Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SirSamVimes posted:

A lot of people said Elysium was bad, but I liked it even if it didn't match how good District 9 was.

Man District 9 was so good. I want a sequel some day even though it's totally unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

The end of the movie would hook into a sequel very nicely.

Oh it would, for sure, but the movie stands on its own perfectly well.

Also I am now learning that waiting for the end of the night on a game of mafia you're really interested in is agonizing. No wonder people are in multiples of these things at once.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Does participation require me to actually do anything?

If not I'm totally in.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

ALSO instead of random gimmicks if you have a specific gimmick you want to have your character be let me know, this version of the game makes it a lot easier to write a gimmick if it isn't already in the database.

The Lord of H.A.T.S. (High Aerial Technical Stunts)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Asiina posted:

They fly sorta like ladybugs in that they fly a little bit to get from one surface to another but can't seem to really control where they are going that well.

Ugh, ladybugs. Or Asian Ladybeetles, I guess, I feel like it's been a long time since I've seen a proper ladybug. I'm pretty sure there's a bunch in my apartment because that's just a thing that happens in winter in Minnesota, but they've all wound up crawling into the floor heating and can't get out because the way it's shaped, so every night I get to hear a bunch of them rattling around in there.

Still, beats having them flying around (or a moth infestation, that sounds *awful*)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

mr.capps posted:

help me i am obsessed with x wings miniatures arghhah

It is so goddamn good and I have spent too much money on it already but I love my tiny plastic ships.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Boy, that's kind of... really uncomfortable.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Quote this post to be a soldier in my current (just Classic Ironman because I'm rusty as hell) run of X-Com.

Gonna have terrible psychic potential after surviving a long time so you have to trash me aww yeah.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

i will sell my soul for more x wing miniatures

why do i want more ships, don't i have enough ships? i have fun enough with these ones...

...but the ghost from rebels. i can get the ghost from rebels... and i need a y wing... and the x wing expanison for porkins and wedge... and another y wing... and the punishing one for dengar... but i have to get most wanted first so i have some other scum and villiany guys

It is a terrifying affliction. I've reached a point with Magic where my fun with it is mostly draft and I'm indifferent to owning more cards. But the idea of more ships oh god I want more ships. I need Imperial Veterans to come out so I can have the Royal Guard TIE Defender to fly with my other aces, and the TIE Phantom looks really fun to fly too :saddowns:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I had a blast with CAH the first time I played it with friends.

Every time after that has been joyless and calculating. Every card going for shock humor has completely killed my ability to laugh at the game, because it's all entirely predictable after the first go around. The huge number of wordy cards that are kind of funny in and of themselves but completely fail to fit into the prompts at all definitely don't help matters--there's tons of times where someone will just pitch their hand because it's full of cards they'll never be able to use.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

If you're worth more than what they're paying you, aren't you kind of losing out? I mean, to take it to an extreme, if some guy goes above and beyond and generates two million dollars worth of sales for his company and gets paid a grand total of $60,000, he's getting ripped off. The company almost certainly isn't going to look at that and say "Hey, we're really undervaluing this guy, we should reward him well for that effort", they're going to say "Hey, this guy produces profit completely out of proportion to what he costs us, let's do everything we can to keep him on short of actually paying him (because that would cost money). Call him employee of the year and give him a $100 gift card (his end of year review will be "Meets Expectations", with associated 3% raise).

The only way that guy is going to get value proportionate to what he's worth is by demanding it... and the business is going to dig its heels in as hard as they can, unless he proves he's looking elsewhere. At which point they will create a counteroffer that is complete poison even if he takes it, because they're going to be looking for a way to replace him now that they know he's aware of his own value. The only option is to jump ship.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Rarity posted:

If you look at anecdotes of CEOs, Premier League footballers and Hollywood movie stars none of them say "I got to where I am by half assing it until someone gave me a handout"

No, they got there by seizing every scrap of advantage that they could. Employers will give you as little as they think they can get away with, not as much as you're worth. Unless you actively push to be adequately compensated.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm still saving up for the expanded screen, only 40 golden fish to go.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Time for me to eat like a million lynches in future games :getin:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

hats when i was making those posts about how that day action would reveal the scum and how the scum was getting too confident did you thought i was going to reveal you as bad guy

Let me put it this way: I did not stop posting in scumdoc when I was the only scum left. So you'll get to find out my exact reactions to a lot of things.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

I still want to run my three dimensional win condition mafia, but I can only figure out two of the dimensions. Basically Mafia meets Resistance meets ???

