Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zenithe posted:

My local grocer had chestnuts for real cheap so I bought them. I'll probably roast them, but does anyone have any good recipes that use them?

Maybe something like this?

I had a chestnut pate at a restaurant recently and it blew my socks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Zenithe posted:

My local grocer had chestnuts for real cheap so I bought them. I'll probably roast them, but does anyone have any good recipes that use them?

Really good in with your Brussels sprouts. I think a similar thing would work for a summery salad as well as a hot dish.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

I made a chestnut and mushroom soup that I described in this post. It's a little sweet so you might want to balance that out depending on your tastes.

My favorite thing to do with chestnuts, though, is corn bread stuffing. I cook up some southern style cornbread (this is a slightly fancy recipe, this is the simpler one I usually use), let it cool, then chop it into cubes.

Then, I chop up some onions and celery. I saute them in some oil along with sage, thyme, marjoram, and rosemary, or whatever combination you like. Once they're soft/clear, I add them to a roasting pan along with the cornbread croutons, some vegetable stock, some dried cranberries, and some crumbled/chopped roasted chestnuts. You can also add whatever other stuffing things you like. I like a dry stuffing so I don't add lots of stock, but if you like a wetter stuffing you can add more stock or cover it with aluminum foil. I bake it in the oven at a temperature that is probably different every time (depends how much you want to crisp up the cornbread) until it's absorbed + lost however much liquid you want it to absorb + lose. Great stuff! Not so much a summer recipe though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
More food:

Making a lot of pies, both to use up my pastry flour and my shortening and because I won't be making many pies in India, I suspect. This is a peach basil pie.

Breakfast: congee topped with Chinese pickled mustard greens, shallots, and garlic. And coffee.

Lemon rice.

Dan dan noodles.

Cabbage stir fry. Different recipe from the 1 or 2 other times I've posted a cabbage stir fry in this thread I think.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
So I've been doing a bit of volunteering for an upcoming election lately and the other volunteers I'm mostly with are two vegans and a guy who can't eat gluten. After what happened last week (pizza company made the most unappetising gluten-free vegan pizzas), I thought I'd make something to share that ticks all the boxes.

So I made this vegan red lentil stew. I've made it a few times before, it doesn't look like much but the taste is good.

I used 1.5 cups lentils and did half a teaspoon of smoked paprika and half of regular paprika. Not sure why the recipe I wrote down says 1.5 cups lentils, but eh, it's fine, lentils are good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Similar to that, I've made this Moroccan chickpea and lentil soup a number of times and have been very happy with it. You could sub gluten free pasta for the orzo.

https://www.mastercook.com/app/Recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=16681758

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

froglet posted:

I used 1.5 cups lentils and did half a teaspoon of smoked paprika and half of regular paprika. Not sure why the recipe I wrote down says 1.5 cups lentils, but eh, it's fine, lentils are good.

The fact it asks for a tablespoon of cumin and a teaspoon of paprika makes me think they got their spoons mixed up. I mean, I'm happy with a tonne of cumin, but most recipes don't call for anywhere near that.

e. I mean, if it tastes good who cares.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Made a batch of red red:

And really need to do plantains more often. :yum:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

As a dude, do I need to worry about eating too much soy? How much is too much before I start turning into a eunuch?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can't eat an amount of soy that is harmful to you. Anyways, this is not a nutrition thread, it's a food thread. Go find doctors to ask or something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

As a dude, do I need to worry about eating too much soy? How much is too much before I start turning into a eunuch?

All of that is bullshit. Isoflavones mimic estrogen in some ways but they have no apparent effect on male fertility, whether it has any effect at all (maybe through baby food, but there's no conclusive research) . It's misinformation spread by infowars and other crazy people.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Zenithe posted:

The fact it asks for a tablespoon of cumin and a teaspoon of paprika makes me think they got their spoons mixed up. I mean, I'm happy with a tonne of cumin, but most recipes don't call for anywhere near that.

e. I mean, if it tastes good who cares.

It tastes fine? Like I'm usually wary of anything that calls for a whole tablespoon of some spice but it seemed to work out okay. I fed it to my volunteering buddies and they asked if they could take home leftovers... So it must have been ok and my tastebuds aren't just crazy.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Zenithe posted:

chestnuts, bacon, brussel sprouts

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

froglet posted:

It tastes fine? Like I'm usually wary of anything that calls for a whole tablespoon of some spice but it seemed to work out okay. I fed it to my volunteering buddies and they asked if they could take home leftovers... So it must have been ok and my tastebuds aren't just crazy.

A tablespoon of cumin seeds, which are then toasted and ground isn't a huge amount for a big pot of something that makes enough to feed a crew of workmates.
Though you got to be aware as an aussie that our tablespoons are bigger than US or whatever country the recipe comes from. US standard tablespoon is 3 tsp/15ml. Aus standard tablespoon is 4tsp/20ml for some dumb CWA reason.
E: should be right if you bought your measuring spoons from china :D

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 5, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fo3 posted:

US standard tablespoon is 3 tsp/15ml. Aus standard tablespoon is 4tsp/20ml for some dumb CWA reason.

