Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I spent a little bit of time throwing the Rallycross cars around Lydden Hill Junior (specifically the VW Golf) and this is very much full-contact motorsport. As they admitted the AI is a bit slow, once I had a handle on the track I could crash fairly badly and still recover to a win. In career you have open-professional levels of Rallycross advancing through like normal but the actual FIA WRX championship is considered the Legend difficulty. Rallycross cars are all 350,000cr so up there with the 2010s rally cars. The most interesting thing to me is that they've given your crew chief a voice to give advice during races like in the F1 games like when you should take the joker and when your opponents are taking it.

Also don't try and race directly behind a group in front, the dust they kick up gives you no vision whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Schorsch posted:

Things I didn't know: The car you choose for the league event uses the upgrades earned in your championship. :doh:

Also, is anyone doing a new goon league season? I'd step in, if neccessary.

e: WRX update is live: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4905
They have the upgrades applied, regardless of whether or not you've unlocked them!

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

Spicy Guacamole posted:

They have the upgrades applied, regardless of whether or not you've unlocked them!

Just tested this and locked upgrades are not applied to your car in an online league event. They are, however, applied to the car in a custom event.
Test was 2010 Fiesta on Kreuzungsring, default setup. There is a straight with two chicanes after the first corner. I backed the car up to the first chicane, did a handbrake start and crashed into the second chicane without moving the wheel. Did this 5 times in a custom event and 5 times in an online league. Max speed in the custom event: always 132 km/h on impact. In the league event: always 123 km/h.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Weird. I thought the devs stated a while back that had been changed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Reddit comments imply that the gear dropping was indeed fixed, just not listed. :toot:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

New league season is up (in about 5 minutes) with a rallycross event for each of the new locations!

Not entirely sure how that'll work (maybe just final time?), but there's only one way to find out!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I have such an awesome feeling after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEREZTz07Co

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Did a few hours of it tonight. They weren't kidding when they said the AI was bad; got up through Pro difficulty and more or less felt like I was hot lapping the whole time because the AI was irrelevant after the first couple turns almost every time. Even with moderate mistakes, I didn't manage to not get first once. The few times I screwed up early, I got the impression AI weren't coded to give a poo poo about contact though; a couple times they got me sideways and just kept pushing me along sideways until I could accelerate to get off their bumper. They also, like PCars, don't seem to understand reversing and a couple times I saw them get stuck nose-first on a wall and sit there the rest of the race.

That said, racing against other players (and maybe even AI when they make it relevant) will probably be super fun since a bit of bumping and grinding is par for the course, unlike most circuit racing where you feel like a dick about contact.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Weird. I thought the devs stated a while back that had been changed.
Naw, that was just for custom events because people were annoyed they couldn't test out fully upgraded cars.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Speaking of awesome rally-related youtube videos, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETUkSlvlp78

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spaced God posted:

Speaking of awesome rally-related youtube videos, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet

McRae is a god and I wish a game had X-Games style stadium rally. Codies need to get on that poo poo because I don't think anything like that was ever in the DIRT games.

Meanwhile after driving around Wales and Germany with it, I've finally come to realise why the E30 is so beloved, christ is that thing fun to throw around.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Did some more Rallycross tonight and bringing an almost unupgraded car (fully upgraded the Fiesta, moved onto the VW*) into Master's events finally actually made my performance matter quite a lot with regards to winning so I actually had to fight the AI; still managed to win, but I might have had to do some bullying. :getin: It was great fun not easily cruising to victory every time while it lasted (the VW is now fully upgraded and rolling them is pretty easy again). Guess I get to do it one more time with the Peugeot, right?

On another note, Rallycross seems great for farming credits hard since Master's events rake in ~150,000 credits (first place, no restarts used) in 18~20 minutes. I'm up over a million credits from 5~6 hours of Rallycross play (not even counting buying a second 350,000 credit car in there somewhere). Credits weren't really an issue since I was hovering around a million anyway, but Rallycross just rakes 'em in if someone was struggling to buy all the cars they wanted.

