thing I've seen is someone do a play through of the game on the ultra hardest difficulty without getting any upgrades (to where those lockers didn't even matter). So it's possible but not really recommended, especially since you might miss out on quite a few of green upgrade goo.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

sagacious posted:

Thought I just point it out if you ever get back there or just wanted to play the game again. Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they started to put these key's in even more obscure places.
I still remember feeling so stupid when I was playing through that invisible zombie hospital part because there was a statue strapped to the back of a rat....but all I could see is this statue hopping about and freaking out. I seriously thought it was some new, terrifying monster and I just ran for cover.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Samovar posted:

Oh no, you're gonna be chased by Pyrami- sorry, by Safe-head.
Trust me when I say that while there are some initial similarities between the two, Safe Head will prove to be much more dangerous.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Goddamn do I wish upgrading the melee gave Seb new moves or a heftier swing or something. That'd be awesome. :allears:
Melee becomes pretty powerful once it's maxed out, so powerful that you can gib zombie heads with it.

Night10194 posted:

Discovering you can easily use bottles to lure the (presumably maybe actually Spanish this time) murderpeasants into traps has made me decide this game is, in fact, as fun as dscruffy is making it look.
I still don't know if dscruffy has shown it off yet, but there's something else you can do that's fun with bottles. If he'd want I could show it off?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Nah, that was it; I guess I just need to catch up on the last video :(

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I especially like in that section how the poison gas gives the perfect cover for not being able to see where safes might be present, so you're never totally sure where he might rise from. Also the design on the safe man is great because from far away he just seems like a possibly slow and lumbering enemy, but then you get up close and you see he's wielding traps and he's faster than he seems. Then he hits you with his meat purse....that's when it all becomes too, too real.

I'm kinda bummed though that you didn't try to mash more guys with the spike traps; it's a good way to save ammo and it's super satisfying (which is another thing this game does well and you're showing off super well with your sighs of relief).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hooray for you, scruff; I remember following the Evil Within games thread and there were seriously people calling that plate puzzle bullshit because it was so 'vague' or it didn't give proper hints. But you saw through the complex trappings and you succeeded. Seriously though....people are bad at games and you're not one of them.

Also the challenge for this level was pretty fun and tense, it requires you to not fire a single shot from a gun and the start of the level is the worst/best part of it....cause those technical guys have a pretty nasty murder move.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

My Face When posted:

So I'm almost caught up with the videos, but wanted to say you're doing a super job and this game is actually fairly disappointing to me so far. I was expecting a bit more scares, but it's probably different for me because I'm not playing it. It really just feels like RE4 part 2.

Your reactions are hilarious.
I think to some degree, a certain level of tension is lost when watching someone play this game. When it's you playing the game, low on life and ammo, and a collection of dead bodies on the ground which you're not totally sure are dead or not....it becomes super tense. It is possible to focus more on hiding and stealth, and it can get a lot closer to the start of the game. And honestly I never really felt tension with RE 4; it always felt like more of an action game with horror elements (which 5 and 6 just expounded upon exponentially).

Still, as with any game, it's easy to start learning it's tricks and getting good; that's what you're seeing with scruff. He was rusty and scared at the start, and now he's a some what competent murder machine (who likes to shoot safe headed men in the head).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Ya know, sometimes this game does very subtle architectural horror. Take for instance when you were heading around that hallway around the back of the mansion and you were certain that any moment the hallway would loop back around....but it just kept going. It's gives you this overwhelming sense of confusion and this feeling of being lost when a hallway that should be an assumed length just keeps going, curving, and popping up with additional rooms. I mean from the front it seemed like a sprawling Resident Evil style mansion but once you're inside you really have no clear grasp on the dimensions and this part especially doesn't have a great want to allow you time to breath. I can understand the aggravation people have with Ruvik in this part, but I think it works very well for the overall feeling and tension of the mansion.

Also I'm playing RE 4 right now, and I will say that both this game and RE 4 have this very scattershot setting (what with RE 4 going from old Spanish villages, to goofy trap laden castles, mine cart rides, boat rides), but I feel that while it just sometimes seems like padding in RE 4, the sudden environment changes in Evil Within make more sense in a narrative way. With RE 4, it makes me think someone just thought it'd look cool to have a big underground magma pit and found some random place to shove it in.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

