Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

There is no truth beyond magic.

Plaster Town Cop

Speaking of anime, have we ever had a Death Note Mafia? I can imagine some really interesting mechanics there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

ljtrigirl posted:

Oh, yeah. Lumpen.
Glad to see you joined!

And guys... remember this?

merk posted:

A Real Conversation:

Lumpen: "hold on, Merk is the world's mafia champion. Literally."

Woman: "you mean you played in the POG 2+2 world mafia tournament?"

Merk: *stares*
"Woman" = ljtrigirl

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

EccoRaven posted:

hey lumpen what is your relation to ljtrigirl if she went with you to chicago? since you live in korea? but she's in your gaming group?
I moved back to Indianapolis from Korea in 2012. In 2013 I started going to a local boardgaming meetup on Tuesday nights. The guy who hosts it was so impressed with my Game of Thrones Board Game prowess that he introduced me to his sister and I immediately married her and we created a baby, the Golden Newbie foretold in the prophecy. Now you are up to date on my life.

Last year, ljtrigirl also started showing up at that meetup. She's the other Werewolf/Avalon fanatic of the group. Merk is sometimes in Indy for work and has come to the game night 3 or 4 times. The last time he was there, his world champion of mafia status came up in the course of an Avalon game and she asked where we play online, so I invited her to join our lovely community. She's cool. Don't underestimate her deviousness.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

ecco's game just needs 3 more to start.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

Lumpen is a very normal person.
Merk, please don't break kayfabe.

I, Lumpen, am an advanced black budget research project to create the ultimate enhanced interrogation technique through weaponizing Mafia skill. Opposing me in Mafia is more unpleasant than waterboarding, and I get results.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

You know who would be a pretty good president? That guy Rand Paul. I think a non-interventionist foreign policy, a comprehensive reform of the racist criminal justice system, an end of the war on drugs, ending corporate subsidies and bailouts, and balancing the budget would be pretty nice. I think ending all that NSA domestic spying seems reasonable too.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tremendous Taste posted:

Google Rand Paul

That's a good idea. I think I will Google Rand Paul. It seems like the press coverage has been dismissive, but maybe if I investigate further I will get a better sense of what he stands for, and I might Stand with Rand on a lot of issues.

Edit: wow did you know he filibustered for an unbelievable amount of time to speak out against the domestic use of military drones, and also against the Patriot Act and warrantless mass surveillance of Americans' communications? Pretty impressive.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

I'm excited that Bernerd Saunders will give free college diplomas to every American, raise the minimum wage to $19.95, and require all food to be made with fresh local organic ingredients. He is a very grand wizard indeed.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

You know, I think in our modern age we are advanced enough to end all taxation, and instead fund all government programs voluntarily with Kickstarter. Now that would be true democracy!

I bet Planned Parenthood would get easily funded, while things like foreign military intervention, bailouts of big banks, militarising police forces, and domestic NSA spying wouldn't do so well. If people don't care about something enough to choose to pay for it with their own money, it probably shouldn't get done with other people's money (or putting everyone in debt) either.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Magnus Gallant posted:

If I'm thinking of the right guy he's racist
You may want to look into it and reconsider.

He visited Ferguson and has been speaking at historically black colleges to reach out to an audience that other Republicans dont seem to care about.

This op-ed in Time indicates he shares the same concerns with #BlackLivesMatter.

He also has teaming up with Cory Booker and other democrats for criminal justice reform, such as authoring the REDEEM Act. He says, "The War on Drugs has had a disproportional affect on minorities and our inner cities. Our current system is broken and has trapped tens of thousands of young men and women in a cycle of poverty and incarceration," Sen. Paul said.

I think the criminal justice system and police in this country are horribly racist, and these policy meaures will make a positive difference.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Magnus Gallant posted:

Everyone should listen to lumpens audiobook. It's hilarious and awesome
Aww thanks for the plug.
I currently have 7 titles available on Audible.

