Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

snyprmag posted:

I'm hosting a BBQ and want to make vegan burgers to accommodate all guests. Does anyone have a favorite recipe or should I just buy pre-packaged ones?

If you search google for "minimalist baker grillable burgers" you'll find my favorite vegan burgers so far. Also mary's test kitchen on youtube has seitan hot dogs that look amazing, if you try it let us know how it went, I haven't had the chance yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Fake feta with marinated tofu is pretty amazing, I've tried some and it really scratched that greek salad itch I had since I went vegan.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Thinking of getting an instant pot. Is it vegan goon recommended?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Holy crap do you eat like that everyday??

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Depends on the day, but generally yeah more or less. A lot of these things can either be made in bulk (all those stews, for instance, can last a week or more if you're cooking for one, which I usually am) or are extremely fast to make (the broccoli probably takes about 15 minutes, the spicy noodles take however long the pasta takes to boil, etc.). I like cooking and I like saving money, so I basically never buy prepared food.

I'm impressed. I like all this stuff as well but I'm not very imaginative and tend to make the same stuff over and over. I think I'll start aping your stuff.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Whats your go-to method for sweet potatoes? I find them hard to get right .

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Grated onions?? This is madness!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Since the past few weeks I've been not only cooking my chickpeas (instant pot is amazing), but also making my own tahini. I eat about a pint of hummus a day, it's glorious!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm not sure how it can go bad. I read homemade tahini lasts about a month in the fridge, and so far I've always finished mine under that time and it's always been good.

I can't believe I used to buy it at insane markups when it's so simple to make yourself.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Vegan Richa is great.

Cashew + nooch + soy milk sauces have me a bit annoyed, as they're promoted heavily to "new vegans" on the internet, like first-second year vegans, as a cheese sauce replacement. It's really not the same thing though, and that turned me off these types of sauces. I find it bland, and it seems like the only thing that can give them taste is salt.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I’ve been making the following “recipe” for my lunches for the week. It’s sort of a stew, and it makes a poo poo-ton of food but I’ve really been enjoying it so I thought I’d share.

2 lbs frozen broccoli
1 lb dry great northern beans
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
2 lbs frozen corn
2 large white onions, chopped
Sun-dried tomatoes, about 1.5 cups diced
Garlic
1 lb mushrooms, sliced

Pressure cook the beans until done and set aside.

Purée the canned tomatoes until smooth.

Roast the broccoli until slightly charred and set aside.

In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil until slightly softened. Add garlic, cook for a minute, and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have given up their water and it’s mostly evaporated. Add beans, puréed tomatoes, corn, and sun-dried tomatoes and heat through. At this point the pot I use is pretty full so I transfer to a huge mixing bowl and combine with the broccoli.

Obviously season to taste and use whatever herbs you’d enjoy in this. I’ve toyed with seasoning using soy sauce and it’s pretty good. I also usually add about five or six diced habaneros with seeds because I love it spicy. I add the peppers when I add the garlic, but be careful you don’t gas yourself with the fumes they release.

Anyway, it’s vegan, extremely hearty, filling, not at all appetizing-looking, and delicious! If you try something like this and it sucks, it’s not my fault.

Hey I do basically something like that for my lunches too :)

Mine is basically:

Ingredients
2 lbs tofu
5 potatoes
5-6 carrots
2-3 sweet potatoes
2 onions
half a head of cabbage
a lot of brocolli
a lot of mushrooms
a couple green/red peppers
a big bouquet of kale
a pound of pasta
whatever other vegetable is on sale

Steps
Boil the potatoes, steam the sweet potatoes

Add one by one to a wok (letting time to cook between) : onions, tofu, carrots, cabbage, brocoli, peppers, mushrooms, kale

Boil the pasta

Combine everything in the largest pot you can find (you need a HUGE pot) and add a shitload of soy sauce, sriracha and peanut butter

I get like 2 week's worth of lunches for ~2 hours of work.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

That sounds pretty great. Gonna make it.

Maybe swap out the pasta for beans.

