Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

is that the movie where Tom Cruise repeats his war soldier life a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Quidnose posted:

is that the movie where Tom Cruise repeats his war soldier life a lot

nah that's edge of tomorrow which is actually a great movie!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

uranus posted:

just started elysium and already thinking i may have made a mistake. if you have to put text on the screen to explain whats going on you're doing something wrong

See that's actually the name of the goth club downtown, so I've got a way funnier image in my head than you probably do.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

nah that's edge of tomorrow which is actually a great movie!

it was! it was a ton of fun.

elysium is with brad pitt I think? he has a mech suit and he goes to space which is essentially Rich People Topia.

but I think uranus is talking about a video game?

e: oh maybe not.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

This is like a crazy version of movie telephone.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Elysium is a fine work by a master of subtle filmmaking

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

EccoRaven posted:

it was! it was a ton of fun.

elysium is with brad pitt I think? he has a mech suit and he goes to space which is essentially Rich People Topia.

but I think uranus is talking about a video game?

e: oh maybe not.

Matt Damon, not Brad Pitt, but yeah, you're thinking about the right movie.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't feel comfortable spending money on this website.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's fair.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

I'm so glad that while I'm in the states this week I get to actually be able to watch these videos

the song is poo tho

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

just started elysium and already thinking i may have made a mistake. if you have to put text on the screen to explain whats going on you're doing something wrong

i was wrong it was pretty good, though ham handed at times

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

i was wrong it was pretty good, though ham handed at times

is it? I never got around to watching it but you're a science fiction guy so if you like it I may ask my sister if I can borrow it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i never watched it until now for probabaly the same reasons. its like, ohhhh rich v poor, gee i wonder whats gunna happen. but it was entertaining.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hulk Hogan just got blacklisted from the WWE because of his sextape and him saying the n-word like 100 times

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

imgay posted:

Hulk Hogan just got blacklisted from the WWE because of his sextape and him saying the n-word like 100 times

god DAMMIT merk

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

EccoRaven posted:

god DAMMIT merk

yo don't discuss ongoing games

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
yo yo I do what I want *flips down sunglasses, hits kickstand, drives away on motorcycle*

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

yo yo I do what I want *flips down sunglasses, hits kickstand, drives away on motorcycle*

scooter*

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

no one calls them motor scooters anymore, GRANDPA

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Why bother looking good in clothes when you can look good when you post on the Something Awful PbP Subforum, like resident cool person CCKeane or busb

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 27, 2020

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

110$ to fix major vehicle problems sounds great.

Sorry to hear about scarlett though! I hope she ends up better for it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Working back on a friday. At least I get a free dinner and overtime.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I know!! I really shouldn't complain. but it is still frustrating to have it work fine for months and then out of nowhere ~poot~

I'm currently thinking about buying a keyboard piano, which is kind of like buying the piano version of a scooter. I've never played an instrument, and playing piano sounds like the most relaxing, wonderful thing in the world. I'm sure learning it won't be, but I just need something to do I guess.

This has very little/nothing to do with your post but it was just ratting around in my brain so

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

I'm currently thinking about buying a keyboard piano, which is kind of like buying the piano version of a scooter. I've never played an instrument, and playing piano sounds like the most relaxing, wonderful thing in the world. I'm sure learning it won't be, but I just need something to do I guess.

This has very little/nothing to do with your post but it was just ratting around in my brain so

Make sure you get a piano with weighted keys so if you keep it up you've been learning your early technique on actual weight

Weighted keys are more important than key number

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Make sure you get a piano with weighted keys so if you keep it up you've been learning your early technique on actual weight

the one I'm looking at is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P03P778/

the reviews say it's keys aren't full-weighted but they are somewhat and aren't plastic

I didn't even know keyboards had less than full keys but for the price this 88-key seems pretty good

EccoRaven posted:

my roommate has a keyboard and she very much likes it, though she's been playing piano for decades (the times I manage to hear her play [she's very shy {INTPs :rolleyes:}] have been absolutely magical).

I can check and see which one she has if you like.

that'd be awesome! and if she has any advice about brands that'd be great too, I am a blank slate on this other than google searches and amazon reviews.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

This is the correct opinion.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

Anyway I washed it out and now my hair is super soft. I will try to get a lot of sun today to really bring out the dyes :sun:

You washed out the drool or the dye?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

BottleKnight posted:

the one I'm looking at is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P03P778/

the reviews say it's keys aren't full-weighted but they are somewhat and aren't plastic

I didn't even know keyboards had less than full keys but for the price this 88-key seems pretty good

that'd be awesome! and if she has any advice about brands that'd be great too, I am a blank slate on this other than google searches and amazon reviews.

Semi weighted keys means you can do some stuff with dynamics but you're still gonna lose a lot of subtlety and range with those. My dude is sleeping in the room where by keyboard is so I can't look at the model but it's not terrible for a beginner. Still, since I started school I haven't played my keyboard at all, just the actual pianos at school. It's a whole different feel and I've had to build stamina in my hands and arms.

You said that you think learning might be difficult. My best advice is to skip beginner piano books and learn theory. There are tutorial videos online about piano technique and you can buy or download sheet music anywhere, but the thing that's gonna be crucial in making all of it stick is knowing music theory.

I started playing when I was six and I've never taken lessons. My mom used to buy me piano books for movie scores I liked, like I think I had the Prince of Egypt and Titanic and the Charlie Brown scores. I was never strong at reading music so I'd figure out half the notes from music and half from playing by ear. In high school I got more serious about it and played a bunch of Ben Folds and Tori Amos by ear -- I remember one day where I figured out "Cigarette" note by note for five hours straight. Then I wrote a bunch of songs on the piano and played them over and over, but basically my process for learning was "hmm this interval/chord sounds great together, what if I inverted the chord"

Now I'm taking a basic theory course and I've gotten much stronger without really practicing much more. Understanding key signatures and relative minors has been amazing -- until now I thought I really liked playing in E flat major, but what I didn't understand is that I actually like playing in A flat major and doing smooth transitions into and out of c minor/E flat major. Finally grasping that has made poo poo so fun, it's like I'm finally driving with a road map.

Chord theory and key signatures are incredibly helpful if you're just starting out. Also if you want a single piece of music to learn that's accessible to intermediate/strong beginner level and will grow you SO much to learn, try Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi. I'm learning it by ear right now and listening for the right intervals is so maddeningly fun.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

You washed out the drool or the dye?

Both? *sips martini*

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

Both? *sips martini*

Ecco what is in a martini?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 27, 2020

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

I don't like gin so six-counts of vodka and a splash of dry vermouth and an olive.

I don't like straight vodka either though I was just making an archer reference I think.

So when you were saying "martini" you meant "not a martini"

Gin supremacy.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CCKeane posted:

Gin supremacy.

Yessssssssss

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 27, 2020

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

Gin supremacy.

quoted for truths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Gin fucks me up like nothing else and I really can't drink it anymore.