Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That’s when you see how much cheaper it is to buy in bulk and get carried away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happiness Commando posted:

500 grams of cinnamon is still an obscene amount

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It was supposed to be a kilo :v:

We go through it, with cinnamon-based teas, porridge and stuff in the mornings, partner made up a big jar of cinnamon sugar, that sort of thing. We normally use Ceylon because it's healthier? But this was cassia, for a stronger flavour and more occasional use.

I made parathas last night, using olive spread instead of ghee, and they came out pretty good for something I've never made before. Would recommend.

We had them with a leftover... I'm still gonna call it a curry, because it was a spicy sauce made out of last nights sauce, and things from the fridge and cupboard, of no particular region, recipe or demonination, and I can't think of any better way to define it.

Anyway.

https://holycowvegan.net/khasta-parathaparotta/

Pretty good!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I also buy my cinnamon in large quantities for oatmeal and smoothies, it’s my favorite spice so I use it when I can

One of my favorites anyway, top 5 for sure

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
During college I had a job working in the student union. I usually had the morning shift and I'd always get oatmeal for breakfast at the cafe. Then I would put an ungodly amount of cinnamon on it because they had a big shaker of the stuff in the cafe.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am doing a culinary around the world challenge this year, and I had to bust out my canning pot to contain the sheer amount of veggies called for in this recipe for Chop-Up I finally settled on (mainly because all the recipes I could find are along the same lines, this one was just enough to make me several servings worth in one go).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
beenz

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Doughnuts, from this recipe:
https://www.christinascucina.com/perfect-yeast-doughnuts-sugar-filled-jam-nutella-cream/

I used soy milk and lemon juice instead of buttermilk, olive spread instead of butter and 3 tablespoons of aquafaba instead of eggs, and somehow they still came out fine. :v:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Marvelous! This is the recipe I usually use:

3/4 cups soy milk
1 1/4 oz vegetable shortening
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp ground flax seed
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
11.5 oz all purpose flour
canola oil for frying

1. Heat soy milk, shortening, salt, and sugar in the microwave, or on the stove, stirring regularly until shortening melts. Set aside.

2. Whisk flax into water. Let sit a few minutes, then whisk again until thick. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, mix together yeast and flour. Add soy milk mixture (making sure it is between 95 and 105 degrees F) and flax mixture. Mix together into a rough dough, then knead for about 5 mins until smooth, adding more flour or more water as needed to make a nice soft and tender dough.

4. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 60-90 mins, until doubled in size.

5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with oil.

6. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 3/8" thick. Cut out 2" circles with a biscuit cutter, then cut out a 5/8" centre. Or just eyeball/make larger/etc. Dough scraps (and holes) can be re-rolled and cut. Place on prepared baking sheet, spray with oil, and cover. Let rise for 1/2 hour.

7. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Fry donuts in batches (30-60 seconds per side) until golden, drain on paper towel or paper bags, then let cool on wire rack. Let fully cool before glazing.

They end up looking like this (if you glaze them):

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.christinascucina.com/perfect-yeast-doughnuts-sugar-filled-jam-nutella-cream/

I used soy milk and lemon juice instead of buttermilk, olive spread instead of butter and 3 tablespoons of aquafaba instead of eggs, and somehow they still came out fine. :v:

Great expansion on those. Might have to try this one out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I didn't have a cutter so I just made a hole in the center of the ball and then stretched them as you would bagels, and I didn't bother with the parchment paper step. :suicide: I'm honestly surprised they came out as good as they did. The bigger we stretched them, the better they were though.

Rolling them in cinnamon sugar and eating them with coffee made them go from good to amazing, even though I couldn't eat very much of those ones because sugar.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody know how good vegan ghee tastes? Also how storable is it after opening, the place here only sells 1kg cans. Not even sure if I have space in the fridge.
This kind of thing:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Fingers crossed this gluten free cake I have in my bread machine turns out. I am still dipping my toes into combing vegan baking with gluten free baking, and boy is a minefield of sad sad flat cakes and gummy bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I can't really tell because there's very little gluten in anything around here, but I think I might have developed a slight (moderate?) gluten intolerance in the past few years. If that's the case then I'm pretty sure I'll just be mostly done with baking rather than trying to figure out gluten free baking, for the same sort of reason I don't go for fake meets and cheeses. I'd rather have the best versions of food that are amazing in their own way rather than compromised versions of food trying to be something else and never quite getting there. (Which is also why I've never tried any of the fake ghees, so I can't say anything about that ghee question above, especially because that brand isn't sold here.)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Success. Apple Walnut cake modified from this recipe (just had to substitute for the eggs).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know how good vegan ghee tastes? Also how storable is it after opening, the place here only sells 1kg cans. Not even sure if I have space in the fridge.
This kind of thing:

I don't see why it wouldn't freeze just fine.

