Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The DPRK posted:

Hello veganos (and veggies too I guess), I wonder if this is the best place to ask.

Is it possible to eat a high-protein, high-calorie vegan diet while also eating medium-low levels of fibre? I like to do exercise which means I need to keep up a high calorie and protein intake and I have been vegan in the past but that was before I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (a type of inflammatory bowel disease) which I know to be sensitive to fibre.

I'm not that big a person, so I'm talking about say 2,250 calories and around 70-100g protein per day.

Appreciate any advice given

Tofu (about 1g fiber per serving), and most vegan protein drinks should be safe, but I would double check on the latter. For calories, you're most likely going to want to up fat content in your diet. Olive oil and coconut oil are both pretty calorie heavy while having zero fiber. For vegetables, there are low fiber options, like carrots. However, that's low fiber for vegetables. There are similar fruits. You'll need to watch portion sizes, to keep within whatever your daily limit of fiber is. I should be doable, but require a lot of tracking.

If you're recently diagnosed, it might be worthwhile to get in to see a dietitian (not a nutritionist). They will be able to provide you with more resources on what fruits and vegetables are okay, and in what amounts, and more ideas for a feasible diet for what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The same authors as Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and Vegan Pie in the Sky also have Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World which I've found to be as good as the other two, as well.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

About halfway through meal prep for myself and my son this week, and well, I feel like sharing pictures of my not at all photogenic food because why not.

Black eyed peas and greens from this recipe. I used kale instead of spinach because son is allergic to spinach, and kale specifically because work had some slightly sad looking bags of prechopped marked down from $2 a bag to $.75 a bag. Also regular paprika instead of smoked because I'm cheap. Gonna have it with some nice crusty roasted garlic bread I also found at work.

Sticky orange tofu and rice from here. Soy sauce immediately turned it from a pale orange to brown, but it's still tasty so don't care. Tofu also kinda broke apart a bit because I was a tad too vigorous with the spatula, but again, don't care.

Still have enchiladas and waffles to make, but meh. It can wait a minute, I'm taking a sit down.

ETA:

Enchiladas and waffles finally loving done.

These are the black bean enchiladas and cumin roasted sweet potatoes, both from Budget Bites. I would have used corn tortillas, but we was out at work, so welp.

The brownie waffles from Veganomicon. My dumb rear end somehow entirely forgot to add the salt while mixing it up, but it turned out okay anyway, if a lil burnt in spots. We're eating it with a bit of Silk Vanilla soy yogurt on top, because it works better than syrup with the chocolate brownie tastes of them.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 3, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

He just recently went vegan with me as of this past week. I have been for about two months now. I have done some treat stuff too, like we did ice cream sundaes one day (I work at a Kroger, and can say their Simple Truth almond milk ice cream is preeeeetty good).

Surprisingly, his favorite of this week wasn't the waffles, which is what I was expecting. No, it was....the sticky orange tofu. I was quite shocking, given his usual tastes. The enchiladas are the least favorite, so they're leaving as an option for weekly plans. My plan for this coming week is chocolate muffins, the smokey grilled tempeh from Veganomicon with a potato salad and cornbread, chickpea loaf with the Veganomicon collard greens (that use the marinade from the smokey tempeh), and a quinoa lemon artichoke salad.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's a typical breakfast food, but savory oatmeal recipes aren't particularly common in my experience compared to sweet ones. Easy to throw together, but different enough to be a novel breakfast thing.

Unrelated to breakfast, I am preemptively collecting Thanksgiving recipes because I'm like that, and if anyone has a favorite biscuit recipe to throw my way, that'd be cool. I'm looking for ones with more than just the....vehicle for gravy aspect to them. Spices, add ins, whatever. Just stuff that is more flavorful on its own.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't have any pictures but I made like...the world's most simple trail mix, because I'm starting a new job with twelve hour shifts, and I figured I should probably take some "Try not to die" snacks for my breaks. It's just 1/4 cup of walnuts and 1/4 cup of pecans, 1/2 cup dry roasted and seasoned sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup of raisins, and 1/2 cup of a store brand chocolate chip from Kroger (the Simple Truth Allergy Friendly Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, if anyone is looking for a somewhat affordable option there). And it is....ridiculously good, for how simple it is.

