Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
After openly lamenting to a pal of mine, he sent me this from the Non-Dairy Evolution Cookbook:

quote:

Extra-Sharp White Cheddar is a semi-firm cheese with an extra-sharp cheddar flavor that continues to develop and intensify as it ages. It’s sure to please the most discerning sharp cheddar connoisseur. A food processor is recommended for initially breaking down the cashews and a high-powered blender is essential for the smoothest finished texture. This recipe yields about 12 ounces.

Ingredients:
 1 and 1⁄2 cups (7.5 oz by weight) whole raw cashews
 1⁄2 cup organic refined coconut oil
 2 T nutritional yeast flakes
 2 T mellow white miso paste
 1 tsp onion powder
 3⁄4 tsp dry ground mustard
 1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt or kosher salt
 1⁄4 cup Rejuvelac

Technique:
Soak the cashews for a minimum of 8 hours in the refrigerator with enough filtered or spring water to cover. Drain the cashews, discarding the soaking water, and add them to a food processor.

Remove the metal lid from the jar of coconut oil and place the jar in a microwave. Heat just until the solid oil liquefies, about 30 seconds to 1 minute (this will depend upon the solidity of the coconut oil). Alternately, place the jar in about an inch of simmering water and melt the oil in the same manner. Measure 1⁄2 cup and add to the food processor. Add the nutritional yeast, miso, onion powder, dry mustard and salt to the food processor. Process the contents into a paste, about 2 minutes.

Transfer the seasoned cashew paste to the blender, add the rejuvelac and process on high speed until completely smooth. The mixture will be very thick, so stop to scrape down the sides of the blender and push the mixture down into the blades as necessary. Use a tamper tool if provided with your blender to keep the mixture turning in the blades. Avoid continual processing for more than 2 minutes, as this can overheat the mixture through friction and potentially harm the culture.

Transfer the mixture to a clean container with a lid, cover and let the cheese culture at room temperature for 72 hours (warmer weather will accelerate the culturing process, so taste-test after 48 hours for the proper sharpness). The cheese will develop an “airy” texture during culturing. This is caused by the release of carbon dioxide gas during fermentation and is perfectly normal.

After culturing, line a round, square or rectangular container that will hold a minimum of 2 cups liquid with plastic wrap. Be sure to leave excess wrap hanging over the sides. The container will serve as a form to shape the cheese and the plastic wrap will help lift the cheese from the container after firming.

Stir the cheese until creamy and then transfer to the prepared form. Press the cheese mixture thoroughly into the form and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon as best you can. Cover and place the container in the refrigerator for 72 hours to firm and ripen.

To serve, simply lift the cheese from the form, remove the plastic wrap and slice as needed. Keep the cheese stored in the refrigerator wrapped tightly in plastic or in a zip-lock bag. The cheese will continue to develop flavor and become somewhat crumbly as it ages.

I looked up the rejuvelac recipe and holy poo poo this dude wrote 3 pages on how to make it.

quote:

Ingredients and supplies:
 1⁄2 cup dry organic wheat berries (raw wheat)
 filtered or spring water - DO NOT use tap water!
 1 quart mason jar (home canning jar)
 1 six-inch square of double layered cheesecloth and 1 lid ring
or 1 stainless steel or plastic sprouting lid (available in health foods stores or through the internet)
Technique:
First, before you begin, it is important that anything that comes into contact with the grain (your hands, utensils and containers) be washed thoroughly to prevent contamination of the culture. Cleanliness ensures efficient culturing of the grain (in other words, the lactobacillus bacteria will not have to compete with undesirable organisms).

To prepare the rejuvelac, place 1⁄2 cup whole wheat berries in a clean mason jar and fill with filtered or spring water (use 1 cup wheat berries to double the amount of rejuvelac). Do not use tap water as it may contain traces of chlorine which will prevent fermentation. Swirl the contents, let the grains settle to the bottom and carefully pour off the water from the jar.

