Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could just record the last part! Leave in the blind stuff until the part that got corrupted, then switch over to the not-blind stuff in its place.

Unless the whole file is corrupted in which case welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dscruffy1 posted:

The problem is the last 15 minutes got weirdly compressed into 7 minutes complete with video tearing and audio problems.

:psyduck: video games

I'm enjoying the LP by the way! I noticed I didn't say that in my post.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RealSovietBear posted:

Ep5: does the crossbow spawn in different areas? Because for me it spawned in the other house?

I believe it depends on where you go first.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Niggurath posted:

And if anyone is curious and wants to get the game on PC for cheap, it's currently on sale today for a whooping $15 at GMG: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/evil-within/#item-s6

RealSovietBear posted:

Use the coupon "GMGSUM-MERSAL-E20OFF" for an additional 20% off of the $15.

Nice, thanks, guys! I have always wanted to check this game out.

Of course, I won't be playing ahead of the LP because I'm enjoying it a lot :shobon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love your reaction to Joseph starting to turn into one of the enemies, it's gotta be how they intended for that to play out in your mind. As soon as the game shows you he's a super duper useful co op buddy, they're like Hey by the way this dude is totally not alright lol sorry brother :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samovar posted:

Is it possible to kill the spider-woman without the incinerators?

You can, but there's really no point. You can also shoot her enough to make her gently caress off in the earlier encounters and get a pretty hefty amount of teenage mutant ninja turtle ooze for your troubles but then you will have like no ammo for the upcoming segments, one of which you might remember is a massive gunfight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, if there's one point you can put in favor of the rapidly changing scenery, it's that they really know how to surprise you. When I was playing and I came above ground to see daylight it was a real "WHOOOooooaaaa :stare:" moment. Like, solid, actual daylight was the last thing I expected to see after the scare in the safe room just beforehand.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As I said, I'm not playing very far ahead of the LP in my copy (which I bought thanks to this thread! :toot:), so this is all speculation on my part based on the recordings scruffy has found:

I think that maybe Seb and the other important side characters are part of an experiment by Ruvik, the weirdo teleporting dude, where he's trying to meld their brains into one super-brain as in his previous experiments. Except, something is different now that makes it work, which I'm assuming is the inclusion of Leslie in the mix for some reason we don't know yet.

Some of them have more brain-testinal fortitude (I know that's not a thing but bear with me) than the others, and so they're handling the brain meld better. Kidman seems to be hardly affected at all so either she's not part of the experiment or she's got the most mental stability. Joseph is doing the worst, obviously. Seb I think is somewhere in the middle, which is why the scenery keeps going bananas, it's all in his head but he's just barely in control of it to keep things relatively sane looking inbetween. Leslie's presumably already nuts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 23, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

I think it's technically possible to get through the game without any locker keys but they sure do make things a lot easier.

I believe there's one somewhere that quite literally falls into your lap to the point where you almost have to pick it up and literally cannot miss seeing it, but I cannot remember where it is or whether it is ahead of us or behind us. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love that the game has gotten so bananas that you can't even do your usual "last time we did x, and this time we're gonna do y!" thing at the start of videos anymore, because who the hell knows what's gonna happen next. It's actively trying to poo poo on your LP now. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm assuming he really can't, and the only way Seb is going to be able to escape is to somehow unplug himself from the brain machine that he's probably a part of. I'm assuming that Ruvik isn't actually supernatural or anything, he just has the power to appear that way because he's the master of whatever domain Seb and friends currently reside in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like it because it gives you the option of spreading everything out evenly OR specializing in one or two things for the same amount of gel investment. You can make your Seb be generally healthy and have a little left over for firepower or you can pump your guns up to the max and be a walking paper mache sculpture. Plus there is some crazy stuff like the bullets doing fire damage or whatever at the max upgrade for some of them, and I'm glad it is retained to those spots because you really don't fight many enemies in this game all things considered.

edit: Well, maybe I should amend that. You don't fight enough enemies at a time for those kinds of upgrades to not be crazy super over-useful, so it's good that they save the special effects for the end of the upgrade branch.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 28, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Goddamn do I wish upgrading the melee gave Seb new moves or a heftier swing or something. That'd be awesome. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wayne posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the upgrade system is perfectly competent, I think it's one of the best-balanced of its type in any game I've played. Saving up the 50k for max damage + :supaburn: harpoon bolts and putting off the quality-of-life stuff until halfway through the game is good stuff. It's just, y'know, kind of uninspired given the setting.