I really like some of the scares the game tries to pull. The best ones being recently with the bomb behind the boxes and the enemy jumping through the door near the bomb they know you'll be creeping toward. It tries to take into account how players will play the game, which many games ignore and just go for cat jump scares that are pretty much out of any context.
The sad thing is that it seems like some people considered these 'cheap, insta-death traps'.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Man, I had totally forgot about that part before the sunflower field and just how great it comes across visually. It reminds me a lot of Alice: Madness Returns with the use of dolls and mannequins to probably express how that person sees people; inanimate play things given human form that can be manipulated and twisted. And that the only 'real' things in Ruben's mind are his loves and his tormentors; it almost seems at this point that he manifests all the zombies to look like those farmers that burned him because they symbolize to him hate and pain, while also giving him outlets to cause pain to (whether it be as he sends them to be cannon fodder against Seb or to have their bodies mutilated by barb wire and twisted into the ghastly forms that populate the game). I think this is actually covered more in the model viewer, but that might not be unlocked till the end of the game. Hopefully you do take a look at that, because some of the detail they put into the enemies is pretty great.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zain posted:

It really feels like the game is all coming apart the further we get into it. I enjoyed the start but like now it just feels like they didn't really think most of this through.
I feel the same way about Resident Evil 4.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zain posted:

Yeah, but I feel like they know in RE4 and decide to go hammy in some ways.
I don't know; I'm in the final island now and it's going from tractor riding to being in a garbage hole to another lava pit after going through death trap castle. It feels like a series of unconnected set pieces to pad out a game, at least in Evil Within it makes a bit of sense why things are suddenly changing.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 7, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Personally I enjoyed this area cause it let me learn some new tricks (i.e. kicking doors into the faces of zombies gives you a good opportunity to set them on fire):

but it also taught me some tough lessons:

Also it has a large merry go round of death and that's the best thing ever.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zain posted:

What the gently caress is STEM? I feel like I should know this.
I think it's the brain machine.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

But yeah, that boss can actually go by super quick if you are stealthy. Pretty much three sniper shots to the eye will send it into the purple hit kill phase and from there it's just popping it with a freeze bolt, and like two more sniper shots to the exposed eye. It can seem super imposing but the game gives you a lot of time to find a new hiding spot when you plug it in the eye, though it takes quite a few times to really try that strategy. Otherwise you gotta do what you did and just plug away wildly at it wondering why it won't die. I think the main issue for you is that you didn't seem to get that is was losing track of you when you got away from it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I'll admit I haven't put much thought into the setpieces we're going through and how they relate to the story's breaking down but let's see what I've got. I can dig the whole city crumbling but it was also wrecking itself at the start of the game. It seems like things have been going on for a long while (probably because I've been playing the game for 10 hours) but there's also no clear indication of how much time has passed. Could be we're arriving here ever-so-shortly after the original city escape in the ambulance.

The monsters don't seem to be anything Silent Hill level deep. Some of them are pretty obvious, we seem to be inside Ruvik's head so we've got a lot of his tragedy going on. He's got something I don't understand yet for mannequins and masks. Maybe the details with those will come clear later? The haunted are probably based on the villagers who burned the barn, same as blood lady who got burned. Why the villagers are covered in barbed wire and why blood lady is...well, blood lady, I'm not so sure. Maybe Ruvik's figured out how to weaponize his fears, so to speak?

Of course the monsters I don't have any explanation for are chainsaw guy, the keeper, the lumbering harpoon arm guys, or giant fuckoff eyeball monster. Or water snake, I suppose. Of course the other question is how much of this is bleeding over into the real world. SWAT jerks with machine guns could be symbolic of the real world, unless Ruvik had experience with these jerks somewhere in his past. There could be the mysterious first incident at Beacon Mental Hospital. Come to think of it, there was an incident, and Leslie was stated to have been the only person to have escaped from Ruvik before. Maybe Leslie is a survivor of the Beacon Mental Incident?
Well if it makes you feel any better, they all do have explanations and some of them are pretty cool (especially when you see how large the model is for the water snake thingy). Thankfully you don't need to do anything special to get the model viewer and it's pretty sweet to see how much work they put into it since you normally don't get the chance with everything swatting you in the face.

Also, that Ruvik clone you fought can also trigger any nearby enemies to die. So in that fight you had with the first one, if you had killed it before any of the other enemies then all the other ones would have fallen dead leaving behind some easy items. Though I did like that you could also just light them on fire since they weren't triggered.

VVVVV
Ya know, I don't even remember that. Was it just an optional area?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 17, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Man, I hated that cage area so much if only because the last two guys with machine guns kept glitching out in an odd way. Like the door would pop open for a split second allowing them enough time to fire but not allowing me enough time to do anything. I ended up barely having enough time to chuck a grenade under the door and even that just knocked them down....which made me realize how underwhelmed I was with the grenades in the game. Especially in comparison to the explosive bolts or hell, just head shotting a dude.

