Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I've never played Mafia before but this looks like fun and I'd like to try. Is there a particular game more suited for newbies to this and/or should I just wait for another new one to open up and make a fool of myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MG3 posted:

Make a fool of yourself! That's the only way to really get into it.

This is my general philosophy for life lately so I can dig this :unsmith:

Podima posted:

I BELIEVE that all games are currently full other than jon joe's CYOR game (which I do NOT suggest as a first game), but I suggest bookmarking this thread and the New Game Announcement thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743445

If you keep an eye on both, you should be able to catch a new game that starts up. :) In the meantime, you can also keep an eye on votefinder to see if a new game opens there: http://votefinder.org/

Welcome! And don't worry about making a fool of yourself, everyone involved in mafia is dumb as poo poo anyways so you'll fit right in.

Thanks! I've got this one bookmarked already but will grab the new game thread too. In the meantime I'll sit back and watch and try to learn something!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

Throw yourself into whatever! I wouldn't recommend my upcoming series game unless you're interested in really jumping in the deep end. If you are, then by all means I will save a spot for you!

Nah, I'll dip my row in the water first, I think- but thank you for the offer and I'll watch your game to see how things go :)

Infinitum posted:

I can POTENTIALLY make an extra role in my 24man Stargate Mafia if you are interested...

I am finalising roles today and it opens in.. 26 hours time.

Only offering it cause you're a newbie, and newbies are cool :frogc00l:

No need to shoehorn me into something just for the sake of it, but thank you and I'll lurk your game too :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Allen Wren posted:

I actually have a small newbie-friendly game I might put up later this week or early next week. Matrix6, so it's only nine players, not one of my unnecessarily-over-researched time period games. More just a gag idea that didn't let go.

I'd be interested in this one too since I suspect either I'll be out of the first game or it'll be over by then :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Look Under The Rock posted:

We haven't done a buzzfeed in a while. Quote this post and I'll tell you which hot beverage you are.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Quote this post and I'll tell you which NES game that I owned as a child you are

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

chaoslord posted:

Still 3 names left in the hat! Sign up for your chance at a free prize! And mostly because I would like to have my hat back :ohdear:

If I counted right I think you're full but if not I'm in :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

dongsbot 9000 posted:

In the next couple of days, I'll open signups for SCUMBO BLUES: SCUM HUNTER SUPREME, the ULTIMATE FORUM MAFIA EXPERIENCE, a 16-player mafia fun-time adventure so get hype!!!

Pre-sign me, if you're doing that sort of thing.

If you're not, then I guess I'll just have to find it then.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Congrats, you two!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Finally caught up on 2000+ unread posts.

Sad I missed all the old-school video game chat.

Good morning, mafia thread.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

dongsbot 9000 posted:

you can still respond to all the qs i asked i think ecco did them late and collated them

Yeah, I'll probably go back and do that after work today.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Guys I'm mad. I started a new job beginning of sept, handed in my paperwork on the first day after I was given it, and heard today that they never got it so I can't get my first check. I gave it to the front desk to interoffice so idk wtf.

Now I can't get paid until the 30th.

That really blows :argh:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

And midnight tokers.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

mafia edit: dang it, dongs :argh:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

dongsbot 9000 posted:

the pun was already established its lowbrow comedy to just say the next line is that's not even comedy really its just saying words in an order that make people go oh ive heard those words before

Maybe I'm a lowbrow comedy kind of guy. You don't know.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

Last night was the first night this week I slept soundly through the night and I feel like a much happier person today

Glad to hear it. I've slept like poo poo all week and I can't figure out why. It's awful.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Some more of you guys should go sign up for Kashuno's game because I could use mafia to distract me from real-life poo poo today.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EccoRaven posted:

the same one that gives us ABC rebooting the 1970s game show The Match Game, apparently, and apparently has Sarah Palin as a panelist.

