Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Been making a lot of this lately;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHYmOefRNLk

- substituting red miso for the soy sauce in the pre-boil phase. 1tbsp./5oz. basmati.
It's dead easy, and fast to make. I want to phase out the sambal though, but I don't know what should take its place.

Made "pulled" jackfruit once. It's okay.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Any recommendations for a good recipe for making savory watermelon steak? I’m going to a BBQ and I’m looking for something new to try.

Never tried it personally, but I do like Sauce Stache for experimental recipes:

https://youtu.be/bGY20gMBQt0

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shanghai bok choy miu (calrose) rice with Lau's ginger-scallion sauce (and a half tbsp. of multi-mushroom stock powder):

Would've added sriracha for color and heat but I'm out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 7, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Can anybody provide guidance on how to add fat to seitan? I've been experimenting with making vegan gyro meat and, while I can easily work on the spicing, the texture isn't what I want: the seitan is just too lean. I've been frying slices to put in the gyros, which is okay but not quite what I want. From what I can tell, adding more fat (olive or coconut oil) will make the mixture hard/crunchy. I'm wondering if I poach or confit the seitan in oil, maybe that will do the trick?

Sauce Stache has a technique where he adds coconut oil to a portion of the seitan that's only partly finished being kneaded (the "fat"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRu-RuTmf8

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just wondering if any of ya'll had some ideas for using enoki to replace surimi in California rolls. Between the seasoned rice and sushi dipping sauce, it's hard to taste the mock crab in them anyway. Figured it'd be an easy substitution. Should I steam them? Pan fry? I barely use mushrooms to begin with, but I wanted to do tempura today.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 30, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

My gf is trying a low tyramine diet for migraines (the Dr. Buchholz one). I guess it's a long shot but does anyone know any good vegan low tyramine recipes? I'm really struggling to not just prepare plain pan fried tofu and zuchinni every night.

Has she had an MRI?
If not I suggest you insist on one. My mother had a tumor that went undiagnosed for twenty years that was causing her migraines until she finally convinced a doctor to do an actual scan.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'd be down for a falafel burger with aioli, pickles, and tzatziki.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How would i go about using lentils if i wanted to use them instead of ground meat in a pasta sauce? I've never cooked with them before, my only real experience with lentils is Indian food when eating out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I make pasta with lentils pretty regularly, but my recipe isn't based on a ground meat recipe. I use Turkish style yellow lentils, most other cultivars need longer cooking time afaik.
1 Brown your robust ingredients. Onions, cumin and so on.
2 Add Lentils and a slightly larger volume of water.
3 Cover and cook for 30 minutes, if you want imitation ground meat you might want to lower that time.
4 Add fragile ingredients. Ground spices, spinach is great, or olives as a surprise. You might want to add some liquids here.
5 Add pasta if you want risottata, as I normally do.
6 Cook until you like the consistency.

I guess i should clarify my question; do i precook lentils before adding to my red sauce? That's what i usually do when i use ground meat. And is there a convenient rule of thumb for "dry weight of lentils = x weight of cooked lentils" like there is for beans?
My typical order of operations for my pasta sauce is:
- start softening a lot of julienned onions
- start browning meat while onions are about halfway ready
- add meat to onions (they're the ones cooked in my sauce pot)
- add passata, spices, salt, etc.
- continue heating on medium low/low to avoid splatters
- add finishing ingredients and cook a little more
- kill the heat
- add cooked pasta
- wait five or ten minutes for everything to cool down a bit
- eat

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 5, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Great ideas. I bought several more packs of tempeh and am going to try some things. I need to convince my wife to like it, so nothing too fancy yet. She liked the "bacon" I made the other day, but I think I can do better than that.

May i recommend checking out videos on YouTube by a guy named Sauce Stache? Dude leans heavily into the food science genre of meat substitutes, and has multiple recipes for "bacon", "chicken", etc using ingredients as varied as tofu, seitan, eggplants, and daikon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Tempeh texture is weird for me

Or maybe it was Seitan - always get ‘em mixed up

The canned seitan I've had always reminded me of soft chicken.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm having onion tomato and duxelles pasta sauce tonight baby, let's go.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

I got given a couple of tins of ready to eat jackfruit with chilli and lime. What would you do with them other than heat up and whack in a taco with some salsa?

I've done the pulled pork jackfruit thing before. Just make sure to really rinse the stuff off before simmering in your flavoring liquid.

Sauce Stache on YouTube has made chicken nuggets from it, but he leans heavily into food science, and i can't remember if that video specifically has methyl cellulose or the other stuff he usually adds.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

500 grams of cinnamon is still an obscene amount

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Snowy posted:

Hi vegans, quick question: if I’m making instant pot chili with tvp can I just throw it in with everything else or do I need to make the tvp first?

I’ve had this bag of tvp for a year so I finally want to use it

in my experience I prefer to rehydrate it with some stock powder, then squeeze it out to help remove the flavor it already has, first. :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Any recommendations for a recipe using a fair bit of tomato sauce, a recipe that is at least *relatively* light?

We made too much tomato sauce and now we gotta use it!

Puttanesca maybe? I tend to make it thin, and the acidity/brine from capers/olives makes it seem lighter