* Definitely prefer the Fiesta: I made the right call on which to go for first. It just feels more nimble with no real drawbacks for that benefit.

njsykora posted:

Meanwhile after driving around Wales and Germany with it, I've finally come to realise why the E30 is so beloved, christ is that thing fun to throw around.
Not only is it pretty badass, but the only other option for 1980's is a piece of trash (IMO) so that doesn't hurt it being the go-to.

Spaced God posted:

I like how little the roll phases him; I feel the same way after much Dirt Rally play.

Edit: Potentially useful info for anyone who hasn't tested/experienced it yet: the wheel replacement feature gives a minute 30 second penalty (on top of the fact that it only seems to pop up as an option if you do recover car first and don't move again, setting you back another 10~15 second penalty) so I'd use it very sparingly. Unless it's in the first half of a long stage or first sector of a short one, I doubt it's a gain (besides driving with a wheel down being miserable).

bUm fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 5, 2015

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

It looks like the ranking for the WRX League is just based on elapsed time for the final track? Seems like they should be a little more clear about that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

bsamu posted:

It looks like the ranking for the WRX League is just based on elapsed time for the final track? Seems like they should be a little more clear about that.

Yeah, it's a bit unintuitive until you've done it once, then you know forever, I guess.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, rallycross is a panic. :stonk:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is the soft lock option in advanced wheel settings new? Because I've only just noticed it after seeing someone talk about setting up unsupported wheels with the game after the latest patch.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

bUm posted:

It was great fun not easily cruising to victory every time while it lasted (the VW is now fully upgraded and rolling them is pretty easy again). Guess I get to do it one more time with the Peugeot, right?
Turns out I was very wrong: the WRX Peugeot is fantastic unupgraded; fully upgraded it might be my new favorite WRX car. Not sure how much of this is car setup though since I left them all mostly Default, but I think with no upgrades I'd put the Peugeot over the fully upgraded VW.

In other news: anyone else get extreme, game-stopping slow downs when they hit their full-physics, free-standing tire walls? My CPU is old, but it literally brings my game to pretty much a dead stop for ~five seconds when I hit a tire wall hard so I think there might be a serious game optimization lapse.

Also: I don't think the achievement to cross the line in reverse to win an FIA event works. I tried it and didn't get credit; it almost cost me the race too. I still won by .002 seconds. :smuggo:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Holy poo poo, rallycross is a panic. :stonk:

drat, about a third of a second in it

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I really didn't think that was going to happen. I looked at the scores beforehand and figured I could maybe beat sealhammer, because I had managed something like 4:02 or 4:03 in career. Somehow squeaked it out, though. This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, I really didn't think that was going to happen. I looked at the scores beforehand and figured I could maybe beat sealhammer, because I had managed something like 4:02 or 4:03 in career. Somehow squeaked it out, though. This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

I really thought my Top Gear strategy of "Choose the car they WONT EXPECT me to choose" was going to pay off yet again.

For real I think the Opel Kadett is my favorite car in the game

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

I really thought my Top Gear strategy of "Choose the car they WONT EXPECT me to choose" was going to pay off yet again.

For real I think the Opel Kadett is my favorite car in the game
The Opel Kadett is rad as hell, I was surprised. It handles just right, too.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

I was hoping someone would beat my time considering two of the 6 laps (including the first) I rolled the Polo on its side in the second corner next to the joker. The physics on that car are really strange.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

drat. Didn't quite get a time in before the first event ended and it invalidated my time of 3:57 (doesn't show the final times anywhere I see, but, based on this comment, I assume I'd be vying for first).

Ahhh well, think I set a pretty good second event time at a tick over four minutes, but it didn't feel as strong as my Holjes runs were.

