Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Is everyone in NYC, Florida, Australia or Canada? Come to Texas. The sun is hot. Public transportation is mostly a joke and we have the biggest honky-tonk in the the U.S., possibly the world. Whatever a honky-tonk is...

Duck Hunt Dog and I are the Austin Mafia crew, such as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

The best crew.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Allen Wren posted:

Woooo~! I haven't been to Austin in years which just kind of sucks, but if I make my way down there I'll see if you'd like to grab a beer. Dallas here.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'll hang out with goons coming to NYC. Welp, that's my story.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I might be able to do a November meetup, depending on a large number of factors.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hawaii is the halfway point between the east coast of the US and AUS

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CCKeane posted:

I'll hang out with goons coming to NYC. Welp, that's my story.
do you want to buy my hamilton tickets for 2000 dollars

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

do you want to buy my hamilton tickets for 2000 dollars

Ill give you a Hamilton from 2000.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

apparently the place im staying is apparently in hamilton heights, so idk if can get any more hamiltonian than this

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

JakeP posted:

Counting Crows are one of my favorite bands to see in concert and was who I was trying to get tickets for :(

yeah they are pretty good, its just something i personally wouldn't get excited for. weezer i can get excited for tho.

i need to see more bands. i like that despite i only been to like 10 shows in my life people act like this is a large number when i tell them and i am like "you have way more money than me you could be seeing poo poo constantly why are you surprised"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I've only been to like 8 shows to big bands but I go to local shows all the drat time and used to be in a band of my own. Some ppl are noobs.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Max posted:

If one were to visit the Higher Pictures Gallery in NYC starting from the 28th through the next 5 weeks, you will see my artwork hanging on the walls. Go, marvel at how people could consider stick figure renditions of famous photographs art and then come back here and talk about how much you hate me.

jesus christ

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i am literally speechless at your art work

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how can u see art work when u are in lawerence what the

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

max can u explain why you did this and also why is it art and some stuff like that

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

like what does the little box next to your work say

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

are the oriiginal photos next to your index cards

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

There used to be a Georgia mafia crew but none of them post anymore and Cpig moved.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

how can u see art work when u are in lawerence what the

https://www.google.com

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Little Mac posted:

There used to be a Georgia mafia crew but none of them post anymore

:ironicat:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dongsbot 9000 posted:

max can u explain why you did this and also why is it art and some stuff like that

quote:

Higher Pictures is pleased to present the work of Charles Woodard. The 60 four-by-six-inch flashcards on view here comprise the complete set of drawings Woodard made as an undergraduate in 2007 when he was a student in Nick Muellner’s notoriously difficult history of photography survey course at Ithaca College. This is the first time these original pieces have been shown and this is Woodard’s first solo gallery exhibition.

Without a working printer, Woodard chose to hand-draw the flashcards he used as exam study aids. Presented chronologically-from the German scholar Athanasius Kircher’s description of a double-chambered camera obscura in 1646 to Thomas Struth’s large-scale museum photograph Art Institute of Chicago II, Chicago, dating to 1990- the drawings tell the history of photography through humorously reductive, but tellingly successful, reproductions of some of the most iconic images. When compared to their sources some details in Woodard’s sketches are exaggerated (Bayard’s unnervingly defined abdominal muscles in Self-Portrait as a Drowned Man, 1840), while others are uncannily faithful (crossed legs and the right hand raised and touching the face, in Diane Arbus’s Topless Dancer, San Francisco, 1968), but none is thoroughly described. That so many of the photographs are readily identifiable from such scant information underscores the power of a truly compelling image, the reductive nature of visual memory, and the collective process of building and perpetuating cultural histories.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

ah nice i dont click poo poo i was just so overcome by the art

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

NONE OF THEM

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

:chanpop:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

max, i gotta say, it really makes me consider not only the humorous aspect of these flash cards, but also the reductive nature of image recall and how that relates to our more profound engagement with the world through memory

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Normandy and Parade one are pretty great

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
everything that press release says is right, stuff is interesting cause of the distillation of these images into just clean easy to read compositions and just the fact that they were created for personal study, but somehow these sloppy copies can still invoke the same powerful feelings as the originals

its art man

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

imo the brocephalon anki deck is a work of art 2

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Normandy and Mother With Deceased Child Daguerreotype are good.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Also I feel like I "know" a celebrity.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
One day I will worship at the feet of busb, best of the posters.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Tommunist posted:

One day I will worship at the feet of busb, best of the posters.

Brave Unique Silly Boyz lol

Max
Nov 30, 2002

dongsbot 9000 posted:

are the oriiginal photos next to your index cards

The press release explains most of it. The original art isn't going to be shown, since that's not how they were presented. They were indeed just flash cards, since my photography teacher taught these monstrously difficult history classes that absolutely required the use of them. My printer broke, I was cheap, so I just pulled out my index cards and drew the pictures that could possibly show up on the exam. I came very close to throwing them out, but my professor saw them and asked to do something with them. Then they became a book, which has done moderately well within the art - photography world.

There are 60 total at the show, the website doesn't have all of them up, including the ones that weren't published in the book.

Mother with child almost got me and a friend kicked out of the library because he was laughing way too hard when I showed it to him while we were studying.

Max fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
mafia thread, who art's better, me or max

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
i liked parade and I think max captured the practicality of "why is that person on the right trying to look through the flag?"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

PBS Newshour posted:

mafia thread, who art's better, me or max

you should draw a picture of jar jar and it would be a self portrait because your "art" is that of a jar jar circus rear end clown

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Birdstrike posted:

you should draw a picture of jar jar and it would be a self portrait because your "art" is that of a jar jar circus rear end clown

you have no respect for outsider art

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that was actually a banksy, i lied and said it was mine egg on ur face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post