I pledge to voluntarily donate 50% of my royalties for the month of August to Planned Parenthood just to carespite my dear friend LUTR.
In addition, if you buy through smile.amazon.com, you can designate a charity of your choice to receive an additional donation. I use that for all of my own Amazon purchases.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Rarity posted:

Keane, entertain yourself by swapping the P and O keys on your coworkers' keyboards
Poopopnax

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

I just realized I have been spelling Opopanax wrong the whole time I think. As oppoponax? No that doesn't look right either. Never mind.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

If I were a property owner I wouldn't rent to someone with a record either, if I had other applicants willing to pay the same money. If I were a renter, I would hope my landlord would have that sort of policy regarding who the neighboring units get rented to.

In actuality I am a homeowner in a lovely neighborhood of Indianapolis with meth deals going down on the porches of three different houses across the street on just my block on a constant basis, screaming fights down the street in the middle of most nights, and my bike got stolen from my garage within 15 minutes when I briefly forgot to close the door. The house right next to mine was abandoned a year and a half ago and is now partially decayed with the roof falling off, and crackheads keep breaking into it as well as squatting in the detached garage.

My house itself is nice though, and the upside is that we spend more on groceries than the mortgage each month.

In conclusion, Magnus please buy the house next to me. You can probably afford it.

Lumpen fucked around with this message at Aug 19, 2015 around 17:27

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Byers2142 posted:

I demand you make a LumpenList of your neighbors, now.
  • Quiet next door neighbors who never interact but regularly mow.
  • Nice disabled lady who asks about my kids
  • Pair of mid 20s hipsters who have a guitar and a hybrid
  • "Patty" Gossipy middle aged lady who wears too-revealing clothes and is only drunk sometimes. Keeps yard nice and shares garden tools.
  • "Pierre" Old guy whose daughter robbed him of all valuables to sell for drugs, kicked her out then let her and her boyfriend return and live on front porch, now site of frequent shady dealings during the day. Two nights ago this house had 6 cop cars, 2 firetrucks, and an ambulance there at 10 pm, police report says someone was DOA. Might have been ol' Pierre. Appeared to have a house party the next night.
  • Directly across street, always-shirtless methman "Todd" who drinks one case per day of natty ice and the fat woman "Big Momma" who lives with him who never wears shoes, with mysterious young adults coming and going around their porch all the time and sometimes being loudly chased away being called "crackwhore!" Frequent bonfires in yard.
  • The house with all the screaming and fighting late at night about who is actually a bitch and whose man don't want you. And also get the gently caress out of here, no you get the gently caress out of here.
  • Duplex with blacked out windows that always has a huge dude standing guard on the porch all the time and random raggedy people constantly going in and coming out to lurch down the street. Frequent loud cars bumping bass outside at night. Feel sorry for the kids sometimes seen here.
  • Abandoned house right next door, falling apart, overgrown jungle yard, spawns trash and brown bags with small empty alcohol bottles, had been boarded up now but still probably full of squatting crackhead murderhobos.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Magnus Gallant posted:

I would love to do that haha. I thought you were down in Florida? At least you're not down there anymore
We were just in Florida for 3 months last year for a special work project my wife was on. We lived in a nice apartment there with a very nice little-used pool, right on an inlet that I could kayak (included) out to the ocean through. All the cars around were shiny luxury sports cars. All the people around were rich and very very old. It was Florida.

It was cool of RollsRoyce to send us down there for a while, but I prefer where I live now, to be honest!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Look Under The Rock posted:

Y'all, after getting the emotional poo poo kicked out of me over the couple months following my leaving the theatre I used to work with, the biggest audition of my life just fell into my lap. I have six hours before meeting the director and I'm flipping out a little.

It's a cold read, kind of, but they sent me the script in advance, so I can check out the basic tone. I also need to write up my theatre resume, which is something I've never done before (because I've pretty much always auditioned for people who have done a dozen plays with me already).

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

You can do it! Exude confidence!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

EccoRaven posted:

Thirty-Three.

