Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Those donuts look awesome!

I had dinner guests recently; one of them is vegan so I got to experiment with some vegan dishes. I mostly cook Italian food, and have really been into Pugliese dishes. It turns out that there are a number of them that are naturally vegan or can be easily veganized. One of my favorites is ciceri e tria: chickpeas with homemade pasta, part of which is fried and served as a garnish. There are lots of variations on it. Here's mine:

(As you can see, I added a little pecorino to mine. But it's good without it, too!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

yes, and given the Arab origins of the dish, I bet there's a connection. The key is the fried pasta, which is really amazing. The explanation you always hear is that it's supposed to be a meat substitute. It's not at all like meat, but it is really good in its own right.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Re: grilling, I made Michael Solomonov's cauliflower shawarma (from Israeli Soul) over the weekend and it absolutely slaps. It occurs to me that instead of brining and roasting the cauliflower, you could brine and grill, or even better, smoke it. Cut up the smoked cauliflower into florets, crisp them up in a cast iron pan with a little oil, and serve them as a pita or wrap with tahini-garlic sauce, chopped vegetables, pickles, and hot sauce? That would be an amazing sandwich.

(The recipe doesn't seem to be online, but there are many cauliflower shawarma recipes out there. I won't recommend any particular one as I haven't tried them.)

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Vegan tan tan ramen is very good and easy to make:

Too much broth for it to be really photogenic; still, tasted great

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Can anybody provide guidance on how to add fat to seitan? I've been experimenting with making vegan gyro meat and, while I can easily work on the spicing, the texture isn't what I want: the seitan is just too lean. I've been frying slices to put in the gyros, which is okay but not quite what I want. From what I can tell, adding more fat (olive or coconut oil) will make the mixture hard/crunchy. I'm wondering if I poach or confit the seitan in oil, maybe that will do the trick?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

Sauce Stache has a technique where he adds coconut oil to a portion of the seitan that's only partly finished being kneaded (the "fat"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRu-RuTmf8

I've never seen his videos before, but that's a great technique. Thanks!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

You barely need to cook

Mister Facetious posted:

Just wondering if any of ya'll had some ideas for using enoki to replace surimi in California rolls. Between the seasoned rice and sushi dipping sauce, it's hard to taste the mock crab in them anyway. Figured it'd be an easy substitution. Should I steam them? Pan fry? I barely use mushrooms to begin with, but I wanted to do tempura today.

You barely need to cook enoki mushrooms. For sushi, I’d probably just blanch them. Or just eat them raw, for a little more texture!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Lady Disdain posted:

Thanks.

Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with sauerkraut ? I usually turn it into byrek (filo pie) (which is what I'll end up doing this time as well unless I think of something else). I have 400 grams of live-culture spicy sauerkraut in the fridge. It's winter here, so something hot would be ideal.

Shchi (Russian cabbage soup) is hearty and delicious. I especially love the sour version, made with sauerkraut. There are tons of recipes online for vegan versions; here’s one but it’s about the least fiddly dish ever, so you can do what you want:

https://www.theppk.com/2012/10/sauerkraut-mushroom-soup-shchi/

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Sauerkraut pierogis are a traditional Polish rib-sticking dish. Pretty easy to veganize if you’re comfortable with vegan dough. This (kraut & mushrooms) looks good:

https://www.zuckerjagdwurst.com/en/recipes/vegane-polnische-piroggen-mit-sauerkraut-and-pilzen

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Tres tacos de papa for Taco Thursday. Very very good.

Recipe from Saveur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Lady Disdain posted:

I have a bring-a-plate thing coming up for work.
I need something that I can make ahead of time and can either be eaten cold/room temp, microwaved, or done in a crockpot.
Any suggestions ?

That covers a lot of ground! But I know you like to bake, and for a work potluck I guarantee everybody will like Philadelphia’s greatest contribution to world food culture, tomato pie. (It’s really a cheese-free room temperature pizza, and it’s terrific.)