Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I actually htae modding games idk why I keep doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I will only go in the DJ place when Taste is there

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I agree about the lurking and shitposting tbh, it's fun to joke around and be light-hearted during joke phase and throughout the games, but when you have a certain mix of players in a game sometimes it just turns into: lets lynch this guy, then this guy, then this guy with no real motive. Lurking is way worse though. I've had a cool idea for a game and have worked on it but have decided against pressing the submit button since I think my last like 4 games have been plagued by inactivity from half of the game.

You do have certain games that pop up and are really active which is cool though. I don't think I'm wrong to say games from a few years ago, content wise, were infinitely more fun to play in just because of the high level of activity and manipulation/effort.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
As I grow older, I see myself becoming Dragnix... what is happening.. I never asked for this fam....

But yeah, I mean there was a reason waar (rip!!) and Alasdair were unique because of the way they played mafia. I just viewed a few games and I'm not going to name names but there's quite a few people that will have a bunch of posts, none more than a sentence long. Just typing this alone is putting in more effort and took like 30 seconds. Maybe i'm nitpicking because lurkers are infinitely worse, but sometimes you have people that do both.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Chili games were always pretty fun for me.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

JakeP posted:

If I can say what I want to say in 4 words I am not going to fill in the rest of the post with elaborate prose in order to appease the masses. I really hated the old style of super effort case where every case might as well have been a doctoral thesis, I don't have the time or attention for that, and really that isn't how effective communication works.

People zone out after the first couple sentences, if you can't get your idea across in that time much of the communication will just be ignored or glossed over.

I totally disagree but hey if that's your style then sure, just straight up saying nobody if the majority of the playerbase is doing the same thing then I think you're effectively not playing mafia anymore. Half of mafia is digesting actions from other players and since we're not in a room together we're just digesting words. I can't get anything out of "yeah hes scum lynch him" and "okay lets do this", no explanation votes, people that don't want to elaborate on their actions, etc. I'm not expecting anybody to be Dragnix and mega-case somebody, but it's good food for the mod to know that people are enjoying your game and participating on an active level with decent content.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

JakeP posted:

People zone out after the first couple sentences, if you can't get your idea across in that time much of the communication will just be ignored or glossed over.

I've found that no matter how much I write or don't write, people willfully will ignore what you have to say just to re-affirm their gut or try to skew opinion on you because they're scum.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Im running a 32 player mafia like game NFL themed (well, less like mafia and more like the old "the infected" game I think it was called) but a little different, just lots of killing and poo poo, maybe a little strategy if you like that

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Magnus Gallant posted:

Where's the link?

I meant to say i'm working on it but itll be up tonight or early in the morning

can pre-sign up here if you want

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DuckHuntDog posted:

I am so tempted but I remember signing up for one of your games a year ago (I think) and couldn't manage to keep up this early in the semester.

Maybe if it is a big game...

it's honestly less like a huge mafia game and more like a card game with killings

32 players, each will have 10 players / cards and every day or twice a day everybody will submit an action (e.g. tom brady kills antonio brown)

but there will be special powers for each cards that each player will assign, so like a 1 use block on a certain night on antonio brown will make it so he's not eliminated from your deck, or a tnt card where anybody that focuses that card also loses their card

last person to have the most players will win (there will be super power cards too that are even more powerful)

its going to be fun

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm never running an actual real mafia big game again. That poo poo is hell

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

busb posted:

if you think non mafia big games are easier to mod than mafia big games you are really in for a shock dbd. mafia is super simple in comparison

Half of my problem is sending out pms and flavor, intend for neither to really happen in this. Just private messaging people is such a chore for me for some reason

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

NFL Bloodbowl game is live!

32 spots, join if you want to kill things and banter about football. Even if you don't like football join. You'll probably do better.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Happy bday erns

btw still have tons of spots for my new game, join if you're interested!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct3WNYDXflc

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
ah gently caress, my mom just called me to tell me my grandma passed away :smith:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Thanks pals. It was in her sleep and it was pretty much her time to go after suffering for a while, and I got to say goodbye when I left NY last week so I prepared myself a little bit. Just sucks cause grandmas are the best.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tremendous Taste posted:

Dbd's game is recruiting

Yep. and you can be in other games with my game, not much effort required

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

link to me game

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DuckHuntDog posted:

DBD's game still needs some players so everyone should get on board.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: MY GAME STILL NEEDS A FEW PLAYERS :siren:

Unfortunately won't get 32 players but leaving it open about 1 more day and then going with what I have. Less like Mafia and more like the Infected game or whatever from years ago. Do not need to put much effort into it. You don't need to know anything about football to signup!!

