Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I didn't have enough time to make rice to go with it, but for a quick lunch I made Chris Morocco's maple-glazed tofu and just dished it up with some kimchi. I added in some szechuan peppercorn because I love it and some togarashi that we made a big batch of a little while back. Very very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So for the onion/garlic thing, Tamil Brahmins avoid garlic specifically, but aren't quite as strict about the onions. If you're making food to serve the gods, you never add onion or garlic. It's a saatvik food thing. Brahmins aren't supposed to eat stuff that inflames the passions, so to speak, so we tend to avoid garlic and onion in the cooking, especially if you're an active working priest, because you tend to make food for the temple, which must be offered to the gods first before it is fed to the masses. Any leftovers go to the family, of course. Since they're cooking that way to begin with, you're generally not bothering with the stuff.

The other reason to avoid garlic or onion is to ensure that the dry cooked food is crispy, and not washed out. So if you're making dry cooked potatoes or chickpeas, that crispy texture is really important to the final dish, and you never add anything that'll wet things down. In the potato situation, the heat that you need to get a proper crust is too high, and will burn garlic.

One of those weird similarities between Tamil Brahmin food and Jain food (even though they're generally from different regions) is this love for asafoetida. Because Jains use it as a substitute for garlic and onion, and the TamBrams will do the same, I've found that a lot of Jains I've met love love love South Indian food that's heavy on the hing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

How Wonderful! posted:

I didn't have enough time to make rice to go with it, but for a quick lunch I made Chris Morocco's maple-glazed tofu and just dished it up with some kimchi.

This sounds awesome, gonna make it

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

dino. posted:

So for the onion/garlic thing, Tamil Brahmins avoid garlic specifically, but aren't quite as strict about the onions. If you're making food to serve the gods, you never add onion or garlic. It's a saatvik food thing. Brahmins aren't supposed to eat stuff that inflames the passions, so to speak, so we tend to avoid garlic and onion in the cooking, especially if you're an active working priest, because you tend to make food for the temple, which must be offered to the gods first before it is fed to the masses. Any leftovers go to the family, of course. Since they're cooking that way to begin with, you're generally not bothering with the stuff.

The other reason to avoid garlic or onion is to ensure that the dry cooked food is crispy, and not washed out. So if you're making dry cooked potatoes or chickpeas, that crispy texture is really important to the final dish, and you never add anything that'll wet things down. In the potato situation, the heat that you need to get a proper crust is too high, and will burn garlic.

One of those weird similarities between Tamil Brahmin food and Jain food (even though they're generally from different regions) is this love for asafoetida. Because Jains use it as a substitute for garlic and onion, and the TamBrams will do the same, I've found that a lot of Jains I've met love love love South Indian food that's heavy on the hing.

Again this is really interesting stuff, thank you. I've always enjoyed experimenting with your 'dry cooked chickpeas' recipe and have 100% found that if anything too liquidy (even residual cooking liquid from the chickpeas) ends up in the pan the quality decreases.

From the Jain/ethical point of view - and sorry if I'm labouring the point, but I'm fascinated by this - where does the line get drawn between harvesting without killing and harvesting that is considered too destructive. So, for example, is harvesting potatoes OK because it's possible to leave some from the same plant in the ground? What about perennial onions?

This is meant entirely in good faith and not akin to the desert island scenarios we vegans get all the time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE: Jains, I haven't the foggiest where they draw the line. IIRC, there were a couple of my parents' friends that wouldn't use carrots or potatoes either. To be fair, potatoes are a fairly new ingredient anyway, and Jains been Jaining for a hot minute by the time potatoes rolled onto the picture. THAT SAID, you don't see a ton of people walking around with those little brooms to sweep the ground in front of them to prevent stepping on bugs, and gently pushing them out of the path, so they don't get hurt, right? I think most Jains draw the line at what's reasonably practicable in today's modern world.