:aaa:

I did not know this. I learn't cooking basics from my mum, who you guessed correctly, taught me things from the CWA cookbook (to which my grandmother contributed recipes).

Seriously though, why?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The original british tablespoon was 18ml, we rounded up while everyone else rounded down.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate anything but litres and kilos and their derivatives

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

I hate anything but litres and kilos and their derivatives

YEAH BOI SING THE ANTHEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOp7YXYqvc

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
More food:

Using up some gram flour/besan/chickpea flour that I have, I've made some breakfasts:

Besan cheela

Socca

For the 4th of July, I made some food. I forgot to take a picture of the very tasty coleslaw, unfortunately, but it was basically this. I also made:

Potato salad

Hamburger buns. These were for some burgers which I'm only linking on the down low cuz I guess they're sort of fake meat (but they tasted great). The buns were fantastic too. I made these with soy milk and less sugar and everyone loved them. They also toasted up on the grill much better than the store-bought ones, which went from untoasted to burnt very quickly.

Plus some misc food:

Ugly pesto pasta because some of my friends gave me a basil plant and I wanted to use up a lot of it. It turns out you need way more basil for pesto but it tasted fine I guess. Also a nice way to use up some walnuts that I have sitting around.

Stir-fried Taiwan bok choy. I blanched it a little too long but it still tasted great.

Thai potato curry from this excellent book. Using up the galangal and the lemongrass that I have left.

Chocolate chip cookies from this fancy new Serious Eats recipe. It's more work than the ones I usually make (from the cookbook Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar). I think I like the cookies I usually make more, although I've made them so often that I've gotten the recipe down to a science, so maybe if I made the Serious Eats cookies way more I'd end up liking them more. Everyone who tried them loved them, so it might just be me. One thing I did like about the recipe is the part where you blend oats to make an egg replacer. That worked surprisingly well.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Any good lemon grass recipes. Bought some stalks and never used it before and don’t want it to go bad.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Volunteering again, so today in "I never want to eat gluten free vegan pizza ever again" I made smokey black bean and quinoa salad to share with some veggie rolls.

Dressing:

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
0.5 tsp cumin
0.5 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper (about 0.5 tsp, but do what you like, I'm not the boss of you).

Whisk all these things together.

Salad:

1.5 or 2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 capsicums
However many spring onions you like (I use about a quarter of a bunch)

Cook quinoa according to packet or internet instructions and let it cool. Mix in black beans and capsicum. Pour dressing into the mixture and mix some more.

Veggie rolls:

I got a sweet potato and cut it into sheets. (I have a vegetable sheet cutter coz I love hippy stuff like that) then made little "sushi rolls" containing cooked pumpkin, onion and sweet potatoes, with raw spinach and capsicum. Served with gluten free and vegan chilli-lime dressing.

I like the rolls, they're definitely more interesting than a salad, but YMMV, I don't make them very often. Other stuff that works well in them - crunchy stuff like cabbage (I suggest spicey coleslaw ones with a vinegar-based dressing), or you can sheet cut a zucchini and do hummus and broccoli ones or something. I usually make them out of whatever I have lying around.

One of the other volunteers thinks it's funny it took a few weeks of pizza to make me crack. But at least he likes it, and he's not even the coeliac or one of the vegans!

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Adding to pizza chat: people need to give cheeseless (and cheezeless) pizzas a chance! Probably the most impressive dish I've ever served guests was a rosemary potato pizza. It's thin-sliced yellow potatoes tossed in olive oil and spices and layered on a crust. That afore-linked blogger also has a very good crust recipe.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any good lemon grass recipes. Bought some stalks and never used it before and don’t want it to go bad.
You can freeze it and it'll stay good for a long time. That's where my lemongrass is. The cookbook I linked has lots and lots of lemongrass recipes, and practically any Thai cookbook will be similar.

accord posted:

Adding to pizza chat: people need to give cheeseless (and cheezeless) pizzas a chance! Probably the most impressive dish I've ever served guests was a rosemary potato pizza. It's thin-sliced yellow potatoes tossed in olive oil and spices and layered on a crust. That afore-linked blogger also has a very good crust recipe.
Looks like this pizza except I like adding onions.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 10, 2018

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

accord posted:

I was in Turin once and had a white pizza with mountain potatoes, rosemary, chilli and pancetta and it was honestly orgasmic.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 11, 2018

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I need to collect more cheeseless pizza recipes for winter--it's too hot in my region to make pizza at home now. :saddowns:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's a list I just have sitting around in Evernote where I store my recipes:

Zucchini, Red Onion, Squash, Thyme, Pistachios

Caramelized onions, can of crushed tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, olives, basil, panko bread crumbs

Roasted red peppers, olives

Tomatoes, basil, olive oil

Asparagus, red potato, pesto

Zucchini, onions, kalamata olives, pine nuts, pesto, basil

Zucchini, red onions, cherry tomatoes, parsley

Pine nuts, eggplant, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, parsley

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

^Oooh neat ty! I also decided to make pizza in spite of my lovely hot weather: french bread loaves with pineapple and leftover cilantro pesto.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

accord posted:

I need to collect more cheeseless pizza recipes for winter--it's too hot in my region to make pizza at home now. :saddowns:

I did one with a vegan pesto base instead of red sauce, some weird mushrooms (a local grocery store has an amazing produce section) and smoked artichoke hearts.