Beware, you have to be well organized. I'm finding new ways to optimize the process each time, it's a bit of a pain.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
What's the cashew for in all those cashew based sauces? Is it for taste, texture, or more for something like adding fat? In this case could one substitute it for something like coconut oil + some spices? Loooots of vegan sauces use them and they're just so pricy and it feels kinda arbitrary.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Interesting, I'll give sunflower seeds a shot. Seems much more environmentally friendly too.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've had some pretty tasty ones but the idea they can replace swiss fondue or whatever is a bit ridiculous.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've started blanching my potatoes with baking soda before roasting them. Does this also work with sweet potato, to get that crunchy-outside-but-fluffy-center feel?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

TheCog posted:

I want to like seitan, but I have yet to have a preparation that excites me at all.

I did this recipe (https://zardyplants.com/recipes/instant-pot-seitan/) a bunch in the past months and I like it with roasted potatoes&carrots and some gravy. Feels very "blue collar" lunch and scratches an itch few vegan meals do, but yeah, it's not the holy grail.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Actually, vegan meat is ftw

Is this watermelon?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Might be a bit boring, but I love sauerkraut in hot dogs.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Yeah I know my suggestion wasn't as amazing as the food we see in this thread :) I'm in Quebec, and here hot-dogs are very much part of the culture and a summer staple. Sauerkraut is very rare here and pretty much only seen with hot-dogs, but thinking of it non-fermented cabbage salad is the norm. Some of the fake sausages available locally are pretty good, but I know this thread isn't for that.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

I'm so impressed by the variety in what you post. Do you actually have such a varied diet?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Thanks for the effortpost, super appreciated. I do have groceries from many cultures around here and like to go and look around, but most of the time I'll stick to what I know which is... not a lot. I'm one of those people who'll eat the same thing every day for weeks, then switch to something else when I'm inevitably sick of it, usually stuff I can make big batches of so I don't have to cook a lot :D

May I ask how you got to semi-rural India from Cali? That's gotta be quite the lifestyle change!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

Cheese update: Day 6

MOULD !

I have two varieties of cheese (brie and Roquefort). To ensure I didn't mix them up, I marked two of them and have done a good job of keeping them separate. But I can't actually remember which two I marked, the brie or the Roquefort.
^That is the mouldiest by far, but two of the others also have very small amounts of white mould. So either the Roquefort mould starts white before it goes blue, or I've cross-contaminated. If it's the former, I'm in a wee pickle, because I'm supposed to poke holes in the Roquefort once the mould appears, and I'm not sure which cheeses to poke.

This is beautiful. I've been wanting to experiment with that. does it taste remotely like dairy cheese?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

What is your favourite dairy replacement for when you want to make garlic yoghurt sauce for e.g kebabs?

Hellman's have a great vegan mayonnaise. I just shove a bunch of garlic powder into it.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I made pesto roughly following https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-pesto-5-minutes/ (just the ingredients, I didn't measure anything) and ate that over pasta with sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and capers. It's SO FLAVORFUL, it's almost a little overwhelming but I love it. Anything else I could add/replace in there to make it even better?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

Made gyoza for the first time.

I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. The lattice obviously needs some improvement, but they were delicious.
The filling is textured vegetable protein, cabbage, carrot, garlic, ginger, Chinese 5 spice, soybean paste, chilli oil, and toasted sesame oil. Skins were shop-bought. Made a dipping sauce of soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, soy bean paste, lemon juice, chilli oil, and toasted sesame oil.

I was surprised by how easy they were to make; the pastry wasn't difficult to work with at all. 10/10 will make again.

This looks great, are they steamed?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
The only lunch I've eaten in 2022:

First, "stirfry" up a LOT of vegetables and tofu, like enough for several meals.

Now to make lunch, add to a bowl : a small portion of the vegetable mix, a pack of instant ramen, and a bit of peanut butter, soy sauce, sambal oelek and sesame oil. Top with boiling water.

I can't see myself getting tired of it!

edit : depression meal snipe, awesome

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I just realized human milk cheese would (or rather could) be vegan and would be a way for me to eat real brie again. I guess this is outside the scope of this thread though.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm sorry for this stupid derail. I couldn't think of a better place to post this, but it would have been best not to post.