Now fill the jar with filtered or spring water again, place a square of double-layer cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar and screw the lid ring in place (or use a sprouting lid). Let the grains soak at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours. DO NOT exceed 12 hours or the germ of the wheat can actually drown and die.

After soaking, thoroughly drain and discard the water by pouring through the cheesecloth or sprouting lid. Turn the jar on its side and gently shake to distribute the grains along the bottom. Place the jar in an area that will receive light during the day, but out of direct sunlight.

Twice a day for 2 to 3 days (until the grain sprouts), add filtered or spring water to the jar through the cheesecloth or sprouting lid, swirl, pour out the water and again shake to distribute the grains on the bottom and set the jar on its side. In the warmer summer months, rinse three to four times a day. You should see little tails emerging from the grains on the second or third day. There is no need to let the grains sprout further; proceed to the next step.

Once the little tails have appeared on a large percentage of the grain, rinse a final time with filtered or spring water. Fill the jar with filtered or spring water, place a fresh square of cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar and secure with the lid ring (or use a sprouting lid). If the amount of grain was doubled, pour approximately half the grain from the one jar into the second jar. Fill both jars with filtered or spring water and cover.

Set the jar(s) in an upright position, ideally in a cool place. Fermentation will take anywhere from 24 to 72 hours at room temperature.

The ideal temperature for fermentation is between 68°F to 70°F (which is the same ideal temperature range for preparing sauerkraut). At temperatures over 70°F, fermentation begins to accelerate and there is a risk of pathogenic bacteria overrunning the culture before the lactobacillus bacteria has had a chance to populate. At temperatures under 60°F, fermentation may not occur at all.

I have had the best results with fermentation during the cooler autumn, winter and early spring months. During cooler weather, the rejuvelac can ferment for the full 72 hours without becoming rancid. Longer fermentation at cooler temperatures produces a more potent rejuvelac with less chance of rancidity. In the later spring and summer months however, even when the house feels comfortable, the rejuvelac ferments much quicker, usually within 24 to 36 hours and there is still a risk of rancidity. Therefore, to reduce the risk of spoilage, place the jar(s) in the coolest area of your home during fermentation.

The liquid will turn slightly cloudy as the grain ferments. If you agitate the jar(s) gently, you will begin to notice gas bubbles rising from the grain. This is carbon dioxide being released as a by-product of fermentation. A small amount of foam may also collect near the surface during fermentation; this is normal.

Check the jar(s) every 24 hours and smell the mixture through the cheesecloth or lid. It should have a mild, earthy and grassy aroma; if at any point it begins to smell putrid, discard. You will definitely know if it has turned rancid, as it will have a distinct vomit-like odor.

How will you know when the culture is ready? After 24 to 72 hours of fermentation time (depending upon ambient temperature), the resulting culture should be releasing a substantial amount of bubbles when the jar is gently agitated. This is the best way to gauge its biological activity. Use a clean spoon and taste the liquid. The flavor should have just the slightest hint of lemon. If you have a sensitive palate, it may also feel slightly fizzy on your tongue, like a weak carbonated beverage.

When ready, pour the liquid from the grain jar(s) through the cheesecloth or sprouting lid into a clean container or pitcher with a lid, loosely secure the container lid in place and refrigerate. It is important to leave the container lid slightly loose since the mixture will continue to release small amounts of carbon dioxide gas and the resulting pressure needs to escape.

Discard the grain (preferably via composting or feeding to small animals). Rejuvelac can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks; however, fresh rejuvelac is more potent and it will begin to lose potency the longer it is refrigerated.

During refrigeration, sediment may form at the bottom of the container; this is normal. Simply decant the liquid for use in recipes and discard the sediment at the bottom. The liquid may also begin to darken slightly after a period of time in the refrigerator. This is also normal. However, if the rejuvelac begins to smell like vinegar, or develops a very strong sour taste, it has expired and needs to be discarded. Always test the flavor of rejuvelac for freshness before using in a recipe.

