Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Goodbye merk see you next month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I stopped playing for a couple years for basically no reason (had a kid I guess) so maybe we can both be old and incontinent mafia players together in a few decades!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Retro Futurist posted:

lol

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sub Rosa posted:

I would also encourage other people who may, like me, sometimes not actually enjoy playing Mafia, at least going on some of the very emotional reactions I have seen in a handful of recent games, also consider taking a break to observe instead of play. Observing is still fun, and maybe you should take a break from getting very mad at Mafia?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I will still be here playing mafia long after we’ve all died.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

merk posted:

It's been a good run, but I'm heading out. In my last game, a player became so frustrated with me that he self voted and then basically stopped playing and another player throughout a game day said that she had to restrain herself from emotionally responding to my posts. Both flipped town, so these reactions were genuine. Apparently, I am doing something wrong if I aggravate people to those points.

Good luck, everyone. This might be the end for good from me.

As the 2nd townie involved, I don't think having this be "the end for good" is necessary at all. One of the other frustrating things about that game was, I don't usually have any issue with your style of posting. Even when it happened to catch me out on this one occasion, and get me very unexpectedly frustrated and angry, I could recognise that it was an unusual reaction on my part and it was on me to not go nuts in the game about it. I'm really sorry I couldn't step back enough to avoid pushing your buttons right back.

Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it in the thread at all, but I didn't think people getting so annoyed in Mafia from time to time that they gotta go cool down was anything unusual. So all I could think to do was explain it was happening to me right then, that I had to cool down but it wasn't quite working yet, and try to blow off the most steam in masonry instead of thread. I think it could have worked out in my case, and maybe others, if you can try and do the a bit of the same to cool off yourself? And recognise that people who are getting frustrated with you aren't trying to just "hide behind emotion" or say "merk is mean" as their only case, but they're just poorly expressing something that's happening on their end, and dismissing those reactions might inflame things further.

To try and explain what the "something you're doing wrong" might be, there were two very specific things that I can identify that made me angry at that time. One was the repeated "this cannot be town" line. This one I know is definitely a big overreaction on my part and an extremely personal quirk that you shouldn't have to work around at all. I get a bit touchy at the idea that I'm so incomprehensible to others that they can't even imagine how my mindset could possibly be genuine. But hyperbole is a thing, and reacting like that is catastrophic thinking, and those statements are natural enough to make in the context of Mafia. I post like that myself too, when I want to make a point confidently. So I don't think there's anything wrong with this you need to fix. But I'll point it out just because, it may be better to tone down that kind of thing once a game is already heated, and take a moment to let the kayfabe down just to check in.

The main thing that made me angry in the first place, and more likely to react badly to even innocuous hyperbole like that, was you simply saying I didn't have a case, or hadn't made one. Especially when it was said again, after I'd spent the entire game day explaining why I thought you were scum, directly appealing people to try and vote you cause I thought you were scum (and here was why), or calling someone else scum, but only in the same breath as saying they were scumbros with you. Maybe it was a semantics thing? Since I'd reacted to a lot of posts of yours and recapped what happened that I thought was scummy, but never put it in a format more like the one you're known for. So maybe you really didn't think it was "making a case" and wouldn't see my efforts as sincere unless I tried to humor you by stating things in that more formal way? But being completely point-blank dismissed like that is something that can sometimes get under my skin, so I said as much. Especially since at the time, I thought it was relevant as further evidence you were scum... Since it seemed so obvious to me that I'd made my case already, so man, look at this scumbo trying to spin things and dismiss my case entirely, am I right? But turned out I was wrong about that.

