Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I've been living on vegan "sushi bowls" lately. (Any food named "bowls" kinda gives me the creeps for some reason, but that's what they are.) My version, a take on garbagey, inauthentic but delicious Americanized sushi, features teriyaki tofu standing in for unagi. Method:

Press, dry and cube a block of extra-firm tofu and dredge it in cornstarch and salt. Shallow-fry in vegetable oil until crispy on all sides. While that's going on, whip up the sauce -- soy, rice vinegar, grated garlic and ginger, sesame oil and brown sugar, raw sugar if you want to avoid bone char. I'm a bad vegan, actually not much of a vegan at all, so I keep my head in the sand about that. You can add sake or mirin if you want to be fancy. Little cornstarch. Amounts are to taste. When tofu is done, pour off the grease and add the sauce. Cook, stirring, until tofu is coated and sauce is thickened. Set aside. You want it room temp.

Knock together a batch of sushi rice. While it's cooking, prep your other toppings -- any combo of sliced cucumber, sliced avocado (save this for the last minute), shredded carrot and/or daikon, sliced regular radishes, or whatever suits your fancy.

When rice is done and cooled, bowl it out and top attractively with all of above. You can make this look pretty psychedelic if you want. Mandatory garnishes are toasted sesame seeds, shredded nori, chopped scallions, and wasabi and pickled ginger deployed judiciously.

It's still hotter than blue blazes where I live and this is pretty much all I want to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I think I posted in this thread a couple years back asking for a vegan latke hack and got some good advice, but this is just to say that I've found THE vegan latke hack: vegan mayo as egg substitute. Hope this doesn't violate the fake food prohibition, though vegan mayo is a pretty straightforward product. These turned out perfect. What I did:

Peel and grate 2 large russet potatoes. Add a heaping teaspoon of salt and let drain in a colander for ten minutes, then wring out in a clean dish towel until as dry as possible.

Mix up 1/4c vegan mayo, about a tablespoon of flour (you could also use matzo meal), and 2 finely chopped scallions. Mix in grated potatoes thoroughly.

Make whatever size latkes you want (this made 12 hors d'oeuvre-sized latkes at 2 tbsp potato mixture apiece) and fry in more vegetable oil than seems sensible until crispy and browned. Drain on paper towels and serve with applesauce.

I'm not vegan, though I feed vegans often, and I'm still not going back to using eggs. Excessive moisture is the biggest impediment to effective latke manufacture, IMO, and using mayo eliminates that problem altogether if you've dried the potatoes enough.