Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Made haggis, neeps and tatties with mustard sauce (don't have any whisky at the moment).

Based on this recipe
https://thepeskyvegan.com/recipes/vegan-haggis/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

big scary monsters posted:

Nice! I've not tried making my own vegan haggis before, usually I get Macsween's version, which is pretty good. Stahly tinned haggis is also fine. I've found even a lot of meat eaters prefer the veggie version to the one made of offal. I like to mix mustard into the mash rather than as a sauce.

I've had the tinned stuff before and it's fine. Thing is I need to make enough for eight people and getting it on import in Sweden is extortionate.

Good shout on the mustard in the mash, will give that a go next time.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

My favourite part about instant pot rice is that the ratio is always 1:1 rice:water since there's no evaporation.

The only time I have trouble with set-and-forget is when I'm making anything thicker than a soup, as certain ingredients tend to stick to the bottom and cause a burn alarm.

Soup always works 100% though. Make some pea soup last night in it and it was bloody delicious. Slightly upset it took me this long in my life to discover pea soup tbh.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

von Braun posted:

Oh okay. Don’t think we have those in sweden.

Bizarrely we don't. I had to get mine from uk Amazon.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

von Braun posted:

Oh okay. Don’t think we have those in sweden.

Spotted this in ICA Maxi today. Basically the same thing as an instant pot.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

It looks great, how did it taste?

I've been hesitant to use citrus fruit in my porridge, something about them - the acidity maybe - makes the oats stay runny.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Lady Disdain posted:

I have never had vegan cheese that was much at all like real cheese.

I've had something close: a cashew cheese cultured with real bacteria. It was like a sliceable cream cheese more than a cheddar, but it had the right kind of lactic sourness real cheese has.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I'm sure I read before that human milk doesn't work for cheese for some reason. I looked it up and most of the references are to a chef called Daniel Angerer who made some for his restaurant.

He actually posted the recipe, but unfortunately it's 1:1 human:animal milk. So maybe it doesn't work on its own after all?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Anybody got fave meal prep recipes that are:
  1. Easily made in da instapot
  2. Low Calorie
Seems like most of the meal prep stuff is heavy on carbs and protein - calorie packed.

Any kind of low- or no-fat vegetable soup would fit your requirements.

The three macronutrients that provide energy are fat, carbs and protein. Fat has by far the highest caloric density so it makes sense to focus on carbs and protein while keeping fat levels low if your goal is to reduce caloric intake.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

mod saas posted:

Everything about this is true and it’s the best way to start, but it’s worth noting that some people (and I’m one of them) have satiety issues with carbs — counterintuitively, I eat fewer calories overall if I’m leaning more heavily into fats than carbs.

If you’re prepping meals with macro dials tuned away from fat but you’re still always wanting to eat, don’t be afraid to try adding it back in and seeing if you can find a balance point.

It probably depends on the type of fat. The same amount of calories from nuts probably leads to less weight gain than vegetable oil.

But yeah, I've noticed that certain things are way more satiating than others. I didn't get how a salad could be a whole meal until I started adding a carton of beans to each one.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

quote:

We use the term “detox” loosely. Our ideal of a good detox is just filling up on whole foods.
Looks like they're just doing it for clickbait. That definition I can get behind.

Speaking of whole foods, does anyone else here stick to mostly whole foods? That is, no refined sugar, oil, and other processed stuff (nothing bad added, nothing good taken away). It makes baking difficult since it seems like oil and sugar are structural elements in a lot of baked goods. Most of my attempts come out dense and a bit wet, rather than light and fluffy.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

No need to apologise, I was fishing for an explanation and you gave one! I had a hunch the oil played some functional role but wasn't sure exactly what it was.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

do you have a go to oil free cookie recipe?

I do!

One part walnuts (or other nuts), one part dates, one part oat flour.
Add spices to taste. I usually add some cinnamon.
Mix in a food processor.
Optional: Add raisins and pulse into mixture.
Form into cookie shapes.
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180C.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Lady Disdain posted:

I actually don't like cookies much, so no. But I can't imagine how cookies would turn out without fat; in my mind, what makes a cookie a cookie is its shortness, which is 100% dependant on fat content.
Report back if you try ^those ones, though; I'm curious.

These have fat from the nuts. I guess it doesn't work chemically in the same way you described earlier though.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I try to stick to whole food plant based but I don't bake much. From what I have seen they use nut butters and products like tahini to make up for the fat and stuff like coconut sugar, date products (syrup, sugar, etc), etc to make up for the sugar.
Yeah I use a lot of tahini, date syrup and nut butters where you'd normally use refined sugar and oil.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The stuff looks pretty good but results in some dense products.
Yeah it's not subtle. I use the exact same mixture as a sort of replacement for shortcrust pastry in cakes.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I will give this a spin, although I don't have nuts currently but I assume that nut butter can be used as a substitute for them? :cheers:
I've never actually tried, let us know how it goes!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Most of my sandwiches these days are falafel (meat) and tahini (cheese).

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Seetaphal/custard apple

Truly the most appropriately-named fruit. I love these things but you don't see them so often where I live.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I can't believe I only just now learned how to make refried beans. So easy, quick and delicious.

Friendship ended with falafel wrap, now refried bean wrap is my best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Suplex Liberace posted:

how you making em? i do mine just in onion and garlic infused oil.

Fry an onion and some garlic, add the beans, some spices (cumin, smoked paprika) and some water. Let it cook a minute, then squash the beans with a wooden spoon when the water is nearly evaporated.

I served it on a wrap with tahini sauce :discourse: