Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

pahuyuth posted:

lawd have mercy that looks divine

I'm especially interested in the eggplant zucchini stew and za'atar flatbread. Can you share the recipes for those?
Here's the eggplant stew. This is the flatbread basically although I don't really measure things precisely.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

If it's okay, I'd like to request a few recipes from your latest selection too, Tycho. How do you prepare your spicy noodles, and what's the recipe for your garlic sauce?
Here's the noodles. The garlic sauce is just this thing although I leave out the sugar.

Colonel J posted:

Holy crap do you eat like that everyday??
Depends on the day, but generally yeah more or less. A lot of these things can either be made in bulk (all those stews, for instance, can last a week or more if you're cooking for one, which I usually am) or are extremely fast to make (the broccoli probably takes about 15 minutes, the spicy noodles take however long the pasta takes to boil, etc.). I like cooking and I like saving money, so I basically never buy prepared food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004
Interested party

Thanks. I've done missir wat before a few times but now I'm going to look up yetakelt wet, plus also mograbieh.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Dino's rad lemon rice (slightly burnt spices, I've never done it properly like that) with garlic and sesame veges and lentils.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gorgeous! I think pretty much everyone burns spices the first time through if they haven't grown up watching people cook 'em.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Made this the other day and it was sublime. I can't figure out why this was as good as it was. I make curry a lot, and comparatively it's such a simple dish.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/c...nd-coconut-soup

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Made some chickpea curry and bulgur today. I got it in under an hour, thanks to my trusty old Presto pressure cooker. The chickpeas had bad QA. Lots of messed up ones. Then after soaking there were a bunch with dark spots on them, which I've never seen before.

I put a little tamarind in it, about as much as I could squeeze out of 3 pods. Maybe not enough.

I used fine Bulgur since you can cook it just like couscous.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Depends on the day, but generally yeah more or less. A lot of these things can either be made in bulk (all those stews, for instance, can last a week or more if you're cooking for one, which I usually am) or are extremely fast to make (the broccoli probably takes about 15 minutes, the spicy noodles take however long the pasta takes to boil, etc.). I like cooking and I like saving money, so I basically never buy prepared food.

I'm impressed. I like all this stuff as well but I'm not very imaginative and tend to make the same stuff over and over. I think I'll start aping your stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

I'm impressed. I like all this stuff as well but I'm not very imaginative and tend to make the same stuff over and over. I think I'll start aping your stuff.
Well I make the same stuff over and over again too, I just don't take more than one picture.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Another food dump:

Breakfast - ful medames and harcha, which is a Moroccan flatbread made from semolina, salt, and water.

Stir-fried you choy / choy sum (two names for the same thing? I don't speak Chinese).

Another breakfast - congee.

Samosas with tamarind chutney.

Looks like chicken, right? Or at least fake chicken - both verboten in this thread. But no, I bought a bunch of different tofus at the Chinese market the last time I went shopping and I've been trying them out. This is stir-fried fried tofu.

Stir-fried sweet potatoes and "spiced" tofu which is actually just as flavorless as normal, but it has a very nice texture.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Whats your go-to method for sweet potatoes? I find them hard to get right .

Tactical Shitpost
Jun 13, 2016

"Taco" cups:
- webm: https://i.imgur.com/0O6EPrn.gifv
- text: http://www.wearesovegan.com/taco-cups/

Didn't really care much about the vegan side, just wanted to test out a sufficiently easy "party" food before doing a thing next week.

While making them i noticed i actually ran out of some spices, so instead of what's on the recipe I've used caraway, basil, chilli, turmeric and ginger (all already powdered, 1/2 tbsp each) plus 1/4 tbsp salt. Even though I've used pre-made tortillas and ditched the sour cream they turned out pretty great - super easy to make, very filling and with fantastic taste. Just don't move them too much because the tortillas have a tendency to break up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

Whats your go-to method for sweet potatoes? I find them hard to get right .
I don't do anything special. Those were cubed and stir-fried for a few minutes. The other things I'll often do are bake them, or microwave and mash them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tactical Shitpost posted:

"Taco" cups:
- webm: ---
- text: http://www.wearesovegan.com/taco-cups/

Didn't really care much about the vegan side, just wanted to test out a sufficiently easy "party" food before doing a thing next week.

While making them i noticed i actually ran out of some spices, so instead of what's on the recipe I've used caraway, basil, chilli, turmeric and ginger (all already powdered, 1/2 tbsp each) plus 1/4 tbsp salt. Even though I've used pre-made tortillas and ditched the sour cream they turned out pretty great - super easy to make, very filling and with fantastic taste. Just don't move them too much because the tortillas have a tendency to break up.

You might have better luck if you heat up the tortillas a bit first (microwave shortly so they're warm). They're more pliable then. And I'd bet they'd be even better if you got some oil in the muffin pan/on the tortillas.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Somewhat affectionately known to my family as Stereotype Salad:

Mostly wombok and spring onion with delicious extras and dressing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone tried to make Tempeh before? I want to give it a go again (first time I tried it with an alternate bean source which was probably a mistake for a first attempt).

I need a good source for the starter and a simple/cheap incubation chamber.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eeyo posted:

Has anyone tried to make Tempeh before? I want to give it a go again (first time I tried it with an alternate bean source which was probably a mistake for a first attempt).

I need a good source for the starter and a simple/cheap incubation chamber.
No, but I'm very interested in it, so if you end up figuring it out, please document your results! I think it looked like it wouldn't be much cheaper if I made my own, so the only benefit would be taste and fun and so on, but if yours ends up cheap too, that would be great to know.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, but I'm very interested in it, so if you end up figuring it out, please document your results! I think it looked like it wouldn't be much cheaper if I made my own, so the only benefit would be taste and fun and so on, but if yours ends up cheap too, that would be great to know.

Is that mostly the starter? I'd think the soybeans would be dirt cheap.

You can turn the fermentation into giving you some more starter, but you have to let it run long so the mould gets to its fruiting stage. Not sure of the exact details though.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Pumpkin pizza on pesto base. Been putting pumpkin in everything lately because the local fruit market somehow is selling pumpkins for 8c/kg. They're not even bad or going bad, they're just pumpkins?

In reality it was more like a huge toasted sandwich because I haven't figured out how to do pizza dough properly. Was pretty great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

No you're wrong

Zenithe posted:

Pumpkin pizza on pesto base. Been putting pumpkin in everything lately because the local fruit market somehow is selling pumpkins for 8c/kg. They're not even bad or going bad, they're just pumpkins?

In reality it was more like a huge toasted sandwich because I haven't figured out how to do pizza dough properly. Was pretty great though.

Main thing about homemade pizza dough is that you need a pizza stone, you need to let it heat up in the oven for a hella long time, and you need to roll the dough out as thin as possible. Also, don't worry about putting your toppings or sauce in the center, it will take care of itself, worry more about the edges.

«5 »