Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Zenithe posted:

My local grocer had chestnuts for real cheap so I bought them. I'll probably roast them, but does anyone have any good recipes that use them?

Really good in with your Brussels sprouts. I think a similar thing would work for a summery salad as well as a hot dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Endless crumble because rhubarb crumble owns all other crumble! Compote it to add to yoghurt and custard.

BBC has a few savoury applications here that sound interesting.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is, for better or for worse, the vegan thread, so I am not sure that these suggestions are particularly apposite.

...Oops, I had many tabs open and thought I was posting in the general questions thread!

Alpro custard is still pretty legit, and dairy-free yoghurt too. The drinks and jams/chutneys still stand as well!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

wuggles posted:

I did red beans with brussel sprouts and rice, and a bunch of red bean-type spices with some orange juice, and it’s good. But does anyone have any suggestions on what stuff pairs well with brussel sprouts?

Chestnuts and sprouts is a winning combo. Less of a pairing, but I've also sliced and fried off sprouts for use in any food where you need [generic green] - most recently with some noodles.

I didn't get round to trying this recipe but it looks tasty.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

duckmaster posted:

Any recommendations for what to make with butter beans? My supermarket is giving me 12 cans as a substitute although I’m not entirely sure for what. Never been a fan but maybe there’s something I’ve never heard of before that uses them!

I’ve - as usual - bought a huge amount of dried, frozen and tinned food so the delivery man will probably think I’m stocking up for Coronavirus lol

Edit: they’ve subbed them for my loving chickpeas oh I am angry now :mad:

They make a good dip/spread if you hit them with some garlic and sweet smoked paprika. They also do well in stew type things - I really like them as part of a mix for a bean chilli.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
A fried slice sandwich sounds like it would be excellent on a hangover.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

not_superiority posted:

i use the black bean chili crisp on everything i can. i made some TVP/canned bean sprout patties because i was trying to use up some of the random leftover stuff in my pantry and the chili crisp made the meal.

I love making breakfast rice with the black bean or mushroom ones. A blob of that with a bit of extra oil for lube, make hot, add rice, add mixed frozen veg - super simple, super easy, super tasty breakfast.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
What is your favourite dairy replacement for when you want to make garlic yoghurt sauce for e.g kebabs?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I need a vegan month but it's also going to be a busy month. What are your favourite, cheap, fast recipes? We already eat a lot of curry and nice pasta so looking to add some easy variety for weeknights and lunches.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions the other day. I've got a good and varied meal plan that's not going to take up my precious free time!

I was a bit suspicious of this one and worried it would be bland. When I tasted for seasoning at the end, I threw in a bit of smoked sea salt and another big grind of black pepper, and it was really simple but really satisfying! A nice surprise.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The mushroom stuff in that last post brought to mind something for me!

So after years and years of assuming I didn't like mushrooms, surprise it turns out I just didn't like poorly prepared and/or canned mushrooms, and actually they're really drat good. What a shocker! I've been trying a whole bunch of different recipes recently, but I would welcome any sort of recommendations for other things to try. With the caveat that I can only reliably locally get button/cremini/portobello and shiitake.

Frying up some mushrooms with garlic and putting them on toast is super easy and really tasty! If you use dairy replacements you can also make them a bit creamy. Perhaps an obvious one but I also used to dislike mushrooms and this is now one of my favourite breakfasts and a good way to showcase different shrooms, plus frying them fairly dry gives them a pleasing texture.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I got given a couple of tins of ready to eat jackfruit with chilli and lime. What would you do with them other than heat up and whack in a taco with some salsa?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Overnight oats are handy and last a good few days without incident. You can matchstick some apple and throw it in with some cinnamon, you can put stir peanut butter and jam through, you can bung in a couple of handfuls of frozen berries - all really easy.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Great point!

A light tomato sauce in the American sense. The sauce consistency and flavor that goes on pizza. We made pizzas and now have too much sauce! It’s basically just blended: canned pre-peeled tomatoes, garlic, and a few herbs/spices.

https://simply-delicious-food.com/easy-homemade-pizza-sauce/

As a dip for arancini? Or a base for chilli or other stews. Or thicken it with other veg for tofu shakshuka/purgatory.

I'd probably freeze some for lazy pasta days too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
It seems like some sort of subscription order for their oat milk of choice would be a better idea than something that adds faff to the process of dumping some milk out of a carton. How much would a year's worth run you vs some of the other options you're considering?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Keep cooking. You'll cook out the slime and it'll go back to snappy and delicious. We usually have it in applications where it's fried and it's never sludgy.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
This sounds really dim, but where do you get the beans that you then sprout?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Nettle Soup posted:

UK here, Morrisons sells them.

Thanks! Lentils etc section? (I think that's what felt surprising so I'm not sure.)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I had just always assumed the drying would make them unsproutable. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Just think about how all the seeds you buy at the nursery or whatever are dried, and yet you can grow plants from them. Same deal with beans, cuz beans are seeds!

Yeah, fair point. I think I just assumed supermarket dried would be, I dunno, treated with growth inhibitors or really old or who fuckin' knows. Perhaps I will sproot.