Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Anyone have any good recipes for rhubarb? I have two plants that are really poppin off, I probably took 5lbs today. You won't be able to tell in a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Major Ryan posted:

Some recent weekend meals since I've not posted in a while.

Chickpea and turmeric soup from here. Very, very lemony. And too many shallots on top, if such a thing is possible.

Spanish tortillas with a pipirrana salad. No idea how authentic this was, but it was surprisingly easy to make and wasn't the disaster I expected it to be. Anything that required flipping is normally right out but this firmed up enough that I trusted it to hold together and it just about did.

And this Japanese curry for dinner last night which came out with a really rich texture and just the right amount of heat. Turned out that I didn't have any garam masala in (or, more likely, it's at the back of the cupboard and I just couldn't see it) so I mixed something together from memory and added some black mustard seeds and yeah, it all worked quite well.

Thanks for sharing! These all look incredible. I have a hard time plating or making my vegan meals look good sometimes.. getting the taste down though at least. Gonna make all of those!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

coolanimedad posted:

Ever thought to make your own fermented cheese? It’s really easy.

I'd like to know more!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

coolanimedad posted:

2 cups cashews
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegan yogurt or some other fermented fluid
Soak the cashews, either roasted or raw (I prefer roasted) minimum of 6 hours. Drain. Purée with the salt. After forming a paste, add the yogurt. Be sure not to blend it too much to avoid killing the culture. Transfer to sterile container. Age at least a day, much better two, even 3 if it’s cool. I add MSG and rock salt after it cultures. It stays good forever pretty much in the fridge. I use it every day. No need for all the gross fake cheese goop. Miyoko Schinner has a book, Artisan Vegan Cheese, if you want to branch out more. She has meltable ones (lots of oil in them basically) - i never cook with mine, I just top things I’ve made with it. You can use other nuts, mix and match, etc, to your hearts content. Blanched almonds can be a kind of ricotta or even brined as feta. Sunflower seeds are good. Cashew is the gold standard though. I make it in huge amounts and it never lasts long.

drat this sounds good, thank you!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

Speaking of Dino, I'm just making a pot of his raajma and my place smells heavenly, as promised. I've never made a proper curry from proper whole spices because my SO really just isn't into Indian cuisine and we usually go Italian or Mexican. I've been meaning to introduce a curry that isn't heavy on turmeric (she hates it, for whatever reason) and I think this might be the one to finally bring her around. :3:

Well that looks delicious, I think I'll make that today thank you

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Thunk posted:

It would not shock me to learn that half the stuff on that list was actually made using some obscure pig or cow by-product and I was the only one who didn't know. And I don't want to lie, especially not to the percentage of vegans who'd actually care.

Orange Juice
Ingredients:
Water, milk powder, orange juice concentrate

Segue posted:

Thanks for that! I know sometimes sugar has bone meal or something for processing but hell I've met vegans who didn't know most bagels have eggs in them so I tend to go for honest effort over militant elimination. Otherwise it gets exhausting.

You can look at the bottom of ingredients and it'll say contains MILK. The other thing you should look out for is gelatin. Besides that its pretty easy!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm excited to make my own mayo today, anyone here do this? Big Vitamix Energy baby, I also got a bunch of nuts to try out some creams/butters. Anyone have any vitamix recipes they care to share?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Feeling like real hot poo poo after getting this recipe dialed in... I can't stop making it. ITS SO GOOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ToDbeS8XU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Do you actually freeze your tofu before you use it? I've been pressing mine and leaving it over night but I'm always looking for more ways to prepare tofu. I fuggin love tofu

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

scuz posted:

Yep, twice if I have the time. (Wring it out, freeze it, thaw it, wring it out) x2, then massage whatever new flavors you want into it. Like put the tofu into the marinade and squeeze/press the tofu to make it suck up those flavors as if it were a sponge or something. Really helps!

Hmm I'll have to try it out, I think the confusing part for me is the wringing it out. I use extra firm generally and I feel like it would just fall apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The first thing someone asks me about what I just baked, every time: But what about the... good stuff... you know... butter?