Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Allow throw-ins to be kick-ins. Can't score directly but you can float it in. Reckon we'll see more goal action this way, and also pressures players to keep the ball in.

If they really wanted to see more goals a la lovely American sports they could just make the goal bigger.

I defo think we should make keepers do more though.

But what about the freaks like Rory Delap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Benny Harvey posted:

He can go play rugby.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Benny Harvey posted:

He's dead, who cares.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

blue footed boobie posted:

Thus actually sounds really cool.

Do you really want Arsenal to have to defend more set pieces?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Get rid of penalties to decide a match, just keep playing extra time until someone scores. Reduce the number of players on each team by one every ten minutes until it's 1 vs 1 if no goal is scored. Who do you sub off, a defender or an attacker? Keep on the talented guy with the dodgy hamstring or the shitter who can run and run and run? Excitement for all.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Have a qualifying round for teams like san marino to get into World Cup/Euro qualification.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Id Unironically love hockey style penalty shootouts.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

The penalty spot should be about 2 yards further back. Apart from that it's perfect.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Any 3pm kickoff moved for whatever reason has to be shown for free on the BBC.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Benny Harvey posted:

Have a qualifying round for teams like san marino to get into World Cup/Euro qualification.

This would be the single biggest thing that would reduce the apathy towards international football in Europe

Instead UEFA decide to include Gibraltar

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Monday Bandele posted:

This would be the single biggest thing that would reduce the apathy towards international football in Europe

Instead UEFA decide to include Gibraltar

What happened to the FIFA policy of only allowing sovereign states to start playing football? How long is it before we see Aaland Islands vs. Ceuta?

Anyway, wait to you see wht they're doing for Euro 2020. Besides holding the tournament in 13 different countries (which I think is actually a neat idea) there's going to be a parallel qualifying tournament called the UEFA Nations League. The basic qualifying tournament will be roughly the same; 10 groups of 5 or 6 teams with the top 2 qualifying for the finals. That leaves 4 spots for the Nations League one for the best team from each league not yet qualified through the normal qualification. And the leagues will be based on rankings at first with promotion and relegation, not that there's much point in getting promoted since the chances of qualifying are the same in each league- oh except the top league has the prestigious final four.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=2191264.html#nations+league+format

What annoys me most about this is that UEFA got a potentially good idea but rather than running with it just half-assed it and now there'll be extra matches without significantly changing who's likely to be in the final tournament. What they could have done was keep the current format (9 groups of 6) and have the groups based on ranking and with promotion and relegation, ie. maybe 3 leagues of 2 groups of 6 and a bottom league with 3 groups. The higher leagues get more places so that promotion to a higher league actually means something and also the matches are more competitive. So there might be a group with Andorra, San Marino, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and the Faroes but there would only be one playoff spot whereas a group with say Spain, Germany, Russia, Croatia, Portugal and Italy would have 3 automatic places and 3 play-off spots with the bottom placed team being relegated for the next qualifying tournament.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ban international football

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

sassassin posted:

Nah. If anything I'd force club teams to only have players from their own region.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Benny Harvey posted:

What happened to the FIFA policy of only allowing sovereign states to start playing football? How long is it before we see Aaland Islands vs. Ceuta?

Anyway, wait to you see wht they're doing for Euro 2020. Besides holding the tournament in 13 different countries (which I think is actually a neat idea) there's going to be a parallel qualifying tournament called the UEFA Nations League. The basic qualifying tournament will be roughly the same; 10 groups of 5 or 6 teams with the top 2 qualifying for the finals. That leaves 4 spots for the Nations League one for the best team from each league not yet qualified through the normal qualification. And the leagues will be based on rankings at first with promotion and relegation, not that there's much point in getting promoted since the chances of qualifying are the same in each league- oh except the top league has the prestigious final four.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=2191264.html#nations+league+format

What annoys me most about this is that UEFA got a potentially good idea but rather than running with it just half-assed it and now there'll be extra matches without significantly changing who's likely to be in the final tournament. What they could have done was keep the current format (9 groups of 6) and have the groups based on ranking and with promotion and relegation, ie. maybe 3 leagues of 2 groups of 6 and a bottom league with 3 groups. The higher leagues get more places so that promotion to a higher league actually means something and also the matches are more competitive. So there might be a group with Andorra, San Marino, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and the Faroes but there would only be one playoff spot whereas a group with say Spain, Germany, Russia, Croatia, Portugal and Italy would have 3 automatic places and 3 play-off spots with the bottom placed team being relegated for the next qualifying tournament.

the League of Nations didn't work so well last time

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

JFairfax posted:

the League of Nations didn't work so well last time

Danzig vs. Fiume anyone?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

sassassin posted:

this,, this!!!!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ban women's football.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

the captain with the thickest dick and most hanging balls decides who kicks off

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kronum

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Ban women's football.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Get rid of all group stages, have straight knockout for all tournaments that aren't domestic leagues

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

The World Cup would be cut in half though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Benny Harvey posted:

The World Cup would be cut in half though.

Have 64 teams

People would go nuts doing brackets

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Have 64 teams

People would go nuts doing brackets

Why would they go nuts?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Benny Harvey posted:

Why would they go nuts?

You ESL?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I felt the blue cards from indoor soccer would be a good addition to cut down on players just hacking people down and fouling a few times a game so they only draw a yellow that realistically doesn't really have any implication. Essentially if a player is fouling enough he should be carded and made to "sit" realistically stand out for a 3-5 minutes and force their team to go down a man. Because pretty much fouls dont really mean anything unless it is close to a box or serious enough to warrant a red which alot of refs are reluctant to hand out.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just invite every single country to the world cup, no qualifiers so we can finally see Tonga v Germany or something

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Twat le Piss posted:

Just invite every single country to the world cup, no qualifiers so we can finally see Tonga v Germany or something

Run it like a tennis tournament. Have 32 seeded teams filtered into four brackets, and another 96 teams filling in the bracket's empty spaces, chosen by a mixture of world rankings (with a revamped world rankings system) and qualifying rounds for the worse nations. Then a straight knockout seven-round tournament.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

No, I just don't know what you mean by "doing brackets".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a thing that faggy Americans do.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Benny Harvey posted:

No, I just don't know what you mean by "doing brackets".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RjOeCSWnU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Pissflaps posted:

It's a thing that faggy Americans do.

The worst are the dudes who only ever fill out their bottom half.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
No substitutions in the last 5 minutes unless there is an injury.

Because how do they still get away with that? It seems every time a team is 2-1 up they bring on a random in the dying seconds just to blatantly run the clock down. It annoys the poo poo out of every single time.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

The_Master posted:

No substitutions in the last 5 minutes unless there is an injury.

Because how do they still get away with that? It seems every time a team is 2-1 up they bring on a random in the dying seconds just to blatantly run the clock down. It annoys the poo poo out of every single time.

because there's no rule against it you retard

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

poo poo Farm posted:

because there's no rule against it you retard

I know there's no rule against it. I would like there to be. That's the whole point of the thread you dipshit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The referee adds time for substitutions.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I don't like any Sloop John B chants, can we get rid of them?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I would make a change so that if a substitution happens in injury time the commentators don't go insane when the time ticks one second past the final added minute and the referee doesn't immediately end the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Honestly the 4th being in charge of adding time and being able to see it as it happens wouldn't be bad inpo.

• Locked thread