Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Thank you Santa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ixtlilton posted:

You're welcome! I'm sorry that the little dude's axe came off, I thought those guys would make nice miniatures for boardgames. Also charger cords are always useful, so I hope you liked everything.

Yup, good stuff! :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So just came back from seeing Arrival, who had mentioned it? Because it's fantastic and I'd love to talk about it, PM me if you like.

Me! I'll bring it up next time I see you in discord.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Li Dawny posted:

I have no pictures because I'm not home, but I think BK has won secret Santa. We received a box with four Mickey Mouse ear hats, an autograph book, and four tickets to Disney for us to take the kids.

Awesome!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Merry Christmas!

Also precheck is totally worth it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Super cool!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's a great hoodie picture. I've had a wonderful Christmas with my in-laws. I'm very pleased to have found people to call family here.

My wonderful New Mexican Santee gave me a series of wonderful things, which I in no way expected making it all the more special.

The whole mystery package

And then the stuff! A lovely book on NM's balloons plus post card; a charming ceramic hot air balloon; fantastic tasting (yes I immediately had some) roasted jalapeños that I will never find here so hooray!; not 1 but 2 adorable drawings on Important Life Matters by a great talent; and a beautiful edition of His Dark Materials.

Details on the drawings:

And the rest:

I'm really pleased about the whole thing. The Ballooning stuff is something I only tangentially knew about and the book is great. His Dark Materials is wonderfully chosen and I have no idea how you knew I was planning on reading it sometime this year though it'd be annoying to have to find a copy in France (I had started it when younger but for some reason it never grabbed me and I really want to retry it). As for jalapeños, I will never say no to that. EVER. So a big thank you to you.

Yay! Glad you liked it!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, I wish it was a wakeup call for them, but I don't think that's the case. They were shocked, when their performance was poor enough it was starting to threaten my position.

Thanks for the advice, that was poignant. And thanks to Mafia for giving me the skills to handle conflict gracefully :v:

As a side note here, it helps if you lay the groundwork when possible. Theoretically anyone with consistent bad performance should be well aware that they have that and are on the way to being fired if they don't shape up long before it happens. You can't always do that, especially if it was something sudden, but where possible it's good for both you and them.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

They can't have super common mammals running around everywhere like that because of all the killer creatures there.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Poque posted:

I do not remember this

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

Mafia bad.

Here is every mafia game these days:

2-3 people who actually try + 7-15 people who do not give a poo poo and make contentless votes + a bastard setup that means even if you decide to put in the effort to actually play it was never in your hands anyway because the mod is lying.

I honestly don't know which of these is causing the others. Are people not trying because there's no point since you're just playing loving calvinball with the rules and how can you actually logic anything out when you don't even know what you're playing? Or are mods trying to get creative with setups in a desperate attempt to engage a playerbase that refuses to participate in the process?

It's probably both, I don't know, but I'm real sick of it and want it to be better but don't know how.

I'm pretty sure it's the second one if anything. People continue to sign up for games it is very apparent they have no interest in playing.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Dugong posted:

How do non-Americans manage to keep active in games? Most posts are made when im asleep. it feels pretty flat to reply to posts and often the conversations have been resolved. Conversely it's not really possible to make conversation if no one is around

Respond as you catch up. There are a few people who do that, including me sometimes. Even if the conversation has moved on, it puts your thoughts on the record for things that happened.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bunch of mafia grandparents sitting on a porch in their rocking chairs talking about how the old days were better.

The only actual problem right now is that Kashuno's game with cool anti lurking mechanics hasn't filled yet! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809823

FL should add win/loss stats to votefinder. :)

I appreciate the shout outs. :glomp:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

http://nypost.com/2017/02/22/icelands-president-clarifies-threat-to-ban-pineapple-pizza/

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina was my first mafia mod, battleship mafia, I have not outlasted her yet.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

Wait, is that true?

That was my first mod game. That's crazy I always think of you being around longer than me.

Yup! I'd just played Survivor and then did that.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Podima posted:

Go forth and List, Lumpen. I believe in you!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

Yes, but to also generate a lot of content, Drop a Gun and it belongs to whoever can ##grab gun first. Announce in the OP that this will happen sometime in D1 and it will encourage people to watch the thread and participate. It will also give an incentive for everyone to think about who they would shoot, and to demonstrate that they should not be shot.

For even more content generation, have the gun drop empty (either it is known to be empty when dropped or it can go "click" when a ##kill attempt is made...), and then ~12 hours later Drop a Bullet and it belongs to whoever can ##grab bullet first. Then the gun holder and bullet holder must negotiate who gives which to whom.

This all requires a really active mod who will watch the thread closely for the ## commands, or else you risk bogging down the game while people wait for day action results.

This is cool.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

TMMadman posted:

Spider-man owns.

Yup.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

kb how does it feel to be the best mafia player of all time?

remember that stretch of time where we were scum together a lot?

What is bringing this on? I appreciate the flattery. :)

Yes, good stuff!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

FYI,

I'll be in Seattle for a SQL conference end of Oct/Beginning of Nov if anyone in the area wants to grab a lunch or dinner or something. I'll say something again when it gets close.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

kumba posted:

I've been to a SQL saturday before but never to PASS. Have you been before? How is it?

Summit is great! I only manage it every couple of years, but it is very worthwhile for a variety of reasons.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Allen Wren posted:

gently caress, I'm getting old. I'm squinting and I still can't see what some of those things are.

And you can't hover over them to see what they're supposed to be

This.

Ixtlilton posted:

Hello thread. I just wanted to say that I am alive. I'm in a really bad mental spot right now and my step father assaulted me a couple nights ago but I will be okay.

