Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
big game queue was a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

merk posted:

Lumpen made a game where I was the only scum and a “puppet master.” I saw every night action and could give whatever result I wanted. The game was ten players or something and I won.

Wasn't it Atoramos?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Nope, that was just a very similar game.
Seriously, This is the Worst Idea Mafia
Two man scum team (TPS and winvirus) , where they were both godfathers and had access to the moddoc.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That was Pander, who was the zombie master and not actually in the game.

My favourite thing was still the jaguar game ecco did, where Melvin breadcrumbed SCUMHUNTER as VT, and me and I think Fitz and someone else were a 3 person scum team trying to find a 4th, who wound up being dbd who was a suicide bomb and almost immediately killed me and Fitz, taking out 3/4 scum d1

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I thought it was bowmore who was the bomb who didn't know the scum team in the Jaguar game?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that could be, this was like 7 years ago. Now that I think about it maybe it was me, Fitz and dbd and bowmore blew 2 of us up

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh poo poo, there's our gang tags, SCUMHUNTER

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I ran a nightless game of 10 survivors with various irrelevant alignments one time

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Remember Eccos all sk game to decide who makes the new mafia op? I believe the result was the shank 2 thread

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

S✯C✯U✯M✯H✯U✯N✯T✯E✯R✯

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Humalong posted:

C✯U✯M✯H✯U✯N✯T✯E✯R✯

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

C✯U✯M✯H✯U✯N✯T✯E✯R✯

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Mr. Humalong posted:

C✯U✯M✯H✯U✯N✯T✯E✯R✯

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a setup where mafia are daddies and you have to find them to get your cummies

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Snooze Cruise posted:

its a setup where mafia are daddies and you have to find them to get your cummies

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

i cant believe hum said "cumhunter"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

in the spirit of all this ecco appreciation you should all join her game

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this one

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Snooze Cruise posted:

every word of this post makes me want to quit mafia, something awful, and humanity

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

There was an eccogame where merk was a pro-town cult leader who had to be killed before any of the cult recruiters could be killed, but obviously his identity was a secret.

I was scum in that game and for whatever reason every town just believed without question that the cult that said they were pro-town were actually pro-town, so scum didn't have a chance.

Yes, I'm still salty about that one.

That was a fun game.

Also 8/21 players were bad guys

And scum actively chose to not kill the cult and hope the town would turn on us instead of.... killing the cult. (The actual mechanics was merk couldn't be killed unless the rest of the cult was killed, and our identities were al pretty open!)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Speak of Ecco game here is one that happened one time... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658069&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

wow, that game was peak cpig shitposting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh no I left a setup open on the work pc and my business partner saw it and I had to explain mafia :negative:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh no I left a setup open on the work pc and my business partner saw it and I had to explain mafia :negative:

l
m
a
o

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Retro Futurist posted:

That was Pander, who was the zombie master and not actually in the game.

My favourite thing was still the jaguar game ecco did, where Melvin breadcrumbed SCUMHUNTER as VT, and me and I think Fitz and someone else were a 3 person scum team trying to find a 4th, who wound up being dbd who was a suicide bomb and almost immediately killed me and Fitz, taking out 3/4 scum d1

Pander was in the game, it was just he was the Night 0 kill flavor (I cant remember I think it even just said he disappeared)

Every player had a weapon that worked as a vig with a chance of success, and could also break, except CCKeane who was the Strongest Dude so he had the cool Obsidian axe that worked way better

D1 was a hilarious murderfest as people slaughtered each other willy nilly.

Then the zombies started to rise

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dexanth posted:

Pander was in the game, it was just he was the Night 0 kill flavor (I cant remember I think it even just said he disappeared)

Every player had a weapon that worked as a vig with a chance of success, and could also break, except CCKeane who was the Strongest Dude so he had the cool Obsidian axe that worked way better

it was just rock-paper-scissors wasn't it?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Holy poo poo, the entire history of mafia is slowly returning to this thread thanks to coronavirus. What a silver lining!