To be honest, it's not something I'm very familiar with, because it's not my religious background. I thiiiiiink by and largethey're vegetarian if they're practicing. And as the younger generation rolls in, you've got folk less and less too fussed about the specific bans on ingredients that aren't as big a deal as like meat or something. My (tamil brahmin) mom spent a lot of her teenage years in Queens, NY. Her and her sisters are pretty comfortable with anything, as long as it's vegetarian. Chilies, garlic, onion, milk, eggs, whatever. My grandma (her mom) kept strict. Dad grew up in a more conservative part of South India, and then super nationalistic North India, so he kept pretty strict. Friend of mine married a Jain lady. She's a huge fan of any time I make something super hing-heavy, because she grew up eating it. But, she's also quite happy to eat stuff with lots of garlic, because garlic is delicious.

You know that one lady on YouTube. Manjula's Kitchen? She's a Jain (as in, it's literally her last name). She'll do stuff with potatoes, onions, garlic, chilies, whatever. But if she's making "pure vegetarian" stuff, or "fasting recipes" (because for Hindus and Jains, there's days where you fast from grains, but everything else is fine; for a cuisine based around either rice or roti, a fast from grains means you're not eating much), she'll avoid the onion/garlic.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Since everyone seems to be getting into baking I made my first ever big pie

Sweet potato, butternut squash, cabbage, onions and mushrooms. With lots of herbs, oat milk and nutmeg cream and lots of gravy.

And I also made a sort of Thai yellow soup curry thing. Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, chilli, garlic, lemon juice, cinammon, turmeric and salt and pepper, then fry in green beans, onions, sweet potato, onions and mushrooms, add noodles and serve with rice. Delicious, piss easy, dirt cheap.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Holy poo poo, that mushroom gravy looks AWESOME. I have to leave my bunker at some point this week, and since everything's sold out everywhere around here, I need to get some staples I hope are a little less common.

This thread is going to be AMAZING for building up a set of shopping lists that will hopefully let me go back to my hermit hole with provisions for another couple weeks. Thanks for sharing, errybody!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I had a hankering for something really unhealthy and have been pining for V Street's lunch menu so I made Nashville-ish hot tofu, using a combination of a few different recipes and some winging it. I usually use a very minimal amount of oil when I'm pan-frying tofu but since the oil for this went into the final marinade I went whole hog and decided to just lean into how my mom taught me to do up chicken way back when. I did a double-coat of hot sauce in oat milk and seasoned flour before doing the panko, which is a step I've occasionally seen in various crispy tofu recipes but always skipped in the past.

I definitely needed to lie down after eating my portion, but it was incredible. The coating was flaky and crunchy, and felt just like the fried chicken my mom used to make on special occasions. I had it with a nice dashi pickle and it was just the tops.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

duckmaster posted:

And I also made a sort of Thai yellow soup curry thing. Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, chilli, garlic, lemon juice, cinammon, turmeric and salt and pepper, then fry in green beans, onions, sweet potato, onions and mushrooms, add noodles and serve with rice. Delicious, piss easy, dirt cheap.

Made this yesterday, although didn't have noodles so just put a mound of rice in the middle. Good poo poo!

Due to the strange combinations of ingredients we currently have in the house I also made these to go with it - https://inquiringchef.com/pan-fried-crispy-chickpeas-with-lime/

I dotted a few on top of the rice for decoration and then put the rest in a separate bowl - they disappeared extremely quickly and were a piece of piss to make, so will become a new regular recipe methinks.

edit: *Disclaimer* - photo of chickpeas taken from website, not my own kitchen!

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Catfishenfuego posted:

Sautee with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and a little lemon juice and put it on good toast.

I’ve only just got round to doing this but god loving drat. That is phenomenol.

Edit: to save anyone looking back I cooked butter beans in the microwave then mashed them up with a fork, chucked some garlic and rosemary into a wok with oil, threw in the mashed beans and fried on a low heat for a couple of minutes, took off the heat and mixed in some olive oil to get the consistency I wanted and spread over brown toast.

Better than hummus, incredibly.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 30, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

duckmaster posted:

I’ve only just got round to doing this but god loving drat. That is phenomenol.

Can confirm, used fresh rosemary from the garden, also added a little salt to the mix.