Some of my readers have reported success with freezing rejuvelac while still maintaining viability of the culture. While I recommend using fresh rejuvelac, freezing may be a storage option if you wish to experiment.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've made hundreds and hundreds of vegan latkes and I don't use any weird stuff like mayo or aquafaba or whatever.

Aquafaba is just the water from a can of beans.

scuz posted:

I looked up the rejuvelac recipe and holy poo poo this dude wrote 3 pages on how to make it.

Rejuvalac recipe is: read a few simple recipes, try it, it makes sour water, thats rejuvalac! Literally just being clean is the only rule.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Which tbf is quite weird since you can't really even make it yourself with dry beans since they need to be pressure steamed or summat like that

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Ras Het posted:

Which tbf is quite weird since you can't really even make it yourself with dry beans since they need to be pressure steamed or summat like that

Pasteurised in the can.

I beleive you can make it at home but after you remove the beans you reduce the liquid so it gets to the same "gluggyness"

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 11, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

I don't know how many latke recipes you're familiar with but it is typically pretty weird to put bean juice in latkes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ive never had latkes but as a kid i was always kinda envious at the idea of having as a holiday tradition of what i imagined were hashbrowns

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sufganiyot and latkes are basically the two best Jewish foods and they are also both traditional Chanukkah foods. All the other Jewish foods, especially the traditional ones, generally range from "fine" to "ummm" (like gefilte fish). Sufganiyot and latkes are also two of the traditional foods that are easiest to veganize, up there with tzimmes and stuff that's already vegan, like charoset. I miss very few foods as a vegan, since I was never a big fan of meat or butter or anything, but there is some nostalgic stuff I miss, like kugel, and some pretty good stuff that's not easy to veganize, like challah. Actually pretty much just challah.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ive never had latkes but as a kid i was always kinda envious at the idea of having as a holiday tradition of what i imagined were hashbrowns

Celebrating Hanukkah rules because it's literally a mitvah to eat a lot of oily food. Hella donuts and latkes.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
In an effort to eat more vegetables and less meat, we've started doing "meatless Mondays" and it's a good reminder about how many recipes we already know and like that happen to be vegan or vegetarian.

This may be old news to the thread (did not read the entirety) but I made a dynamite chocolate ganache tart and I wanted to serve it at a dinner party where some of the attendees are vegans, so I replaced the cream and butter in the ganache with coconut milk. It's amazing. I am eating way too much of it in the name of "science" (have to test it before the party, of course. Several times).

Recipe:

Equal amounts of:
Dark chocolate, chopped if not in chips
Coconut milk (I like Chaokah brand and, bonus, it's available by the case at Costco now).

Heat coconut milk to simmer. Pour over chocolate in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth and glossy. Pour into tart shell or do whatever you're doing with it, then refrigerate.

If you want the ganache thinner, use more coconut milk:chocolate. 1:1 makes a pretty firm ganache when cooled.

Bonus: coconut milk appears to have just over half the calories of an equal volume of heavy whipping cream, so I can eat more of this stuff.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
some* chocolate has dairy in it, (see post below) unless you're using some sort of vegan chocolate or fairly dark chocolate

Amp fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 12, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

chocolate itself has dairy in it, unless you're using some sort of vegan chocolate
Most good dark chocolate does not have dairy. If you're thinking "cocoa butter," that's not actual butter. For instance, Trader Joe's dark chocolate has no dairy.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Hmm. Interesting. I guess I was wrong on this one, I had no idea! I think the ones I randomly googled as "dark" weren't enough cacao percentage and still had milk fats in them.

Good to know and good to keep an eye out for.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I've always just used quinoa to make rejuvelac. Pretty straightforward. That non-dairy evolution cookbook is legit though (if a bit overly thorough). Much better/more consistent results that the miyoko one.

I make his recipe for pepper jack, Camembert, and Muenster (though I used smoked paprika to make it tastier) semi-regularly.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hmm. Interesting. I guess I was wrong on this one, I had no idea! I think the ones I randomly googled as "dark" weren't enough cacao percentage and still had milk fats in them.

