Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Hello,
I think this may be my first post in this thread. Please forgive the dump.

These are my favourite things to eat of late:
Pizza (store bought crust, because I'm lazy):
1. veggie packed tomato sauce (tinned tomatoes, whatever veg I have, olives, sundried tomatoes, herbs), vegan sausage, capsicum, mushrooms, vegan cheddar
2. pesto, roasted pumpkin, toasted pine nuts, vegan haloumi, baby spinach, garlic aioli. This is probably my all time favourite homemade pizza, vegan or otherwise.

Burgers:
- pesto, vegan haloumi, grilled eggplant and zucchini, a grilled portobello mushroom, lettuce, tomato

This mapo tofu

This chana dal (which I currently have 5 meals' worth of in my freezer)

Martha Stewart's mum's recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls, which are amazing, but labour intensive. I make the recipe vegan by replacing the butter with olive oil, the meat with vegan mince, and the sour cream with coconut yoghourt. I've also found that a jar of applesauce is better than the apple the recipe calls for.

Martha Stewart's mum's borscht. I use coconut yoghourt in place of the sour cream.

This mushroom stroganoff

This byrek (sauerkraut filo pie). This is probably my absolute favourite. I add beetroot to the sauerkraut for added flavour and colour, and because 1 jar of sauerkraut isn't enough but 2 is too much.

This pea, broccoli and miso soup.

And this miso glazed eggplant, which I have as a side with all sorts of dishes. The miso glaze also makes a fabulous dressing.

I've also been on a baking kick lately.
This medjool date tart is possibly the best thing I've ever eaten.

I've since used the same recipe to make a pumpkin pie, by subbing the dates for steamed pumpkin, and changing the spices. It was pretty good.

And yesterday, I made a pie with a store bought puff pastry crust, ^that filling recipe made with cherries (and the juice from the jar of cherries in place of most of the coconut milk), and vegan frangipane. It's not bad at all.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mango Polo posted:

Any suggestions for couscous and tajine recipes?

Would be nice to pick up a few recipes that have not been written by a white woman with some vague passing interest in the culture (which is basically all that Google tends to spit out when searching)

I'm a big fan of Yotam Ottolenghi's Giant couscous with golden raisins, lemon and almonds (which I sometimes make with regular couscous, because the giant stuff's hard to find here) and Sweet and sour pumpkin tagine, although I've never tried serving the two together. Usually, I go for his Mejadra with the tagine.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

mod saas posted:

On the subject of Indian food and veganizing recipes that use ghee etc, I love this dum aloo recipe but it uses ghee and also calls for soaking cashews in milk and then making that into a purée.

It says you can use water instead of milk — is that the best play, or is there something better to use? Also, since I’ve had a devil of a time finding cashews that isn’t a huge bag, is there something good to substitute in place of the cashew purée?

I've never tried, but I imagine that natural (peeled) almonds might do the trick. I can't think of any other nut that doesn't have a distinct flavour.

In that particular recipe, though, I suppose you could use vegan yoghourt or sour cream, or coconut cream as a substitute. You might need to adjust the thickness in that case, but it shouldn't be hard.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yes, that ^

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Wait, is cold soaking (e: whole) grains for <24 hours really enough to make them edible ?

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 6, 2021

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Right, thanks. I was imagining the heavier grains.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Inceltown posted:

I was talking about rolled oats sorry, should have mentioned that. There are lots of through hikers that do things with dehydrated beans too but those things are impossible to get here in Australia so I can't comment on what works well there.

Yeah, I know oats are fast. But Vinestalk said "grains/beans" so my mind went straight to barley and black beans. (Actually, it went straight to lentils, because I'm a dope.)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Wow, do you just spend all day watching cooking videos ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Android Apocalypse posted:

If you could, wouldn't you?

I do, and I'm still amazed by how many Tycho manages to find.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Sorry about the sub-optimal photos, but this is what I made for dinner last night:

It's an adaptation of this koshari recipe (lentils and rice, spiced chickpeas, a sour tomato sauce and crispy fried onions; more of a mujadara, really), and this fatteh batenjan recipe (harissa roasted eggplant and zucchini, a yoghourt, tahini and mint sauce, and crispy pita).

And this for dessert:

It's based on this Focaccio di Recco recipe which I adapted into a dessert of cinnamon- and nutmeg-spiced blueberries with sour cardamom cream cheese.

Both were ever so good.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I basically survived a 10-week jaw wiring on soup, and porridges. (It was winter, though, so I wasn't too interested in smoothies.)
The good thing about veggie soup is that changing herbs and spices can turn the same vegetables into an infinite number of soups.
Adding pesto + yoghourt, or miso to a soup is also a wonderful way to change the flavour. You can also add beans, lentils, barley, rice, etc. which give them a lot more body and blend up really nicely.
This broccoli, pea, and miso is my favourite that I actually have a recipe for. I bolster it by adding white beans which don't effect the pretty colour.
Other favourite soups are pumpkin (pesto + yoghourt is particularly amazing here), spicy red lentil, curried cauliflower, carrot and coriander, and sweet potato with Cajun seasoning and black beans.