If we do another Rallycross in the future (might be irrelevant after PvP is added and we can just Rallycross with each other), can we get a harder AI setting? Dealing with lapped traffic near the end of the Final is really sketchy and that's the one it takes the time from!

SealHammer posted:

I was hoping someone would beat my time considering two of the 6 laps (including the first) I rolled the Polo on its side in the second corner next to the joker. The physics on that car are really strange.
That right turn before the left into the joker/not joker has put me on two wheels many times.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

bUm posted:

drat. Didn't quite get a time in before the first event ended and it invalidated my time of 3:57 (doesn't show the final times anywhere I see, but, based on this comment, I assume I'd be vying for first).

Ahhh well, think I set a pretty good second event time at a tick over four minutes, but it didn't feel as strong as my Holjes runs were.

If we do another Rallycross in the future (might be irrelevant after PvP is added and we can just Rallycross with each other), can we get a harder AI setting? Dealing with lapped traffic near the end of the Final is really sketchy and that's the one it takes the time from!

That right turn before the left into the joker/not joker has put me on two wheels many times.
Yeah, it'd be easier if the AI sped up a little bit.

Speaking of speeding up, if you haven't done the second event, there's still a couple hours left! You can still make it! pik_d??

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, it'd be easier if the AI sped up a little bit.

Speaking of speeding up, if you haven't done the second event, there's still a couple hours left! You can still make it! pik_d??

Got a time in, caught the AIs on the last few corners, don't think it added 2 seconds though.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Ahhhhh! They finally fixed the mobile GPU bug and I'm able to play it and holy fuckballs is this game awesome!

I never thought I'd see an honest spiritual successor to Richard Burns Rally (or my old favorite, Michelin Rally... 20 minutes stages and you couldn't save between them goddamned that game was beautifully cruel) but this is scratching all of the right itches. I only had a chance to run the first two Greek rallies in a looser-than-goose-poo poo 60's Mini Cooper but I loved every minute of it.

I'm so happy they decided to reboot as a more focused rally sim instead of the increasing bro-racing tilt of the last two Dirts.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, it's way better than the last few. Even though a little part of me thinks that the hillclimb and rallycross elements are a bit of a... distraction from good ol' stage rally, they've managed to keep them all very tight and not arcadey. They're doing a good job.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, it's way better than the last few. Even though a little part of me thinks that the hillclimb and rallycross elements are a bit of a... distraction from good ol' stage rally, they've managed to keep them all very tight and not arcadey. They're doing a good job.

Now all we need is some TSD and some Baja/Dakar.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I don't care what they add, as long as it's not that Gymkhana bullshit

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Safari Rally or riot.

Greece is actually a pretty good substitute for rough-rear end dusty roads, but I'd still like to see a return of the classic.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 12, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
safari rally with realistic WRC-era length stages, please

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

IceAgeComing posted:

safari rally with realistic WRC-era length stages, please

Really just this. If nothing else, realistic WRC stage length.

And the loving cooperative play.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I must be the only person that hates the long stages...

so rally cross is a great change of pace. What lap times are people doing for the two full circuits? I need something to aim for while waiting on pvp.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Qmass posted:

I must be the only person that hates the long stages...

so rally cross is a great change of pace. What lap times are people doing for the two full circuits? I need something to aim for while waiting on pvp.
I don't like long stages much in the context of basically-never-screws-up AI (I like being first!). In league or online where I don't feel as compelled to push to maintain first and can go at a more comfortable, but still quick pace (managed a couple top 20 spots on Weeklies out of high hundreds people completing them), I like them more.

I'm not sure we'll get anything much longer than Pike's Peak (~10 minutes with a strong car) due to engine limitations; I'd assume with the quality of ground mapping and modelling of things, they probably can't manage anything close to a real life long stage of 20+ minutes (in a non-crap car... if you could take the 60's cars up Pike's Peak, that might take 20 minutes), let alone a Dakar of hundreds of miles.

