Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

God, another new thread? Didn't we just have one like two years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

That game made my blood pressure rise about 10 points permanently.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

aahhaaha great.

okay so um.

hm.

man I don't even know. I guess the era of GBS expositionals is officially dead for good.

someone ask little_mac about the banner ad!

It died after GBS 2.0 came online.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

merk posted:

The massive alumni "game" was the worst thing we have done as a community.

No, I think that still goes to Ecco's zombie game or whatever it was. The alumni game at least brought back some nostalgia.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

nah and also that was more an art piece than a game
Well that's great, and I'm glad you posted in it the creative discussion forum instead of presenting it as a game of mafia with typical rul...oh, wait.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

merk posted:

I love being scum. Weasling out of certain death is the best feeling.

I prefer dominations. CYOR big game flawless scum victory :D

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I saw "vegan baby" and my brain exploded for a moment.

Now you're caught up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Podima posted:

:yeah:

Also hello Pander, how was Japan?

Wish I could actually experience it for reals. Stuck on an Air Force Base most of the time in a very remote corner working pretty long days. It's tiring but a lot more rewarding than my last work and I'm learning stuff (exterior electrical distribution system analysis and design). Unfortunately leaves me with too little time to really keep up with fast moving threads like this one. I'm apparently 1000 posts behind since this one, yikes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Can someone link the location map?

Alternatively, any Mafia goons in Portland wanna hang out?

Whatup columbiagoon, I'm on the other side of the river now :chord:

Man. Traveling to japan every month or so really throws a monkey wrench in trying to play mafias.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

chaoslord posted:

To explain this Tobbs, Ecco one ran a game where there were confirmed town masons and one was a scum if I remember the tale correctly

If X is a sacrosanct mafia rule, Ecco ran at least one game ignoring X.

I was scum in a game where the scum had no night kill. We relied on an SK to kill for us, and he got got early on.

Whee.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

If only we had some management system for large games....like, some kind of waiting line...I dunno, just spitballing.

oh my god nothing has changed in four years

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

poo poo post 24/7 and barely play the game, lurk hardcore and check in apologetically and contribute nothing else, earnestly play with the two or three other increasingly frustrated people who are trying to earnestly play.

stateofthemafia.txt

My second game ever was flatluigi's amnesia mafia, where the scumteam won handily by just not posting. It was a scumteam of folks like varinn and snowsomething and fronz(?) who basically didn't really play mafia, and as a result won. It's like talking on your cellphone at OK Corral the entire time, and when the dust clears you're the only one alive so people write ballads about how you won the gunfight.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

to change the topic slightly,

has anyone ever run a game of mafia with this rule or something similar?

*the only thing you may do in a post is vote one person

On its face it seems stupid, but maybe just analyzing vote patterns and how flips go might make it unusually stressful?

Other potential rules to throw in might be limiting the number of votes a person can make at any time and to disallow unvoting (you can only change your vote to someone else after you vote). The former would just help limit "case via spam", and the latter might help make LYLO hilarious: which towny has the guts to put a vote down that could be dogpiled by the scum? And which scum have the guts to dogpile knowing someone may immediately unvote?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

was it just a guy that looked like merk?

None of these folks look like merk, no. None are even close?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Let me be perfectly loving clear about something. The day I get my hand on a loving scumdoc? I'm 100% in charge. D1, I'm going all-tactical, analyzing every single motherfucker in the game, their relationships to one another, every scrap of joke phase because every loving post matters, and my loving PEONS will kneel before me because they'll loving know exactly who they're dealing with because I'll give them a strategy that gets us lynching townies faster than you've ever seen before. No one will question my rule as - hell, it'll be FFX by then - I rise as Sin and destroy whatever bullshit name they gave to the world Yuna was born on (X2 was better - fight me) Instead, HERE WE ARE, once a-loving-gain. The sole solace I take is that I'll grab 7/7 wins easy but I'm not wasting my time loving around with realworld tomorrow's circlejerking.

Joke phase and circlejerking suck. I don't get it. I don't get the comparison of meta reads (except for Asiina) and I don't get the nonsense that comes with it. It's frankly & ultimately screaming obscenities & ya... just gotta put up with it in new games. But I'm not participating in some town slapfight resulting in yet another totally pointless d1 lynch. i don't get why this community is obsessed with slaughtering town as quickly as they possibly can - d1 the odds are just loving against us, we have a majority, and okay, maybe you get lucky and you hit someone you actually wanted to hit? How often has this ever happened? Are there stats? Goons? Surely somebody's done the math. I'm not even reading the rest of this poo poo until actual stuff starts happening other than "white noise" or whatever we call it here. This time I'm just calling attention to that fact rather than just bailing on the first few days of posting and catching up. No loving reason at all to read most of these posts as town!peramene until much later. No offense town!Rarity, godspeed you crazy diamond scum!Rarity.