Also I'm super glad to see some sweet magnum action; I don't know why I avoided that gun like the plague when I played but it looks super satisfying to use.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Samovar posted:

Does anyone have a good model of what the water-lurker looks like?
Yeah, there's an in-game model viewer that shows it off super well.

Zain posted:

The water level seems like such a stupid point because there's really no indication that it's "safe" to go into the water. I mean sure that's the point but there has to be part of the reason people wanna go in. Like at some point you have to feel like "Okay I'll make it if"
I was never super lost in the area; mostly just annoyed with waiting for gates to open and wondering what rear end in a top hat made this city to be full of loud rear end gates.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's the animation for when you die by fire, except Seb gets all covered in goop and starts bubbling. Source: Me, I died to one because I wasn't paying attention. Of all the things to be killed by on Akumu, the completely stationary trap that you literally can only be killed by through walking underneath it is what gets me. :downs:
For me it was the dumb idea that since it looked like the drops were spaced out that maybe I could run under them during the lulls....yeah, that didn't work out too well.

But yeah, I guess the Ruvik clone killing other nearby enemies was only for that initial introduction fight out in the street. At least you were able to find out they were back-stabbable; I'm trying to remember though, did you ever try backstabbing those big, crucified enemies from back in Ruvik's fun house? Cause I remember they do something special when you backstab them. Also I will say that this area holds the one point in the game that I just really loathed, if only for how stupid it was and how frustrating it was to get through. I look forward to seeing how well you fare with it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It's definitely possible and that room is probably one of the better opportunities to try it.

Also I was so sad that near the end of the latest update you didn't see that silly statue hiding in the rubble, cause you were looking straight at it for a few seconds...and then you left :(

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 26, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Aumanor posted:

My question is why isn't he using the matches.
I wouldn't mind seeing some more use out of the flaming arrow trap cause that thing is loving murder mode. If anything, it's just good to remember that if a grenade guy is holding a live grenade...don't try to light them on fire.

I still love how Seb goes into Megaman mode though when he blows up.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Reading the summary, you missed nothing. It ends on as horrible of a note as they could have possibly managed.

The whole movie itself is just a bunch of wankery made by two guys who were tired of the "Political Correctness" of modern Serbian films, so they decided to make one without state-assisted funds that includes basically every topic that people would avoid a movie for. This was supposed to be a commentary of some kind.
Ah yes, it sounds like what become of Human Centipede. A goofy joke that convinced an rear end in a top hat to make two sequels that missed the point.

And yeah, going into CineD's horror thread is sometimes a good means of finding out horror films you never want to see. Like '100 days of Sodom' or any of the Guinea Pig movies.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh for fucks sake. That stupid x|x cross is a drat lighthouse tower thing? Oh no is that Seb's wife in the beginning? And on the missing page? I thought she died. Unless it's not since Seb didn't say anything. Or maybe that's what the nurse meant when she kept saying 'Forget something?'

Oh Ruvik. I'd feel bad for you, but you're a piece of poo poo. I don't think this is even about your dead crispy sister anymore.

Well, that was a nice trip through Krusty's Fun House.
I get the impression that one of the previous notes was pretty much stating that 'If you find this then it means I didn't make it.'; I also get the impression that the crosses being like the beacon lighthouse also ties into how the matches have beacon symbols and even the save point doors are all blood spattered with a beacon symbol (which took me forever to make out properly).

And yeah, the game gives the impression that even before the fire Ruvik was kind of a mentally messed up kid; a genius for sure to some extent but he seemed to have no real empathy towards other people. They were just experimental animals to be prodded and terrorized. And I think that the voice acting really gets that across and if you can't tell who that is, why it's the guy that played Rorschach:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Wayne posted:

Ack, new page. Just in case you missed it, Scruffy posted the last main game update earlier.

---

Yeah, I made a comment earlier about a plothole, and that's what I was talking about; how Ruvik was able to use his powers and kidnap everyone in the "real world." I've never played the DLC, just read a rough outline of the plot, so I'm definitely psyched ( :razz: ) to see it.

And yeah, I was absolutely sure that the lady with Kidman was Tatiana, and her disappearing was getting ejected from the machine (possibly by being killed). Now it looks like she was "just a ghost all along" or something (which I know is a trope Japan does a lot), since you do see her missing person report; and that woman was a re-used asset.