True. I think giving Seb some kind of very, very rudimentary psychic powers as you up his personal stats would've been cool. Not like, stuff like being able to TK enemies or whatever but maybe like being able to pick up items from a distance or see traps with a super faint glow or something like that. If the mind meld thing actually is what's happening, it COULD make sense given that Seb is getting more and more linked to Ruvik as the game goes.

edit: And I definitely agree with death .cab for qt, I just adore the whole "a regular plain ol dude wielding a crazy batshit hellcrossbow" aesthetic. The psychic powers idea could have even linked into that to make Seb become less and less "normal" as you go deeper into the nightmare.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dasmause posted:

This guy looks pretty chill for an impaled person

"Hey buddy, don't make the same mistakes I did, just sayin'"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah sometimes you have to kinda juke Ruvik a little depending on where he shows up. He walks at a pretty chill pace so it's not THAT hard but he does have a pretty big grab radius regardless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fiendly posted:

I was also going to post about wanting to see our hero get juiced. What kind of snuff film fans would we be if we didn't want to see that?

:nws: Considering what the death trap is, it's actually not all that bad once Seb makes it past the blades. Uh, I think. :nws:

You can gib Seb with explosions Dead Space-style in this game, and yet they didn't go for it here despite having the perfect opportunity. And yes the camera does pan up patronizingly afterward to the button like "shoulda shot here, dumbass".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Veyrall posted:

I haven't actually played this game, but I'm willing to guess something. Don't confirm if I'm right or wrong, anybody.

Ruvik is Reuben Victoriano, and after the fire that killed Ruvik's sister, his father locked his scarred son in the basement because Dad Victoriano is an rear end in a top hat like that

I figured that was a bit obvious just based on Ruvik's name. See:

malkav11 posted:

"Ruben Victoriano". Just saying.

v:v:v

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would assume the scenery specifically is Ruvik's doing; if he's the one at the center of the mind meld, he presumably would have the most control. But as Ruvik's notes have shown in recent episodes, the method is imperfect, so though he has the MOST control, even he probably doesn't have total control. He can shift reality and appear and disappear whenever he wants... mostly. Which is why he doesn't just show up and speedwalk at Seb for the rest of the whole game constantly, even though he could teleport earlier. Now that there are more people trapped in the mind meld, his reality fuckery powers are weaker than they were when there were less involved.

Again, this is just my speculation and I wouldn't take it as fact unless the game backs it up, but it does make sense to me using the logic presented by the game (what little there is).

edit: Or, alternatively, as certain characters have died or gotten lost in the nightmare perhaps the mind meld- and thus, Ruvik -has gotten LESS strong because there are fewer living people attached to it. It could work either way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's actually called Akumu Mode (悪夢, which means 'Nightmare'). But yeah it's crazy fuckin' hard to the point of total unfairness, but the difficulty pretty much explicitly says that when you select it from the menu I believe. And it isn't just one hit death either, it also adds more enemy spawns and traps, makes enemies rush you more often, and causes boxes to drop less supplies when you smash them with Seb's meaty man-fists.

The DLC also has an extra difficulty called Kurayami Mode (暗闇) which I will not explain or translate because I don't know if Scruffy is doing those and it'd spoil the DLC's gameplay!

edit: Oh, and the bomb disarming radius is hilariously tiny:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 9, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm watching a speed run of Akumu mode now and it sure looks like a nightmare, but drat if the dude running it isn't completely clowning this game. It's actually pretty awesome but it IS segmented, as no sane human being would do it in one sitting and manage to not die. And Speedball is right, they pull some super mean tricks on Hard and up like placing endgame enemies in starting game areas and so on. Scruffy please do not do Akumu mode you will die :(

edit: You should do the DLCs though, they're a really good addition to the main game I feel!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, that boss fight does seem to come out of almost nowhere, they barely give you time to meet the thing before you have to kill it. The gimmick of it is kinda cool I feel, though I don't think they give you enough hiding spots for you to really utilize it. The hint at what the boss' gimmick is is also probably too subtle considering you've only just met the thing.

edit: Oh, you don't actually utilize it! In case you didn't realize: The boss' gimmick is that it can hunt you, but Sebastian can hide from it. That's what the eyeball is; it pops out when the thing is searching for you. So you can hide under the cars and in the two rooms and behind pillars and such to get it to pop the eyeball out, and then do massive damage and stun it for a bit by shooting at it.

