Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm continuing my tradition of making a complete hash of any racing game with my G27.

Seriously though, if there's a wall in this game I'm going to hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

skooma512 posted:

I'm continuing my tradition of making a complete hash of any racing game with my G27.

Seriously though, if there's a wall in this game I'm going to hit it.

I mostly careen into ravines. I'm really terrible at this game.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shortspecialbus posted:

I mostly careen into ravines. I'm really terrible at this game.

Im pretty bad too, which is a shame since I am actually competing in some grassroots dirt racing next season IRL... I need to stop playing videogames and start lifting weights in the garage again.

In dirt rally it seems like I'll get into the ravine but use momentum to fly back out superhero style.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's a patch coming out sometime this week (v0.71 number fans) to fix and add a few things. Private lobbies for online rallycross is the big thing so we should try and get a Gooncross session going at some point.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Private lobbies for online rallycross is the big thing so we should try and get a Gooncross session going at some point.
Sounds like a thing that would be fun.

I still haven't played since the second rallycross patch and should probably check out the new cars/track/AI anyway.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

bUm posted:

I still haven't played since the second rallycross patch and should probably check out the new cars/track/AI anyway.
Got some good time in the second rallycross patch finally. Fully upgraded the DS3 and started upgrading the :swoon: Subaru :swoon:. I'm loving the way the Subaru feels; it may dispossess the Peugeot as my favorite rallycross car.

Generally though, the patch is kind of disappointing:
- I'm pretty sure they added a new bug that makes dust/smoke hang in the air for stupidly long times (least I never noticed it this bad before). I can understand some dust (drastically less than there seems to be) maybe still hanging in the air when you come round ~30 seconds after the last car went through that area, but visible smoke from tires skidding on tarmac still hanging around ~30 seconds later? Nope. That doesn't add up unless the AI was doing donuts instead of racing. It's like there's a localized dust storm over all the gravel/dirt sections on the rallycross tracks and splotches of white smoke just constantly hanging around on most tight tarmac turns.

- The new AI seems to have forgotten that they are racing with other cars and will gleefully pit maneuver you and other AI alike with reckless disregard. I understand rallycross is contact racing, but it seems almost like they coded in malicious intent with how often I've just been blatantly spun out by the new AI, despite frantically trying my best to hold on turning full into them spinning me out. I only watched a few of the FIA Rallycross stuff the Dirt Devs linked, but I'm pretty sure intentionally spinning other racers is frowned upon in the sport and might entail a penalty.

- The new track is solid. A lot more turn/lower speed and technical focused that feels like longer laps, but are actually slightly shorter.

- However, the garbage AI strikes again here in that the AI follows their aggressive lines with zero fucks given to the presence of other cars and often will blindside you and other AI when they take their Joker because the line they take cuts straight through the best-approach-line to the first corner for people not taking their Joker and they will just up and T-bone you at 100+ MPH. I literally have resorted to taking my Joker the first lap every time so that I'm behind the AI and don't receive race-ending damage when they decide to take their Joker; if I pass them before they take it, I've opted to taking a slow line that hugs the inside curb going into the first turn despite it being far slower so then their Joker line takes them outside me rather than chancing it to being fuckin' Hot Wheels criss-cross derby on whether they'll take me out when going for their Joker. The only amusing part about this thing that even rudimentary beta testing (literally a race or two since it happens almost every race) should've caught and prevented from getting to live is that in the 6-car races the back three seem hard-coded to take their Joker first lap and this often forces the first three cars into taking their Joker the first lap too because they literally are rammed into taking it by the back three preventing them from turning down into the first turn.

- And, perhaps the saddest part: on top of giving the AI lobotomies and making them sociopaths that want to destroy other cars, they are still pretty piss poor competition for me. I struggled a bit with the unupgraded DS3 (playing against presumably Master AI, doing the FIA thing against the real world named AI) and got 3rd/2nd/1st my first championship, but got easy firsts for the second championship when I started with half the upgrades. With the Subaru I'm 1st/1st/ so far after going in my upgradeless championship. I guess the gap back to them is closer, around half the former 10~20 seconds to second place for Master AI before, but still seems much easier than Master AI for the traditional rally/hill climb stuff which is a little disappointing since the challenge there is the course and the challenge of rallycross should be the other racers since hotlapping the tracks isn't too tough.

Complaining aside, the patch njsykora mentioned has happened I think and we could get together a goon rallycross if there was interest. I haven't done any PvP or looked at the PvP stuff to know much about it though.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
I was hoping that Codemasters, at least for the purposes of multiplayer, would let you drive the other car classes in rallycross. Do people not want to have Kadett v Stratos thunderdomes?

The FIA is dumb.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Tatrakrad posted:

I was hoping that Codemasters, at least for the purposes of multiplayer, would let you drive the other car classes in rallycross. Do people not want to have Kadett v Stratos thunderdomes?