Yeah some of the more mass-market chocolates (for example the hershey's special dark) have milk fat. But something like Lindt or Green and Blacks has a higher chance of being just cocoa and sugar (and emulsifiers sometimes).

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Taza chocolate is vegan and comes in lots of interesting flavors. I used to live near the factory in Somerville, MA, and would take the tour every once in a while. They STUFF you full of chocolate. Highly recommend.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Ghiradelli's 72% dark and above is vegan as well. Really came in handy when I received a Ghiradelli gift card, I bought bags of that and some cocoa powder.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Eeyo posted:

Yeah some of the more mass-market chocolates (for example the hershey's special dark) have milk fat. But something like Lindt or Green and Blacks has a higher chance of being just cocoa and sugar (and emulsifiers sometimes).

I did have to compare labels on a few different brands of dark chocolate before I found one that didn't have dairy, but it was doable.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dr. Chaco posted:

I did have to compare labels on a few different brands of dark chocolate before I found one that didn't have dairy, but it was doable.

There is a surprisingly large quantity of dark chocolate that isn't vegan.

Imo the best choice is probably to make your own.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm excited to make my own mayo today, anyone here do this? Big Vitamix Energy baby, I also got a bunch of nuts to try out some creams/butters. Anyone have any vitamix recipes they care to share?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Making your own mayo is super easy and cheap.

I use this recipe usually:

https://www.theppk.com/2013/07/homemade-grapeseed-mayonnaise/

I also make cashew crema pretty often with my Vitamix. Soak 1 cup cashews in water for 4 hours, drain, toss them in Vitamix with 1 cup water, a dash of salt, a splash of lemon juice, and a bit of nooch. Run on high till everything is creamy with no little chunks. Add more water as necessary to get it to blend smoothly.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Imo instead of weird blends to make a bad imitation of mayo just whisk up a little tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and whatever flavourings you want into a much superior vegan creamy condiment.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Over the past few months I've been making a lot of the vegetarian recipes on Budget Bytes and it's been going very well since they're a good fit for how inexperienced I am at cooking. I'm starting to look for other good sources for vegetarian recipes and folks in the "General Questions" thread thought I should ask here. Any resources y'all could recommend?

Edit: Just to be clear, I know this is the vegan thread, but that fits what I'm after. What are your go-to vegan recipes resources for novice cooks? I would like to see them.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The OP has like 100 things. If you need even more I'm happy to oblige but I'm already worried the OP is overwhelming and I don't want to add even more if you're not even going to make it through the stuff I've already got listed. That would just be counterproductive.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

McCracAttack posted:

Over the past few months I've been making a lot of the vegetarian recipes on Budget Bytes and it's been going very well since they're a good fit for how inexperienced I am at cooking. I'm starting to look for other good sources for vegetarian recipes and folks in the "General Questions" thread thought I should ask here. Any resources y'all could recommend?

Edit: Just to be clear, I know this is the vegan thread, but that fits what I'm after. What are your go-to vegan recipes resources for novice cooks? I would like to see them.

Are you looking for just intros to cooking? I'd highly recommend indian food. It's a little daunting at first, but once you get the hang of the basics e.g. sabji, dal, etc you can basically make anything. There are a ton of resources out there. Only tidbit i'd recommend is using a lot less oil than those recipes call for :)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I guess I was wondering if there was anything else out there like Budget Bytes but maybe more vegetarian focused while still keeping things beginner friendly. Being under one "roof" the recipes all had a sort of cohesion that made it easy to move from one to anther. Like, once I had a collection of about 10 base spices I actually start going through them and having to buy new jars after a few month. That's never happened before. Usually I would use a spice for one recipe, it wouldn't turn out, and then it would just slowly turn to dust way back in my cabinets.

