Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

tuyop posted:

I’m looking to make tacos next week. I’m pretty comfortable and happy with chickwheat based on this recipe, but I can’t seem to find something similarly delicious for ground beef.

I’ve tried strict seitan ground beef before and it’s just kind of gross and like, bread or bean curd. Maybe I just don’t have a good recipe but I’ve tried a few over the years. Anyone have any recommendations? Maybe green lentils are the way to go?

A taco please near switched over to a fully vegan menu a few years before changing owners and switching back, but they kept a few of the more popular vegan things. One of those is was a taco with a crushed walnut-based filling-- I'm slightly allergic to walnuts so I never really ordered them but a lot of my friends went nuts over them and my wife gets them every time we order from there.

In my opinion they're tasty enough that I'll always have a bite even though the walnut's no good for me. It's visually almost exactly like a ground beef taco, flavorwise it's pretty much on par, and the texture, I think, is actually much nicer, chewy but with a lot of nice little crunchy surfaces.This looks pretty close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

There's a local Mexican place that has a vegan menu and their soyrizo tacos are one of the best things I've ever eaten

https://www.friedas.com/products/soyrizo/

They also do an onion taco that is just regular street taco fillings with grilled onions and they're incredible. Their food cart that was near my old work closed down and I'm not going to lie I took that into account when I quit the job

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

Most people pick the beef out of their tacos to get at the delicious black beans. Don't worry about trying to replicate something and just own up to the fact that beans are best.

I respect this but I think this

kazr posted:

There's a local Mexican place that has a vegan menu and their soyrizo tacos are one of the best things I've ever eaten

They also do an onion taco that is just regular street taco fillings with grilled onions and they're incredible. Their food cart that was near my old work closed down and I'm not going to lie I took that into account when I quit the job

Is kind of what I’m going for. Like just some textural fatty-proteiny addition to the beans and rice and cheese. Especially for meat-eater guests

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

kazr posted:

Oh yeah soy chorizo stuff is really good too. I usually get the Trader Joe's brand which is quite salty-- not like, agonizingly so but if you're cooking with it you probably won't want to add any more.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I guess textured soy protein as a 1:1 ground beef replacement is what you want, but in this thread were obligated to try to make you consider the tastier and more interesting alternatives. Eating vegan is more fun, tastier and plain healthy when you don't fall back on ready-made meat replacements!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ok, for more of a less 1:1-centric suggestion I really like zucchini blossom tacos, lightly fried with just a little tiny bit of seasoning. I've never made them myself but I've also had some really good huitlacoche tacos-- I think you can get huitlacoche canned? It has a great, complicated earthy flavor. In terms of easier to find ingredients, one of my favorite lazy meals is just simple tacos de papas. Either nice biggish chunks usually with corn and black bean salsa, or mashed and fried up like tacos dorados. When zucchinis are in season I also love some blackened zucchinis as a taco base, for a similarly "I am biting into a distinct and beautiful thing" feeling in colder weather I like to roast king oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced. To say nothing of good old black bean tacos, or just sauteed onions and peppers.

Cauliflower is also one I see a lot but honestly I have not had a lot of it. Typing that out reminds me of some really great shaved brussel sprout tacos I made a few years ago. They weren't fancy or anything but I was surprised by how much I liked the texture and the nuttiness of the brussel sprouts alongside all the normal taco accoutrements.

I really like tacos and if I have some ingredients that I want to use up just throwing them in a taco is usually my first resort.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 24, 2020

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
My goto is chopped button mushrooms and fried black beans that you slightly crush. Fry some onion, garlic and maybe a chili pepper first then add the mushroom and beans.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I used to live near an authentic mexican joint that did a bunch of different vegan tacos. Squash blossom, zucchini, huitlacoche, black beans and roasted corn. All kind of delicious tacos. Now I want tacos.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

tuyop posted:

I’m looking to make tacos next week. I’m pretty comfortable and happy with chickwheat based on this recipe, but I can’t seem to find something similarly delicious for ground beef.

