Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Not a vegan, but what started out as 'Meatless Monday' has turned into "vegan food is easier to prepare and store for lunch at work". I'm trying to make a new vegan dish when I need to make more lunches, and so far so good - though my family thinks I might die of malnutrition.

Perhaps salads are a little on the dull side, but I wanted to share my current favourite - chickpea salad it's a favourite because I already have most of the ingredients and it keeps the parsley plant out back in check.

Ingredients:
6 medium tomatoes
3 cups chickpeas
1.5 large red capsicums (or 2 medium)
9 spring onions
125ml olive oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley

Method:
Chop tomatoes, spring onions and slice the capsicum. Combine with chickpeas, toss gently. Combine oil, lemon zest, juice and cumin and pour over the salad. Scatter parsley on the top, mix well and serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

So I've been doing a bit of volunteering for an upcoming election lately and the other volunteers I'm mostly with are two vegans and a guy who can't eat gluten. After what happened last week (pizza company made the most unappetising gluten-free vegan pizzas), I thought I'd make something to share that ticks all the boxes.

So I made this vegan red lentil stew. I've made it a few times before, it doesn't look like much but the taste is good.

I used 1.5 cups lentils and did half a teaspoon of smoked paprika and half of regular paprika. Not sure why the recipe I wrote down says 1.5 cups lentils, but eh, it's fine, lentils are good.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Zenithe posted:

The fact it asks for a tablespoon of cumin and a teaspoon of paprika makes me think they got their spoons mixed up. I mean, I'm happy with a tonne of cumin, but most recipes don't call for anywhere near that.

e. I mean, if it tastes good who cares.

It tastes fine? Like I'm usually wary of anything that calls for a whole tablespoon of some spice but it seemed to work out okay. I fed it to my volunteering buddies and they asked if they could take home leftovers... So it must have been ok and my tastebuds aren't just crazy.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Volunteering again, so today in "I never want to eat gluten free vegan pizza ever again" I made smokey black bean and quinoa salad to share with some veggie rolls.

Dressing:

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
0.5 tsp cumin
0.5 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper (about 0.5 tsp, but do what you like, I'm not the boss of you).

Whisk all these things together.

Salad:

1.5 or 2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 capsicums
However many spring onions you like (I use about a quarter of a bunch)

Cook quinoa according to packet or internet instructions and let it cool. Mix in black beans and capsicum. Pour dressing into the mixture and mix some more.

Veggie rolls:

I got a sweet potato and cut it into sheets. (I have a vegetable sheet cutter coz I love hippy stuff like that) then made little "sushi rolls" containing cooked pumpkin, onion and sweet potatoes, with raw spinach and capsicum. Served with gluten free and vegan chilli-lime dressing.

I like the rolls, they're definitely more interesting than a salad, but YMMV, I don't make them very often. Other stuff that works well in them - crunchy stuff like cabbage (I suggest spicey coleslaw ones with a vinegar-based dressing), or you can sheet cut a zucchini and do hummus and broccoli ones or something. I usually make them out of whatever I have lying around.

One of the other volunteers thinks it's funny it took a few weeks of pizza to make me crack. But at least he likes it, and he's not even the coeliac or one of the vegans!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

And tomorrow's volunteering vegan offering is nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid: Burrito bowls - rice, black bean chili, homemade refried beans, tomato salsa with some spring onions and avocado.

While most of it is pretty standard, I'd never really made or tried refried beans until I got into vegetarian cooking. I use refried beans in a few different things - in enchiladas, on wraps, as a dip, burrito bowls, etc. Also I hear it freezes pretty well but I can't say I've tried it.

Refried beans:

500g dry pinto beans
1 medium brown onion, diced
½ cup pickled jalapenos, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
Black pepper
6 cups water
Salt
Squirt of lime juice

Rinse pinto beans then add everything except salt and lime juice to a slow cooker, cook for 5 hours.

After that's done, drain the liquid into a separate bowl, add the lime juice and salt to the beans and stick-blend the beans. Add more liquid as needed to get your preferred consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I made this cauliflower curry yesterday and it was wonderful. I used fresh parsley instead of coriander because that's what I had, and it was still very flavoursome. It's good as a side or just to have on its own.

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 14, 2019