I milked my previous job for all the overtime I could for my last paycheck, so I think next week I'll splurge on some macadamia nuts, and make a tropical-ish mix.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am making work lunches, and I'm trying to branch out in the world of actually making my own veggie patties instead of "Buying a pack of Morningstar and calling it a day", and looking beyond "mimicking a burger" and into interesting flavor combinations that just happen to be in a shape that fits on a hamburger bun. I've found a few interesting recipes to try, but I'm also looking for suggestions if anyone has some favorites.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

I haven't tried yet, but these beetroot and black bean patties are on my to-do list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXc64GOgPqw

That does look pretty tasty. I've been eyeballing this one, myself, because I cannot possibly explain how much I love both kale and garlic.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I made trail mix again.

Pecans, pumpkin seeds, mango, and chocolate chips. Just as super simple as the last batch, but I think what I really like about it (making trail mix in general) is being able to make combos I can't find in my local stores, like this one.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

One of the effects of living in a rural area with limited access to "exotic" foodstuffs is that I waited until I was last night years old before I learnt that:
a) bbq jackfruit is a wonderful filling for burritos, and
b) I'm allergic to jackfruit :barf:

I don't know which has been worse for me. Discovering I'm allergic to something I'd never tried before but was really, really good (some random fruit I picked up and have since forgotten what it was because it's so unavailable usually here, so that's fun! Mystery allergy!), or developing an allergy later in life to something I previously really enjoyed. ...I miss carrots

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

The latter sounds as though it would be absolutely terrible.
Especially carrots ! I genuinely think it's been years since I've gone an entire day without eating carrot.

Thankfully, it's OAS, rather than being allergic to carrots by themselves, so I can tolerate a small amount if they're cooked. But my favorite snack for years and years was raw carrot, and that's a...bad time for me anymore. It was a very sad day once I finally figured out what was causing my daily digestive system distress issues (it was developing the stereotypical lip and tongue itching that tipped me off).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I really like this super simple basic recipe for just Generic Soft White Sandwich Bread, with or without the food coloring (the link provided to where it originally came from appears to no longer work). You just skip the steps to color it if you don't want to do that and instead form two loaves, or if you only want to make one loaf, I've had success just straight halving everything (which isn't always a given with baking).

It is, again, Super Simple Basic White Bread. But sometimes that's just what you want.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 4, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not a recipe, but I would probably dry some to make homemade chili flakes.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I figured it was probably a thought that had come up already, but the only other thing my brain could come up with was "I'd make all of the hot sauce. All of it." because I will splash hot sauce on basically everything, but that seemed even more of an obvious answer.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This might just be my general area, but I can't get tofu regularly right now to save my life. Only one that is in stock, and doesn't disappear almost immediately when they do get some is silken.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I lucked out on getting a Vitamix on the cheap, so my issue is having to dig out the food processor when I don't want something blitzed into perfectly smooth homogeneity.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm confused. Bread crumbs aren't allowed, but bread over 24 hours old is? Bread crumbs are literally just dry toasted bread smashed up real fine.

ETA: And it says no MSG but then allows a lot of foods that are naturally high in it?

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 22, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I'm gonna try some vegan baking this weekend :)

I'm having to get back into baking more often myself, because signs are pointing to me being gluten intolerant. No official diagnosis yet, but it's looking pretty likely! And hoooo boy, are GF and vegan options pricey. $7 for a pack of four hamburger buns! Nothx, Imma just make some.

In my experience, baking just vegan is pretty easy peasy, though trying to modify nonvegan recipes can take some experimentation.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zosologist posted:

lol this is what I did, except I plan on using my instant pot, and the results were predictable. The amount of woo and pseudoscience in the vegan food sphere is exhausting.

Not a food issue, but my current bugbear with this was trying to find a toothpaste that hit the key points of 1) vegan, 2) not owned by Evil, 3) sustainably produced, and 4) has fluoride. Just because I don't want toothpaste that is produced by literal child slaves doesn't mean I don't want fluoride in it!

....I gave up on "reasonably priced" as a key point fairly soon into the search.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I still can't find tofu to save my life right now, but I can find dry soy beans and soy milk, so I guess I'm going to be getting into making my own tofu for the time being.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That Korean cookbook is exactly up my alley. One of my favorite cuisines, though Filipino beats it out just a bit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have been getting like a million "But what do you eat?" questions because it came out I'm vegan at work. I don't normally go around telling everyone because who gives a poo poo, but well, refuse a free sandwich and people have questions apparently, and also feel the need to tell everyone else about the one vegan in the workplace. Rather than directly answer "But what eat?" questions fifty gabillion times a day, I'm just going to start stepping up my meal prep game after the holidays. Right now I am hella lazy, and lunch is a LightLife Smart Dog and Lay's chips. I prep by the week, and even before "Well, now I have to delicately step around my reasons for being vegan partly being non-Christian religious reasons in a heavily Christian area" I was planning on doing like....theme weeks where one week is all Mexican recipes, next all Chinese, next Korean, next vegan versions of my Southern comfort foods, etc. etc. because I am exactly the kind of nerd who gets excited over planning stuff like that.