As has been said, soaked oats make a wonderful base for a smoothie. Current favourite smoothie is coconut, pineapple and mint. But smoothies are infinitely variable; you can't really go wrong with them.

Seconding porridge also. You can also make incredibly delicious savoury rice porridge; add some finely diced, well cooked veggies, silken tofu, some sort of spicy bean paste, soy sauce, etc. etc.

Chilli and curries can also be blended without ruining them.

There are also a ton of recipes out there for what I'd call a "traditional pudding" (in British English). Basically a steamed or baked self-saucing sponge-based pudding. They come out soft enough that you could just mush them against the roof of the mouth. Serve with custard or ice cream. They're generally not effortless, though, but if you're friend gets bored enough...

And yoghourt, jelly (jello), tinned fruit, etc. aren't the most exciting food options, but they're nice as an occasional very low effort snack.

e: Sorry I can't provide any actual recipes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've been really into making pies and galettes lately, so my favourite vegan dessert involves replacing the butter in Martha Stuart's pâte brisée recipe with vegan butter alternative, and proceeding as normal from there.

The greatest dessert of all time, baklava, is also vegan if you use oil instead of butter.

I'm not a big baker of cakes or biscuits, so I've only tried this with banana bread (and it was a pretty decent success) and it might be a loving disaster. But has your mother tried just searching "X vegan alternative" for each non-vegan ingredient and seeing what happens ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'd never be so bold as to call myself a culinary genius, but I've just made a pudding that was bloody delicious.

100ml of coconut cream (left over from something else)
juice + zest of 1 orange
600ml of a mixture of soy milk and water (because you've run our of soy milk)
brown sugar to taste (1/2 a cup ?)
1 cup of fine semolina
vanilla extract to taste

Cook, whisking, until thick. Add vanilla.

I made it to bake inside some sort of pastry, which is currently in the oven. But next time, I'll skip the pastry and just serve it in a bowl.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

pandy fackler posted:

Porridge has been mentioned but specifically congee. The way I make it is 1 cup of rice to 7 cups of water in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes with some vegetable (better than) boullion, lots of minced ginger and garlic plus additions like mushrooms, tofu, peas, whatever I have around. If it's something I don't want to overcook, I'll cook separately and add at the end. It's easy enough to cook on the stove too, just takes more time. When it's done I mix in soy sauce, gochujang paste, a little toasted sesame oil and top with some sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Very customizable to specific tastes.

It never even occurred to me that you could make congee in a pressure cooker, so thanks for that.
Just made it for breakfast. Added miso and lime juice before serving (because miso makes everything better.) Incredibly tasty, and so no faffing about stirring.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Hawkperson posted:

I’m at a local vegan fair/farmers’ market and I suppose I should be grateful that I even have one so close by, but this thread has spoiled me. The fried chicken and the mac and cheese and the pizza etc are all fine but I wish there was a booth just like…serving vegan food and not traditionally not-vegan food that’s been translated into vegan. I think my main prob is I just really don’t like nut cheeses and it’s really, really hard to find a booth that doesn’t use them. There’s a pizza booth but 8/10 of the pizzas use cheese, and they were out of ingredients for the other two :(

Hopefully that'll teach them something about what there's demand for, and they'll have more of the good stuff next time.

I'm also not a fan of the veganified foods, but I think they're popular because it's an easy entry point for non-vegans (and people have limited imaginations when it comes to food). Hopefully it'll improve with time.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Slightly random food question:
Are eggplants (aubergines) bitter where you live ?
I keep encountering recipes that say to salt and let eggplant drain to remove the bitterness. A good method for removing excess water, obviously, but bitterness ?
I've cooked and eaten a lot of eggplants in my life, and I've never met a bitter one. Are Australian eggplants different, or am I just desensitised to the bitterness (which would be odd, because I don't like bitterness much in other foods) ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much.

In hindsight, that's something I could've googled myself, so I'm sorry for putting you to the trouble.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Not specifically related to your post Tycho, but every time I click on a food video, youtube gives me a 10+ minute advert of Maggie Q eating bread. It's like YT has tried to guess my fetish, and got it wrong, but, like, not massively wrong.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Tonight I made a veganised version of this Mocha self-saucing pudding (soy milk, vegan butter substitute, and vegan chocolate). It was incredibly easy, and so bloody good.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 17, 2021

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Curry powder is a fabulous way to ruin Indian food. But it adds a really nice something to vegetable soups.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Here's what I made for dinner last night.
A galette of roasted beetroot and sweet potato, and caremalised onion, cabbage and cannellini beans. I served it with steamed veg.
The process was an absolute bastard; the pastry just wasn't working for me last night. The end result was absolutely delicious, though; I'll be making it again soon.

And for pudding, this very unphotogenic gibanica-inspired cherry and cardamom pie. It didn't taste nearly as cherry-y as I'd've liked, but it tasted pretty good, and I'm pleased with the texture and the way it set.