I hate the fact that when I put "vegan" or even just "sugar free" or "lactose free" into google it also gives me "gluten free, wheat free, no GMO grains, everything coconut all the time!" results, like these are all things jammed together and if you can't eat one then you can't eat any of them. It's like Famine from Good Omens is out designing food blogs now.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you can find Dalda, it’s a vegan ghee that Indians even use because the cow’s milk stuff is massively expensive in comparison. It’s pretty good in taste. Get it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I accidentally vegan a lot of my food these days, mostly because I'm cheap, but also paying attention to nutrition a bit better, and just aiming to get a variety of stuff in me. Found out a handful if years back that I have celiac disease, as does my daughter. It was her doing poorly as a toddler that got us screened. Anyhow, I came Kramering in here to share an accidental success.

B33rChiller posted:

Victory! My daughter's ever fluid tastes aligned with a hearty, nutritious dinner that worked even better as leftovers!
Coconut milk and water at 3:2, 1cup basmati rice, half can chick peas, half can black beans, minced onion, pinch of salt, couple diagonal cut carrots, 2 cloves minced garlic, all in 1 pot, bring to boil, stir, cut the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 min.
Served as cold slices for the second go round. "No Dad, don't fry it, I want to try it cold." Ok

It's simple as can be, but it got a kindergarten aged cheese junkie to eat her veggies. I'm real happy and wanted to share a simple joy.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Congrats on successfully feeding your child.
That sounds pretty tasty.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Birthday caaaaake.

The recipe I used. Well, except I didn't whip the coconut cream myself. That sounded a touch too much like work for my birthday, and I had a tub of Cocowhip in the freezer. The whole thing basically got lightning fast slammed into the fridge after taking the picture though, because said Cocowhip started immediately melting.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Behold some pretty neat cookbooks that you may be interested in:

Vegan Africa
Nistisima
The Vegan Chinese Kitchen
Vegan China
Vegetarian Chinese Soul Food

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Help, I need to bake a vegan cake or cheesecake recipe for 7 people people and I’m slightly freaking out. I usually don’t order vegan baked goods because, with a few notable exceptions, they perpetually disappointed me. What is the best recipe anyone knows of? It also has to be nut, citrus, chocolate, coffee, and vinegar free. Some acceptable flavors are hibiscus, pomegranate, cardamom, something I can decorate with candied violets, but I’ll take whatever I can get.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Behold some pretty neat cookbooks that you may be interested in:

Vegan Africa
Nistisima
The Vegan Chinese Kitchen
Vegan China
Vegetarian Chinese Soul Food

I actually got vegan Chinese kitchen from the library a while back when I saw it on the new books rack. It looked pretty good but I usually stir fry outside and it wasn’t warm enough so I didn’t make any of the recipes.

It had some interesting flavor/story text about her experiences learning vegan cooking in China which I enjoyed reading. Most of the recipes looked good too. They were different enough but still vanilla if that make sense. No weird veggie/flavor combos just because but definitely some things I hadn’t thought to try.

If I recall correctly it had a decent amount of greens recipes, which is good

She also had a lot of recipes for tofu skin (yuba) which I really want to try. I feel like having something with a nice chewy texture could go well with how I usually stir fry.

I’ll have to scoop that up from the library next time I go.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Question of my own:

Are there any brands of store-bought soy milk that could do a decent soy yogurt? I can get the silk yogurt for a starter, but it’s expensive so I’d like to try to make some.

I’m sure it won’t get too thick, but even if it ends up like kefir in consistency that would be perfectly fine for me.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Silken tofu is boxed tofu that actually works for this. Just blend it up and voila, soy pudding/yogurt depending on seasoning preference and firmness.

idea example: https://www.vegetafull.org/blog/tangy-tofu-yogurt

The same applied to any soymilk should be closer to kefir.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

kreeningsons posted:

Help, I need to bake a vegan cake or cheesecake recipe for 7 people people and I’m slightly freaking out. I usually don’t order vegan baked goods because, with a few notable exceptions, they perpetually disappointed me. What is the best recipe anyone knows of? It also has to be nut, citrus, chocolate, coffee, and vinegar free. Some acceptable flavors are hibiscus, pomegranate, cardamom, something I can decorate with candied violets, but I’ll take whatever I can get.

I'm not really a cake person; my go-to dinner party dessert is this medjool date tart.
I use oats instead of almond meal for the crust. Just blitz them until they're smashed up, but not oat flour, then proceed; liquid to dry ratio will need adjusting, obviously. Works great.

The only cakes I can personally endorse are
this ginger and carrot cake. Leave out the walnuts, or replace them with pumpkin seeds or raisins or something.
I also don't like frosting, so I serve it with a date and miso "salted caramel," made by blitzing dates (soaked in hot water for a bit) with miso and a bit of vanilla.

this apple cake.
Incredibly simple, very tasty. Jazz it up with some decorations or something.