Ask me what I eat? I AM GOING TO SHOW YOU ALL THE FOOD.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If you want it to be as thick as store bought yogurt, you may need to add a thickener, like pectin.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Made my first batch of homemade plant milk. Went with rice milk, because I don't have any nuts on hand right now and didn't feel like getting the oats off the high shelf. Made it with cocoa powder and maple syrup for a touch of sweetness. Came out pretty good.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Turns out pancakes done in the oven are pale enough to not look done. I tried a piece, and they're definitely cooked through, and even with how pale they are, this will probably be my go to method to make large meal prep batches from here on out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My first attempt at homemade (not even trying to pretend to not be) veggie burgers (+macaroni salad)

Sometimes I want a mock meat burger, but I actually really enjoy the ones that are "Here are some veggies and beans and stuff in the shape of a patty" the most, but I've never until today tried making my own.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm on mobile so not easily able to post a link, but if you filter my posts, I linked it earlier in the thread.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I made these two recipes as part of my meal prepping this week, and they're both very tasty. I was too lazy to make my own sauce, so I used the Simple Truth Organic Original BBQ Sauce from Kroger. Both it and the Sweet & Spicy version are vegan.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Today is my free day for meal prepping, so my partner's mom is taking me downtown to try an Indian place I've been wanting to go to, that I've heard great stuff about. They mark everything on the menu that's vegetarian and/or vegan, with different marks for vegetarian and vegan. And they even have vegan kulfi. So excited.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Trip report: Was delicious. I had aloo cabbage, which was served with basmati rice, but there were a good percentage of the menu was labeled as vegan, so I will definitely be back to try more. Small kind of hole in the wall place, where the only regular employees as far as I've gathered from people are the owner and his wife, which in my experience are the sort of places with The Best Food. They just recently got voted as the best restaurant in the city for vegetarians and vegans in the annual "Best of Business" awards, and consistently win or get high in the "Best ethnic food" category (this place is...rural white as hell, so yes, the category is actually called that) and I definitely saw why.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't have a recipe on hand, but just....plain roasted beets are my jam. Little bit of oil, little bit of salt and pepper? Delicious.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Me next step on the "veggie burgers made at home" adventure.

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-french-onion-burgers-with-herbed-cashew-cheese/

Quite good, and sturdier than the garlic kale ones (which I still suspect was because I didn't use enough bread crumbs).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I made peanut soup, and it is baller.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Made these peanut tofu noodle bowls for my lunches this week, and it's preeeetty good.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Double posting for a question!

If I wanted to make something that calls for chunk style TVP, would soy curls work as a substitution there?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Made some cookies today.

ETA: Also, not food related, but I just want to rave a bit about a locally owned small business I found. Specializes in vegan personal care products, with no artificial scents in any of it. Seeing as I am allergic to a buttload of artificial scents, I was happy to find it, and even happier that ever product I've tried has been Amazing.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 22, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am attempting to make a bread recipe (in my fancy new bread machine) that called for heavy whipping cream. I've used a 2:1 mixture of soy milk and oil for that in this sort of context before, but I'm sweating bullets because modifying baking recipes is always kind of a crapshoot. I guess I'll have a trip report once it's done.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Trip report, it worked pretty good!

Strawberry shortcake bread. It's much more cake like in texture than bread like. And the kneading function is apparently...significantly more robust on my machine than the one used by the recipe writer, so instead of chunks, it's all throughout the bread. It's pretty good, though. Very strawberry-y. Top didn't brown worth a drat, though, but that's apparently a bit of an issue with this particular machine.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

I need a vegan month but it's also going to be a busy month. What are your favourite, cheap, fast recipes? We already eat a lot of curry and nice pasta so looking to add some easy variety for weeknights and lunches.

Some of these are enough for a meal by themselves, some you'll want a side with.

Black eyes peas and greens.

Peanut tofu noodle bowls

Tomato, kale, and white bean skillets

Sesame tofu

BBQ tofu (buying the sauce premade makes it take almost no time)

Potato and bean quesadillas

Taco pasta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

What are your preferred carb limits for any given meal?