Partner liked it too, and she at best usually tolerates dishes with beans in them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I made these vegan "pulled pork" sandwiches yesterday (not my pic):

https://minimalistbaker.com/best-vegan-pulled-pork-sandwich/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0QGAgI0bE

They're really good. I've been off meat for 17 months now and one of the only things I found myself missing was the taste of a great BBQ sandwich. These are made from green lentils and carrots, which sounds weird but actually make an awesome texture. Just a big, sloppy BBQ sandwich. They hit the spot perfectly.

Highly recommended!

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Ehud posted:

I made these vegan "pulled pork" sandwiches yesterday (not my pic):

https://minimalistbaker.com/best-vegan-pulled-pork-sandwich/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0QGAgI0bE

They're really good. I've been off meat for 17 months now and one of the only things I found myself missing was the taste of a great BBQ sandwich. These are made from green lentils and carrots, which sounds weird but actually make an awesome texture. Just a big, sloppy BBQ sandwich. They hit the spot perfectly.

Highly recommended!

I've made pulled pork from jackfruit and this definitely looks like a nice way to keep that from getting boring.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I've tried the savoury jackfruit, tastes like not much and texture like pickled artichoke. I'd rather eat artichokes lol.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I was also immediately turned off by jackfruit. Is there a trick to preparation which makes it less... pickled-like, or is that the desired taste and texture? Being from the northern bogs I have zero idea what I am supposed to be aiming for there, it might be great if I knew what I was doing.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I use oyster mushrooms for my vegan pulled “pork”.

It does taste seriously good. It has the added benefit of being something that’s really easy to make on a weeknight too.

I love to make the real thing as well, but it takes all day on the smoker.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Mushrooms work really well, I also like jackfruit but depending on the brand you really really need to pat it dry if you don't want a briny taste. I can't get trumpet mushrooms all that often, especially lately, but they're my all-time top choice for meatless bbq.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I put jackfruit in chili, it's works great imo.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

von Braun posted:

I put jackfruit in chili, it's works great imo.

This is fuckin genius. I haven't had chili in years because I couldn't figure out what to put in it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

This is fuckin genius. I haven't had chili in years because I couldn't figure out what to put in it.

Carne de soya not your thing?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I suck at cooking with soy/tofu. I've tried all the tricks like freezing it and pressing it and also doing nothing to it. My soy failures are what drove me to getting better at seitan.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I know this thread is not for discussing meat substitutes, but I just made a pot of our regular chili con soya with soy crumble (textured soy protein? I'm not sure about the American nomenclature) and it really is a treat. The soy mince texture adds to the experience compared to using just beans, I just find chili without it to be a bit bleh.

I prepare the soy mince by frying up two chopped onions, four cloves of garlic and a stick or two of celery in oil, mixing in the usual seasonings (go in big on the cumin) with that and then adding a cup of soy protein, two tablespoons of regular mustard and three tablespoons of soy sauce. I let the soy soak all that in and then slowly add a cup of water to the mix to reconstitute the soy. There's your base for any chili, then just start adding your other veggies, beans, tomatoes, more seasoning etc. as you like.

Again, sorry if this is considered overstepping the thread rules!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I come to cleanse the thread of fake meat with some stuff I've been eating lately:

Aloo Gobi (potatoes and cauliflower)

Aloo Patta Gobi Sabzi (potatoes and cabbage)

Aloo Bhindi (potatoes and okra)

Aloo Rasedar (potatoes in tomato gravy)

Aloo Shimla Mirch ki Sabzi (potatoes and green bell pepper stir fry)

Moongphali Bhindi (okra with peanuts)

Aloo Methi (potatoes with fenugreek leaves)

Toor Dal

Kala Chana (black chickpeas)

Aloo Jeera (potatoes with cumin)

Sem Aur Aloo Ki Sabzi (green beans with potatoes)

Batata nu Shaak (Gujurati style potatoes)

Aloo Palak Sabzi (potatoes with spinach)

Aloo Baingan (potatoes with eggplant)

Blows my mind that there are still people out there who don't know how there could be much vegan food. Like, this is just what you can make if you mostly just cook potatoes, Indian style! Imagine how many loving recipes there are if you don't limit yourself just to potatoes in Southeast Asia!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Sorry about the fake meats, they aren't the focus of this thread. I know I just need a bowl of chili every now and then!