Please tell me you're kidding. At least about the Sarah Palin part.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Birdstrike posted:

hey thread I made this caramel slice, my caramel layer was a little thin but it was still nice

That looks really delicious. I might be trying that this weekend.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Thanks to Leatherman and everyone else helping keep VoteFinder running.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

GulagDolls posted:

I have an answer to this question but you won't like it

:lol:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TMMadman posted:

I made some delicious Alfredo sauce today. It's slightly spicy and peppery and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not sure what's up with the chicken though as some of them pieces are a bit hard. I know I didn't overcook the chicken because plenty of other pieces are perfectly fine. I think I just ended up getting a bit of a tough breast because one of them was difficult to cut up.

I'm always looking for a good Alfredo recipe if you feel like sharing. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TMMadman posted:

It's pretty simple and uses the standard Alfredo base: 2 cups whole milk, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 4 1/2 tbsp butter, 2 1/2 tbsp flour. I start by melting about half the butter and then adding minced garlic and crushed red pepper (I never really measure these) for a minute or so. Then I use the rest of the butter and when it's melted, I add in the flour and whisk that around for another minute or so. Then I whisk in the milk and after it starts to thicken up a little, I whisk in the cheese. Add salt and pepper and keep whisking until it's done.

If I had to guess, I probably used around a tbsp of garlic (possibly more) and somewhere between 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper. If I had a pepper mill, I'd probably also put fresh pepper in with the garlic/crushed red pepper at the start.

Awesome, thanks. Will probably try that this week!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TMMadman posted:

Also, I was assuming you've made Alfredo before, so you know to use a medium/low heat and not overcook the milk.

Yeah, I screwed that up the first time I tried it but now I remember.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Honest question from someone who has yet to mod their own game here:

Do people tend to like lots of flavor, or very little flavor, or somewhere in-between?

I fee like I've seen successful games in all three categories and I'd like to mod my own game at some point but I'm unsure how much I need to work on and/or worry about flavor and lots of background info.

Does it tend to be something players really like and get into, or no?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

bowmore posted:

surprised mr robot is struggling for players, game looks rad

I agree, but I don't want to join it without being 100% sure I'd have the time to do it well and with work the way it is right now I can't make that promise. :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Quote this post and I will give you the report card comment for a kid in my class that I wish I could send.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CCKeane posted:

I'm 30 now I'm old. :(

Happy birthday Keane :toot:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Somberbrero posted:

language is a game. like mafia, it is not a good one.

:agreed:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Anyone willing to get thrown into the mod column of the game I'm running? I'll only have a tablet/phone for a few days and I won't be able to remove dead players. Votefinder has every functionality but that so I wouldn't need help with anything else.

If I wasn't only on mobile until Monday I'd totally try it but that doesn't help you right now. :( I want to get into modding games going forward.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Poison Mushroom posted:

Pokemonfia Gold and Silver has ended in a which move? he move of!

Is it really over?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Infinitum posted:

Open the thread and post moddoc + scumdoc + obsdoc so we can have a chat about it :argh:

Yeah, this :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Merry Christmas, everybody. Thanks for being a welcoming bunch even when I don't know what I'm doing and/or being too absent from games I join :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Moatillata posted:

God drat rip Carrie Fisher

gently caress you 2016

Awww, man :negative:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Flying Leatherman posted:

I don't know what exactly Cookfia would entail but it sounds amazing and I would 100% play it.

e: I just read Cookfia 2, and my goodness, do I ever want to do this.

Anybody got a link for either of these games? I'd like to read them!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CapitalistPig posted:

FF3 is coming..... soon

Also, I want in on this again. Either pre-sign (if you're taking those), or shoot me a PM when you open it, pretty please?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Thanks. Read through the first one already and this looks like a blast.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

bank account dipped into 3 digits today RIP

I know that feeling :( Hang in there.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Somberbrero posted:

are there games starting up or what's up?

Sitting here waiting for CPig to post FF3 like :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CapitalistPig posted:

She made one for everyone playing in my dungeons and dragons game on Thursdays so she made me a dungeon master one.

These are seriously cool.