The FIA is dumb.

It's almost like licensing deals don't exist to make good games

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Thanks to a long move and longer ??? period of wondering where I'd work next, I've spent 4 months away from this beautiful thing.

So I know I missed Germany and RallyX- and honestly, I'm absolutely sure my skills have atrophied horribly. I'm gonna have a terrible time getting used to Rally's craziness again, and I'm so excited.

This game for me is just one long meditation- everything else exits my brain and I become one with my feelings, so as a result, controlling my emotions and energy goes a surprisingly long way to delivering a quality time.

Also, I was awful trash at Hillclimb after it came out. Any tips to keep in mind for it, when coming off of proper rally?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it possible to drive the slower cars on hill climb yet ?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I just want crossover Joker jumps like the old Rallycross circuits back at the X Games :(

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Here's a real life preview of the track coming up in the next update (within a week?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2s-WqXcG9A

Should be really fast and awesome.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Looks like Finland could be fun: a faster Wales that is difficult more for speed/jumps than the camber trying to buck you off the road between technical/slower sections.

Other things to look forward to next patch if you aren't following their weekly blogs: they're continuing to improve Rallycross AI (the community told them what I whined about prior: the AI basically isn't aware you exist at all and is completely and totally awful about hitting/pit-maneuvering you) and their competitiveness (further modest improvements to their times). Also, they're finally adding Custom Championships to Career so you can earn ducats while not being confined to their difficulty/length scaling system which is awesome because being held to 12-stage events without intentionally lowering standing by abandoning down difficulties is kind of terrible as was being locked to a vehicle class for ~4 hours of driving (to be ~5 with Finland), assuming no restarts.

After doing way too much Rallycross to be ready for goon rallycross that never happened (:smithcloud:), I wandered back to Hill Climb that I had largely omitted thanks to taking a break for PCars and never revisiting and finished upgrading a car (the 405) and beating it at Master difficulty. Not going to lie, it's kind of lame that Master has three events and only two options for courses: full thing paved or full thing mixed surface, guaranteeing a repeat. Also seems pretty easy at Master, I was offing the AI by a solid 20~30 seconds on both variants, but maybe it's tougher with the 205/Audi that are modestly lesser cars (in theory, I haven't tried 'em). If I wasn't already swimming in credits from Rallycross (~5 million, maybe enough to just straight up buy every car I don't already have), Hill Climb seems like a great way to rake them in since you can abandon your second run (if the first was good) and rattle off event wins at 10 minutes a pop. Kind of weird how low credit basic rallies/online are in comparison, never mind how much more difficult they are, increasing likelihood of restarts/lower income bracketing.

After that, I wandered back to regular rally checking out the Opel Kadett since I never revisited the 70's after it was added. The Opel Kadett was fantastic on the first rally, Monaco (managed to rock the Master AI by a not-insignificant 25 second margin non-upgraded with very few restarts because it cut the tarmac up so cleanly and easily), and I was going to come extol the virtues of it until I moved on to Greece. Not sure if it's the heavy gravel or gravel in general, but it seems to be a pile of rear end on Greece. I can't get it to go around hairpins (uphill or down) for the life of me for some reason: it's either understeering maddeningly until I drop to almost a stop or abrupt oversteering and getting me trapped nose-first in the bushes/rocks inside the hairpin. Aside from the horrendously slow switchbacks, it's not terribly composed on the faster rough stuff between either. Poked and prodded the setup for probably over an hour (see: among the longest of any car/location pairing right up with the Lancia 037 on Wales) and nothing seemed to significantly tame it on the rough parts or appreciably up the pace on the hairpins. Want to try it on Germany, more than a bit leery about even bringing it to Wales (instead of grabbing the 70's Fiat or Ford which I also don't yet have).

As ever: Dirt Rally giveth much fun and then occasionally taketh it away with a bad car/location/setup combo just making it miserable to try and get around without flying off a cliff or feeding your radiator rocks or tree bark. :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

After doing way too much Rallycross to be ready for goon rallycross that never happened (:smithcloud:)

My apologies there, I've basically been working non-stop since that last patch came out to the point where I've barely done any rally at all. I do still want to do it though, possibly as a pre-game event to the new Gooncar series the iRacing crew are starting this weekend. What times work for people?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Finland looks cool, and fixing the Rallycross AI would be real nice. But when are they going to add more hill climb?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

bUm posted:

Also, they're finally adding Custom Championships to Career so you can earn ducats while not being confined to their difficulty/length scaling system which is awesome because being held to 12-stage events without intentionally lowering standing by abandoning down difficulties is kind of terrible as was being locked to a vehicle class for ~4 hours of driving (to be ~5 with Finland), assuming no restarts.