And now, I'm in the middle of making kimchi fried rice for tonight.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Thanks.

Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with sauerkraut ? I usually turn it into byrek (filo pie) (which is what I'll end up doing this time as well unless I think of something else). I have 400 grams of live-culture spicy sauerkraut in the fridge. It's winter here, so something hot would be ideal.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Mmm, I love a sour soup ! That looks great; I think I'll make it next weekend. Thanks.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Thanks, but hot dogs really aren't my thing. Are they really a thing anywhere outside the US ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh interesting.
Supermarkets here (Australia) sell "hotdog buns," but I've never actually heard of anyone eating hotdogs, except as a novelty.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Huh. Turns out I'm the weirdo.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Mmm, pierogis are tempting. I made some blueberry pierogis a while ago, that worked out pretty well.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That looks really wonderful !

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There are only two varieties of curry powder readily and universally available in Australia (that I know of): Keen's and Clive of India, and they both contain fenugreek.
Now I'm wondering what curry powder in other places tastes like.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Funny you should ask, I just made my first batch yesterday !
I won't know how it is for another few weeks, though, obvs.
I've been really into spicy sauerkraut lately, so I added Korean chilli powder (the kind used to make kimchi), which I think was a mistake; it smells like kimchi (which is nice, but not what I wanted).

The image doesn't really do the size justice; it's a 2+ litre jar, with 1.5 heads of red cabbage and several carrots.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Does fermenting carrots work the same way as fermenting cabbage ? Just add salt + wait ? Can I do this with any and every vegetable ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I couldn't decide which of the sauerkraut suggestions to try this weekend, so I sort of mixed and matched.

Burgers (as close as I'm going to get to hotdogs).
Black bean, caramelised onion and beetroot patties (store bought); tomato; English spinach; mustard, maple syrup and tahini sauce; spicy sauerkraut. Homemade spicy potato wedges.

Then I made pierogi with sweet potato, potato, sautéed mushrooms, green onions, dill, and soy yoghourt. And served them with sauerkraut soup (sour shchi) with mushrooms, carrot, turnip, swede, and beetroot.

The burger and the pierogi were good, but that soup was stellar. And it worked really well with the pierogi.
Thing I learnt, though: having strands of cabbage in your sauerkraut 20cm long isn't an issue when you're eating it in a sandwich, or with a knife and fork, but it sure makes things tricky in a soup.

I've bookmarked that sauerkraut schupfnudeln recipe for when my homemade sauerkraut is ready.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Also, I believe the time will depend a lot on your weather.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Mmm. What kind of filling ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That sounds really good.
I'm tempted, but I'm planning to make kanelbullar and kardemummabullar (cinnamon buns and cardamom buns) soon, so the rugelach might have to wait.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

von Braun posted:

No vaniljbullar?

No, but I'm thinking of making kardemummabullar med vaniljkräm.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Brilliant idea. I think my plan for my next batch of sauerkraut is ginger, chilli, and caraway seeds.

I had my first real taste of my sauerkraut today. It... doesn't taste like sauerkraut yet; just salty cabbage. It's only day 10, though, but I ran out of store-bought and couldn't resist.
It's also not nearly as hot as I'd imagined (and hoped) it would be, given how much gochugaru I added.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It bubbled a lot for the first 6 days or so (so much so that the jar leaked purple cabbage juice all over the floor of my pantry twice because I forgot to release the gas in time), but it's died down to almost a complete stop now.
The recipe I used said 15g salt : 500g cabbage, and I weighed everything :shrug:

e: Although, a recipe I've just found says it should be 2% salt by weight, which would mean that it's oversalted by half again.
How much salt do you guys use ?

But if it bubbled in the beginning, surely that means that it fermented, right ?

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 24, 2021

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Thanks; that's very reassuring.
I'm eating it every day now, because I've run out of store-bought. It definitely has a sourness to it that I can taste when I eat it alone. In a sandwich, it's subtle enough that it's not really noticeable. And it's definitely saltier than I'd like it to be.
I'm going to make another batch this weekend (or next weekend if I can't eat all the pickles in the fridge fast enough to use their jar), and I'll definitely reduce the salt in that one. And hopefully the second batch will be able to sit long enough to become properly sour before I eat it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That's an amazing and informative post, Tycho. But lol at the suggestion that you'll have capers and olives in the fridge forever; am I the only one who just eats them by the spoonful ?

I've added that recipe for dry tossed rice noodles to my list for next month, since I'll be heading into the next big down in a couple of weeks and might be able to find vegan oyster sauce.

Sauerkraut update (am I becoming one of those people who does nothing but talk about their children, only instead of children it's fermenting veg ?):
I tipped out a little of the juice (which in hindsight was a mistake; I should've saved it for something), and replaced it with plain water. It was immediately slightly less salty, which made the sourness a little more noticeable. I'm going to leave it for a day or two before I dig back in, and see if the less saline water can leach a little more saltiness out of the cabbage.