Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed drones. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

And tomorrow's volunteering vegan offering is nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid: Burrito bowls - rice, black bean chili, homemade refried beans, tomato salsa with some spring onions and avocado.

While most of it is pretty standard, I'd never really made or tried refried beans until I got into vegetarian cooking. I use refried beans in a few different things - in enchiladas, on wraps, as a dip, burrito bowls, etc. Also I hear it freezes pretty well but I can't say I've tried it.

Refried beans:

500g dry pinto beans
1 medium brown onion, diced
½ cup pickled jalapenos, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
Black pepper
6 cups water
Salt
Squirt of lime juice

Rinse pinto beans then add everything except salt and lime juice to a slow cooker, cook for 5 hours.

After that's done, drain the liquid into a separate bowl, add the lime juice and salt to the beans and stick-blend the beans. Add more liquid as needed to get your preferred consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

A bit more food. About a couple weeks until I go to India, so still using up pantry stuff:

Slow-cooked tomato sauce (three cans of tomatoes, I think).

Miso soup (using up some kombu and shiitake mushrooms for the stock, using up some miso and wakame for the soup).

Rava pongal (using up some cream of wheat and moong dal).

«12 »