Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Anyone have a favorite tajine recipe? I made this one and while it tasted fine, it came out way too mushy — and I didn't even add the stock mentioned in the recipe. I bet the texture would have worked out if I'd added the vegetables in stages (looking at you, eggplant & zucchini) and maybe used a wider pan for more surface area.

While I'm at it, I'd welcome any other recipes that use harissa! I accidentally made a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks for all the tajine tips (and reminding me to cook more lemon rice)!

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

I use ras el hanout too, it's my favorite spice mix. I just put an aubergine, courgettes, a red pepper, chickpeas, celery stalks and sometimes carrots in a big pot with olive oil, then I add the vegetable stock, water and spices and let it simmer for a while. It does come out mushy but I've never seen a tajine that wasn't and I love overcooked veggies anyway. Do not be afraid to go crazy with dried fruits and nuts, too. Raisins and prunes are great, but my mom used dried apricots and almonds and it worked really well.

A tajine is whatever you want in a big pot with spices, and if that makes me a Tajine Anarchist so be it.

Adding more types of dried fruits and nuts sounds delicious. I've never had authentic tajine, just local interpretations of it, so I'm wondering: if it's meant to be all soft, do you then serve it with a side or by itself? It seems like it could use a firm counterpart.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

No, that makes a lot of sense! Using the broth for soup is clever, I'm definitely doing that next time.