Everyone should visit the potato thread if they haven't done so already. Moving away from Southern Asia, I highly recommend Sichuan shredded potatoes, they are awesome and take a whole fifteen minutes or so from start to finish. No pics, sorry!

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 24, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Bulgar wheat adds a great texture to chili :)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

COOL CORN posted:

Bulgar wheat adds a great texture to chili :)

Came here to add this, really gives it that ground beef chew. Chopped walnuts are nice too, they add textural contrast and some fatty richness that can be missing from some vegan versions of meaty dishes.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Vinestalk posted:

Depending on how it comes, i buy it in canned with brine in triangles. Just tear them up a little and it will be stringy and chewy and doesnt lose its texture.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Aloo Gobi (potatoes and cauliflower)

drat that looks good, what spices did you put into it? And how were your potatoes cooked? Roasted I assume?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

cheetah7071 posted:

drat that looks good, what spices did you put into it? And how were your potatoes cooked? Roasted I assume?
Check out my post in the potato thread for more details. The potatoes definitely weren't roasted - I have no oven in my apartment, as is typical for Indian apartments. Almost nobody here has an oven.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Check out my post in the potato thread for more details. The potatoes definitely weren't roasted - I have no oven in my apartment, as is typical for Indian apartments. Almost nobody here has an oven.

Thanks! Looks easy enough and I already have all those spices, so I'll just pick up some cauliflower and potato next time I'm at the store

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
roasted aloo gobi sounds like a nice dish

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Hello again fellow vegans. Please have a donut!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't want to toot my own horn but I think I'm getting good at making pretty-looking tofu:

I made a slight variation of this recipe (we're out of scallions and I forgot about the sesame seeds), my wife made the broccolini.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I've been vegetarian for a fairly long time, and I make vegan desserts/dinners when I can. One thing I struggle with is breakfasts.

What're some of your favourite breakfast/brunch options so I can stop eating eggs and making eggs for people.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I've been vegetarian for a fairly long time, and I make vegan desserts/dinners when I can. One thing I struggle with is breakfasts.

What're some of your favourite breakfast/brunch options so I can stop eating eggs and making eggs for people.

Idk how it fits into this threads 'no mimick meats' policy but tofu scrambles seem like a really popular alternative

I like having beans and toast with some (almond) milk tea and pretending I'm british

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Tofu scrambles are nice, I always like good old avocado toast, which can be supplemented really well with any kind of bean or some roasted chickpeas. Here's a picture of that I had earlier this week for a light brunch:

That's after I ate some of the chickpeas already while chatting in the kitchen, so overall it was more filling than it might look.

You can make a nice breakfast taco or burrito out of roasted potatoes and black beans mashed with some chilis and something sweet like maple syrup (or honey if you're ok with eating it), and topped with whatever sauce you like and chopped up produce (guac, or diced mango, or a simple pico de gallo). This can obviously be bulked up or converted to burrito form with a little rice and some marinated tofu. A little mezze plate can be super satisfying too and easy to do with leftovers-- some pitas, hummus, muhamarra, babaghanoush, and chocked veggies/pickles.

I also used to absolutely depend on Isa Chandra Moskowitz' vegan pancake recipe and would make it like clockwork every Sunday.

Also nothing wrong with some oats and a fruit salad!

Edit: One of the best breakfasts I've ever had was the vegan platter at a pub near me-- some of it was kind of what you'd expect (bbq tofu, some kind of faux-meat sausage) but it came with this mushroom scrapple that I completely fell in love with. I've never remade it at home because pre-quarantine I could just walk over there and have it whenever I wanted, but this looks pretty close?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 5, 2020

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I love hummus toast for breakfast (toast, hummus, za'atar, then some kind of greens like baby spinach on top!) in addition to beans on toast and avocado toast. I make grits all the time with vegan butter and nutritional yeast, sometimes with coconut milk to make it creamy. Love vegan pancakes and vegan french toast made with aquafaba when I want something more "brunchy." Can't go wrong with a good tofu scramble, and I've used the same seasonings to coat and pan-fry tofu patties for breakfast sandwiches.