I wouldn't be opposed to longer stages that are more about endurance--not screwing up disasterously--if feasible, but I'd probably have the same like/dislike relationship as current long ones except more pronounced (making a mistake-free 20 minute run at on-the-precipice-of-disaster speed to compete with AI would be so frustrating :argh:).

I'd probably prefer just more stages though. The stage redundancy still sticks out like a sore thumb as my far and away biggest gripe with the game.

On Rallycross: good pace with a fully upgraded car (upgrades aren't as important as other modes), I'd say 40±1 second lap times are admirable. Add 2~3 seconds on Holjes Joker lap and 4~5 on Lydden Joker. Think my lap records for both tracks are in the low 38 second range (might've even managed to just crack into a high 37 second on Holjes), so there's a pissing contest target. :cheeky:

bUm fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 14, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

A new league season starts at midnight! Be there or be square!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"This is that windy woods section. I think I'm getting close to the finish. Wait, I don't recognize thi- oh, poo poo!"

*screeee!*

"Phew, that was close. I almost got killed, right there! At least the car didn't-"

*throws car off the road*

:downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxwayjV5jaQ

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Tried the best i could to represent controller and the mini, the thing seems like it has no power atall :( was this a stock car event or something? Seemed way more powerful when i took it out after..

Also broom broom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR9XhQow1Qc

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I really want to get behind this but the wheel settings and calibration are loving HIDEOUS. My wheel feels so loving sticky its almost unbearable going into chicanes and hairpins. I've tried some guides for my DFGT but nothing feels "right" - I never had this problem in RBR either. I don't know how to explain it other than my wheel feels laggy and unresponsive like it's stuck in mud (even though I'm driving on asphalt.) I've had more success with a controller which is ridiculous. Any tips?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DING DING IT'S UPDATE TIME!! V0.7 WRX Multiplayer is now live! Here's the basic changes. Big stuff is more RX cars, rain in RX races, AI improvements based on the times people were putting in and changes to the off-track timer. Update is an almighty 3.4gb.

quote:

-A new World RX track - Hell, Norway
-New Rallycross drivers including, Liam Doran and Petter Solberg
-Wet weather for all Rallycross tracks
-Three new cars: DS3, MINI Countryman Rallycross and Subaru WRX STI
-Brand new Wager Daily Event
-Some new advanced gamepad options
-Added a “Very Early” option for your Co-Driver calls
-A frankly amazing set of Hints and Tips for you to read during loading screens
-Removed the additional time penalty when the Off Track Reset Countdown expires and upped the limit on the timer
-We’ll now show you your 'Fastest lap' onscreen for an entire Rallycross Event
-Clutch Override which will give you the ability to use your clutch to override the automatic gearbox clutch

Full changelog is here, also it's not mentioned in the changelog but I'm assuming multiplayer has been added for rallycross races given this is the RX Multiplayer update.

E: Online rallycross is the exact crashfest you'd expect if you've done any online racing at all. Events are 3 races on one layout of each location. So the series I just did was Lydden Hill Junior, Holjes Full and then Hell Full. No heats or semis, just one race with the people in the lobby split into races according to their standings. Also you can earn credits from racing, though not much. Those 3 races I did got me about 10,000Cr. You can also do custom championships if you want to just race with friends, so we might try and get a race night together at some point.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 25, 2015

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Did a few races last night, I agree it's sorta a poo poo-show. Also annoying that there's no voice options yet (i'd prefer not to have a bunch of people breathing into their mic come out over my speakers). However, pretty fun when you get in a group of people who race relatively clean and know what they're doing. Apparently I'm really bad at rallycross!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Managed to get some pretty good times over the last week, 63rd for this daily
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykIJJkPTKdQ

Then about 16th with this one, but i did it quite in the day, still say i finished about top 100 or so (I really wish they gave you your final standing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcBm5cDOAUM

Now i just need a wheel, and to learn this new clutch system.

• Locked thread