For actual content, my SO has been growing radishes and we discovered that radish leaves make an amazing pesto. To me it's better than plain basil pesto, the taste is a lot sharper.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I got a chest freezer and started stocking it by doing x3 on every recipe I do and freezing the extra portions. I'm having a lot of fun doing this and am on the lookout for ideas of stuff that works well with this. I thought of spaghetti sauce today, it's so obvious.

I'd like to make a large batch of this general tao sauce (https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5675-general-tao-tofu), something like x10. Is there anything special I should do, like not x10 a certain ingredient? I'm going to keep the cornstarch out until cooking time. I intend to freeze it in a muffin tray. Anyone ever done this? Thanks :)

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
thanks for the freezing tips dino!

Colonel J posted:

I got a chest freezer and started stocking it by doing x3 on every recipe I do and freezing the extra portions. I'm having a lot of fun doing this and am on the lookout for ideas of stuff that works well with this. I thought of spaghetti sauce today, it's so obvious.

I'd like to make a large batch of this general tao sauce (https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5675-general-tao-tofu), something like x10. Is there anything special I should do, like not x10 a certain ingredient? I'm going to keep the cornstarch out until cooking time. I intend to freeze it in a muffin tray. Anyone ever done this? Thanks :)

In the end I made a x10 batch of the sauce and sadly after 12 hours in the freezer it just doesn't seem to freeze that well. I was still able to make "pucks" in a muffin mold but they are more like hard slush than actual frozen ice. I put them all in a freezer bag but I kind of expect them to all merge together with time. If only it was the winter, I could just keep them outside, I'm sure they would get hard at -25C :)

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
As someone not used to Asian cuisine, man that's a strange breakfast. I'm sure it's awesome though.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGIdQDCSwQ

Sorry for the clickbaity video, but I enjoyed this. I never had much success with caramelized onions, but boiling them until the water evaporates and then cooking a bit more with oil is really simple and I like the end result. I've been eating this as a condiment for breakfast tofu scramble wraps.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

One of my favourite sandwich fillings for a while was a thin, crispy pancake made of chickpea flour. Spice it heavily, whack it in a hot pita or a toasted sandwich with loads of schug, tahini and yoghourt sauce, pan fried eggplant, tabbouleh, pickled onion, and fresh tomato.

sounds amazing, do you have a recipe?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I guess I'm just surprised by the idea of a sandwich with a crispy "pancake" as a filling. I'll have to try it out, it sounds great with all the condiments you mentioned.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

Kenji’s vegetables wellington came out nicely as a vegan centerpiece again this year again. The process is overly complicated and downright stupid at times and took 5 hours of prep time the day before, but I can’t argue with the end product.

This time I made two half sized roasts, each one using a full package of phyllo dough, and they came out much closer to the size of the roast in the recipe pictures. Also they were MUCH easier to assemble and serve at half size.

I froze the second one and will be seeing how it reheats at Christmas.

The recipe is apparently based off carrots wellington at an east village restaurant. So maybe next year I will save myself the trouble and try to recreate the original one.

My SO and I are in the process of doing a slightly relaxed version of it for Christmas. We won't smoke the King Oyster mushrooms, we'll just do them in the oven with a bit of liquid smoke.

So far though, the bean mixture and the duxelle have turned out amazing. Can't wait to try the whole thing. With a partner, and with plenty of rounds of dishes to keep the kitchen organized, it's not so bad.

edit: I ended up smoking the king oysters. It was simple and the result is great, I'll need to explore that technique more.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 24, 2023

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

hell yeah. Smoking the king oysters is the process I look forward to the most. it’s very satisfying

in other news, my frozen roast reheated pretty well after being frozen for 2.5 months. veggies got that reheated frozen vegetable quality and the flavors weren’t as punchy. 85-95% as good as a fresh one. worth it

Ours was GOOD. It makes a lot of food too which is great. We had leftovers for a while and each time I was so happy to eat it!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Fall Dog posted:

My partner made some nourish bowls for dinner. I can't remember exactly what went in it, but it had plenty of nice textures and a tangy dressing that complemented everything perfectly.

Looks like tempeh? I need to cook with that more.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've reached the point where I cook my chickpeas from dry in the instant pot, I make my own tahini from sesame seeds, and make my own hummus with those (for probably 10x cheaper than store-bought). Ngl I'm kind of proud of myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Weird. I use a food processor and it never seemed like an issue.