:glomp:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hello hello. I hope all has been well since my Irish Goodbye. I took a break to study for my teacher's exam, which I passed and now I'm a week in of being a bonafide English teacher in France. I still can't believe they're entrusting children's education to me, since I don't know what I should be doing, not really sure what the exam was supposed to be preparing me for...

Anyway, life is going well even if I'm super busy. I'd love to play a small game and be yelled at for being dumb and terrible. Anything recruiting?

Congrats!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mordiceius posted:

While lurking is an issue, there are two assumptions people make that need to stop as well:

1 - They are lurking, therefore they are scum.
2 - They are posting a ton, therefore they are town.

Anecdotally, scum are more likely to lurk then town. Do town also lurk? Sure. Just not as much.

As such I'll always assume lurkers are scummier than not. Doesn't always prove out, but it is better than the alternative, which has happened WAY too often, of scum lurking to a win.

Like it's been so bad lately, that Taste of all people who hates my position on this, said he was reevaluating his position in light of a recent game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

Anti-lurking rule: Scum may only nightkill people with fewer posts than the average postcount of the living Scum.

This gives an incentive to Scum to post and pressure their buddies to post, and it gives an incentive to Town to post to keep themselves protected, and it promotes nightkilling lurkers, and it generates evidence to speculate about.

Also, this is awesome.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Based on flips KB didn't win regardless of setup :P

rofl

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

IllegallySober posted:

Totally agreed with this line of thinking. Once hurt feelings start getting into the mix it just makes for a really uncomfortable game all-around and I'd much prefer to assume this feelings are genuine rather than faked.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Do people prefer discord to sheets for scum/mason docs?

Yes Discord. But always put an initial pin'd message at the start of every mafia game related discord chat for easy access to read from the beginning.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'll be in Seattle for a bit soon. Feel free to send me a PM if you are in the area and want to meet up for a lunch or dinner or something.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I would but you sent me glitter last time and it got on everything!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Retro Futurist posted:

Hardhat Spider-Woman

Someone please make this happen.

Welcome back!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mordiceius posted:

Let’s talk about an age old problem: lurkers. What do you all think is the best way to deal with them?

Lurker guns are one of my favorite mechanics.

Free cuddles without ending the day on anyone flagged by the threads lurker rules is also good. I just find that sometimes those rules are too slow to trigger/too easy to game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Little Mac posted:

I have a setup with a time travel mechanic that I've been sitting on for a few years. The theme is... completely ridiculous.

I'm ready.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

chaoslord posted:

And that will conclude the initial draw.

Six remaining teams: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay, Morocco, Iran, and Denmark.

I suspect there will not be any more takers, but this is now the post to quote if you'd like to be drawn one of those teams.

Ok.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Dancer posted:

Question how many of you peeps also play board games?

I've been pondering for a while to run a Survivor style thing, where most of the challenges would be board game related.

This sounds cool.

TMMadman posted:

I still need some people to sign up for Scooby Doo 2 Mafia!

Here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868655

Also this.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Retro Futurist posted:

Eh good enough

:sassargh: SA Mafia Secret Santa :tfrxmas:

Rules:
-No minimum or maximum but try and be reasonable in either direction
-Make sure you get your SA name in your profile somewhere so people know who the hell you are
-don’t be an rear end in a top hat. Why would you sign up and then not send anything? Madness!

I don't want to wish list things, since it is not as fun for me, so just putting this here for reference from an earlier one as it still applies:

quote:

For my part, don't send me bugs. I probably won't appreciate a straight up gag gift like that as I'll be sad as I kill them all. Also not really into physical media for the most part unless there is something special about it as e-books, mp3s, etc are far easier to move around and store. Other than that, I imagine I'll be happy with whatever. Choose your own level of effort/time/money spend: Draw/make me something, board game you think I don't have, steam gift, cool painting/print, graphic novel, whatever. Subject matter wise, I pretty much like anything sci fi/fantasy/comic/nerd and I have an appreciation for foreign things.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I want to talk Mafia theory:

As scum I find it most optimal to play to ruthlessly. Remove ideas, remove threats, control the conversation. Only I get caught because I act like a cartoon villain and general idiot.

The PbP nature of our system means that things stagnate though.

Poach the high cost players and then the game slows down. Less effort.

What are your thoughts for scum playing to the spirit of the game over playing to wincon for enjoyment.

I feel like I've had the play to your wincon dissonance over total enjoyment on a number of scum teams.

I feel like we all have different strategies for winning, enjoying, w.e. I find it pretty interesting.

Hypothetical: role scum in a small to mid sized game, you have 1 or 2 teammates and town is low powered. Mostly vanilla for balance. What's your approach to victory?

I think smartest play is obviously to play ruthlessly. But I don't play to win at that level for the first few days generally. I try to take out people for the betterment of the game first, before obvious priorities like power roles or framing someone or the like become more important kills.

And although it is probably a smart move for scum, I'll never focus on taking out high post players just because they are after me or to slow down the thread.

Arguably, that means I'm not quite playing to my win con, but games are funner if people are playing, no matter if I win or lose.

Having said that, I'm on a team, and I'll cave to what other members of the team think a lot of the time, even after offering suggestions based on the above.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

busb posted:

no because you're a abandoner and are too busy coaching danish espoerts teams to be still bad

I need someone to bounce ideas off and help comod i dunno if i can cope with doing it all solo again, but i'd rather someone that is interested in playing it play it.

If this is Hogwarts, I can help. I don't need to win again. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

King Burgundy is a loving criminal and scientists have yet to invent a jail that is awful enough for him.

:black101: