Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

We also did a fantasy mafia league which Mills ran! And we do the Civilization thing, Asii!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

ecco ruined thread, voted 1, recommend restarting.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

we should do tabletop simulator nights, but not invite capps

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

i missed someone other than me talking about netrunner.

you haven't, let's tabletop simulator netrunner soon, it looks okay

Kleedrac posted:

I haven't played Gone Home or Sunless Sea but I will say that Stanley Parable isn't a game, more of an interactive and extremely boring loving movie - I made it about 20 minutes in before blocking the friend who recommended it and cursing the time wasted pirating the piece of poo poo.

lol

i liked the game, and my favorite part were the achievements and museum ending, something about the surreal commentary that taking the game apart and re-arranging it in a new way could be so pointless and yet so effort intensive

QuoProQuid posted:

Art is anything made with a creative purpose. I would consider everything from the Last Supper to the Wrapped Reichtag, from Citizen Kane to The Stanley Parable to be art.

Whether something is good art or not is a better question imho.

i think most people conflate Capital A Art, with the art form it's presented in, especially in classical studies, leading to this series of bad arguments where everyone is all like

"IT'S NOT ART BECAUSE IT DOESN'T DISSEMINATE AN IDEA"
"BUT IT IS BECAUSE IT TOOK EXPERTISE TO PRODUCE" etc.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Why not just use jinteki.net though? The lag issue has been fixed and I bellieve almost everything has been implemented.

because i only found out about it now :D

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I've never played Netrunner. Sell me on it.

it's a game with a wonderfully macabre sense of humor in the context of mega corporations ruling the world

it's incredibly inclusive in its art of every type of person (shape/color/body modifications)

the community is great and it's constantly updated on a (near?) monthly basis

and the 'foil' system between different classes of cards is ridiculously well balanced.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i am glad that 8bux is closest to being the new heart player

because 8bux is one big heart

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

Real chat: I was dating a girl for a few months, and she introduced me to Pottermore. I took the test and got a result of Slytherin. Also, I shaved off my mutton chops for work. She broke up with me the next week.

Don't be Slytherin or shave your mutton chops, guys!

when i took the pottermore test it let me choose between gryffindor and ravenclaw. i obviously chose ravenclaw because i'm a nerd.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ravenclawpride

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hey guys, at least none of us are gryffindor further cementing that no one actually values courage over everything else

well maybe except dentists

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also what happened to us - we're relying on an external site to give us our buzzfeed hit for today

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

keane no :(

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

a result i've been working on for months on end is 75% confirmed real, next week i find out if that last 25% is going to bite me in the rear end or not

but, on the good chance that it's 'if not', then i've just created a huge loving shortcut in my field and i'm going to ride its gravy train for 2-3 publications within the next 12 months while other labs set up and optimize the same thing to start playing catch up :3:

that's my friday night news. i just finished work. rip my social life.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

when i met asiina in ottawa she said to me 'FINE i won't quit mafia, i'll make mafia quit'

:ohdear:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

HiipFire posted:

I wonder how she would feel about one of the albums on my phone having a erect penis with the name of the album written on it as the album art

i have the no love deep web vinyl edition. no idea why anyone wouldn't have that piece of art.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

this is the best wimbledon final since 2008

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

I believe in the power of the fed

i'm starting to believe the rumor that he's going to retire at the end of this match

he's putting his entire heart into this

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

I hate this prospect and wish there was a better way to both be polite and notify someone you won't be seeing them again. There kind of isn't though.

billion dollar idea: the anti-facebook

a website you can go to see if someone has decided to list you as their un-friend

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

there is actually an app called the Unfriend Finder that does exactly that and it was the absolute worst thing I ever downloaded.

well my idea is different. it's not based on facebook. it's just a website you go to to see who has listed you as their enemy and you build a network of enemies. if you're lucky, you'll have a smaller network on anti-facebook than on facebook.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

Quote this post and I will tell you which picture of my cats represents you.

subtle!!!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What's the community consensus on sk and scum killing each other as the only two players in the game. stalemate?

ask yourself this: what would happen if it happened during n1? would both kills resolve? or does one have a kill order? and then stick to it for the rest of your modding career.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i finally saw john butler trio live! last time the stage crashed on Cheap Trick a day before and the concert was canceled. :3:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

About to meet pmom. Anyone want me to deliver a message? Asiina?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I met a cactus that seemed reasonable at first, but it turns out he was kind of a prick.

:(

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

I don't actually have a top 5 ever because movies can't be read objectively even by the same person twice. It largely depends on moods/what's important to you in life.

For example jaws was a loving masterpiece but I wouldn't put it anywhere near my top 100.

Short term 12, one two three, Harold and maude, the lady from Shanghai, do the right thing would all probably be the 5 movies that I consider my absolute favorites right now and ironically jaws is probably a better movie than all 5 of those put together.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also pmom and i had a cool hang-out and we saw chvrches debut a song that is now going viral on social media, so :D

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Look Under The Rock posted:

I really had to think hard about bumping one of those off the list because Gravity has had such a huge impact on me since I saw it

why?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

bowmore posted:

I could easily name 25 movies I'll always love

i could name one movie you will always love, bowmore

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

it's beside your post text

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Look Under The Rock posted:

I badly, badly want to go to space.