A break might be good, but I hope you don't continue to believe it's necessary to quit Mafia. Especially not if you're actually taking the time and effort to reflect on it like this. I'm sorry again that I tried to keep rolling with it when I definitely needed more cooldown time than I actually took, and it brought the game down.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I enjoy Mafia, but I hate playing Mafia.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
I just hate how you refused to build a case while constantly saying "Build a case then" while just calling me/someone else scum, while also making minimal content posts. The smugness is what really drove me over the edge. There is nothing more grating than smug merk. We played together years ago when personal attacks were still somewhat okay, and I quite distinctly remember being on the receiving end of several from you in regards to my mafia abilities. So yeah, you pissed me off and sucked all my enjoyment out of that game.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

DGK2000 posted:

I just hate how you refused to build a case while constantly saying "Build a case then" while just calling me/someone else scum, while also making minimal content posts. The smugness is what really drove me over the edge. There is nothing more grating than smug merk. We played together years ago when personal attacks were still somewhat okay, and I quite distinctly remember being on the receiving end of several from you in regards to my mafia abilities. So yeah, you pissed me off and sucked all my enjoyment out of that game.

Overall, I like you Merk. I was dealing with a pretty bad ear infection so I was probably a little on edge already. I don't want to never play with you again.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
:yikes:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I definitely go through Cycles of Mafia; sometimes it's the most fun in the world, and sometimes I strongly consider finding all of your homes and rearranging your kitchens

Retro Futurist posted:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DGK2000 posted:

I don't want to never play with you again.

this could have been phrased less ambiguously lol, i had a roller coaster of confusion reading your post

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Taking this opportunity to say that I will continue to not play mafia

Mainly because of the restraining order that birb has taken out against me SPECIFICALLY states this in the terms

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Moatillata posted:

Mainly because of the restraining order that birb has taken out against me SPECIFICALLY states this in the terms

RBG’s final determination was that this continue to be enforced

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

lasting legacy of a mafia pipeline running through auspol

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

RBG’s final determination was that this continue to be enforced

:911:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

t a s t e posted:

lasting legacy of a mafia pipeline running through auspol

Its been a while since an auspol game

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably because they sick of Australians loving up an easy vote.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Moatillata posted:

Only cowards obey the law

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Mordiceius posted:

I enjoy Mafia, but I hate playing Mafia.

I like playing once a year or so. It reminds me of the joy of the deduction game, the challenge of the social game, and the reasons I only play once a year or so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Might run a game

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I think it's probably also important to point out that pretty much everybody is going to be running at least a little hot nowadays.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CCKeane posted:

I think it's probably also important to point out that pretty much everybody is going to be running at least a little hot nowadays.

What the gently caress is THAT supposed to mean!?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Retro Futurist posted:

What the gently caress is THAT supposed to mean!?

I'LL loving GLASS YOU MOTHERFUCKER

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

merk posted:

It's been a good run, but I'm heading out. In my last game, a player became so frustrated with me that he self voted and then basically stopped playing and another player throughout a game day said that she had to restrain herself from emotionally responding to my posts. Both flipped town, so these reactions were genuine. Apparently, I am doing something wrong if I aggravate people to those points.

Good luck, everyone. This might be the end for good from me.

*sailor moon joke*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CCKeane posted:

I'LL loving GLASS YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Come to Canada if you want an rear end kicking

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Retro Futurist posted:

Moving there December 1

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Retro Futurist posted:

that’s pretty far, can I just go to the embassy instead?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Got the setup for my game all done, I just need to write up an OP and decide when I want to open up pre-signs, and when to actually start it.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of which pls sign up for humalong's foxnews mafia so we can start

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't have the consistent energy and patience required to be a player right now. Designing an entire 13-person role madness setup in a short burst of manic activity is much easier.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

speaking of which pls sign up for humalong's foxnews mafia so we can start

i would if my hours were more favorable for mafia but as things are now i dont think it'd be fair or fun to everyone else since i'd be viewed as lurking only posting in the dead of night or early early morning

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JOHN CENA posted:

i dont think it'd be fair or fun to everyone else since i'd be posting

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

now i wanna play

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

everybody is going to be running at least a little hot nowadays.

Oh you know I run hot baby ;-*

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
oh it's the taylor swift page of this thread

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I should play mafia soon. not now. but soon!

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

That means it’s almost the Kanye page right

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

George Kansas posted:

oh it's the taylor swift page of this thread

Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005