Depending on your definition of "cake," a cassava and coconut cake usually goes down a treat. (Be sure to serve it warm).

Eeyo posted:

Question of my own:

Are there any brands of store-bought soy milk that could do a decent soy yogurt? I can get the silk yogurt for a starter, but it’s expensive so I’d like to try to make some.

I’m sure it won’t get too thick, but even if it ends up like kefir in consistency that would be perfectly fine for me.

I regularly make soy yoghourt. Using a vegan culture I bought online and using a scoop of store bought yoghourt as the starter seem to yield basically the same results.
It is not thick; pourable but... gloopy ? Like, it wants to stick to itself, if that makes sense.
I'm in Australia, and doubt you have the same soy milk options as us (if you happen to be in Aus, Woolworths' Macro Organic works the best, imo), but here's the relevant info:

I've tried with and without added oil and/or sugar, and it made very little difference.
Basically, from my limited experimentation, the only really important factor is the % of soy beans; higher is better.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pretty sure my partner has made cheesecake out of silken tofu, might be worth a google.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Can confirm that that is doable. I've only ever made citrus-flavoured ones, though.
And the texture is not like a traditional cheesecake, so if you're feeding people expecting the real deal, you might get some disappointment.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some more miscellaneous stuff from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/may/13/vegan-lebanese-stuffed-cabbage-leaf-rolls-wraps-vegan-recipe-stosie-madi

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/may/14/nigel-slaters-recipes-for-new-potatoes-with-asparagus-and-for-potato-and-thyme-tarts

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...s-pea-spaghetti

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/may/06/baked-garden-peas-vegan-braise-recipe-spring-onions-jersey-royals-stosie-madi

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/apr/23/nigel-slaters-vegetarian-and-vegan-soup-recipes-for-spring

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hi vegans, quick question: if I’m making instant pot chili with tvp can I just throw it in with everything else or do I need to make the tvp first?

I’ve had this bag of tvp for a year so I finally want to use it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Snowy posted:

Hi vegans, quick question: if I’m making instant pot chili with tvp can I just throw it in with everything else or do I need to make the tvp first?

in my experience I prefer to rehydrate it with some stock powder, then squeeze it out to help remove the flavor it already has, first. :-/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Awesome, thank you!!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
While not everyone's favorite, I've always liked TVP. I think it depends on what you want to make, it's versatile and what you're cooking is going to change the way you prepare it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Snowy posted:

You can toss it in with everything else in my experience, since it'll absorb the liquid in the chilli. I don't really know about cooking it in a pressure cooker though, it might become mushy?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I usually cook tvp by first toasting it in a good amount of oil with spices (normally chili flakes, thyme, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, allspice, fresh garlic). Then I add twice the volume of the tvp stock to the pan, maybe a hit of soy sauce and liquid smoke, and cook until it's absorbed all of the liquid. Cooking chili I'd maybe add this right at the end when everything else is ready or just toast with oil and spices and add to the pot. This works with all shapes of tvp but with big chunks you might have too much stock but that usually doesn't matter in the end.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I made a chili with TVP for an ICSA. I didn't cook it first.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Enjoy some miscellaneous recipes:

http://vegrecipesofkarnataka.com/751-heerekayi-gojju-recipe-ridgegourd-curry-kurma.php

http://vegrecipesofkarnataka.com/742-mavinakayi-neer-gojju-raw-mango-recipes-chutney.php

https://memoriediangelina.com/2023/06/03/spaghetti-allassassina-killer-spaghetti/

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jun/03/pea-broad-bean-and-caramelised-onion-filo-pie-vegan-recipe-chantelle-nicholson

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...s-pea-spaghetti

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/may/13/vegan-lebanese-stuffed-cabbage-leaf-rolls-wraps-vegan-recipe-stosie-madi

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Nettle Soup posted:

Thanks for the recipe, I made the vegan version last week (https://www.christinascucina.com/perfect-vegan-doughnuts-made-with-yeast-vegan-donut-recipe/). They were really easy to make and while my donut shaping is not quite there yet they were very tasty.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Awesome, they look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

For those of you like me who miss the best part of eggs, dipping sticks of buttered toast into runny yolks, my partner has found what I think is astonishing: an absolutely perfect egg yolk. Like this tastes exactly like an egg yolk. And you can make so much of it.

I know vegan replacements are frowned upon but this has literally changed my life

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-egg-yolk/

In other good vegan news, the crazy Oh She Glows Lady actually has a wonderful mac and cheese. Miso gives it the sharpness that so many others lack.

https://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/03/butternut-squash-mac-n-cheeze/