Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resonanteye
Dec 28, 2014

doh
I'm a traditional artist and right now this month, I'm working on a bunch of painting. Problem is, the house I'm living at right now only has one room I can work in really and it's in the attic.

It's been 100 degrees F here for the last week and no signs of stopping. I'm in the PNW so no air conditioning in the house at all. Right now I'm east of the cascades in WA state but I have only been here a year, I came here from coastal OR and had no idea it would be like this here. I've been on the coast in the pacific NW for like twenty years and have no idea how to handle summer anymore.

My paint is drying too fast when I'm doing water media and melting off the canvas when I work with oil. I'm afraid to leave my markers and inks in the room because they're drying out and I've been carrying my solvents downstairs when I get done working because I'm afraid they'll explode. I took a thermometer with me yesterday and the room was 116 degrees at seven pm. I was too scared to go up there until it was getting on into evening. I've been working mostly at night and (when I can drag rear end up there) in the early morning, but I need to be able to work in the day too.

I have three big projects I HAVE to get done this month and I don't know what to do. I can't afford to go buy an AC and even if I could the room has only one tiny window, it wouldn't fit. I don't have the tools to build anything and I've been trying to use a fan with ice in a bowl to get at least a little breeze but it's not really working.

Someone told me to try a swamp cooler but I don't know where I'd go to get one, or if that's an expensive thing, or how to get one. Would it affect my stuff at all (humidity?) or not? Does anyone know, or have any better ideas?

Jeebus gently caress I think I may melt anyway. I feel like my nervous system is just broken after working up there for only an hour or two. I'm used to rain all the time, I'm not mentally prepared for this poo poo.

Picture is something I painted recently when I was visiting the coastal region and able to think straight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resonanteye
Dec 28, 2014

doh
yeah the last few weeks have been murderous. I think I'm going to drag my drawing board downstairs for now. I looked around and found out that swamp coolers probably won't work because it is actually humid here now too, I guess they only work in really dry places? plus they'll humidify the room and I'm concerned about my paints.

I might try to skrimp my groceries and bills this month and get an AC, like a tiny one just for that room. But I haven't decided yet.

I hate the heat, holy hell this place sucks on many levels but this ramps it up to 11

thanks for replying too I was starting to feel a little twilight zone in here.

resonanteye
Dec 28, 2014

doh
I gave in and went to the thrift store. dirtiest ancient AC of all time, but working. 75 degrees is bearable.

yes that's a lot of paper towels. I know.

• Locked thread