IS I hope we get to be scum together someday because mama's gonna show you how to loving roll town like a goddamn california roll -- jeez so much for shorter posts, gently caress
Pussy Quipped you have one of the single greatest usernames I've ever seen on the forums and I've seen an awful lot of the greats
Also MMT if you managed to get scum without me be sure not to let me blow you up D1 again <3 DEAD TO RIGHTS

that was the best game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

peramene posted:

I try not to draw too much attention, but you were here, and I was there, and I had just seen you and well - a girl as clever and pretty as you are should have an easy time of things. At least I sincerely wish that for you! Trying not to embarrass you. But. Y'know.

I feel so honored to have my work appreciated. <3<3<3 That very same game, hidden in a bunch of poo poo the wasn't true, (you know how he gets when he knows he's right but he's actually Wrong) Lumpen said I was... hmm, can't quite remember (lol :cloud: haze) but it was something like "most fascinating" new player and it's really touched me. Myst wouldn't have happened without these kind words.

As for "best of 2017," give me a minute - I'm sure I'll be able to obtain John Galt levels of endless blathering that almost no one will read 'ere long.

God, that was a good game, too. I wouldn't have really gotten to know and respect Bif and my goodness, such a small change and how different things might have been.

I can't find it atm, I don't really know how to on mobile and I won't be back for some time -- FF4 was the game that demonstrated to me there was nooooo way I could sustain a lie towards Cat (who I adore), MMT (my bestie), and Lord and Lady, Asiina? Practically pulled her out of Klendu for fear she'd know who was who just because of me. Too many angles. Read the scumdoc - I drop maaad intel before Rarity (I think?) catches me smiling.

There is one correction to Lumpen's response I've been waiting for a moment to correct: I may talk a big game, but when I talk about lying and my addiction to it and blah blah getting to lie again in games -- despite a measure of poo poo-talking and tit-waving (are you not entertained?) -- I'm not an especially GOOD liar except under very specific circumstances. I'm prolific, Lumpen darling. Addicts are rarely choosers.

Regardless, thanks again, I'm so happy to have been so welcomed into such a fantastic community and my goodness what a life-changing experience. Do you hear me, gif Probst? Sorry, sorry, sorry - couldn't resist getting one in.

<3
##vote pera

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Diqnol posted:

Sure, but I don't think you're a good arbiter. Also he's a loving rear end in a top hat.

Pretty much. I'm okay with aggression in games, but nobody on the site goes out of their way to be a caustic pedant as badly as he does. He always seems to end up in any game I join, making it worse.

The only other type of player as bad are the smug jackasses who treat never actually posting on-topic the whole game as some galactic-brain level strategem instead of lazy and game-ruining.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

remember that time lumpen posted pics of his kids and people got mad at him about it for some reason?

Did he do it in the middle of a game as a cynical bid to stave off a lynch?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Paypal is the loving devil.

Paypal emails: your credit card is out of date. Please update or you can't access paypal features!

why it's almost like it's intentional...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Hi play some mafia pander. i'll make a game for you.

Has capitalist pig launched FFVI mafia yet? I was gonna wait on that one.

I'm in a terrible place atm to play, bout to hit the cascades for a week vacation then power through two power distribution studies in as many months.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Lumpen posted:

:siren:Mafia setup idea:siren:
Flavor:
13 players are crewmembers of a spaceship that has been infected with 3 alien parasites that devour the host's brain and puppetmaster the body. The parasites are psychically linked. A parasite can jump to a new host in the night, which kills the former host, leaving an obviously hollowed-out skull.

Mechanic:
Instead of a traditional nightkill, each night the Scum choose a new Town player to infect, but this means one living Scum must leave the game, revealing that they had been infected (for at least one day). There are no blocks, docs, hides, or jails to prevent infection. Town get a Cop, Watcher, Tracker. Lynches are FLIPLESS. Scum win when they control the vote, Town win when every parasite has been lynched.

Caveat: This should always be an open setup, so anyone signing up is prepared for alignment change. I do not know if this setup could ever be fun. I don't know for sure how it would affect effort and motivation for posting, it might just be a dead game since every Townie could win by just patiently waiting for assimilation. Is there a solution for that?

Discuss.
I like it. A slight tweaking here:

(1) The town needs to collect parasite samples to study. They do this by capturing and quarantining an infected (scum), ie voting/lynching.

(2) The lynch target dies, but the parasite jumps to another host (the scum can decide who gets infected). There is no parasite transfer infection (nightkill) when this happens.

