Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Ugh! The Evil Within... It's so random in its good things... Like the opening was sooo freaking amazing and really didn't prepare you for what the actual game is going to be. The Village is more like RE4 which is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

1stGear posted:

One of the best ways I've heard of describing this game is "Silent Hill by way of Resident Evil."

Eh, that's a pretty apt description.

There's some pretty solid things in this game and then not so solid. Also yeah try to upgrade the Harpoon ASAP. You'll thank me.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

RealSovietBear posted:

Your chuckles sound like the most unnerving coping mechanisms.

Also, gently caress that entire section of the game and gently caress those invisible zombies. You dealt with them much better at the start than me, but then I started using flash bolts > shotty to the face and it all went well. You're kind of having an easier time with them though thanks to the stealth indicator on the screen. You can imagine the paranoia that sets in when you don't have that.

And that final room you were in, it seems I had the weirdest glitch. Whenever I was in the room, my vision would be SUPER loving blurry, but the UI was pristine so I figured it was supposed to be that way. It was only in the shared tiled hallway, not in the actual side rooms.

That's happened to a lot of people actually! You were supposed to see some crazy poo poo but like the filter didn't turn off sometimes.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dasmause posted:

I really hate the trope of "note describing how monster is chasing a guy". This is more or less "Scary monster is chasing me, better tweet about it!"

The thing is you know people would do it too! "Lulz! Getting chased by a super scary monster guize! *Selfie*"

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dasmause posted:

This guy looks pretty chill for an impaled person

"You know this whole being dead thing is pretty cool. You should try it."

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It really feels like the game is all coming apart the further we get into it. I enjoyed the start but like now it just feels like they didn't really think most of this through.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Niggurath posted:

I feel the same way about Resident Evil 4.

Yeah, but I feel like they know in RE4 and decide to go hammy in some ways.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What the gently caress is STEM? I feel like I should know this.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Niggurath posted:

I think it's the brain machine.

I guess but I know of EEGs just haven't heard of STEMS.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

STEM is Ruvik's brain meld machine, it's not referring to a real piece of medical equipment. You actually find out what the name 'STEM' refers to later - I won't spoil it here -although with the game's crazy overt symbolism it's a little obvious already so I might not even need to.

I'm sure we saw it, probably has something to do with that brain wrapped in barbed wire. Probably not a real brain but still.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The water level seems like such a stupid point because there's really no indication that it's "safe" to go into the water. I mean sure that's the point but there has to be part of the reason people wanna go in. Like at some point you have to feel like "Okay I'll make it if"

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

So I finished the main game today. Any guesses on how many times I died? :v:

69 :heysexy:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dasmause posted:

Fun fact: Shocking enemies halves your damage. Freezing them doesn't, however

So never shock an enemy... I wonder why shocking halves the damage?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dasmause posted:

I dunno. Upgrading shock bolts increases length of stun, so maybe it's just a crowd control tool for when you're being overwhelmed or something

Actually I just realized phrased that wrong: when enemy is shocked, he takes half the damage from bullets
Also same thing happens on burning enemies or enemies doing some animation (like revving up a chainsaw)

Well the animation thing makes some sense because that's sorta how every RE game was programmed. It's weird but giving enemies "super armor" when they're vulnerable seems like a way of making enemies not so easily pushed over.

Isn't fire generally a one hit kill in this game though?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

dasmause posted:

For normal mooks, yes. For bigger guys, not so much. Especially for Laura (the spider lady)

Yeah, but it should be super effective against Spider Lady... At the very least?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm so confused! I really do hope the DLC explains poo poo. Cause yeah...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I think it's safe to say this DLC had a lot of ambition to it, but the execution was just a bit off.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So I guess that makes sense about what happened to Ruvik... But like... OH wait that's probably why Lesley had to be destroyed.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Maybe because I have an aversion to this, but I can't see why the pure stealth isn't the weakest of the DLC. At least the Keeper DLC had some interestingness to it with silly combat stuff.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I really do like Spotlight head. It's an interesting villain and decidedly creepy as gently caress. I do hope there's more to this DLC than forced stealth. Someone said there was, but not seeing it yet. There's nothing wrong with mandatory stealth segments but all the time just feels so eh.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You should try to axe that guy if he can give you his weapon.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Why was the pit of spikes also on fire?

Just incase you lived one way you can die in the other horrible manner. Makes sense. Could you imagine someone falling into a fire pit and living? Or Spike pit and living? They'd be in so much pain. Might as well insure the death.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

"Come back you have a job to do... So I can kill you." Like come on! I guess they knew what they were doing but yet still somehow wanted Ruvik to be free again?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Niggurath posted:

The next DLC is more story DLC that ties in directly with this one. There's no real explanation why the Executioner DLC was so ummmm out of nowhere thematically and game play wise. It was still mindless fun though...

That DLC makes me feel like he should have done the remake of Splatterhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Did a great job Scruffy! You know.. Looking at the game as a whole- They left a good hook to it. But the problem is you NEED to DLC to get this hook. But I wouldn't mind a sequel that explained some things or see what happens to the others.

• Locked thread