Also I just discovered the Berenst*in Bears Problem and it is amusing me greatly.

https://www.avclub.com/article/how-...oof-para-223615

I welcome my fellow e-universe brethren with open arms.
The only "a" person I've even met was my 6 year old stepdaughter.

I've been a loving know-it-all pedant since I was a wee tyke and I sure as gently caress would have been correcting people left and right for saying "steen" if it had been "stain". I said "steen", the books on tape and cartoon said "steen", my parents said "steen". It was written "stein".

I absolutely read "The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree" to my daughter last year and thought idly "Huh, weird, I wonder why the spelling was changed since I was a kid", even before I saw the alternate reality theory thing (last December).

It is seriously weird.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Prisons don't work and are a huge waste of resources and cost to taxpayers. There should be no death penalty and in fact no prisons.

Crime should be punished with wergeld paid by the offender to give restitution to victims or their designated inheritors. Repeat offenders, nonpayers of wergeld, and murderers should be declared outlaws (stripped of legal protection and citizenship) and exiled (preferably to an ungoverned offworld penal colony, but airdropping them, passportless, using parachutes, into Somalia or Syria or whatever, works too).

A similar system worked well in Iceland for over 300 years.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Magnus Gallant posted:

It would be super scary living in outlaw land.
On the other hand, it would give criminals a chance for a fresh start, free to build their own enclaves without being a problem to law abiding society anymore. Australia didn't turn out so bad (except for the Aborigines). "Bombing" enemy countries with our worst criminals, unleashed, would deter nations from messing with 'Murica.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

QuoProQuid posted:

I know several libertarians that get inexplicably misty-eyed talking about medieval Iceland. It seems like a weird locale to idolize. I don't understand the appeal of it or your "ideal society." Penal colonies seem gross and barbaric.
They probably all read the paper from that link I posted. The appeal is that it is one of the few examples in history of a legal system working fairly well without centralized government authority, an idea that is usually dismissed as "impossible". Libertarians are so often told that their ideas are impractical or utopian or dystopian that a real world example with empirical data is very exciting.

It's a really interesting link even if you somehow love America's current racist nightmarish prison industrial complex of for-profit slave labor prisons.

Exile might be harsh but Americas prisons are extremely gross and barbaric.

Lumpen fucked around with this message at Aug 22, 2015 around 19:51

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Deep down Keane is a libertarian himself but he can't accept it, he lashes out because he's a self-hating closet freedomcraver.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

When I was in 5th grade I read Ursula K. LeGuin's "A Wizard ok Earthsea" and had to guess about how to pronounce archipelago because I had never heard it said.
For the next 15 years I said archa-puh-LAY-go until someone had the nerve to correct me.

I also paid too little attention to letter order in a few words which led me to pronounce detritus as "duh-TEER-ious" for a while, and thought Baphomet was Bap-mo-fet until that new statue was unveiled and I looked closer at the spelling.

Ok that's my confession.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

13 player games with open or at least limited-possibility setups comprised of well-understood roles, detailed in the OP, are the most satisfying and strategic.

The game of Mafia is a finely crafted mechanism. It is like Chess, in that amazing subtlety arises from apparent simplicity. Chess is not better if pawns are replaced by "Laser Ninjas" with new convoluted abilities.

When there are vague special snowflake roles and abilities floating around that could do anything and interact in unpredictable ways, it makes discussion and even night action targeting start to revolve around WIFOM'ing the Mod rather than the Players.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Someone tell me an awesome book to read.

I recently finished
  • Life of Pi (mediocre)
  • Moby Dick (great)
  • The Martian by Andy Weir (good)
  • Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom (great)
  • The Gulag Archipelago (great)
  • The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero about the making of The Room (good)
  • Valis by PK Dick (good)

What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
Mine are:
  • Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
  • The Fall by Camus
  • Lolita by Nabokov
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

I think Valis was my last unread PKD although I do also have "The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick" to dig through.