Did the dough from scratch, I normally use honey instead of sugar, but since I was cooking for a vegan I used blue agave syrup.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

accord posted:

The potato pizza is great. Try adding some lemon juice on it aswell.

My fav pizza toppings are

Tomato sauce, garlic, olives, oregano, fresh button mushroom, onion.

I ate in Estonia and I guess it’s a proper marinara pizza (except the mushrooms) which shouldn’t include mozzarella.

e: When I go for pizza with friends I order whatever Vegetarian one they have and just tell them to omit the cheese and its great. Really not needed at all. Unless they offer a plant based slimy option.
The best place in the city use muhammara as a base insted of tomato sauce on their vegan pizza and holy poo poo you need to try that asap.

von Braun fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 10, 2018

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
In terms of pizza, tarte flambée aka Flammkuchen ("flame cake") might be of interest: Wiki page
And salt cake, a little unknown speciality from the village/region my mom is from (german text, very interesting, I might translate it for ya): http://www.patrimoineculinaire.ch/Produkt/Salzkuchen/9 It's basically bread dough, cream, plenty of salt, bacon and caraway (different article with some images).

Both of these are delicious, but a vegan variant would require replacing the cream/sour cream and obviously the bacon (just use different toppings, plenty of onions). For the salt cake, most of the flavor comes from the caraway anyway, and according to the article, it used to be eaten without cream in the past.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Pro white pizza tip: Rub curly kale or Cavolo Nero in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and smoked paprika, top the pizza with it, let it get juuuust crispy and brown at the edges, enjoy your smoky, nutty, salty, delicious white pizza. Also tahini with garlic, lemon, olive oil and blended toast nuts (I like cashew, almond or sunflower seed) makes a fantastic creamy white sauce to drizzle on the base.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Catfishenfuego posted:

tahini with garlic, lemon, olive oil and blended toast nuts

I'm not vegan and I'm also in Italy. I would rather this pizza than anything I can get here.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Still using up ingredients. Got about a month left before I move, and I don't have to eat everything because I'm giving away all my stuff and people will be happy to get ingredients, but I do want to use up much of it. I mean I still have like 8 cans of coconut milk left or something.

Khao Pad Kamin / Thai Fried Rice with Turmeric. Not actually using up anything except leftover rice here, I guess.

Massaman curry, from a homemade curry paste which used up some lemongrass and galangal. The curry itself used up some coconut milk.

Oats upma, not looking very appetizing but whatever. I'm trying to figure out what sorts of breakfasts I'll be able to cook with the ingredients I'll have on hand in India.

Tom ka soup, using up some more coconut milk, galangal, and lemongrass.

Enoki mushrooms via this recipe merely because I felt like eating lots of mushrooms. Which is why I also made:

Kung pao oyster mushrooms.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Made this

and this

Both were great. I had no idea if there are different types of szechuan peppercorns, but I got green ones and they smell really strongly of cedarwood.

Also, is there anything I can do with the white unused parts of the cabbage? I was just gonna make some stock otherwise.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

I had no idea if there are different types of szechuan peppercorns, but I got green ones and they smell really strongly of cedarwood.
Yeah, there are different kinds. I always use the red ones but you can use whatever.

Zenithe posted:

Also, is there anything I can do with the white unused parts of the cabbage? I was just gonna make some stock otherwise.
The thick hard white part at the center? I've never used it for anything beyond snacking on or feeding to my compost worms but you could probably cube it and use it sort like a heartier cabbage leaf. I do that with the inside of stalks of cauliflower.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There's loads of things you can do with the stalks of broccoli and cauliflower, not sure they carry over to cabbage hearts / stalks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
How much of a head of cabbage do you leave unused anyway? There's the woody part in the very middle, but that's not a lot

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

The recipe only calls for the soft green leaves, so there's a fair bit of the leaves from the base of the core.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Coleslaw perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

The recipe only calls for the soft green leaves, so there's a fair bit of the leaves from the base of the core.
I think that might just be a not very specific translation (the whole site is in broken English). The picture clearly shows they're using all of the cabbage except the hard white core (i.e. they're using all of the leaves), I think. At least, that's what I do, and it turns out fine. So, you can just make the recipe again, this time with the leftover leaves!