Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

My sinuses opened up just reading that recipe. I know what I'm making to bring to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
:filez::filez::filez:

America's Test Kitchen posted:

When it came to developing a vegan version of the classic chocolate chip cookie, we'd settle for nothing less than perfection; the recipe had to produce a cookie that would be moist and chewy on the inside and crisp at the edges, with deep notes of toffee. We started by baking 11 popular recipes, and we were shocked at the assortment of hockey pucks in front of us. Some cookies didn't spread at all, while others melted into greasy wafers; some tasted like cardboard, while others had funky off-flavors; and some were gelatinous, while others crumbled apart. We had our work cut out for us. Starting with the test kitchen's classic recipe, we removed the egg and found that we simply didn't need a substitute for it. While many cookie recipes call for a mix of white and brown sugars, we opted to use all brown; it gave the cookies a richer flavor and its moisture provided a softer center. But tasters wanted more chew. As it turned out, to achieve a chewier cookie, we had to leave it alone. Letting the mixed dough rest for 1 to 4 hours (no longer) gives the proteins and starches in the flour a jump start at breaking down; meanwhile, the sugar dissolves, hydrates, and later retains this moisture better during baking, preventing the cookie from becoming brittle. Lastly, the surprising addition of a little almond butter added the toffee-like richness that butter typically provides a cookie. 

Not all semisweet chocolate chips are vegan, so check ingredient lists carefully. Use processed almond butter for the best texture; natural almond butter will make the cookies too greasy, and they will spread too much.

Makes 16 cookies

2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1⅓ cups packed (9⅓ ounces) organic light brown sugar
½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons water, room temperature
⅓ cup unsalted creamy almond butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups (7½ ounces) semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Whisk sugar, melted oil, water, almond butter, and vanilla in large bowl until well combined and smooth. Using rubber spatula, stir flour mixture into oil mixture until just combined; fold in chocolate chips.
2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. (Dough can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours; let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before portioning.)
3. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons, then arrange dough mounds 2 inches apart on prepared sheets.
4. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until light golden and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 12 to 14 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Let cookies cool completely on sheet. Serve. (Cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 15, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ThePagey posted:

I made a lentil bolognese the other day and I'm proud to say that it was bad!

The recipe I used as a base (which I will not be sharing for hopefully obvious reasons) made some weird calls for how to cook the lentils themselves which I should have trusted my gut and cooked them normally since I, like, am quite confident I know how to not gently caress up lentils--but it ended up requiring a lot of adjustments mid-cooking in order to avoid them being unacceptably crunchy. I'm certain most of it was my fault in the end, but it was a good opportunity for learning, and I'm glad for it at least.

It has also prompted me to start loving around with making tomato sauces from scratch instead of using jarred sauces wholecloth or mixing and matching, which isn't really all that complicated or groundbreaking but is something I should have done a long time ago.

Post recipe please. I bet I could adapt my mom's sauce, and that would be delightful.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Liquid smoke is totally cheating in the best way. Magical stuff when used in moderation.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

scuz posted:

Since we're all staying home now, this tofu jerky is dead simple to make and if a batch lasts you longer than ~20 minutes please tell me your secrets to willpower. Busted out the deep fryer and made the Serious Eats buffalo cauliflower and it's amazing.

And TC, thank you for the thread, this is a great resource.

I also made buffalo cauli! I baked it though, really just turned into my usual veggie sheet bake with buffalo sauce on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fun fact, onions are (except for Jains) so important in South Indian cuisine that there are (according to my fiance) RIOTS IN THE STREETS when the price goes up.