Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
It's old news but here's a few vegan pizza recipes with nothing resembling cheese on top: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2013/02/the-pizza-lab-how-to-make-vegan-pizzas-that-really-work.html

They're all good but a special mention goes to my favorite pizza topping the potato. Sounds weird but if you slice it thin, let it soak in salt water and dry before putting on the pizza it's gonna taste amazing. Goes really well with something like king oyster mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
This is maybe little weird if you're not from a Nordic background but bean stroganoff. More of a winter dish though.

Slice up a good amount of button mushrooms and cook them until browned. Remove them from pan and add onions in pretty big dice and season with dried thyme, fresh garlic and smoked paprika. I like to have lots of onion in this. Add the beans when onions are soft - I use canned brown beans usually, would avoid black beans. Then add diced pickled cucumbers, the best for this are fermented cucumbers sometimes called Russian style around here. Less sweet and more sour they are the better. The cucumbers are super important for the dish. Mushrooms go back in. Add little cream to turn it into a sauce, I use oat cream but soy is good too, and dijon mustard to taste. You want the sauce to be thick. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/pasta-chickpea-sauce-recipe.html

This recipe with canned chickpeas is my go to lazy meal. Fry some garlic and red pepper flakes, throw in a can of chickpeas with the liquid, add parsley, blend, mix in pasta and eat. A decent side to this is broccoli roasted in the oven seasoned with the same garlic and red pepper flake mixture.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
If I'm cooking something "meaty" adding some smoke flavor usually enhances the meatiness. I dunno if it's some memory from eating smoked meat that triggers or what. I use smoked paprika or a few drops of liquid smoke.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Smoked tofu is excellent! You can buy cold smoked tofu from the shops around here (it's good) but I had some my friend had smoked themselves and it was delicious.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3zs76WmYdk

I've lately enjoyed a vegan version of Kenji's keema matar recipe. The meat is out obviously and I've replaced it with textured soy protein. I use two deciliters of tsp (the kind that looks like ground beef) and reserve 5 deciliters of stock (bouillon is fine) with a hit of soy sauce and liquid smoke for the liquid. The textured soy is added dry after the ginger-garlic-chili paste and it will soak up all of the fat. I add the ground spices and sorta dry roast it for a bit before starting to add the stock little at a time. Tomatoes go in after about the first deciliter of stock. I continue adding the stock until the consistency is good. In my experience just dumping in all of the stock at once makes the texture of the soy dry. Using soy instead of meat cuts a lot of the fat from the dish but I've found it rich enough despite that. Cheap, tasty and pretty quick to make.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
From Kenji's recipe: mashed potatoes, thin potato slices and thin onion slices. No sauce or "cheese".

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I usually cook tvp by first toasting it in a good amount of oil with spices (normally chili flakes, thyme, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, allspice, fresh garlic). Then I add twice the volume of the tvp stock to the pan, maybe a hit of soy sauce and liquid smoke, and cook until it's absorbed all of the liquid. Cooking chili I'd maybe add this right at the end when everything else is ready or just toast with oil and spices and add to the pot. This works with all shapes of tvp but with big chunks you might have too much stock but that usually doesn't matter in the end.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I've a nut allergy and I've been vegan for 10+ years and most trouble I've had that sometimes cafes have only one vegan pastry and it has nuts in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
You get oat milk if you whisk together oat flour and water, that's the absolute cheapest way to do it. Some fat and salt for taste too. The oat milk I buy has a lot of vitamins added so I'd check your friend's doesn't since replacing those could be a bit annoying. Tbh doing oat milk myself is not something I'd ever bother doing and I use it quite a lot.