I’ve tried strict seitan ground beef before and it’s just kind of gross and like, bread or bean curd. Maybe I just don’t have a good recipe but I’ve tried a few over the years. Anyone have any recommendations? Maybe green lentils are the way to go?

Shredded brussels sprouts sauteed with whatever taco seasoning you like. Seriously - it sounds weird, but it's in a Chloe Coscarelli cookbook and my family has fallen in love with it. The whole recipe is awesome - she serves it with pickled red onions and a cashew cream cilantro sauce and it's amazing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you're looking for a 1:1 replacement TVP or crumbled tempeh is your best best texture wise.

I really like cauliflower tacos. If you want an easy recipe you can make a quick batter out of chickpea flour, your favorite spices, and water. Then either bake them or fry them. It's pretty customizable so you can do stuff like add breading or toss them in various sauces after cooking them. I'm a huge sucker for buffalo cauliflower. If you season your chickpea flour mixture with some coriander powder, fennel seed powder, carom seed powder, chilli powder, some coriander, and fenugreek leaves; you have the batter to make pakora.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Now I want tacos.

:hmmyes:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

tuyop posted:

If your seitan is too soft it's because the gluten is underdeveloped. You really have to hardcore knead it or put it on a bread hook mixer or something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I use the soy chorizo in chilis. It isn't really a substitute for meat at all when cooked that way but really adds an interesting texture to the fish

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Cephas posted:

What are your laziest meals that are still reasonably healthy? I'm talking on the level of like, rice with a fried egg on top or some leftover rotisserie chicken shredded onto some lettuce, in terms of effort. I just have not had much psychological energy for cooking lately, especially because I like to cook for people and I'm stuck isolating. Give me your lazy-rear end survival vegan meals please. Apologies if this is covered on an earlier page.

Also, does anyone else feel gross eating grocery store hummus? Either the preservatives or the oil content in stuff like Sabra hummus always upsets my stomach.

Peas and sweetcorn
Pasta
Gravy (the cheap granule kind)

Mix it all together for the poverty food of champions

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Frying up frozen corn in a skillet, no oil, takes those beautiful kernels into the next level

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

When it comes to lazy cooking, I often just open a can of chickpeas, rinse them, then fry them for a while with smoked paprika and other spices. Eat with whatever or just by themselves, it's all good.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’m in the process of moving, and it sucks. Most of my kitchen is in the new place, but internet hasn’t been connected there yet. So at the old place, I had all the fridge crap.

In a bowl, I combined some tomatoes that I chopped up with 2 cloves of garlic (chopped small), salt, a spot of oil, and black pepper. In it went to the microwave for 6 minutes, then stir and go another 4 minutes. While that was cooking, I chopped up some tofu. Microwave beeped, and I pulled out the curry base and mixed it with the cubed tofu. Let that go for 4 minutes. Tossed in some frozen peas and frozen corn.

It is an utter loving delight.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I had the pleasure of cooking up https://minimalistbaker.com/8-ingredient-zucchini-lasagna-gf/ tonight and it was drat good. I'm probably going to add in a bit of garam masala and garlic powder to the mix, but outside of that it was even better than I had been hoping.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
What's the cashew for in all those cashew based sauces? Is it for taste, texture, or more for something like adding fat? In this case could one substitute it for something like coconut oil + some spices? Loooots of vegan sauces use them and they're just so pricy and it feels kinda arbitrary.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think it's just because they're so high in fat so they help out with a creamy texture, and the vaguely sweet taste is nice in a lot of savory sauces and things. I don't know if you'd be able to get exactly the same kind of creaminess with something else but I imagine there are alternatives for people with nut allergies. I agree they're pretty expensive, I only keep them on standby for a handful of dishes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Colonel J posted:

What's the cashew for in all those cashew based sauces? Is it for taste, texture, or more for something like adding fat? In this case could one substitute it for something like coconut oil + some spices? Loooots of vegan sauces use them and they're just so pricy and it feels kinda arbitrary.