Thank gently caress. This has basically been my only gripe as I move up the ranks.

Also the achievements have been added to Steam, detailing the Finland stages as well as the inclusion of a 2000s class. The achievement for the new class, "Friends - Rivals - Champions - Legends", implies that Colin McRae's Ford Focus and Richard Burns' Peugeot 206 are included in that class.

Still hard to believe how good this game is turning out to be sometimes.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
They cut Ouninpohja into two different stages. I personally would have picked Lankamaa and Mökkiperä as my preferred stages but I guess you gotta pick out the iconic one out first.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

My apologies there, I've basically been working non-stop since that last patch came out to the point where I've barely done any rally at all. I do still want to do it though, possibly as a pre-game event to the new Gooncar series the iRacing crew are starting this weekend. What times work for people?
NA evenings (anytime after ~7:30 PM Central) are good for me regardless of day. Could do earlier on weekends (and sometimes weekdays), but probably more hit or miss on that.

Jehde posted:

Also the achievements have been added to Steam, detailing the Finland stages as well as the inclusion of a 2000s class. The achievement for the new class, "Friends - Rivals - Champions - Legends", implies that Colin McRae's Ford Focus and Richard Burns' Peugeot 206 are included in that class.

Still hard to believe how good this game is turning out to be sometimes.
Never really looked at the fully detailed achievement list, but I'd like to note that it's really dumb it doesn't count the beating the community delta ones if you do it in career. I feel like I'd probably have gotten every one of those achievements if they did (pretty sure the community delta is a pretty low bar based on the once-ever-I-saw daily that did delta instead of their tri-bracket) instead of having none because doing a run on every single stage in the game solely for an achievement seems like a waste of time when I've already done it a bunch in career.

Looks like my most obscure achievements are: winning a Group B RWD Championship ("We The Terrors"), Kit Car Championship ("Here's One I Made Earlier"), and Master's Championships with three different vehicles ("Nobody Knows I’m Famous").

Dirt Rally is proving to be a pretty solid endeavor. Kind of curious if they're going to announce more stuff in the pipeline as we close in on the end of their timeline (only two updates/months remain after Finland drops: "Modern Masters" [more 2010 cars? hopefully some post-80's Hillclimb cars?] and "Winter Wonderland" [Sweden]) or if they're going to "release" it and move onto DLC/expansion talk.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I bet they'll be tight-lipped until release to keep expectations manageable, then after release probably throw in a freebie update before talking about DLC. There's already a lot of ground covered though so I can't imagine a whole lot will come post-release.

Edit: Co-op rally DLC pls Codemasters.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 25, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I haven't played this in a while, is the FFB mod still recommended?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

I haven't played this in a while, is the FFB mod still recommended?

Yeah, every update brings FFB tweaks and it is improving but the mod is still better.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out it's Burns' 2001 Impreza, not the 206. Also Codemasters is impressed enough with Dirt Rally that they're going to port it to consoles after it's done.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just 4.7 Great British Gigabytes stand between you and DIRT RALLY 0.8!!

There isn't a changelog up yet because it literally just started downloading for me!

E: Changelog time, big changes are:

- FINLAND! 12 stages, 8 sprint 4 full you know how this works by now.
- The Subaru Impreza 2001 and Ford Focus RS Rally 2001, both forming the new 2000s vehicle class.
- Custom championships! Set your own championship length in events and stages, set the AI difficulty and actually earn career credits for it.
- Mouse support in menus!
- 60s, 70s, 80s, 2010s and RWD cars have all had their physics reworked, but the latest Road Book blog gave warning that this might have negatively affected their FFB. This'll be fixed when the rest of the cars get the new physics model.
- Replays now wrap around, so you can rewind from the start to watch the end of the stage.
- You can now invite people from your Steam friend list into PVP lobbies.

Here's the rest of the little changes and fixes.

quote:

-The audio FX levels for the surfaces and kick up have been brought back so that you can hear all that gravely goodness.
- We sent our Rallycross AI drivers to the opticians so that they can now see when they need to avoid other cars when they are approaching the joker entrance. Now that they can see better they are also setting faster laps.
- We’ve fixed the camera clipping in certain camera angles when you changed the Field of View.
- We’ve made some Hyper threading fixes that should now prevent those annoying stuttering issues that some of you were having.
- We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
- Toggling Push to Talk or enabling/disabling voice communications through the pause menu is now actually working.
- The Reset Timer has now been increased to 15 seconds when attempting to get back on track. I know we said that before but this time it is actually in.
- Cars will no longer roll over on the start in PVP races, ROFL.
- We’ve made sure that the cars are visible on the start line even when collisions are turned off in PVP – they will still ghost during the race though.
- Your PVP opponents won’t be showboating and driving around with the handbrake on anymore.
- The gear setup will no longer be changing between stages without a service area.
- We’ve fixed those odd camera angles that were being used in spectate mode.
- The miles driven using owned vehicles in PVP now accrue towards unlocking upgrades for that vehicle.
- When viewing a replay using an interior camera, the speedometers now show the correct speed for all vehicles.
- We’ve fixed a whole host of other stuff too but they were too boring to call out in this list.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 30, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

njsykora posted:

