Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I've been missing food from the South, so I've been making a bunch of stuff from Afro-Vegan lately; I made a variant on his skillet cornbread with blueberries mixed in instead of dukkah which turned out great, and put together a batch of his Peach-Pomegranate Molasses barbecue sauce for the 4th which I've been spooning onto all sorts of fried/fatty things. It's delicous and tangy. I still have a bunch of the sauce left and I thought I'd get ideas for what to do with it. I think I'd like to try to make barbecue jackfruit or mix it into beans, but anyone have creative ideas for using it?

I really need to go grab Vegan Soul Kitchen next, and then maybe Mississippi Vegan and Teff Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So, I bought a big block of condensed tamarind pulp from the Thai grocery store nearby the other day on impulse and I don't know what to do with it, as I've never used tamarind in cooking before. My plan is to prepare it per this article from SheSimmers, but I'd love some different ideas for what to use it in. My thought was to delve into Thai cooking, but I'm not sure how to veganize the usual sauces and so on since they tend to have fish products in them. In a related note, good vegan Thai curry pastes have been hard to come by — do you Thai-food cooks make your own, or have a source?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the tips, y'all. I've been making dino.'s daal for years as a regular part of my rotation, but for whatever reason (laziness) I've never tried to make my own chutneys or sambhar. Time to get on that. I'll have to look into putting together my own Thai curry pastes as well — those two books look rad for digging into Thai cooking but they'll have to wait, as I spent all my extra money on an Instant Pot and a carbon steel wok. :science:

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Guys/gals, I'm sitting on a proverbial mountain of huge zucchinis and summer squashes that have been gifted to me by well-meaning neighbors. What should I do with all of these gourds? I'll probably make some vegan zucch bread to tackle the zucchs, but I'm at a stand still with the squash.

Also, dino. (and others), I've ended up with a bag of Urad Dal that I thought had been called for in one of your book's recipes but actually wasn't. :downs: Can I use it like any other dal, or do you have suggestions for using it?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey pals, let's talk mushrooms. I never did much with them before becoming vegan, but now I'm all about that Shroom Life. The people at the farmers market had some choice looking foraged Chantarelles this week so I impulsively grabbed them in a fit of mania. I'm really new to cooking good fresh mushrooms but I'd like to make a meal centered around them for my partner and I. Thoughts?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I'd like to do a deep dive into vegan Japanese cooking the next couple months, so I'm thinking of picking up a cookbook to guide me. I'm torn between Elizabeth Alexander's Kansha and Miyoko Schinner's Japanese Cooking; which do you y'all prefer, of the two? I really like the focus on reducing waste and reusing stuff from Kansha, but I generally find what Miyoko comes up with extremely clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Anyone have success with making vegan okonomiyaki? I got a bunch of cabbage in my CSA box this week and it seemed like a fun way to use it.