Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrThingyman
Mar 8, 2014
Hey guys. I'm going on vacation next week, so won't be able to check in here. If you guys happen to decide on a representative for the Mafia Championship in that time, they can reach me on Mafia Universe or Discord (Thingyman#6075). I'll then make sure they get the information they need to get prepared :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was just coming here to post that thingyman was looking for an update on who we're sending, but it looks like he's saved me from having to post.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We're sending Merk or Quidnose.

Here's the setup they're using if that changes your mind: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/21906-Season-6-Setup-Mad17

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
That's an interesting setup. It's kind of like a WIFOA.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i'm disappointed we're not sending mafia ace Imgay.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hot Lake Hotel has ended in a victory! I might be biased but I think this was a great read.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Join bk's game, thanks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886385

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pro strat or chump strat: The LumpenList

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Captain Foo posted:

pro strat or chump strat: The LumpenList

Answered here.

merk posted:

How scum would use the list system to their advantage:
  • Lists force players to put forth information that they may not have a strong opinion about :

The list system requires that players comment on every single player in the game, thus resulting in opinions made by players that are not solid in formation and could be skewed to push forth a scum agenda. For example, the fact that I gave no opinion on Crane has been cited against me in relation to where I placed Five on my list. Although I don't remember who did this nor am I say that person is scum, that is an example of a stretched argument by citing something that I believed and something that I just put out there because it was a requirement of the game.

If you look at other player's lists, you can find additional examples.

• Lists allow scum to bus without actually having to bus:

This is probably my worst argument, but I find it to be a good scum hunting tool today in as far as drawing suspicion on WeLandedOnTheMoon!. Scum can put their scum buddies somewhere on the list so when a flip ends up happening the scum can cite their lists as a defense. That is, Five flipped scum; now WeLandedOnTheMoon! is able to say "hey look, I put Five as #2 on my list! I thought he was scum too guys!" Yet, Moon never really pushed a Five lynch nor did he actually vote Five. The only evidence in his favor is the list position.

• Lists make it look like you're giving information when you're really not:

I'm an advocate that scum have to hide in plain sight by putting forth opinions that are false and contrived. That is, scum must put forth opinions to look like they are pushing a town agenda. This system requires it... and when falsely formed scum opinions are mixed with town opinions that town actually don't believe (see point 1), then it's easier for scum to hide.

There are other ways to use this list system to scum's advantage, but I hope you see these three quick points and can think of a few more yourself.

merk fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 10, 2019

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Host that again lump tia

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I mean, there was a vanilla game Lumpen hosted where players could only vote via lumpenlists. The scum won pretty handily, only making it close because psych got bored and doing some weird lylo bus.

Lists are only as good as their player is in that particular context. They are best used in an organizational sense to help other players calibrate their reads and prompt searching questions. Ideally one towny can ask another "why do you think X person is towny" and maybe a discussion leads to uncover an unnoticed scummy behavior.

And at worst, yeah, it's either a lower effort way for scum to pretend to provide content, or else it's something the scum can use to gently caress with a listing towny.

I think what got lumpenlists their original notoriety was the meta he applied to them. Which did lead to a great game when he broke that meta. Beyond that, lumpen's usually high effort, even if aggravating, so you can treat his lists as an organizational summary rather than replacement for effort.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

merk can go, I thought it was starting last week and I'm not on Spring Break anymore

it would have been a thing of beauty though, because i would have been able to mafia 24/7

can you see the trainwreck in your mind

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Quidthulhu posted:

merk can go, I thought it was starting last week and I'm not on Spring Break anymore

it would have been a thing of beauty though, because i would have been able to mafia 24/7

Given what we've heard, it would mean you'd finally be able to keep up with their obnoxious nonsense posting.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
King Burgundy is a loving criminal and scientists have yet to invent a jail that is awful enough for him.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Somberbrero posted:

King Burgundy is a loving criminal and scientists have yet to invent a jail that is awful enough for him.

that’s why god gave us Australia

MrThingyman
Mar 8, 2014

Quidthulhu posted:

You can pick between starting dates from late April to mid June.

Should I note you down as the back-up for merk in case something happens?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am glad the game this time is on real forum software instead of the Two Plus Two Poker 1998 forum.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah the new forum they have is pretty slick. I was impressed by some of the features although I think I like votefinder better than the vote counts they use.

Good luck merk bring home the gold mafia gun or whatever the gently caress their trophy is called.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

:black101:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I mean, you're in this thread now, so

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

MrThingyman posted:

You can pick between starting dates from late April to mid June.

Should I note you down as the back-up for merk in case something happens?

Sure!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Get a zombie to play Mafia.

Because it's dead.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

hello

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Aaaaagggghhhhhhh!!!

:derp:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
We're coming up on two years since the last Survivor, is Grody/Gif Probst/STONE COLD 64 gone? Will someone up take up the mantle of Jeff? I want to do it again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

We're coming up on two years since the last Survivor, is Grody/Gif Probst/STONE COLD 64 gone? Will someone up take up the mantle of Jeff? I want to do it again.
He retired, running Survivor is an administrative nightmare.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PMush Perfect posted:

He retired, running Survivor is an administrative nightmare.

well sure it's a massive amount of work where people are constantly complaining to you and you have to coordinate a number of schedules with no real reward, but also c'mon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thank you for volunteering yourself Somberbrero

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hmm, I could moderate a Survivor game. Would someone want to co-mod with me? I would need some help doing the challenges mostly.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could do that as long as it's doable by mobile

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
i crave survivor

if i can't torture my dearest friends, someone must

addendum: I've been meaning to host Survivor: Catan for years

like i mean no shade whatsoever but an frg would be delightful dessert paperwork compared to these loving things

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dick Bastardly posted:

Aaaaagggghhhhhhh!!!

:derp:

How're you, friend?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I am going to run a mafia game soon (within 3-5 years from now) based on stargate sg-1. So everyone check it out

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Mr. F! posted:

I am going to run a mafia game soon (within 3-5 years from now) based on stargate sg-1. So everyone check it out

I look forward to watching this play out :)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

Add it to the big game queue

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. F! posted:

Feel free to steal images, setup, etc
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776181

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

That was my first game with gaspy.

We brought it home.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was very happy scum won that game, had a lot of fun running it.

Feeling cute, might mod a game later

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If someone is up for giving me balance feedback I have a setup I'd like to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sure, PM it my way and I'll take a look