Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I'm actually pretty pleased with the end results of this game, mainly because I plan on never playing it. Parts look frustrating as hell, but I like the atmosphere.

I think the greatest weakness of Evil Within is there's no contrast. Not really. The closest thing to sane you'll see is the hospital office where the sexy nurse hangs (I didn't have a nurse fetish until I saw her), but everything else is gore gore gore. After a while, it feels like that scene from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey where they fall and fall and after a while stop screaming and start playing 20 questions.

"AAAAH! A ZOMBIE!!"
"AAAAH! A CHAINSAW ZOMBIE!"
"AAAAH! A BARBWIRE ZOMBIE!"
"aaahhh.. another... another."
"and a stilt zombie. and one with stuff on it's head. and one with sort of a head."
"You wanna play I spy?"

Full throttle all the time doesn't do much for the tension and release of a good survival horror. Even RE4, which I admit is more action than horror, had some normal in between the head-spodey terrors.

That complaint aside, I still like the design. Even without the contrast, the enemy design is creative and at times sarcastic and it's a fun ride. I put value on that.

Gonna tag this thread for later viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

dscruffy1 posted:

Today the game hits a difficulty spike. 7: Instant Death Roulette/Polsy

Man, I love mind-bending tricks like falling through that hallway.
:downs: I'm a sucker for them.

• Locked thread