It's all 3 of those, and they have a fairly neutral but sweet taste. You can generally use whatever nuts/seeds you have on hand as a substitute. I like sunflower/pumpkin seeds. The only catch with pumpkin seeds is that your resulting product will be green but still very good.

If you have an indian store nearby you can buy pieces of cashews for a substantially cheaper price than whole ones.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Interesting, I'll give sunflower seeds a shot. Seems much more environmentally friendly too.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah sunflower seeds can be nice (although I haven't tried them in a creamy sauce recipe before). One nice thing is that they take to pan-roasting very well and develop a strong meaty/nutty taste. Goes well in like a broccoli salad or something like that where it can add some savory character.

I've been snacking on them a lot recently too. I get a russian brand (babkiny or "grandmother") which I like a lot more than the usual kind I find in the US. I think they may be some oil-type sunflower seed, or at least a hybrid, since some are noticeably oily, all-black seed coat, and thin-shelled. They're way easier to crack and eat than the big striped kind. The sunflower also takes up proportionally more of the seed as well so they're more dense. I kind of feel like a bird eating them sometimes though.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I've seen some recipes that use white canelli beans instead of cashews. I subbed out most of the cashews, but not all, and replaced them with the beans and it turned out really good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I've ever had a sauce that used cashew as a substitute for a non-vegan ingredient that didn't taste horrid

Could be I'm just using the wrong ones. Or maybe I just don't like cashew sauces

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've had some pretty tasty ones but the idea they can replace swiss fondue or whatever is a bit ridiculous.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Made some Gobi Manchurian, an indo-chinese meal that I had never heard of, basically battered cauliflower stir fry:

https://www.cookwithmanali.com/gobi-manchurian/

It's really really good if a little fiddly as it requires some deep or shallow frying and battering, but will do again.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
There are TONS of traditional vegetarian taco fillings that could be easily made vegan by not using cheese or lard, gently caress meat substitutes.

Quelites, corn smut, zucchini, potato and salsa roja, avocado, beans, dry fideos, chili and garlic, cactus, squash blossoms, agave blossoms, hibiscus blossoms (and many, many other blossoms), moles, toasted seeds, beer battered brocolini to name a few, not to mention the millions of combinations of different salsas and chiles to add to any of these, or combine beans with avocado, or add fried serranos and caramelized onions to the corn smut, chorizo spices with the potatoes.. no need for soyrizo.. its guajillo, ancho, garlic, cumin, vinegar, salt, chile de árbol and there you go __izo all the things.

I'm not even close to vegetarian, but I'd eat the crap out of any of these any day and would probably pass on the soyrizo or cauliflower whstever ones, heh

ogarza fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 20, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

ogarza posted:

There are TONS of traditional vegetarian taco fillings that could be easily made vegan by not using cheese or lard, gently caress meat substitutes.

Quelites, corn smut, zucchini, potato and salsa roja, avocado, beans, dry fideos, chili and garlic, cactus, squash blossoms, agave blossoms, hibiscus blossoms (and many, many other blossoms), moles, toasted seeds, beer battered brocolini to name a few, not to mention the millions of combinations of different salsas and chiles to add to any of these, or combine beans with avocado, or add fried serranos and caramelized onions to the corn smut, chorizo spices with the potatoes.. no need for soyrizo.. its guajillo, ancho, garlic, cumin, vinegar, salt, chile de árbol and there you go __izo all the things.

I'm not even close to vegetarian, but I'd eat the crap out of any of these any day and would probably pass on the soyrizo or cauliflower whstever ones, heh

I had a califlower-wallnut taco filling suggested in this thread (I think), that was amazing. Making vegan mexican food is surprisingly easy.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
This is my go-to vegetarian taco.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a18655/roasted-sweet-potato-black-bean-tacos-recipe-opr0212/

Use sweet potatoes, green bell pepper, onion, black beans, etc., and skip the cheese or use a substitute. Sweet potato tacos are heavenly.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Was talking to my friends about vegan tacos, what are the thoughts on insects? Gusano de maguey, escamoles, crickets? Eating insects kills less animals than eating plants.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Probably depends on why you're vegan in the first place

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

ogarza posted:

Was talking to my friends about vegan tacos, what are the thoughts on insects? Gusano de maguey, escamoles, crickets? Eating insects kills less animals than eating plants.