- The Subaru Impreza 2001 and Ford Focus RS Rally 2001, both forming the new 2000s vehicle class.
Unnnffff

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

One more thing, remember that with every update the price of the game gets a little bump. I bought in for £22.50 in the first week and it's now £33. Though it's also 15% off this week to celebrate the update.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

- Mouse support in menus!

- We’ve made some Hyper threading fixes that should now prevent those annoying stuttering issues that some of you were having.

The mouse support was a surprisingly lacking feature for a game that's PC only. Also the hyperthreading is a very welcome addition. I just noticed this issue last night as I was trying to break my personal Pikes Peak record, the hitching made it pretty difficult in spots. My personal record is 9:11, set in Dirt 1, I managed a 9:13 in Dirt Rally but there were a couple notable gently caress ups. I'll try again after I get bored of running Finland non-stop.

Edit: There's no clickable 'OK' or 'cancel' buttons in the menu so you can't use the mouse entirely. :downs:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 30, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

quote:

- We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
Nice to see they finally came around on that one that I pointed out as dumb literally the first goon league event.

Make playing in leagues with friends a money-losing-only proposition!*

* Was more important before Hillclimb/RX made making money hand over fist normal.

Jehde posted:

I just noticed this issue last night as I was trying to break my personal Pikes Peak record, the hitching made it pretty difficult in spots. My personal record is 9:11, set in Dirt 1, I managed a 9:13 in Dirt Rally but there were a couple notable gently caress ups. I'll try again after I get bored of running Finland non-stop.

Edit: There's no clickable 'OK' or 'cancel' buttons in the menu so you can't use the mouse entirely. :downs:
I should probably tend to setting a good record on Pike's Pike too (road version, I assume you're talking about mixed based on mentioning Dirt 1); had a great run going that was significantly faster than my current best, I flopped it hard near the top of the mountain, losing ~20 seconds between going off-penalty for off-getting moving again, and still came in ~5 seconds over 9 minutes (better than Master AI).

That's funny about the menus, but not surprising. It'll get resolved for the next big patch, if not sooner. I'm fine without mouse compatibility anyway, the only menu I feel really is getting long in the tooth is the car class select; they really need to turn it into a grid instead of a left/right only so it's easier to get to the later classes.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

bUm posted:

they really need to turn it into a grid instead of a left/right only so it's easier to get to the later classes.
Grid isn't necessary for that, they just need to allow moving left from first category to last.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It would be kinda neat if they turned it into the periodic table of Dirt, but it makes sense to keep the cars in separated categories.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Oh man, Finland is amazing. It's tempting to just floor it all the time, but then you're basically skipping around from crest to crest, not even touching the ground. Then you get a tight corner and retire due to trees. So fun.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I can never play this game for very long because I white-knuckle grip my controller at the tense parts.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Roots Radical posted:

Oh man, Finland is amazing. It's tempting to just floor it all the time, but then you're basically skipping around from crest to crest, not even touching the ground. Then you get a tight corner and retire due to trees. So fun.

I haven't done too many stages yet but that urge to floor it is super tempting. You get lots of air off those jumps and if you didn't listen to the co-driver about where to point off the other end you can get impressive distance into the woods. oops!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

For reals, Finland is better than I expected. Makes Dirt 3's implementation of Finland seem lame.

Edit: Rallycross AI are still assholes.

Oh and I keep harping on about co-op rally, but I know there's atleast one other goon that wants this and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49yvjpP6gI0&t=2235s

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2015

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Finland is definitely the hardest track. It's funny- other tracks have more tight turns, other tracks have less grip, other tracks are bumpier.

But none of them combine utterly insane speeds with less grip than you need and so many crests that after awhile your co-driver just stops calling them out because of course there's a crest then crest.

Completing the course once- just once- is an accomplishment. I adore it.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

My Finland experience: I'm going too fast. Am I going too fast? I should probably brake just in case. Welp, too late.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Going too fast isn't the problem, it's the line you pick that becomes a problem.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
You mean the line of trees?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

GhostDog posted:

You mean the line of trees?

Lines that you take on the road. Where you are three seconds later is far more important than where you are now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Triple A posted:

Lines that you take on the road. Where you are three seconds later is far more important than where you are now.

Where I am 3 seconds later is usually the line of trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Triple A posted:

It was a joke :ssh:

• Locked thread