How you been, Jose, nice to see you!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I'm trying to come up with a somewhat more concrete system for rating game complexity, so that I can give people an accurate idea of what they're signing up for without giving away anything specific about the setup. It's an open-ended scale, not 1-10. This is a work in progress, but something like...

The Xopods Scale

0: Boring
1-2: Traditional
3-4: Simple
5-7: Intermediate
8-10: Advanced
11-15: Weird
16-20: Insane
21+: ABSOLUTE CHAOS

Points are for things like the following. 1 point per item (unless otherwise specified) and only count each item once (unless it says "per each")

• Setup contains nonstandard roles
  • Setup contains roles with modifier words (e.g. Noisy, Weak, etc.)
  • Setup contains roles with a known randomization element (e.g. an action that fails 50% of the time, or that the player knows will target randomly)
  • Setup contains multi-roles (e.g. JOAT or powers that can choose from more than one effect)
  • Setup contains roles which interfere with others' results (e.g. Framer, Godfather, Ninja, etc.)
  • Setup contains roles which interfere with others' targets (2 pts. if the redirection is silent)
  • Setup contains potential for janitored flips or players leaving the game (2 pts. if potentially permanent)
  • Setup is intentionally misleading (e.g. Town Rolecop + Scum Doctor + no non-Scum kill)
  • Setup contains potential for 4+ deaths (including execution) in a single day-night cycle
  • Setup contains day actions
  • Setup contains N0 actions
  • Scum team has special powers/mechanics beyond their individual roles
  • Scum have detailed fakeclaims or knowledge of the setup beyond their own roles/alignments
  • Flavor matters (2 pts. if it's very important)
  • Town is < 50% Vanilla (2 pts. if no-vanilla)
  • Per each third party with normal, non game-ending win conditions (maximum 2 points per faction)
  • Per each "game defining" role (i.e. roles with significant powers, which were custom-designed for the setup and which are unlikely to appear in other games)
  • 3 points if there are potentially game-ending win conditions other than the Town or the Scum (+2 if players aren't warned of this possibility in advance*)
  • 3 points if players' role PMs themselves contain omissions or outright lies (e.g. Cops of unknown sanity, +2 points if players aren't warned of this possibility in advance*)
  • 1-5 points for special global mechanics (e.g. special voting rules, day or night events, actions available to all players, etc., points depending on complexity)

*: I personally wouldn't do these things without warning and don't recommend it, but including the possibility just for completeness.

Does that seem reasonable? Anything obviously absent from the list?

The main thing it doesn't account for is game size. E.g. a 35-player game is likely to end up getting classified as "Weird" or higher even if it's relatively sober by huge game standards. I don't know whether to consider that a bug or a feature, since huge games are in fact more difficult to play on average than small ones, even if they're not expressly intended to be complicated.

By this scale, The Corona Outbreak rates as Advanced (8) and the upcoming 18 Karens: Live, Laugh, L*nch will be Weird. Figure I shouldn't specify an exact number for setups until after they've run, only their category.

xopods fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 25, 2020

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dexanth posted:

Didn't everyone basically call it a failed setup and quit?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shine VII: The Longest Day has ended in a Claim Jumper (SCUM) victory!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Xopods thats a bad way to run tracker imo. I forget when you posted it but I'm pretty sure you tell the tracker who they tracked... That's too strongk.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toalpaz posted:

Xopods thats a bad way to run tracker imo. I forget when you posted it but I'm pretty sure you tell the tracker who they tracked... That's too strongk.

Agreed, always leave the opportunity for redirects to be a thing even if they're not in your game.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

Holy poo poo, the entire history of mafia is slowly returning to this thread thanks to coronavirus. What a silver lining!

How you been, Jose, nice to see you!

I'm good! I have been trying to get Token Female to run a new Harry Potter game for 5+ years now and she's finally doing it, so here I am!

I've also tentatively agreed to play in another game after HP wraps up. Mafia is fun!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Roles with random elements should add 21 points instead of one

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Bastardry is its own thing, the scale conflates it with complexity when that’s not really a fair judgment

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mafia political compass, one scale is honesty and the other is complexity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jump King posted:

Mafia political compass, one scale is honesty and the other is complexity
Where am I?