Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
My little sister went vegan about a year or so ago; I've done my best to accommodate it and cook more vegan-friendly foods (or at least vegetable side dishes) when I do feel like cooking, both because I appreciate it on an ethical level and because I don't live in a big city or a region that's highly conducive to vegan living (deep south texas), so I want to help out when I can.

My personal favorite recipe that qualifies as vegan is Madhur Jaffrey's Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry (Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian). I strongly recommend it - but I think I should mention that there's a lot of advice out there to salt and/or press your eggplant to release moisture, firm up the texture and tame any bitterness. This is old advice, and the last concern isn't particularly a thing anymore in most common eggplant varieties you will find. I have tried doing it and do not feel like the effort is particularly worth it in any way.

Perhaps ironically I do press my tofu, but not for any extensive period of time and only for when i'm using firm tofu for stir-frying sorts of applications. Just a personal preference, really, and not necessary. Certainly not any wringing or freezing or whatever.

My question: are there any vegan-friendly Japanese soups/stews/broths I can make with ingredients available from Amazon and/or American supermarkets? We have a yellow miso (or at least I think so, its branded as a "mild miso" and has a dull yellow-brown color) just sitting unused in the fridge. We also got some dried wakame seaweed, non-alcoholic mirin and ponzu. Anything else to make with these ingredients are also welcome ofc.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Thanks! Yeah, I've made regular miso soup before once, but because it usually has bonito flakes in it i've kind of just dismissed it for a vegetarian/vegan context. That link clears things up considerably.