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, if you enjoy Nabokov and haven't read Pale Fire, you should read Pale Fire.
This I will do.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I enjoy existentialism myself (the fall is great), check out "blindness" by Jose saramago. It's a great book about how an epidemic of blindness affects the world. Also check out Amerika by Franza Kafka, a book that is as funny as it is wrong. He wrote it without ever stepping foot on American soil and many facts are wrong. It isn't complete as he never finished it but it's still a great story.
I will read these two too.

Dugong posted:

You should read Joyland by Stephen King
yes, ok

Nearly all the other mentioned books I have already read!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

CapitalistPig posted:

Fantasy I'm p sure

Ok heres the infodump

There is a magic user of some kind

He has a mirror that shows him whatever his hearts desire is or some poo poo.

It hasnt shown him anything in a super long time and one day some girl appears in it.

He looks for girl.

He lives in a castle made of ice or glass or something like that.
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls is a pretty good book, but unrelated.

Could it be a really distorted memory of "The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass" (1997)
by Stephen King or "The Eyes of the Dragon" (1984) by Stephen King?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

CapitalistPig posted:

Fantasy I'm p sure

Ok heres the infodump

There is a magic user of some kind

He has a mirror that shows him whatever his hearts desire is or some poo poo.

It hasnt shown him anything in a super long time and one day some girl appears in it.

He looks for girl.

He lives in a castle made of ice or glass or something like that.
The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R. Donaldson (1986) ?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

I said a few opinion things about math, not any secret knowledge things or game-affecting things, in a wee hours haze, half asleep, after Ecco misflipped me, exposing a fellow Scum's claim as fake (even though nobody ended up noticing), in a time crisis setup. That's not a good excuse, but that's where my head was. Ecco's "fair warning" was scrolled off the screen of my tablet. Ecco demanded an obsequious apology, I gave it moments later after scrolling over, the ridiculous Modkill threatened was done anyway, and after that I didn't give much of a gently caress to be honest. I should not have done that typing, I admit it. That's a stain on my Mafia honor. But Ecco's spin on the situation is highly dishonest. There is a lot more context.

Not that it really matters.

You all know Ecco and you all know me, and what will be will be. Our Mafia community, with its rich diversity of opinions and personalities, keeps on rollin'.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Amoeba102 posted:

Ninja-editing has always been okay. It's the risk/reward thing of changing your posts against loving up and getting mod killed. If the post was basically never read, then it was basically never posted. Editing posts is more to do with people changing stuff after the fact to mess with the game and changing history. An unread post never happened basically.

New scum tactic accuse someone of ninja editing out incriminating evidence.

In this case, the edited post was enshrined by a mod quote, game mechanic action was taken based on it, and fiery had to explicitly take in-thread action to respond. It was a major huge Scumslip if matters had been left to take their course.

The Modkill was pure spite because Ecco has a deep pathological drive to control and punish, and goes batshit if the whims are subverted or questioned.

But yes, I should have known what I was getting into. I played Calavera, I played that Pander is secret out-of-thread zombie master game, I just wasn't being picky when I signed up, it was the only game that was having trouble filling up.

In all my years of Mafia I never broke a rule, early this morning I was just really fed up and failed to live up to my own standards.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

SirSamVimes posted:

Ecco didn't misflip you, you were flipped correctly. We passed the lock to you, which is what hosed up my claim (even though it didn't matter at that point)

Ecco misflipped FV as assassin instead of vanilla.
I was dead before the passing phase. Lock drops on ground, no? Who knows? Ecco's ~special~ rules and mechanics are frequently incoherent.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tremendous Taste posted:

If scum really had a double nightkill with 5/20 representation and an insane cop told explicitly by mod they're sane I'm not sure cheating is against the spirit of the game

Yeah, this.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

Let's stop lurking. It is killing every active game.
I completely agree, low posting volume wrecks games.