But I guess now's the time to move on and start picking and choosing recipes from different sources. I'll read through the recipes in the op which I really should have done at the start. Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

McCracAttack posted:

I guess I was wondering if there was anything else out there like Budget Bytes but maybe more vegetarian focused while still keeping things beginner friendly. Being under one "roof" the recipes all had a sort of cohesion that made it easy to move from one to anther. Like, once I had a collection of about 10 base spices I actually start going through them and having to buy new jars after a few month. That's never happened before. Usually I would use a spice for one recipe, it wouldn't turn out, and then it would just slowly turn to dust way back in my cabinets.

But I guess now's the time to move on and start picking and choosing recipes from different sources. I'll read through the recipes in the op which I really should have done at the start. Thanks!
Well, all those cookbooks and websites in the OP are exactly that. I'm not sure what else you are looking for.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Catfishenfuego posted:

Imo instead of weird blends to make a bad imitation of mayo just whisk up a little tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and whatever flavourings you want into a much superior vegan creamy condiment.

I usually do olive oil, tahini, nooch, lemon juice, salt and pepper as a generic tangy/roasty sauce to throw on almost anything.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Crakkerjakk posted:

I usually do olive oil, tahini, nooch, lemon juice, salt and pepper as a generic tangy/roasty sauce to throw on almost anything.

What proportions do you use? Gonna try this tonight i think.

EDIT: Tried it, it was good, used about a tbs of tahini, a tbs olive oil, half a tbs of lemon, some fresh thyme i had laying around and a little bit of salt and it was delicious.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 21, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tahini and miso is pretty good too. You get a nice creaminess from the tahini and a sweet fermentiness/savoriness from the miso. With vinegar it makes a good salad dressing for brassica (like a broccoli slaw or coleslaw).

I usually do it by feel, so toss some miso into a prep bowl, add vinegar/liquids to get a loose consistency, then add enough tahini to get the creaminess you want. It might thicken up a bit when you add the tahini.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

McCracAttack posted:

I have made several recipes from Cookie + Kate's blog...it's a vegetarian blog, but she has a good mix of veg/vegan recipes. My favorite recipe so far is her West African Peanut Stew.
https://cookieandkate.com/recipes/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Since I happen to have the links on hand for another reason, here are a bunch of Palestinian recipes, if (for instance) anyone wants to cook the sort of food Jesus was eating in order to celebrate his birthday.

https://www.thefooddictator.com/the...1575;&%231569;/

https://amiraspantry.com/palestinian-taboon-bread/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/rummaneyye/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/karawya/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/khobeizeh/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/makdous/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/red-bulgur/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/freekeh-soup/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/lentil-soup/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/okra-stew/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/zaatar-bread/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/bitter-orange-marmalade/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/mjaddara/

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/besara/

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012585-lebanese-tabbouleh

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/fattoush/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/warak_dawali/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/fool_bi_zeyt/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/fatayer_sabanekh/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/fasoolya_khadra_bi_zeyt/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/yakhni_sabanekh_ma_hummus/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/liffit/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/mana_eesh_zaatar/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/muhammara/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/mulukhiya/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/musa_akaa/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/salatah_arabeeya/

http://eatpalestine.com/recipes/umboota/

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/the-best-baba-ganoush-recipe.html

https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/vegetarian/stew-beans-bulgur-onions-mujaddara-fasoulia/

https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/mezza/potatoes-saute-garlic-cilantro-batata-kizbra/

https://tabkhetelyom.com/2013/03/10/lentil-with-dough-haraa-ousbaou/

https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/vegetarian/potato-sautee-onions-tomato-paste-batata-mleayeh/

https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/vegetarian/lebanese-vegetarian-potato-kibbe-recipe/

https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/mezza/gourmet-tangy-garlic-potatoes-recipe/

https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/mezza/marshoosheh-sautee-cabbage-recipe/

The haraa ousbaou is a slightly involved recipe since you make your own pasta cooked two ways, but the rest of it is relatively straightforward, and the dish is pretty interesting because it's sour and savory thanks to the pomegranate molasses/lemon and lentils + onions, mushy + crispy thanks to the lentils and baked pasta, very flavorful with a few simple ingredients, and doesn't require anything out of the ordinary pantry as long as you're equipped to cook Middle Eastern food generally.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

