Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Lime and black pepper
Rosemary Garlic and thyme
Sweet Chilli Jam

All contain milk products. I don't know why, but there they are.

From what I've read, lactose is sometimes used to mellow acidity in some chip seasoning blends, and buttermilk powder is used in some types to provide a more rounded acidity. Not really finding any reasons beyond that, though I'm sure there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Lady Disdain posted:

Slightly random food question:
Are eggplants (aubergines) bitter where you live ?
I keep encountering recipes that say to salt and let eggplant drain to remove the bitterness. A good method for removing excess water, obviously, but bitterness ?
I've cooked and eaten a lot of eggplants in my life, and I've never met a bitter one. Are Australian eggplants different, or am I just desensitised to the bitterness (which would be odd, because I don't like bitterness much in other foods) ?

My understanding is that eggplants used to have higher concentrations of various bitter alkaloids (including nicotine, which it still has a relatively high amount of in comparison to other non-tobacco sources), but that's effectively been bred out of them by this point. You might still find some heirloom varieties that have a pronounced bitterness to them, but your bog-standard supermarket eggplants shouldn't be.