Anyway, Scruffy, still catching up on the videos which is why I haven't been posting much, but congrats! :) I haven't seen the finale yet, I hope your reaction was a bit more measured than my brother's and mine (after the final form popped up, we just looked at each other and said "Survival horror!" and I actually had to pause the game for a minute, I was laughing so hard).
She was the same lady; her appearance in the machine was pretty much to corral Seb. So this is my theory about that safe room; it's being monitored by female Wesker from not-Umbrella, right. All the newspapers and missing person posters are information from Seb's own mind, totally not-Umbrella is basically data-mining all that Seb might know. See, they got rid of his wife as she was snooping around Ruvik's earlier murders and experiments and how it all inevitably led up to his working at Beacon...but they also assumed that she must have left behind information for her husband and fellow detective (which she did). So to tie up any loose ends, they kill Seb's wife's boss and lure Seb into Beacon. From there they are going to probably do what they did to Ruvik and strong arm him into a dream tub to see what he knows through mental manipulation, but what they don't plan on is just what Ruvik is capable of. Now while Ruvik is pretty much a brain in a jar, he still has power of some kind within Beacon and it's through this power that he's able to project himself and manipulate what people see; maybe even to the point of getting them to kill themselves or maybe manifesting psycho-kinetic poo poo. So Ruvik pulls the cops into the machine since he knows that has something to do with not-Umbrella's plan and that inevitable he knows Kidman is also looking for Leslie who's his ticket out.

If anything, the only plot hole was the seeming last second addition of not-Umbrella. I would have been fine with Jimenez being the one trying to harness Ruvik's work, but nope, it had to be some ultra shady clandestine organization. Though I did like the open ended nature of the ending; Ruvik is out there with whatever powers he has and the only one that seems to notice it is Seb and not-Umbrella.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

My theory on Ruvik using powers outside the machine is that the only time we're not in the machine in this game is in fact the very end. That first sequence was still part of the shared consciousness/mindscape. Of course considering at the end we get the mental sound I'm wondering if we're not still inside the machine at the end too. So it's not a case of him using powers outside it's a case of not realising that they were inside the machine in the first place.
The thing that about the idea of them having been in the machine even at the start of the game makes me question then when exactly beforehand they were put in. I mean the missing person poster that is unlocked after beating the game does give basis to this idea, but it just seems to not make a lot of sense. Why would Ruvik and the STEM set up such a contrived manner to trick Seb? We already see it can easily just manipulate and change things pretty much however it wants when people are in the machine. I just assumed that not-Umbrella needed to get Seb to STEM somehow, and the emergency call to come to Beacon would be the perfect reason for that.

Wayne posted:

If she's the same person, that helps a lot, yeah. I remember reading some discussion on it after we played it (since I was freaking lost too, heh) and people were pretty sure otherwise, but 1) that's the Internet for ya and 2) the DLC wasn't out then.

And if you're right about the Missing Persons thing being from Seb's mind and not Ruvik's, that comes across as a huge bait-and-switch, since I'm pretty sure everyone else was either in the Stem or dead (usually both, especially the first couple entries :v: ), and the game pretty strongly implies they were all killed by Ruvik. I doubt Seb would've known about all of them, either, especially the mental patient early on.
Well there weren't that many people in STEM; there was Seb, Joseph, Jimenez, Leslie, and Oscar (the cop that they meet outside who is later the first zombie that Seb fights). We can assume that Leslie is already hooked up to STEM and Jimenez joins him in there as well before Seb, Joe, and Kidman are strapped in. Seb is then conked out by Ruvik in the real world, popped into the machine; followed shortly by Joseph and Oscar who are probably easily taken by surprise or go searching for Seb. So after Seb runs into chainsaw Charlie and escapes from Beacon, that's when he runs into Leslie and Jimenez. That pretty much covers the people that are found in the STEM by the end of the game and they all seem to have a reasonable explanation why Seb would end up knowing who they were. Also as far as I can tell the people in the STEM were all killed while in the machine, and not beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Wayne posted:

Oh, sorry, if I wasn't clear I was referring to the Missing Person posters, not the people hooked up to the Matrix. If the theory is that Seb was creating them (instead of them being people Ruvik had experimented on, either early or when the game started), I figured I'd point out he probably wouldn't know everybody who'd gone "missing."

I'm glad I double-checked at least, I could've sworn there was a missing person thing for Myra, but there wasn't (just the journals Seb "finds"). If my theory (that Ruvik makes the posters) is right, that probably confirms the idea she got disappeared by Umbrella, not Ruvik.
Ah, that's my bad for misunderstanding. But even all the missing person's posters were things that had some connection or could possibly be something Seb could know about. They were mostly people connected with Seb's wife investigations into Beacon or the Elk River Killer, not just people that could have been experimented on by Ruvik. I think most of that was just information that Seb had gotten from his wife's investigation.

Sigh, I also hope all my dumb theory blabbing isn't an annoyance. I just really enjoyed the game's story.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 9, 2015

• Locked thread