(3) Thus, there are always 3 scum.

(4) The town wins when a total of three scum have been lynched. The scum win when they control the vote, with one caveat.

(5) When the scum would win via vote control, the town may get one last chance via CHAOS FLAMETHROWER round if they had lynched exactly 2 scum during the game. If they town had failed to lynch 2 scum, they lose immediately. This happens regardless of how many town players are alive at the moment (should be either 3 or 2).
(5.a) The most recently infected player get immediately revealed and dies via flamethrower. Two scum are left. The hunt is on!
(5.b) Every player must publicly list as many other players that they would kill via flamethrower. This is effectively making a scum list. Players are encouraged to list ALL the players they think are scum, and ONLY players they think are scum.
(5.c) All players will make a list, but after all lists are made, ONLY the town lists are considered afterwards.
(5.d) The names that show up on EVERY town player list are flamethrowered, and die, permanently.
(5.e) If the town members kill all the scum this way while leaving at least one town member alive, the town wins.
(5.f) If even one scum is not killed, the town loses.

Might need to be a 15 player game to provide the town a better shot at 3 lynches.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

also don't make it mafia but a sequel to murder on space ship nu

I never modded a game of mafia before.

Only games of "crazy poo poo happen oh god oh god"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Yeah people say this so much but it isn't a convincing argument if you look closer.

First, the nature of the game gives Scum a strong motivation to lurk if they can get away with it, and this is perfectly fair. So Scum tend to lurk, and lynching a lurker benefots Town by either catching a Scum or reducing the Scums' ability to reap the many benefits of lurking. Every post is evidence, and every votecount tells a tale, there is plenty of information in EVERY lynch, from the process of getting it done. There is so much more than "what we now know from the dead guy's posts". There's no such thing as a "wasted lynch".

A lurker lynch also has the benefit of keeping active posters alive because every non-lurker lynch lynches a non-lurker! If you ask me, that is the greater waste. Active posters who love to keep posting will demonstrate their Towniness or gently caress up and expose their Scuminess in time, and a lurker will just continue to lurk until you have a lovely LYLO where the only living Town are the worst lurkers who were least engaged.

People imagine some ideal situation where they lynch a Scum who posted a lot and left a rich trail of evidence that points right at their Scumbuddies, but that doesn't really happen. Scum lurk, and they leave as little information behind as possible, and they bus and distance and leave behind all kinds of WIFOM anyway. That no-lurk Scum who leaves a lot of info to go on is a unicorn. And it wouldn't even be fun if that happened, really.

Lurking is a legitimate part of the challenge of the game.

As Town, your tools to combat lurking are to not lurk yourself, and to preferentially lynch all lurkers because you rationally understand how that policy helps Town win and helps games be more fun and compelling for everyone.

As Scum, you have a duty to pursue your win condition the best you can, and there is no shame in lurking as much as you can get away with. If that is effective, it's the Town's own dumb fault. Scum's chances of winning depend on poor play from Town players.

It is not the mod's job to dictate how people play the game, or save Town from themselves. The mod makes a balanced setup and then posts accurate flips. Replacement and modkilling or any kind of judgement call by the mod in the middle of the game is a corruption of the gamestate and degrades the quality of the game.
I mean I don't disagree, lurking is a strategic decision sometimes. That doesn't mean it leads to fun games, either.

And there's really no cure for it without disrupting balance or game flow in some way. Replacing players leads to blank slates introduced mid-game that tend to either be given way too much slack or no chance at all to evade a lynch for reasons outside their control.

I like the idea listed earlier: lurker gun.

Give the 3/4 most active players all a proportional chance at a lurker gun each day (more active = higher odds). It can only be used on one of the least active 1/4 of the players, and no closer than 12 hours before deadline.

Encourages scum to post to avoid death. Scum posting results in higher chances of being detected by town, mitigating the inevitable townies getting shot. People getting shot leads to discussion and analysis.

Easier to deploy for larger games than small, for obvious balance reasons.

Only caveat is that mod needs to maintain discretion to ignore spamming for the sole purpose of gaming activity level.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CCKeane posted:

I've said that a lot, probably every game or so I've played for the last couple of years, but I also do think we are getting a bit ridiculous with game expectations; numerous times I've seen people annoyed that somebody didn't post in less than a 24 hour period, and that's just flat out ridiculous. And I know everybody is going to say "oh that's not what I mean" but it kind of is? It's encouraging lazy players to make mock contributions by post cou
nt.

theoretically then you lynch the people making such terrible arguments about postcounts.

busb: I have no chance to play mafia with my current schedule. I'm overloaded in the office, then next week I travel for a week of field work in cape cod, then the week after that I'm teaching a course in electrical modeling in san antonio.