Congrats on still winning though, that fight is very hard.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 14, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zain posted:

What the gently caress is STEM? I feel like I should know this.

STEM is Ruvik's brain meld machine, it's not referring to a real piece of medical equipment. You actually find out what the name 'STEM' refers to later - I won't spoil it here -although with the game's crazy overt symbolism it's a little obvious already so I might not even need to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the key statues, you (the nebulous you, as in everybody) should look up a picture guide to the locations of the statues when the LP is over because some of them are in hilariously insane places.

see such examples as: statue inside hay bales that are not on fire in a barn that is on fire, statue inexplicably on top of bird, statue inexplicably stuck to the ceiling of a skylight that you have to shoot out to make the statue fall down so you can shoot the statue and get the key.

Also, I can't remember if this has happened to scruffy or not, but sometimes you will use a key to open a locker and inside will be just another key. Video games

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 16, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Niggurath posted:

VVVVV
Ya know, I don't even remember that. Was it just an optional area?

No, it's standing like right in the middle of the town. It doesn't even get distracted when Jiminez draws away all the guys, it just stands there directly in your way to be like "yup, this is hard mode alright".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The villager dudes are still around, but the change of scenery also brought in a different group of people (imaginary or not). Being in the city brings police, who were once people who used guns, like the farmers who used tools and torches and such. I uh, I guess that's the logic behind it anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronSaber posted:

I always managed to avoid the acid traps easily. I wonder if there's a unique death animation for it...?

It's the animation for when you die by fire, except Seb gets all covered in goop and starts bubbling. Source: Me, I died to one because I wasn't paying attention. Of all the things to be killed by on Akumu, the completely stationary trap that you literally can only be killed by through walking underneath it is what gets me. :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Executioner is also great because it's the point where the developers just went "y'know what we have this game engine let's just do whatever the hell we want with it fuuuuck it" and made Chivalry: Keeper Warfare.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fiendly posted:

Weird that the tentacle thing can turn invisible and only ever uses that ability to set up a single jump scare.

It uses it a lot in the fight itself though, it camouflages itself and then burps out more leeches at you while it takes a nap to heal up. :confused:

edit: Oh wow, Scruffy beat it too fast for it to show that off. :monocle:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Congrats scruffy, another great lp! Looking forward to the dlcs for sure. :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wayne posted:

"It's OK if the plot doesn't make any sense, we'll fix it in post." :argh:

Actually, they didn't do it like that. Obviously I'm not going to spoil anything but I will say that the story in this game is actually pretty well thought out if you're willing to give a little ground to horror game logic. You'll see.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 9, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zain posted:

I think it's safe to say this DLC had a lot of ambition to it, but the execution was just a bit off.

Boooooo, hisssss, get off the stage

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what I assumed. There's no Kidman-alike monster in the main game, and because of her Magical Injection Of Ruvik Immunity she doesn't ever get taken over like Seb and Joseph; so the creature and its big bright-rear end light probably are there to represent Kidman and her flashlight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are you thinking of vertical sync, maybe? Either way, it is a cool (if a bit unnecessary) effect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She didn't know what she was in for! Can't blame a lady for wanting to be fashionable :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dasmause posted:

Also it's gotta be better than running around barefoot in STEMiverse or wearing something from there

Seems to work fine for Leslie, that dude is impervious to anything but minor headaches as it turns out :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
<- Help I've fallen in love with this game :suicide:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kjetting posted:

Light and shadow seems to be a running theme in Kidman's story. Her employer/antagonist is a silhouette/shadow, the other main enemy is a spotlight, her flashlight can do magic tricks like making doors appear and invisible enemies visible, several puzzles are solved by light, there are zombies with shining eyes and you have to sneak and stay in the dark. She was also obviously kept in the dark about details of her own mission and STEM.

Also, MOBIUS is a mysterious shadow organization. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even better, you could crack one open and chug it, and then you could BECOME the glowstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's been her nickname her whole life, remember her missing persons poster?

Presumably outside of STEM he didn't call her that, he just calls her that inside the machine because that was her nickname as a child and she had a real bad childhood. Therefore, he's extra spooky to Kidman in a personal way. It's just STEM loving with her.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 5, 2015

• Locked thread