We made Isa's Chicky 'Tuna' Salad Sandwiches (http://archive.jsonline.com/features/recipes/226925961.html) today and they turned out amazingly good. I've been wishing for a good vegan sandwich which could really work as lunch, this fits the bill!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Feeling like real hot poo poo after getting this recipe dialed in... I can't stop making it. ITS SO GOOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ToDbeS8XU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
|
Sauteed onions, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, added hot pepper powder, added veggie stock, simmered for like 15 minutes, removed from heat, added ice cubes to cool it off, added the wrung out tofu and let it steep for 20 minutes, poured the whole thing through cheesecloth and wrung it out again, put the whole thing in the Cuisinart and added some vital wheat gluten to bind it together, heated oil to 320, formed wee nuggets, combined panko with paprika, salt, pepper, rolled wee nuggets in panko, fried till brown. Didn't have a recipe, utterly winged it while hammered drunk, turned out a-okay!

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

barbecue at the folks posted:

We made Isa's Chicky 'Tuna' Salad Sandwiches (http://archive.jsonline.com/features/recipes/226925961.html) today and they turned out amazingly good. I've been wishing for a good vegan sandwich which could really work as lunch, this fits the bill!

They're great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, I appreciate my family and my in law family making an effort to provide vegan food options at family gatherings, but come on there are more vegan options than hummus. I must have eaten 3 pounds of hummus over the last couple weeks.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I have gone vegetarian since a while. But I think I need some help.

So first, my objective is to be overall healthy, perhaps lose some weight, while not losing (too much) strength. I like to lift things, and measure my self-worth by the weight of these things. It seems that not eating ridiculous amounts of meat makes it more difficult for me to pick things up.

Is there a good book or recommended source that deals specifically with plant based gainz? Something better than buzzfeed top 10 list of protein dishes or whatever?

Some complications would be that Whey protein disagrees with me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

caps on caps on caps posted:

So first, my objective is to be overall healthy, perhaps lose some weight, while not losing (too much) strength. I like to lift things, and measure my self-worth by the weight of these things. It seems that not eating ridiculous amounts of meat makes it more difficult for me to pick things up.

Is there a good book or recommended source that deals specifically with plant based gainz? Something better than buzzfeed top 10 list of protein dishes or whatever?
I dunno, try this stuff:

https://veganhealth.org/vegan-weightlifting

https://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/veganfitness/

This is a food thread, not a nutrition/gainz thread or whatever so I'd suggest checking other sources.

Well, good news: it's not vegan anyways so you can't do plant based gainz with whey protein. There are plenty of vegan protein powders out there though. Trader Joe's has some.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I did red beans with brussel sprouts and rice, and a bunch of red bean-type spices with some orange juice, and it’s good. But does anyone have any suggestions on what stuff pairs well with brussel sprouts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I can help here!

So, it is more difficult to eat properly for muscle building when vegetarian, but it is not impossible.

First of all, what flavor of vegetarian are you? If you still use dairy or eggs, there is zero problem. Just incorporate that into your diet.

So let's assume that you mostly aren't gonna want to use those. You need protein, complete protein. This is hard to get without animal source protein. Get used to quinoa and beans - the combination of both provides sufficient complete protein.

So, does that mean you now need to eat solely these things? Well, no, just make sure at least one or two meals a day are built around this. Also, seek out other 'complete' combinations.

To round it out, btw, brotein is not as important. Yes, you should get the minimal amount to not waste away and be able to build more muscle, but a gram per pound of bodyweight is actually more than necessary. The important macro you actually should focus on is carbs: they allow you to synthesize glucose for workouts, speed up recovery, and sugary carbs near workout spike your insulin, which is anabolic. Vegan food provides carbs to spare.

This doesn't apply if you're juicing. You'll need more protein then, since your body can actually use it that fast when juicing. Also, supplement creatine - everyone should for the neuroprotection, but vegetarian bodybuilders must.