What's the point? It's not like insects have some essential nutrient that I can't get from vegetables.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

gay for gacha posted:

What's the point? It's not like insects have some essential nutrient that I can't get from vegetables.

They are more nutritious and sustainable, and you kill less animals by eating insects than plants, isn't that a big part of being vegan? They are also quite tasty when prepared correctly.

Eat a worm, or eat a potato and kill 2 worms and a mole?

Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread, just a question I had if it was acceptable to prepare insects or not, no need to get triggered.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011

ogarza posted:

They are more nutritious and sustainable, and you kill less animals by eating insects than plants, isn't that a big part of being vegan? They are also quite tasty when prepared correctly.

Eat a worm, or eat a potato and kill 2 worms and a mole?

I would be interested to read your sources on any of this. Feel free to PM me.

Regardless of their ecological impact, insects fall in the kingdom animalia, so definitionally are not vegan food.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where exactly is this mythical 1:1 potato:mole population?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can give up eating meat, and I can even stick with a low-carb WFPB diet--and im sure that in 200 years people will look at mammals eating mammals as a cousin to cannibalism--but folks, eating insects for me is just too loving far

Edit - that said, if it's your jam, I respect the courage to do it, and insects will probably be a very large food resource in our upcoming climate-changed hellworld. Might be worth it's own thread? Seems like one of those things thats a novelty now but has a relevance in 2030.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 5, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
We're in Goons With Spoons and this is the vegan thread for vegan food, not for talking about ethics or harvesting potatoes or insects or whatever the gently caress. Post FOOD in here. Here's some vegan food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXklaeENmaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAd9W0lWW4

https://www.manjulaskitchen.com/masala-bell-pepper-curry/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/mushroom-stir-fry/

http://dooneyskitchen.com/akara-osu/

https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/schiacciata-recipe

https://www.sugarandgarlic.com/taro-in-cilantro-and-chard-stew-egyptian-colcass-stew/

https://www.justonecookbook.com/vegetarian-udon/

https://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-lemongrass-chili-tofu-dau-phu-chien-sa-ot-vegan/

https://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-spicy-tofu-dau-phu-sot-cay/

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/goan-kaju-curry-recipe-goan-style-cashew-gravy

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/masoor-dal-ghassi-recipe-lentils-in-tangy-coconut-curry

https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/08/corn-coconut-soup/

https://www.justonecookbook.com/pickled-cucumbers-and-myoga/

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I made some vegan chirps and guac

Mod edit: There was a picture of guac covered in insects here. It is gone now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 8, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

TychoCelchuuu posted:

We're in Goons With Spoons and this is the vegan thread for vegan food, not for talking about ethics or harvesting potatoes or insects or whatever the gently caress. Post FOOD in here. Here's some vegan food:

I recently made This gobi manchurian recipe, and I liked it a lot

I think this thread recommended these Aloo hand pies which are one of my favorite things I've ever made, even though the effort amount was pretty high.

Anyone have any suggestions for squash preparations that aren't just "make soup" or "roast in the oven with some oil and spices"? I have a lot of butternut squash, and I'm tired of roasting it and serving it on various grains, delicious as that is. I've also made this curry, which was a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheCog posted:

I recently made This gobi manchurian recipe, and I liked it a lot

I think this thread recommended these Aloo hand pies which are one of my favorite things I've ever made, even though the effort amount was pretty high.

Anyone have any suggestions for squash preparations that aren't just "make soup" or "roast in the oven with some oil and spices"? I have a lot of butternut squash, and I'm tired of roasting it and serving it on various grains, delicious as that is. I've also made this curry, which was a hit.

Make some Mac and Cheese with that squash. I recently tried it and it was very very good.