Ok last post about it here enjoy your regularly scheduled poo poo

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 19, 2015

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tremendous Taste posted:

To be fair DBD finds us obnoxious and a poor community to mod for

Or maybe he was just mad then but

this is true

I don't care about thread stuff tbh I'd post in 10 (sparingly) threads if there was that many but I'm down for anything that can help the community, my biggest problem is just apathy and effort

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
The crux of everything is in the game itself. If the mod is poo poo and lazy, people won't really have a fun time, if the players are apathetic and inactive, it's awful. That's what would generate content in old threads for discussion, hype for a good new game, funny/cool poo poo that would happen in said games, think the thread thing is whatever honestly.

My problem is that I really want to create the best and most fun games and when people sign-up and barely post my interest in investing time in my game wanes because I feel like people don't really give a poo poo. Or they do but it's hard when a few people are creating a fun atmosphere while the rest shitpost and bring others into it.

Like, the discussion I had with JakeP a few weeks ago annoyed me a bit where it was like "yeah you don't need to post more than a sentence to get through to somebody, if you could say something in 5 words instead of a paragraph you obviously do that, gently caress actually putting in effort I play to win, I dont play for the mod" was the gist of what he was saying.

Alternatively, I played against JakeP and a few other townies the following game I signed up for (BottleKnights game), town barely did anything and it was the easiest scum win ever for Dhaes and Keane and I because town had a bunch of people that had a similar posting style as JakeP, also, Lumpen. To be fair Jake actually put in effort I'm not accusing him of anything that game, just saying a lot of town barely posted and if they did it was like "yeah I agree with dhaes" "ok lets do this"

tldr: not telling people how to play, but if everybody put in 10 or 20% more effort into games it actually helps!! people enjoy fun games!! people actually read these games and notice how much fun or not that we're having!!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Just trying to eat this steak and not type words so bye

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I personally miss Pander and Chili

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Amoeba102 posted:

Magnus, yeah it happened and while it may be funny in retrospect, it was terrible gamesmanship.

DBD hasa good point, games are less wordy than they used to be.

Not even wordy tbh, like if there is constant dialogue between people then that's great, doesn't matter how long

My point is that when everybody is posting content it means it's harder to actually differentiate who's scum and who's not. Content drives discussion in games so if 14 people are posting quality stuff there's a lot of things to look at, which makes the game more fun to me at least.

I made this point earlier, back in the day you had waar (rip) and Alasdair, and people knew you could barely have 2 of them in the same game let alone other people like them, when you have 10 people posting like that it's just a shitshow

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Putting a hold on my bloodbowl game since it's really not intended to run with 9 less players but maybe some other time.

In the meanwhile I'll maybe drop my other game with significantly less people needed and after 4 months of working on it off and on and just work out the ~kinks~ tonight

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tremendous Taste posted:

I only hate one mafia player and he doesn't play much anymore

Me

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I think every game should have one new or rarely used role just for integration purposes, always nice to see what could work and what wouldn't work in future games.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Narcos is a good show

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Couldnt run my NFL game cause I needed an exact amount of players but I did drop This Murder Mystery Game that I've been working on for quite a while, I did one a few years ago called Murder Mystery @ The Bodega and had to close it due to some personal stuff but I've tweaked the premise a bit so that it's more interactive and so that there is incentive to post and work together. So if you're into that kind of stuff, sign up!

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 24, 2015

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

BottleKnight posted:

oh so it's cancelled? :(

No, I still want to run it, maybe after the Soldiers game, just postponed a bit until there's more interest. Been working on this one way longer though so I figure I'll run something a bit smaller.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Amoeba102 posted:

DBD, neat idea. Wish I could commit to activity.

It's not super intensive like a mafia game but you would need to be there daily or every other day for the night portions at least to fully immerse yourself, but yeah, if you do find time come join!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Vagina mouth huh

Replaced it with something just as creepy but less vagina looking mouth

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Why the gently caress is SA loading so slow for me. I think it's my internet cause it's been lovely as hell lately, but most websites are loading fine except for this website. Like 15 seconds for any click~ nobody else is having this problem right I just want to make sure it's me

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

bowmore posted:

my thoughts on the thread stuff

leave this thread as it is, discussion and chat mixed together

close all other threads

post sign-ups to new games in the official TG game sign up thread

seems fine actually, discussion and game announcements thread makes sense since it was only used sparingly for games and some people never used it at all to announce games

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I haven't played TF2 in a while, but I've been getting back into CS:GO.

Does anybody have Rocket League on Steam? besides Dota thats all I play

Also just so you guys know, my game is "full" but its never really full, you can participate as its sort of just a running mystery game

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 26, 2015

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXnfhnCoOyo

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I haven't moved out of the mud zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Mills posted:

Na I solved the IPad when everyone had no clue about the password (Taste my witness) and I believe I found the last clue in the bathroom after everyone had swept it (DBD my witness). Otherwise, yes, I sat on the couch and watched organised chaos unfold.

You almost found the rug thing too but looked on the wrong side!

I remember not doing poo poo, actually, I found a lot of important stuff that people weren't noticing and then I just handed it all to that mom to figure out