Two rooms and a boom?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hey SSV when's Undertalefia going start up, I'm looking forward to watching that one.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I keep getting distracted from writing role PMs by things like Witcher 3 and XCOM 2 :( It'll be SoonTM

It better be! :argh:

Although, I've kind of got my own ideas for a game bouncing around now, so maybe it's not that urgent...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

It better be! :argh:

Although, I've kind of got my own ideas for a game bouncing around now, so maybe it's not that urgent...

I'm already writing the mod doc :negative:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Does anybody want to look over my dumb setup and tell me all the mistakes I've made?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I was away from mafia so long, I forgot that waiting for roles/results is true suffering :negative:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

cool, excited for next Monday!

Get a load of this optimist.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The first one is good because it has me winning.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

I'm an accountant today and I think I found a way for my boss to save a couple hundred dollars a month. Neat.

Good job spotting that, Ecco! But can you see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3aEQuxQEOw is clearly the correct choice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

role PMs for my game are almost done, game starts in less than 1 hour from this post.

Ecco lied, nobody died, Hats was a horrible pedant who sat up waiting and watching for the chance to make this post.

Business as usual.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Meinberg posted:

Soldiers games are fun, make me a leader in one tia

Pretty sure that being leader is the most stressful possible role in Soldiers.

Also, swingy is not the same thing as 'imbalanced'. In The Conquest of Qal, both threads had a pretty even chance of winning. I mean, it wasn't perfectly balanced--I think that Jocasta's improved cop was a larger benefit that Qal's improved item pool and advisor-kill for one--but it definitely could have gone either way. If one thread screws up and loses a queen, then yes, they're behind, but that isn't something that's an inherent advantage that one thread has over the other, because either side could get screwed over. It's like saying that chess is imbalanced because if you lose your queen you're down your queen for the rest of the game.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Aw yeah, was looking forward to this. Still a wait, but it's good to know it's coming.

Hail Jocasta!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I need to buy new pants today. What color should they be?

(Excludes: Yellow, Orange, White)

Purple, so you can be the incredible hulk. Lime green also acceptable.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I know there isn't a formal Mafia queue, but are there a bunch of games lined up right now? I kind of want to try my hand at running one.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

there aren't many games going now, ya'll should go for it.

I'm typing it up right now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

To finish spoiling you all for options for which game you play, come on over to :siren:Netrunner Mafia:siren:*

*Balance not guaranteed

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Hi all, stickup got me watching hockey and I have Eastside Hockey Manager on steam so I decided "Well I might as well do Mafia Hockey."

Picking a semi random team, I have decided to replace Arizona Coyotes with Mumbles Scumhunters. I'm gonna do a random draft to rebuild the league so I can't just look up "Who should I try to sign?"

Quote this post or PM me if you would like to be included, preferably with a position you would like to play.

I know nothing about hockey. I hope I do not get fired in the first season :ohdear:

Put me on defense, coach. The perfect blend of not having slapshots sent at my face and not needing to skate the entire rink.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

How are we second in the conference with poor goaltending and no 30 point scorers :confused:

We've been carried by me taking roughly a million shots that all miss. As a defender.

Seriously, what am I doing, am I just taking an across-the-rink slapshot every time I get a steal or something?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Isn't the next Ecco Soldiers game coming up relatively soon?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Can I get my hockeyman's stats? I want to see what makes me take that many shots as a defense man.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

busb posted:

quote this post to sign up to be a shitter at cricket captain 2017 which i have never played before and list in order whether you like

hitting things
catching things
throwing things

throwing
throwing
throwing
catching
apparently hitting is a thing in this game? idk I would rather catch the ball and throw it back.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hell yeah, Shine time!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Here is all anyone needs to know about professional wrestling:

Roman Reigns sucks

All anyone needs to know about pro wrestling:

1) Watch Lucha Underground
2) CERO MIEDO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Hey for Mafia Hockey folks, here is the first two years of the epilogue. Year 3 keeps running into errors so the save may be :rip: but I'm gonna try to get it going again later this week. My plan is to keep simming until all 25 of the players retire. A couple of old ones so we should be under 25 by year 4, but RF was only like 20 I think so it may take like 12 years to get him to retire.

Anyway years 1 and 2

Epilogue Year 1
Epilogue Year 2

:canada:

Stanley Cup, Norris trophy, 200 GP, 100 pts from Defense, alternate captain for Canada, fan pick for POTY... Now to hope I can make it to retirement without being brutally injured and see what I can parlay a good NHL career into :toot:

Thanks for putting in so much effort, CL, it's been fun to follow.