Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Looks like bomb disarming works the same way lockpicking did in The Warriors, and I secretly hope it gets as difficult as it did there.

Also, all the talk of green jelly and serial killers only made me think of one thing... One horrible thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Using a chainsaw as a key instead of a weapon is simultaneously the coolest and lamest thing I've ever seen a game do.

I feel for you with the technical issues, my first LP was live commentary with lots of technical problems and it was a nightmare to work on and didn't turn out nearly as good as this LP has so far. They should make a horror game about LPs with corrupted files and lost audio and poo poo, that's way more horrifying than ghosts and zombies and berserk animatronics.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
When that Assassin's Creed-lookin' motherfucker sent out his wave of red dots, I said to myself, "Release the bees!" Then when that made bodies rise from the pool of blood, I said "ZOM-bees!" Basically, you're all lucky I'm not LPing this game, and I think I just deciphered the pun on which the plot of Dead Rising was built.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

My Face When posted:

So I'm almost caught up with the videos, but wanted to say you're doing a super job and this game is actually fairly disappointing to me so far. I was expecting a bit more scares, but it's probably different for me because I'm not playing it. It really just feels like RE4 part 2.

I think comparing this game to its own introductory sequence serves to illustrate how Silent Hills most likely would have compared to PT. You can tell The Evil Within's crazy opening is meant to grab, intrigue, and terrify the player with set pieces lined up back to back, giving only the subtlest and most tantalizing hints at what the plot and gameplay of the rest of the game would be like, much the way PT gives you a flawlessly designed taste of something that can't possibly live up to that expectation for a full game's duration. Ironically, I'm relieved to now know that The Evil Within is merely a different take on Resident Evil 4 that doesn't make all the mistakes the subsequent numbered RE games made, while I would never have considered playing the showy, over-the-top horror stressfest with minimal player involvement that the first half hour advertized. There's been a few times throughout the LP where I've laughed at the thought that the opening is even a part of the same game as what I was seeing.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Puistokemisti posted:

Also, please reload older save and show us what happens if you don't shoot the big red glow in the grinder.

I was also going to post about wanting to see our hero get juiced. What kind of snuff film fans would we be if we didn't want to see that?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Proving my status as a snuff film fan, I really liked A Serbian Film. Of course it goes crazily over the boundaries of good taste and that's all anyone knows about it at this point, but it's actually very well-paced and the way it builds adds a lot of tension. The most notorious scene has absolutely no impact when you actually see it because the practical effects are comedically awful there and in one other pivotal moment of attempted gore, so it's much more tame than you think it is, but it does still earn its share of cringes. My biggest complaint is that the climactic moment is ridiculously easy to predict and it makes you want to punch the main character in the face for being so stupid, but it does still pay off nicely. This is not to say that it's suitable for most viewers, it's a dire experience for the most hardened gorehound, but it's a legitimately well made horror thriller and not nearly the literal war crime knee-jerk fools were calling it around the time of its release. 120 Days of Sodom was much worse.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Weird that the tentacle thing can turn invisible and only ever uses that ability to set up a single jump scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I was originally eager to get into the reputedly "good" DLCs, but now I'd like to see that final boss if you're willing to go for it.

• Locked thread