Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«41 »
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Guilt is an outmoded concept, the refuge of those who have yet to embrace the fact that their path is the correct one.

I've been enjoying following ongoing Mafia games lately, and I keep seeing references to certain old games that were ridiculous. What are some good/iconic old games to read over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Guilt is an outmoded concept, the refuge of those who have yet to embrace the fact that their path is the correct one.

Power of Pecota posted:

The God of Cookery's on netflix and it's my favorite Stephen Chow thing.

Emerging from lurkerdom to enthusiastically second this. Also Shaolin Soccer is great.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Would this be a bad game for a new player/lurker to try out? mmm caught me in the Awful Survivor vista, so I guess I should give it a shot!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

I love this game and this community but I also hate it and it so much.

What's a way to say "if you hire me you will make a good choice" without sounding dumb? Working on a cover letter for a really great job.

"I believe my skills and experience make me an excellent fit for the position" is generally a good way to go.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Rarity posted:

"I hope to hear from back from you soon because this opportunity is really exciting for me and I believe I can make a difference to your company"

preface: i work in corporate so this is colored by that bias

But this is a little more informal than I would prefer in a cover letter. Remove the "this opportunity... me and" phrase and it's a good way to go as well, but you had better be drat sure you've outlined HOW you can make that theoretical difference.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

I went with "Combined with my lifelong commitment to environmental advocacy, I am an outstanding candidate for this position, and I am excited to have the opportunity to work with you."

thanks!

Good luck!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Asiina posted:

Emoji Mafia, a game which started on Thursday, has ended in a 100% perfect town victory.

Still in shock.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Someone provide a link to funfia please, tia.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Primo Hoagies is unquestionably one of the best mini-chains for sandwiches ever. I'm a fan of the Old Italian. Mmm.

quote:

Old Italian

Dry Cured Capacola, Sharp Provolone & Prosciutto

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Well, Wegmans is the best grocery store I've ever been to and I've traveled a fair deal. It's a wonderful thing to live close to one.

Trader Joe's.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

I mostly use Trader Joe's for specialty items (cheese), I will admit that using it for a normal grocery store is ridiculous.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

no, everytime I play mafia games recently I get voted out and I hate that so I am taking a break.

Didn't you intentionally suicide as a townie with a dayvig on d1 in a recent game? I never understood why you did that

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

mr.capps posted:

facebook is down or something and i really want to complain about indian summer

oh good, it's not just me on both counts.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Quote this post if you want to be in a game where you don't actually post at all and I will post the game results in this thread.

Game will start at 13/when I get back from the grocery store.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

I clearly didn't follow the obvious scum bandwagon on d1

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

I've got a better joke for you than that:

quote:

Poison Mushroom
Sep 30, 2009

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Valkyria Chronicles is also really good.

If you don't have Vyse and Aika on your team at all times, you're a scrub.

Skies of Arcadia rules.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Gamecubes run like 40 bucks nowadays. It's worth it you big babby.

Also someone needs to buy Kashuno an av already, I'm tired of seeing GARBAGE DICK in every game I play. Where's the latest one someone made for him?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I don't want to hate myself every time I post

But then at least you'd feel the same way we all do? :iamafag:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

beardchat! Beards are cool. My beard grows in red-brown too and it's neat. I used to just have a goatee, but I got lazy about shaving and my now-wife liked it better so here we are I guess?!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Sometimes I regret not getting into theater while I was in school, and sometimes I'm thankful that I never did. This is one of the latter times.

Good luck!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

CCKeane posted:

*screams, locks door, barricades door, duct tapes kitchen knife to broom handle and grabs a bat while crowering in corner.*

Please don't post about my morning routine.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

I've been meaning to check out The Genius. Where's the best place to watch it subtitled?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

mr.capps posted:

check the thread in tviv, they is a link to someone's tumblr who sub the stuff

thanks, found it!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

hi mafiadiscussion thread, I'm sitting on the couch in my in-laws' house drinking beer and watching the genius, how are you all?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Rarity posted:

Say goodbye to all your free time for the next week

I'm hoping that my other commitments will keep me distracted - this next week is busy with lots of travel!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

okay i was not expecting the ending to the genius s1e1.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

s1e3 of the genius trip report:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

I have watched 7 episodes of The Genius in the last 36 hours. All I can hear is EXTREME WAYS on endless repeat. This is all your respective faults.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Can confirm temp and contracting agencies are the way to go for data entry.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

TMMadman posted:

I'm awesome at hunting scum.

Kumbamontu posted:

*clears throat*

ahem..

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I'm the only non-self-loather in yospos

Wrong fucko

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

That's the thing, winning the game like we would have was already unimpressive. But then losing to a nearly-fumbled snap pass...

I did watch Mean Girls and Holes today, though, two movies I hadn't seen in a decade, so today wasn't a total loss. They're both still very good! Brought me back.

Holes has been out for over 10 years?! gently caress.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Little Mac posted:

I need a replacement for CYOAlighment. Sadly yours is already chosen but you can still play! It's only day 2.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...40&pagenumber=1

Sorry again for the drop. Someone should take this opportunity to play in an interesting game with many rich and complex puzzles available for the finding! Or something.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Mafia thread it's Friday and tonight will be the first night all week where I literally can do nothing whatsoever

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Little Mac posted:

Everyone please join ecco's game and then never post in it thanks in advance

EccoRaven posted:

I asked for a specific role from LM and he didn't give it to me and instead conscripted me night 1 and I requested a replacement and he said "nay."

For all the complaining you do about the death of SA mafia, even as a relative newcomer to the community your conduct in LM's game was pretty awful, and this is coming from someone who replaced out of it. You came in, made one post to take another player out of the game without making any apparent effort to actually take the game itself into account, and then did nothing else till you were modkilled. How is this conducive to anything constructive?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Like if there was an actual rationale behind it please feel free to set me straight, for I am but a newcomer to SA Mafia and might just not get how things work here!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Quote this post and I'll tell you what onion article you are

(These are likely to be insulting, hopefully in a friendly way)

Click hole is better anyhow

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Also while I have Mostly Quit Drinking this is a good tip for y'all:

If you're at an open bar and you want to get good stuff, one your first visit to the bar tip the bartender a 10 or 20. You'll get nice pours all night and, if you're lucky, some good stock at the end of the evening.

This is a pro tip that I received from my now-father-in-law and have used to great effect at multiple weddings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

I did that at an open bar at one point, and then went back to the same venue months later. The bartender recognized me and immediately poured me another of the same beer I had been drinking the first time.

I mean, I could have been laughably and memorably drunk the first time, but it's still pretty telling.

«41 »