Like I applied to be a part of Mars One even though I lacked any necessary skills to be a part of a team. I actually make a concerted effort to not think about space travel because a lot of the time it will just make me feel horribly depressed that I probably won't ever get to go to space.

If I tell this to people, most of them get all condescending like "oh you never know, space tourism is gonna be a thing, you might be able to go when you're like sixty" or something to that effect and they just don't get it, I don't wanna just leave the atmosphere and check out some stars for twenty minutes and come back, I straight up want to go live on a space station for a while or work on a planetary exploration team or something like that.

When I saw Gravity for the first time I saw it in the theatre twice in one day. I cried like a baby both times. I left that movie maybe with the sort of experience Ecco had with Fury Road, that I'd been waiting my entire life to see a movie like this. The visuals are just so captivating, I know the science is off and the story is weak and I totally don't care. I just love the gorgeous expanse of it, it's even cool on a small screen. I've seen it like eight or ten times now and that shot where the Chinese space station debris is burning up during her re-entry still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

I just can't think of another movie that has such a strongly positive visceral effect on me. It's not the best sci-fi movie ever and I'm fully aware that it's fatally flawed but I don't care because that movie just gets me.

oh please don't be depressed about not going to space!! as someone (me) who wants to do scientific experimentation for space travel in the next ~10 years, keep in mind all the horrific things we'll have to endure. inter-generational expeditions, people never knowing anything but the inside of a space-ship, new diseases, learning the true depths of our inability to get anything right. all for the chance to escape. i always think of it like living in the 1400s and crossing the atlantic. not pleasant for anyone. and at the end of the day here we are and we ... speak, think and laugh in much the same way we always have and we haven't gained much, much from it.

gravity is a great movie and it's spurned a lot of movie technical improvements to get its sound right, and it motivated studios to invest in other space movies like interstellar which in turn gave us the chance to explore some really cool mathematical models for gravitational lensing! but i think it's worth it keeping in mind how conceited the movie was, and that you're in love with space and not the movie. and to those ends, i highly doubt that you'd be out of place with any skill-sets you might have to volunteer at an observatory, or do amateur backyard telescope star-gazing to help find stray comets that we simply don't have the human-power necessary to map all of them that are coming towards us, or to participate in the numerous health/clinical studies for space food and medication, or to host space education night classes at your local community college to increase public interest etc.

also later this year no man's sky the video game is coming out and i fully plan to pretend i'm a space biologist and blog about discovering new species for a few weeks non-stop. :P
you should try that, i guess you'll find it'll be cathartic much in the same way i will

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 18, 2015

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ecco is basically a poor man's tremendous taste at this point :(

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

No, it's a real opinion people have, not things 14 year olds say to be edgy.

i didn't say that the opinion isn't real, more like the opinion is particularly charged

the 'album format is dead' argument really holds up by what you consider 'success' is. if you define success as 'what's constantly shared on social media' or 'which resonates with artist popularity more the single or the album' then gently caress yeah it's dead. if you define it by literally any other metric it's still alive. super artists still hit sales records for albums, streaming services still see full albums played through at an unchanging constant rate, and vinyl is having a resurgence: one of the mediums that is least single-friendly. and even among the super popular artists who are contractually driven to re-affirm this bad culture of singles on the radio, few get their style through at an album length; for example florence and the machine and lady gaga and eminem and and and.

also, i find it socially/economically careless when people regurgitate this argument, because it's a top-down approach to music, where the upper crust of society, those who could afford to buy into apple's ecosystem early on, dictated what's popular; as opposed to a bottom-up approach where people dissect albums at their own leisure and then vote to get what they're interested in on a radio station's playlist

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also lockah and algiers have great releases this july :3:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I define life by presence of homeostatis, organization, metabolism, growth, adaption, reproduction, and response to stimuli, Ernest.

that explains why YOU'RE DEAD TO ME!!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I'm not going to reproduce with you Ernie, please stop asking!

it was your lack of 'growth' that caused our lack of 'reproduction', keane! don't play it off as anything else!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hey kumba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvdqk-jnqQc

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

anyone around for a setup question? i have a sort of academic question about a setup i'm working on

shoot

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

I just cleared almost 17 gigs out of my recycle bin.

hmm

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i like the pharmaceutical industry :(

last year someone i work with came out with a mathematical model to auto-generate drugs and they generated 10,000 ones

the pharma companies my coworker reached out to had already tested 7000 (!!) of them.

if you understand how complicated that is, you'd know why it's absolutely wonderful that the pharma industry exists.

it's just awful that fitting into capitalism forces the industry to lobby stupidly and ask for unnecessary rights: the system is broken and forces the motivation to be broken. the people in it are useful and nice i swear. :(

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I pretty much agree with that entirely, and I do think that the mental health side of the industry sees the most egregious examples of shady behaviors (direct to consumer marketing is absurd)

unfortunately the medical side of any field tangentially related to mental health is rotten from the bottom up. we need to start with the change on a social level to stop stigmatizing and complicating mental health understanding. obama's brain initiative is a step. we'll improve. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

what do you think of bill burr, keane?

i saw a set of his today and he was incredibly transphobic and sexist. he kept making jokes about how people who are criticizing him are entitled. he was funny away from those jokes but quite a few people heckled him today. one even said 'It's SHE' when he was making fun of Caitlyn Jenner and another immediately followed up with 'it's SHE and this is ottawa' (i.e. we're quite socially progressive) and i half agreed with them and i don't know what to think.