Edit: And breakfast potatoes too! Air-fried or pan-fried quartered small potatoes cooked in oil and spices, served with wilted greens, delicious.

Carotid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 5, 2020

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I like making overnight oats. They're pretty customizable and very easy to make in batches for the week.

Aloo Paratha
and Cheela are some of my favorite indian ones.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

cheers folks. can’t stop my housemates from buying eggs but at least I can stop using em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I've actually had a big breakfast post on my mind for a while. It's far from done but here is a preview in the form of some breakfast options. But before I list the options, remember that "breakfast has to be different from other meals" is a made up rule that nobody has to follow. You can eat normal food for breakfast. Anyways:

One option is oatmeal. There are four or five kinds of oats, I guess: quick cooking, normal rolled oats, steel cut oats, steam table oats, and whole oat groats that you mill yourself. Those are in ascending order of "hardcore." I like steel-cut the best. From rolled oats on and especially from steel cut on you have various methods for cooking, like overnight, pressure cooker, cook on a pot, soak overnight then cook in pot or microwave in morning, etc.

That covers texture. For flavor you have lots and lots of options. My go-tos include these or some combination or these: plain, cinnamon with or without sugar, dried fruits, turmeric + black pepper (+ cardamom + maple syrup + dried dates), frozen fruits, coconut milk + mango, fresh fruits (like bananas, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, blackberries, raspberries), peanut butter, coconut, nuts, Indian style (example one, example two, example three), Indian style uttapams (example, another example), plus anything you'd do to congee.

You can also use oatmeal to make homemade granola or meusli.

Another option is potatoes. These can be cooked in a variety of ways. My favorite is hash browns. This pretty much describes my process. There's also this other style of hash browns. You can also do breakfast potatoes (dice + shallow fry), I have a friend who eats baked potatoes for breakfast, and in India people often eat potatoes for breakfast either in masala dosa (example recipe) or poori bhaji (example recipe).

Another option is semolina/cornflour/whatever (it goes by various names). You can use it to make harcha (great with jam, Nutella, margarine, peanut butter, whatever), baghrir, Jamaican porridge, 热搅团 (cornmeal porridge in sour soup) (no online recipe, sorry), couche couche (with a non-animal milk), or harira (again with a non-animal milk).

Another option is cream of wheat also confusingly called semolina in some places (India). You can make cream of wheat itself (i.e. mix it with water or milk and cook), or things like onion rava dosa, upma of various kinds, etc. Google can find your ecipes.

There are many breakfasts you can make with rice. E.g. this, this, and congee, a Chinese rice porridge which you can make in a thousand ways. Toppings/mix ins include a variety of pickled and normal vegetables, various sauces (chili oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, etc.), crispy fried shallots, fermented tofu, green onions or chives, mushrooms of various kinds, etc. Google's your friend.

Silken tofu can be used for some Chinese breakfasts. Two recipes are here.

Pancakes and waffles are easily vegan. And there are a million things you can do with those.

Ful medamas is maybe my favorite breakfast in the world and it's vegan. Lots of variety there too in terms of what you add.

Toast is easy and admits of a lot of variety. My favorites are whole wheat, sourdough, and pumpernickel, but obviously you have lots of options. For toppings you can do stuff like avocado, tomato + hummus + sprouts, Nutella, peanut butter (+ fruits), baked beans, whatever.

A slice of a sweet bread, like banana bread, zucchini bread, or pumpkin bread, heat up in a toaster oven, is great. Ditto for muffins.

Bagels and their many toppings are a good quick option.

It's too expensive for me but lots of vegans like to start off with chia pudding for breakfast.

Besan cheelas have already been mentioned but those can be made in a thousand different ways.