I like mafia but my job is completely incompatible with having the needed free time or brain cells to play.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It’s not sniping to disagree with you, merk. Characterizing it as such doesn’t make you come off as the big man to anyone that matters.

The fundamental solution to all of the nonsense in my game was to not buy into bullshit results and unusual actions and instead make individual reads on players.

The onus was intentionally put upon players to actually play mafia in the face of major obfuscation and *that’s* the effort I was alluding to. We can disagree whether Alasdair could be read in that context (I do feel lurkers can be assessed as a rule) but town didn’t really get into that at all mid to late game anyway, so as far as my view it’s a moot point

Your argument for not modkilling alaster was that "he promised to post more", I thought? Not "it's on the town to deal with him".

He shoulda been modkilled about D3 or D4 to minimize end-game impact. You literally cannot play the game of mafia on the forums if someone refuses to post. It's not a town strategy to to abandon their best weapon to hunt scum (the lynch) for a day, the town should always strive to lynch the scummiest poster, which a player like alaster can't rationally claim to be.

I enjoyed the game, and the town lost because not many of the townies had great reads or the ability to convince others to vote when they did (outside of Chores and maybe SK Kaschei). But I really think you oversold the idea that this was good players bringing their A-game when you let alaster (and to a lesser extent Keane, from D2-D5) do that without any recompense short of the town abandoning scum-hunting in favor of house-cleaning.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

FWIW I've been catching up on Phoenix Wright games (had a bit of hiatus, last one was like Ace Investigator). So probably 1/2 the way through Dual Destinies right now. When I finish I'll probably try to make a big game similar in spirit to the previous few PW games I made.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Monathin posted:

Fuckin' A, Pander, you had me at Ace Attorney. Consider this a presign.

I don't think you were involved in mafia when I used to run them. I'd actually done Ace Attorney, JFA, T&T, AJ, and AAI before.

I need to figure out how to find them in the archives. I think they went well?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Humalong posted:

https://votefinder.org/closed

type Pander into the search box. Easiest way to locate them.

Neat! The first PW game came out before votefinder was introduced though. I found the spreadsheet for it in my googledocs. It was from old GDocs, so probably like early 2010.

Memories...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

haha thanks

Man I loved running those games.

the original PW1 mafia game had TNL torturing Dragnix in MYLO/LYLO. Dragnix melting down *knowing he'd already won as a survivor* was just beautiful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

A game with only scum roleblockers would be pretty refreshing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

mafia is alive and flourishing even without some of the everdunes players. I think its cool how Fisk got some old people into the game again. Made me realize how much of the game was meta reads for me lol.

You aren't kidding. My second game in like 5 years, and I still kinda used meta reads to help me explain why I did things in the game. And I think other players trying to meta me really helped me too.

Avoiding meta is HARD.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I used to get really angry and call other players retarded.

Not proud of that poo poo.

Lot more fun to be chill!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I hate when people call me scum when I'm town, because I know I'm town and therefore they must be scum faking content.

meanwhile I have zero clue why anyone WOULDN'T call me scum when I'm scum, cause I'm obviously a bad scum faking content.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I mean, there was a vanilla game Lumpen hosted where players could only vote via lumpenlists. The scum won pretty handily, only making it close because psych got bored and doing some weird lylo bus.

Lists are only as good as their player is in that particular context. They are best used in an organizational sense to help other players calibrate their reads and prompt searching questions. Ideally one towny can ask another "why do you think X person is towny" and maybe a discussion leads to uncover an unnoticed scummy behavior.

And at worst, yeah, it's either a lower effort way for scum to pretend to provide content, or else it's something the scum can use to gently caress with a listing towny.

I think what got lumpenlists their original notoriety was the meta he applied to them. Which did lead to a great game when he broke that meta. Beyond that, lumpen's usually high effort, even if aggravating, so you can treat his lists as an organizational summary rather than replacement for effort.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Maybe in ~March. I am gearing up to narrate a new audiobook (the sixth volume of the gay detective series I've narrated and ran a game about) which will keep me too busy until then.

Any thoughts about ever doing lumpenlist mafia 2?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dexanth posted:

Pander was in the game, it was just he was the Night 0 kill flavor (I cant remember I think it even just said he disappeared)

Every player had a weapon that worked as a vig with a chance of success, and could also break, except CCKeane who was the Strongest Dude so he had the cool Obsidian axe that worked way better

D1 was a hilarious murderfest as people slaughtered each other willy nilly.

Then the zombies started to rise

Didn't everyone basically call it a failed setup and quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Get blasted again. You forgot, but Blasted Quid will know what to do.

Pawn his gun, throw a shoe through a window, do horrendous karaoke?