Part of it would be improving setup design to make the game's outcome determined by players posting in the thread, rather than night action results and other mod-centric game mechanics. The classic mechanics of open setup Mafia are all in service of fostering player communication and lynch discussion. That makes sense because the vast majority of the gameplay time is day phase discussion. That's the heart of Mafia.

Lynch All Lurkers is the another solution. In the absence of a really good case, or a strong night-action-based reason to lynch someone else, all these lazy apathy lynches and deadline scrambles really ought to default to the worst lurker.

There's an understandable tendency to just focus the discussion and the votes on the peopke who are actually there and participating, while letting those who don't post just slide by, because they don't respond or engage even if pressured. This is bad for games and bad for Town. Scum have the incentive to nightkill more active posters, Town should recognize that the most vocal people are usually not Scum and should tend to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Not only would these things tend to make games better and more active as they go on, (vs more boring and quiet) it also would have a higher success rate of Scumcatching than the norm. Scum being compelled to post more to escape this policy, and Town striving to not cause a mislynch by being at the bottom, can only improve games.

It's definitely a hard problem to solve and most mechanics-based gimmicks I've seen tried have backfired. In a recent badly run game plagued with replacements and lurking, largely due to poor design, mechanics that reduced player agency and pointlessly increased uncertainty so there was less to meaningfully talk about, loose and badly timed deadlines, and obnoxious delays in both starting and opening the game, the mod capriciously imposed a badly conceived Wall of Death mechanic to bully and threaten to mass-execute lurkers in the middle of the game, with arbitrary rules intended to increase posting, but the overall effect on the game was bad, and the whole affair was dumb and unfair, and did nothing to improve the game. This game I mention was a prime example of the sort of poor choices that make the lurking problem worse and drive people away from the Mafia community entirely.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Chic Trombone posted:

I know I lurk a lot when I don't have things to say, or when I check the thread and someone's already said what I was thinking of saying. I feel like the attitude that if your thought isn't new and something nobody's said before then it's scummy "me-too"ing doesn't help that either
Actually that sort of post, when you are Town, can be very helpful. Any sincere opinion or reaction put on the record tends to be beneficial to Town. Concurring with someone you judge to be a fellow Tiwnie increases their confidence in their own read and signals to them that you are also Town.
"I agree, this is a good point, I got the same impression from that" posts are more often made by Town because Scum benefit from keeping their stances as flexible as possible so they can vote opportunistically without contradicting themselves.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

I liked Ecco's death wall idea. I think it should be employed every day by every mod. If we start a general practice of 'hey, you die if you lurk,' then it will dissuade people from lurking over a long term. In the short term, yes, games will be decided based on modkill lurk deaths. I think the payoff long term is worth it though.
I agree that something similar could be okay if it is clearly laid out in the OP from the start rather than imposed piecemeal with vague requirements and consequences on some arbitrary mid-game whim.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

That game was great. The pictures were one of the best things about it, but they are sadly lost to time.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Don't worry, I'm in that game and I will show the newbies how it's done. Muah ha ha ha

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

ljtrigirl posted:

Meh. I tried to kill you for like four days, so it's not like I was completely innocent.

But it's ok because I stabbed Lumpen. It was really cathartic. I'll have to give him poo poo about it the next time I see him.
I was just doing my job, it's just business. The way I played took my team far. The key to being Scum is to always be ~almost~ the most viable lynch, but not quite, otherwise it gets hard to explain why you didn't die at night. Read the parts of the ScumDoc where we were handling Diqnol.

You played a god game, you correctly had me pegged from almost the start, and you were a big threat. I was acting as sort of a ringleader in Scum planning, and made a choice to keep you in longer than I might have if it wasn't your first game. When we killed Keane it was almost you instead, which would likely have made it a Flawless victory since Mithross was Watching Keane which screwed TMM, and you ended up 'pooning me rather than using the Healing Vial as we hoped you would the next night. I'm glad you at least had the satisfaction of nailing a Scum singlehanded your first game

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

LUTR is already an amazing musician and needs no piece of paper to prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

If only there was a comedy queue system.

«6 »